The Quorn Should be Outlawed.

Options
I read what Quorn was comprised of and was surprised. It's nothing but fungus and it's a known allergen.

http://www.cspinet.org/quorn/
Medical studies have proven that Quorn's fungal ingredient is an allergen, but the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and the United Kingdom's Food Standards Agency still allow its sale. The Center for Science in the Public Interest, a non-profit food-safety organization based in Washington, D.C., has heard from more than 2,000 consumers in Europe, the United States, and Australia/New Zealand who suffered reactions to Quorn.

They sell this stuff at a Whole Foods near me and I had a friend recently have an allergic reaction to it. I'm not saying that the Quorn is going to outright kill you but if you have any allergic reaction to fungus or even if you can eat mushroom be careful. It's not the same type of fungus as mushrooms.

Family Files Lawsuit After Son Dies From Reaction to Quorn

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Lots of things are known allergens. We don't outlaw them, we require appropriate labeling.

Why should something be outlawed just because some people are allergic to it?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I just hope no one tried to ban peanut butter from stores just because people have allergic reactions that could lead to death. That said, I'd support putting a warning on it, just like there is on peanut butter.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    It's a know allergen? Like that means anything

If you're not allergic it's fine

You didn't know it was fungus?

Personally I like beef but there's nothing wrong with quorn if you don't have a reaction to it

Me? I find egg yolk and prawns to be "known allergens" for me
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Personally I like beef but there's nothing wrong with quorn if you don't have a reaction to it

I think it's that they market it as beef. Have you seen the packaging pictures? Perhaps they should just be made to put a disclaimer on the front.
  • skysiebaby
    skysiebaby Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    That's really interesting. I've been eating Quorn for years here in the UK and knew what it was made from but not that it had caused problems. I love Quorn though, as a veggie it's great source of protein!
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

I think it's that they market it as beef. Have you seen the packaging pictures? Perhaps they should just be made to put a disclaimer on the front.

In the US, Quorn is marketed as a meat substitute. Are we talking about the same product?
  • skysiebaby
    Options

Maybe its different in the US then as over here its always marketed as a vegetarian option to meat?
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    skysiebaby wrote: »
    That's really interesting. I've been eating Quorn for years here in the UK and knew what it was made from but not that it had caused problems. I love Quorn though, as a veggie it's great source of protein!

It causes problems for people who are allergic to mushrooms / fungus

Cos it's fungus :bigsmile:

..it can't just be me, can it?
  • _Waffle_
    Options

In the US, Quorn is marketed as a meat substitute. Are we talking about the same product?

Yeah, but the packaging just has tiny print that says it's a substitute and a giant picture of what looks like grilled chicken. Quorn marketing is devious.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

They market it as a ground meat substitute don't they?

The packaging calls it meat free mince
  • skysiebaby
    edited November 2015
    Options
    skysiebaby wrote: »

It causes problems for people who are allergic to mushrooms / fungus

Cos it's fungus :bigsmile:

..it can't just be me, can it?

Haha no, I agree! I wonder whether its the way its advertised other than in the UK then...we used to laugh that it was made from fungus :)
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    I just hope no one tried to ban peanut butter from stores just because people have allergic reactions that could lead to death. That said, I'd support putting a warning on it, just like there is on peanut butter.

Contains nuts?
  • auddii
    Options

Contains nuts?

Ha, I meant an applicable warning, not a random one :)
  • Sued0nim
    Options

Contains nuts?

Ahhh

Makes you fart
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    If I eat shrimp my throat swells, but I love to see other people enjoy it, and I certainly wouldn't expect it to be banned. I do have to be extra careful to protect myself.

• janejellyroll
    Options

Yeah, but the packaging just has tiny print that says it's a substitute and a giant picture of what looks like grilled chicken. Quorn marketing is devious.

The packages I see say "meatless." I don't know if outlawing a product is a good response to a handful of people who can't read (or don't read) and think they are buying beef instead.

Tell your friend to read the package. I have never seen a meat substitute that wasn't noted as such on the package.
  • auddii
    Options

Contains nuts?

Ahhh

Makes you fart

That warning should also be on eggs...
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    quorn1.jpg

I haven't bought it in probably 10 years, but it used to say mycoprotein on it...I distinctly remember that being labeled somewhere on the package (maybe the back).
  • _Waffle_
    Options

Contains nuts?

I've actually seen that warning on a jar of peanuts. It's funny but true.

I think an applicable warning would be "Caution. If you have an allergic reaction to fungus then DON"T EAT THIS. IT'S A FUNGUS."

Meanwhile the market is all... "It's practically chicken!"

05b86d9c_Quorn-chicken-pieces.jpeg
  • dietstokes
    dietstokes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Oh come on. If people eat things without reading the labels, especially people who have allergies, then that's on them. Its pretty dumb in my opinion to eat anything without knowing what is in it. Doubly so if you have such bad allergies to things that you can go into anaphylactic shock. Isn't that allergy 101: know what's in your food/in your environment/etc (dependent of course on your allergies). I know I am allergic to cats. So if I am going to someones house I've never been to before, I take allergy pills and an inhaler with me, just to be safe (same for outdoor allergens during bad allergy seasons). If we start banning things someone might be allergic to, then we are going to not have very much to eat at all (you can find someone allergic to pretty much everything out there).