The Quorn Should be Outlawed.

Options
123457»

Replies

• AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Yeah,I have no idea what quorn even is..
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    don't be fooled

it's not chicken

it's not even chicken-like

• thin1dayplease
    thin1dayplease Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Everything is an allergen if you are allergic to it... nuts, fish, eggs soya. They don't outlaw these and I am sure alot of people are allergic to them :/
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    AspenDan wrote: »
    Yeah,I have no idea what quorn even is..

its pretend meat
    its not pleasant in my opinion. tried the sausages. didnt like it
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    42firm03 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    There may be a distinct marketing difference ..quorn has been available here since mid 90s ..it's well know. And available in all supermarkets

Middle aged American here. I shop and cook a lot. I wonder if it's new or newish here.
    I've never heard of it and wouldn't have had a clue what mycoprotein is till you guys talked about.
    Seems It should have an allergen statement on it.

Young American here, and I agree, I have only heard of this because my sister in law went vegan and likes it when we all go to vegan/vegetarian restaurants together (she's desperately trying to convert us). That one time in that one place was the only time I have ever even heard of it, I don't shop at whole foods, cause $$$$$$$$ so I have never encountered it in the package.

I just want to point out to your sister in law that Quorn is not a vegan food.

It was something I was considering at a vegan SLASH vegetarian restaurant. I think she knew. She doesn't approve of meat substitutes, as well as animal products in general.

My only issue with meat substitutes is that actual meat tastes much better. I'd be okay with this stuff if they'd be up front about the potential allergic reaction in large print. Something like the Surgeon General warning on cigarette packages.

So, again, do you think this Surgeon General's warning should be on peanut butter? Shellfish? All other allergens?

I haven't really weighed in on this issue which is heartbreakingly sad, but the company has labeled everything correctly including the statements that Mycoprotein is from the fungi family and bolded it on the ingredient label as an allergen.

*edited to fix a typo

Why not. It's more deadly than cigarettes if you're allergic to it. Mostly I just think that shaping a food into the shape of a food it is not and marketing it as a food it is not should be labeled. If someone made chicken looking peanut butter patties and had them depicted as grilled chicken on the front I think that should be declared.

If this food was sold as it really was and not as pretend meat then it would require no warning.

Do you think a chicken would recognise a chicken breast as one of its relatives?

this made me laugh.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I have a few food allergies so I read everything on packages. If I don't know what an ingredient is, I look it up to be sure or just don't buy it.

It's very sad someone died, but I do think the parent holds some blame here. Why would anyone feed their child an unfamiliar food when they know they have allergies?

All the quorn I've seen is clearly labeled and does not claim to be meat. I've only seen it with other substitutes in the vegetarian/vegan areas of stores.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    I demand we stop calling it mycoprotein and call it scrapping from athlete's foot.
    I also demand we stop fooling ourselves with the term lactose and instead says cow tit squeezings.
    I also demand we stop using contains eggs, and instead say contains stuff that comes from a chicken's poop shoot (they have a cloaca, so yeah, same hole). chicken menstruation
    I also demand instead of contains nuts, we say contains plant embryos.

FIFY

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand there goes breakfast for the next 3 weeks til I forget this happened.

Oh, your sister doesn't throw that one at you? I used to work with a preachy vegan who was constantly telling us that eggs are "chicken periods." :sick:
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    I demand we stop calling it mycoprotein and call it scrapping from athlete's foot.
    I also demand we stop fooling ourselves with the term lactose and instead says cow tit squeezings.
    I also demand we stop using contains eggs, and instead say contains stuff that comes from a chicken's poop shoot (they have a cloaca, so yeah, same hole). chicken menstruation

FIFY

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand there goes breakfast for the next 3 weeks til I forget this happened.

Oh, your sister doesn't throw that one at you? I used to work with a preachy vegan who was constantly telling us that eggs are "chicken periods." :sick:

God, I hate that phrase. It's so embarrassing to me to see or hear people use it seriously.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

FIFY

My usually response to throw it back is, "well now I really want eggs." They feel a little regret about using it after that.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

FIFY

My usually response to throw it back is, "well now I really want eggs." They feel a little regret about using it after that.

*snort*

I think we are much alike. Makes me glad I don't work with anyone like that. I'd have been fired ages ago ...
  • bakemma
    bakemma Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I love Quorn Nuggets. Yummy Yummy
  • 60muffin
    60muffin Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to orange pith so I have to wear a mask if anyone peels it in the same room. Strangely I can consume them and I don't have a problem with satsumas, yea go figure. I certainly wouldn't stop anyone enjoying one on my account. When I was working as a health and safety issue all staff were asked to bring in their oranges ready peeled......problem solved and nobody complained.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

FIFY

@maidentl I tuerned it around on a vegan and successfully argued that if a vegan can use manure to fertilise vegetables, they can eat eggs, because they are both a waste product that is produced on a regular basis by the typical animal of its type with no human intervention.