Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Anybody have excellent butter substitutions?

valleycyclone
valleycyclone Posts: 6 Member
I want to lower my amount of unsaturated fats. I love to eat sauteed vegetables and fried eggs! I realize it probably won't provide the same flavor but I would love a healthier option. Thanks for the help!:)

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,838 Member
    Extra virgin olive oil. -- our favorite is Colavita because we like its strong, peppery taste. We even like it on popcorn. You may prefer a milder brand.

Canola oil, especially expeller-pressed. We switched from buying the cheapest to buying the expeller-pressed at Trader Joe's because of the increased evidence that oil produced by using hexane & heat loses its healthy characteristics.

Here's a good article talking about the different types of fat: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/2016/07/05/different-dietary-fat-different-risk-of-mortality/

Here's a good article about choosing canola oils: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/2015/04/13/ask-the-expert-concerns-about-canola-oil/
  • valleycyclone
    Thank you so much for the suggestions and articles!
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    I eat sautéed veggies daily. And a fried egg at least 2x a week.
    Buy a really great non-stick frying pan. No need for any oil or butter of any kind.
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    I usually will steam/saute veggies in a small amount of fat free chicken broth! Then I add a little salt and garlic powder or other seasoning! So good!
  • valleycyclone
    Thanks everyone for great suggestions!
  • laurelisme
    laurelisme Posts: 6 Member
    If you want butter taste try earth balance spread. I have dairy issues, so I use that. It tastes good and is plant based so less unsaturated fat.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    It's the trans fat in margarines that are the problem. Look for one with low trans fat content.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/butter-vs-margarine/faq-20058152

If I want butter, I want butter for the taste. I eat it occasionally - I'll go through maybe a stick of butter in a month. All things in moderation. Otherwise, I use Pam or olive oil for cooking and a non-stick pan, and a butter flavored spray on my veggies -- though sometimes I'll have a pat of butter on my veggies.

For those on coumadin: canola oil and soybean oil have the highest amount of vitamin K, so use these with caution.
  • Tresadaigle
    Tresadaigle Posts: 2 Member
    Nuvel Canola & Olive oil Margarine is what I use. Only one with no soy. (allergies)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I just use the spray stuff most of the time. Sometimes a bit of oil.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    I went to one of those specialty olive oil and vinegar stores recently. They sell an olive oil that has a buttery flavor. They suggested pouring a little in a jar and keeping in the frig. It will solidify and get about the color of butter but is still spreadable. bellanonnasoils.com/collections/fused-infused-olive-oils/products/butter-olive-oil
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    vingogly wrote: »
    It's the trans fat in margarines that are the problem. Look for one with low trans fat content.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/butter-vs-margarine/faq-20058152

If I want butter, I want butter for the taste. I eat it occasionally - I'll go through maybe a stick of butter in a month. All things in moderation. Otherwise, I use Pam or olive oil for cooking and a non-stick pan, and a butter flavored spray on my veggies -- though sometimes I'll have a pat of butter on my veggies.

For those on coumadin: canola oil and soybean oil have the highest amount of vitamin K, so use these with caution.

Yep. Just be sure you're not substituting butter for something worse.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    I eat sautéed veggies daily. And a fried egg at least 2x a week.
    Buy a really great non-stick frying pan. No need for any oil or butter of any kind.

This or literally just a few drops of oil spread across the pan before heating it.
  • valleycyclone
    Wow, a lot of people have replied! Thank you so much for all the ideas! I will test definitely be testing these out.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,623 Member
    I use olive oil or real butter. I use 1-2 tsp or sometime i do use 1 tbl but it's in my eating plan. Margarine is 1 molecule away from plastic & didn't start off to be edible
  • lizandrashaw
    lizandrashaw Posts: 154 Member
    Not for veggies, but if you are baking muffins or cake, you can substitute unsweetened applesauce for most or all of your butter/oil.
  • BiomedDent
    BiomedDent Posts: 107 Member
    Butter bud sachets. I use them to mix into things.http://www.lakeland.co.uk/6744/Butter-Buds®-40-Sachets-Of-Dried-Low-Fat-Butter
  • vanmlller
    vanmlller Posts: 2 Member
    Well I can't under stand why you would not want to eat butter.....olive oil, coconut butter or ghee...we know eating a high fat diet with low carbs no sugar.... = healthy weight lose ....
    Diet foods are franken foods and they make us fat.... check movie ...hungry for change... I do this myself and I promise it works ....and its healthy ...you don't have to suffer to balance your body ...you can loose weight enjoy food and be happy ...amazing but true ...
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    I use 2-3g of good quality butter when I saute because it tastes awesome!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I just use olive oil or butter spray.