Short people get the shaft

Options

Replies

• RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    OK, for everyone listing their TDEE/BMR, cool, just replace the 2000+ with your number and assume that shorter people of equal activity levels are much less. :-) The question still stands, and is interesting!

Actually no. You are 5'4 and bmr 1200s (I did the calculation and it's 1272)
    and I'm 5'8 bmr 1316. I wouldn't say yours is much less than mine.

5'4" is short? I always thought I was on the tall side for a girl. Probably just my 6th grade self remembering being taller than all the boys in the class. :D
  • StarvingAuthor
    StarvingAuthor Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Food choices can always be made where you can cut something out for wine. However, you have to weigh if you are going to be nutritionally satisfied enough with the cut to make the wine worth it. Depending on the variety, wine is apparently 110-330 calories, so let's go with 220 just to keep it in the middle.

Breakfast
    Coffee w/ sugar & creamer - 85 calories
    1 cup oatmeal - 300 calories
    1/2 cup milk - 75 calories

Lunch
    4 eggs - 280 calories
    1 ounce cheese - 110 calories
    (390 calories)

Dinner (btw I'm starving by now)
    Salad Mix (40 calories)
    1 Tbsp Salad Dressing (120 calories)
    4 ounces pasta (400 calories)
    1 cup sauce (100 calories)
    (660 calories)

--whoops, that's 1,510 calories. What if...

Coffee w/ sugar and creamer - 85 calories
    4 eggs - 280 calories

Salad Mix - 40 calories
    Salad dressing - 120 calories
    2 pieces toast - 120 calories

1 cup dry rice, cooked - 640 calories
    1 cup vegetables - 80 calories
    Soy sauce - ~10 calories

So thats 1,375 but the wine would put us over. It's rough to do low calories and make room for wine.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    So thats 1,375 but the wine would put us over. It's rough to do low calories and make room for wine.
    Lol, nice attempt!! Now try it on 1200 while meeting the recommended 1g protein for ever lb of ideal weight ( or even the .6g protein per lb current weight). If it can be done, the person doing it has to be better at math than I am!

Good news for me tho! I take my coffee black! +85
  • StarvingAuthor
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »
    Lol, nice attempt!! Now try it on 1200 while meeting the recommended 1g protein for ever lb of ideal weight ( or even the .6g protein per lb current weight). If it can be done, the person doing it has to be better at math than I am!

...ugh. Okay, here is my attempt, tailored for your (ew) black coffee and 1g protein. :P I'm going to say you're aiming for 120lbs? IDK your height/weight; I assume a bit shorter than myself.

Breakfast
    Black Gross Coffee - 0
    3 scrambled eggs - 210 (18g protein)
    1 oz mozzarella cheese - 80 (8g protein)
    (290 calories, 26g protein)

Lunch
    Salad Mix - 40
    1 tbsp Salad Dressing - 120
    140g chicken breast - 231 calories (43g protein)
    (391 calories, 43g protein)

Dinner
    231g Cod Filet - 190 calories (41g protein)
    1 oz mozzarella cheese - 80 calories (8g protein)
    1 cup vegetable mix - 80 calories
    (350 calories, 49g protein)

Snack
    7 carrot stick (35 calories)
    1 celery stalk (6 calories)
    (41 calories)

This day gives you 118gprotein and 1,072 calories, so you can treat yourself to a wholesome 128 calorie snack, you lucky girl. Maybe 1/2 a cup of wine?
  • ryenday
    Options

This day gives you 118gprotein and 1,072 calories, so you can treat yourself to a wholesome 128 calorie snack, you lucky girl. Maybe 1/2 a cup of wine?

Wow, you totally rock!!! Saving the menu for when I go back to diet from current maintenance break! That is about what I am aiming for Protein-wise so you win the Internet!

Seriously tho, I totally am sick of eating like that. I happen to be allergic to eggs so I eat much like your plan but with less breakfast and with protein powder drink (made with leftover cold black gross coffee - lol). On maintenance I am so enjoying my fruit and potatoes here and there! I have even THOUGHT about that glass of wine, though one week into maintenance eating and I haven't yet indulged. But knowing that I can do so guilt free has been almost better than actually indulging :)
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Switch out the mozzarella for low fat cottage cheese. Tinned tuna as an alternative to chicken. Giant bowl of salad if you're a volume person. Switch salad dressing for balsamic or a lower calorie version. More savings.
  • StarvingAuthor
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Switch out the mozzarella for low fat cottage cheese. Tinned tuna as an alternative to chicken. Giant bowl of salad if you're a volume person. Switch salad dressing for balsamic or a lower calorie version. More savings.

This is a likely substitute, especially because she can't eat eggs. So, to make up for the egg protein:

1 cup low fat 1% cottage cheese - 160 calories (28g protein)
    1 medium peach (that is sliced into the cottage cheese and sprinkled with cinnamon to be delicious) - 60 calories
    220 calories, 28g protein - better than the breakfast I posted in both protein and calories.

The tuna can is 100 calories and 20g protein, so she'd have to do 2 cans, so 200 calories, 40g protein - also better than my posted chicken.

Fish is just great.

Good luck, ryen! The only way its really doable is with fish, IMO.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »

bwahaha. Lowfat cottage cheese for the protein if you like it (fortunately I love it)(lowfat greek yogurt too, but I don't enjoy yogurt much without somewhat carb-y mix-ins)!...Unfortunately, It can also be a bit hard to meet minimum recommended fat as well below a certain number of calories (due to cutting out high calorie density foods).

I typically wouldn't try to make it work on 1200 total calories, but I usually only really want to drink wine when I'm at a dancing venue - so 1 glass (~120 cal for 5 oz) will usually take care of itself unless we have a shortage of leads.

• deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    All I can tell you is that things didn't change for me until I quit with excessive cardio and started lifting heavy.

A few years ago, I was doing 5-10 hours a week of cardio, not lifting, maintaining around 1600 calories.

Fast forward to now, I lift heavy 4-5 days a week (1-1.5hrs lifting + 15-20 minutes of cardio after)...I'm the exact same weight...2 sizes smaller and maintain on 2300 calories.

Maybe you are looking at this from the wrong angle...
  • ryenday
    Options
    First off, thanks for the ideas folks!! And, to all: cinnamon makes Everything better! ( well cinnamon OR garlic. Everything is better with one or the other)
    All I can tell you is that things didn't change for me until I quit with excessive cardio and started lifting heavy.

A few years ago, I was doing 5-10 hours a week of cardio, not lifting, maintaining around 1600 calories.

Fast forward to now, I lift heavy 4-5 days a week (1-1.5hrs lifting + 15-20 minutes of cardio after)...I'm the exact same weight...2 sizes smaller and maintain on 2300 calories.

Maybe you are looking at this from the wrong angle...

I'm doing strength work ( bodyweight YAYOG program) for the reason so many people say exactly that AND b/c I certainly want to NOT lose muscle. I wish I could say I like it, but I hate it unfortunately. Will continue to do it but I'm doubtful I'll ever like it.

As for excessive cardio, the aqua fit instructor is currently starting us on Pilates ("pool-ates") and I'm definitely keeping the classes for now because I sure can feel how badly my core muscles needed it. Swimming tho, not doing it for cardio as much as for love and relaxation- no plans to give that up until I'm on my death bed (many decades from now, I hope.). I often cant get a ride to the gym, so I have to walk there or bike there... nope, don't see where to cut the cardio right now. 5-10 hours cant seriously be thought of as excessive tho, can it?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

This is a likely substitute, especially because she can't eat eggs. So, to make up for the egg protein:

1 cup low fat 1% cottage cheese - 160 calories (28g protein)
    1 medium peach (that is sliced into the cottage cheese and sprinkled with cinnamon to be delicious) - 60 calories
    220 calories, 28g protein - better than the breakfast I posted in both protein and calories.

The tuna can is 100 calories and 20g protein, so she'd have to do 2 cans, so 200 calories, 40g protein - also better than my posted chicken.

Fish is just great.

Good luck, ryen! The only way its really doable is with fish, IMO.

It's actually easier to do with chicken, assuming that one utilizes breast tenderloin cuts, which is just breast meat with no rib meat attached, all visible fat removed, and rendered PUFAs poured away. It's usually a bit more pricey than just standard breasts, but it's amazing when one is working with poverty macros. I use it all of the time when running my rapid cuts.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    He he. Alas, our small efficient bodies don't burn a whole lot exercising. (At ~74 calories/mile, the +700 calories to get to the 2200 TDEE mentioned above requires the equivalent of running 9.5 miles on a daily basis..I usually only manage that on the weekends).

I'm not that short but only burn about 50 cal/mile. I always envy those who burn 800+ calories running 8 miles compared to my measly 400.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I'm male, so often I find that people want to assume that I should be eating 3K-4K for maintenance. I'm 5'7", so I'm short, but not terribly short. I've had my RMR measured in a lab at 1,500 and I have a tremendous appetite. I'll admit my appetite is not nearly what it was when I was heavier (there was a time when I could easily put down 25K-30K in a day); but I still find calorie restriction challenging even on days when I'm very active. Also, my long runs of several hours still don't give me enough calories to satisfy my appetite. That is even when sticking to very low carb (which I find to be more filling as well).
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Short people can have a higher TDEE - they just have to move more.
    I'm short (5ft 2 / 48yrs), my TDEE averages 2000. I'm active. If I weren't, I could maintain on 1500. I don't feel I've gotten the shaft as it definately takes much less to fill me than it does my 6ft 2 hubby.
    I do have to think of food as fuel and eat for satiety/energy but each day I will have a choccie biscuit/bar so always leave enough calories for those.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    It seems like short people are always complaining that we get the 'short' end of the stick with low calorie requirements (my BMR is like...1200 or something). Tall people on the other hand are blessed with TDEEs of 2,000+! Jerks!

But! I wonder:

Do short people actually get less hungry than tall people? Do tall people feel like their 2000+ calories are insufficient unless properly nutritionally mapped out? Are short people not really considering that tall people are hungrier than us and at the end of the day it all balances out and puts us in the same boat?

HMMM......

ETA: OK, for everyone listing their TDEE/BMR, cool, just replace the 2000+ with your number and assume that shorter people of equal activity levels are much less. :-) The question still stands, and is interesting!

I have wondered this for FOREVER. Like I still get pretty hungry when training, but when on hiatus I usually get by and am *full* with only 1,000-1,200 calories x day. Just wish I could stuff my face with 2,000+ calories of food x day! I would go H.A.M.!
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I'm 5'1'', 178 lbs (I'm sure I get some extra cals just because I'm heavier) but I've averaging 2300 right now and my weight is trending down. I'm guessing maintenance is 2500+

Can't say I've ever felt personally victimized because of my height lol. I also lift heavy several days per week.
    ETA- Oh, and I'm hypothyroid.
    *Shrug emoji*
  • threec
    threec Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm confused by some of the previous posts because I'm 5'2 and a half (I round up to 5'3) sw 141.1 cw is 133.7, goal is 120 and previous pre-husband, pre-kid weight was 115-120.

MFP gives me 1200 calories to lose 1.5 a week at sedentary , and Fitbit says as long as I maintain a -750 calorie deficit I should be on track for that. I try to get my TDEE up to 2200 and eat between 1250-1400 calories. Granted getting my TDEE up to that point is more difficult as a few pounds leave and I may have to be satisfied with 2000 bit it gives me room for what I want. Even if I do have to make time to work for it