Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Another study about how Red Meat is going to kill us

Options
crazyycatladyy1
crazyycatladyy1 Posts: 156 Member
edited May 2017 in Debate Club
Well, maybe-

http://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/2017/05/17/red-meat-eaters-may-have-higher-risk-dying-from-these-9-diseases.html

actual study-
http://www.bmj.com/content/357/bmj.j1957

I've recently switched to a more whole foods, plant based diet with fish almost daily, (loosely basing my woe on one of the blue zones right now). I'm focused on adding certain things to my diet, (veggies, whole grains, beans, fish etc), and have reduced my meat consumption to balance these additions, (only so many hours and calories in the day). I still eat beef around 1 time a week, have completely eliminated pork except for the occasional bacon, and the biggest reduction has actually been chicken-I've pretty much swapped the daily chicken I was eating with fish. It would seem that I'm on the right track, barring the chicken reduction, but who knows.

Thoughts on the study?

eta: edited for clarity

Replies

• crazyycatladyy1
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I can't speak to much of this because I often find that these studies are so loaded with jargon that I have to read it a few times before I get everything, but in relation to iron - red meat is something that people with high iron are told to eat sparingly. So for that one, I completely agree. If you're eating something that has a high iron content and you have iron overload that's obviously bad for you. It's also extremely common - one in every two to three hundred people - but so many people have it and go undiagnosed and iron overload, if left untreated, has numerous side effects like bronzing of the skin, arthritis, fatigue, organ failure, liver cancer, etc.

But otherwise, I don't know.

If I eat a ton of tuna at some point that will be bad for me.
    If I only drink pop at some point that will be bad for me.
    If I only eat bananas at some point that will be bad for me.

So far these studies only ever make me feel like I'm right in my thinking that moderation is key.

Yeah, I have a hard time understanding what the actual studies are saying, but I know there's sciency people here who live and breath this stuff lol :) I always appreciate it when people break down studies and pull out what actually is being said/found vs what a headline on a news article is saying!
  • crazyycatladyy1
    Options
    Oh fudge, you quoted me before I made my corrections lol

just updated my post to reflect your updated post :)
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    you can find a study to support any position. jus sayin.
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I thought fish was a type of meat.....
  • anaxmann
    anaxmann Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Interesting study. Probably won't make me eat more white meat and less red meat. Although, I have to wonder what the tipping point is for statistically increased risk, maybe I already eat an appropriate balance.
  • crazyycatladyy1
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Macy9336 wrote: »
    I thought fish was a type of meat.....

From what I understand of the study it shows that chicken and fish don't cause issues, just red meat (processed and non-processed).

Or are you referring to my woe in the op?
  • crazyycatladyy1
    Options
    egad, fox news. now i have to question my working hypothesis.

the study is the second link in the op (the fox article included it, which was refreshing).
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    BEEF - it's what's for dinner. :p

JK - it's chicken and dumplings tonight.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    you can find a study to support any position. jus sayin.

Show me a study to show that obesity makes people grow wings and fly. Otherwise, this is BS. jus sayin.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    My take is that more than likely there is a correlation between eating a lot of red meat and processed meat and a poor diet in general in regards to the general populace. So is it the red meat, or is it that their diet is lacking in fruit and veg and just nutritionally lacking in general...and also likely lacking in regular physical activity.

This is what I was going to say.

I think there's some evidence that there might be something more than a correlation with red meat, but is it that significant, such that it outweighs what the benefits of eating it might be for an individual? Not stressing, eating a generally nutrient-dense diet, being able to easily avoid overeating might--for an individual--be related to not worrying about red meat consumption (same with dairy, eating some processed meat, eating meat in general, carb percentage, mercury in fish, etc.), so for the most part I find these interesting but they don't deeply affect how I eat.

I've varied a lot in how much meat I eat, eating a lot right now, but also eat fish a lot (nearly daily -- don't care about mercury since I'm not going to get pregnant), and prioritize eating vegetables. I think most dietary differences matter less than things like stress, sleep, community, and exercise/activity.

There's an enormous diversity in traditional diets (although current blue zones mostly are more plant-based, yeah), and for the most part they don't seem to have led to the kinds of bad health results that the western pattern diet/lifestyle does.
  • crazyycatladyy1
    Options
    sorry op, i didn't mean for my disdain for the msm to turn into rudeness. I quit meat and dairy some time ago. i heard recently that chicken breast is just as bad about cholesterol and inflammation as red meat. it seems like we hear something different every day. I do feel better since laying off m&d though.

totally understandable, I read fox news with a hefty dose of skepticism :p
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Meat will kill me, but it will be a glorious, delicious death. :smirk:
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    subcounter wrote: »
    Just because some data correlates to one another, it doesn't mean that they have causality, this somehow seems like one of these:

Except for that one about lemons and highway fatalities. That's 100% legit! Lemons, I have my eye on you!

I will say that my rheumatologist (for lupus) says that he can see in people's blood work that the inflammation markers go down if they reduce red meat and eat more vegetables instead. But that's in a select population of course and not a broad study. But when he said he could tell I thought "ok, there's probably something there." I know others will disagree vehemently though.

I like the comments about moderation in everything, though honestly, I'm not sure that many people today even know what moderation looks like, with all the portion-skewing and easy availability of every type of food.

I'm not convinced chicken or fish are healthy things to eat in large amounts either. Aren't they always testing stuff and telling us that it's contaminated and poisoned and toxic?

Not why I'm vegan though, I'm vegan for ethics so I don't always read up on all the various meat health studies. However, all the health studies on vegetables, I'm all over those.