Short people get the shaft

Options

Replies

• mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and maintain at 2300 calories...also compete in powerlifting. My energy needs are pretty high.

I don't think "short people gain muscle easier," that sounds like major broscience. I do look more built than my husband who is 6'3, b/c my limbs are shorter. I guarantee that he still has more muscle...he outweighs me by 75lbs.

ETA: I'm hungry all of the time...

I read a long article yesterday about all of the ways that tall lifters have it tough (long lever arms for most exercises, more flexibility required). I'm 6'3" and I'd love to believe that's why I'm not stronger, but - because my son is a competitive high school basketball player - I know a LOT of guys over 6'6" who are strong AF and have successfully packed on a lot of muscle, so I don't really buy it. Sigh.

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    weemsdm wrote: »
    Height has little to do with calorie requirements--weight and activity are the primary factors. Two people who each weigh 125 pounds will have similar calorie needs for similar activity, whether 5'0" or 5'7".

True..but only one of them isn't on the borderline of being fat at that weight.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    weemsdm wrote: »
    Height has little to do with calorie requirements--weight and activity are the primary factors. Two people who each weigh 125 pounds will have similar calorie needs for similar activity, whether 5'0" or 5'7".

Lean mass is more important than weight, and the 5'0 person would have less lean mass at 125 than the 5'7 person. But TDEE is ALSO about activity, and the two will have similar burns for similar amounts of activity, true.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »
    The dang thread is "do short people get the shaft" and my opinion is they do. Why? B/c MATH folks. So I posted my opinion.

Nothing wrong with your opinion, but the thread isn't really about support (other threads are, of course, but this is debate) and as I understand it the idea that someone 5'1 will have a lower TDEE than someone 6'1, on average, all else equal (and BIG factors are included in my "all else equal") was a given. The question is whether it evens out because someone 5'1 needs and probably desires fewer calories than someone 6'1, in rough ratio to their TDEEs, or not.

IMO, no idea, can't say. I am inclined to the idea that people (not food insecure) more often than not want to eat because food is tasty and available and others around them are eating and it looks desirable, and not just hunger. So while I would agree that someone will usually be able to be not hungry on their actual TDEE, whatever it is, I do think those factors might be harder for someone short (and I'm 5'3, so sort of short, although not very).

If you go so far as to say that it's harder for short people because short people can't have wine without skipping breakfast or can never have pizza, that I would personally disagree with, but of course someone with a TDEE of 1800 can fit in pizza or wine less easily than someone with a TDEE of 3000, presumably.

As for TDEE, my predicted TDEE (if sedentary) is 1550, for maintenance. But that's for sedentary. If I just walk enough to be lightly active it's more like 1850. If I do some intentional exercise, it's more. Can I still go over it easily without thinking if I am thoughtless or if I indulge in some high cal foods? Of course, but does this make it harder for me than for someone 6'3 and super active? IMO, can't say. Even for myself how easy it has been has varied from time to time (sometimes it's hard, sometimes it's not), and my height has not changed at all.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Ok, last reply. I am making no excuses. Weight loss for me IS a miserable existence. It is what it is - as I have said all along I do lose weight (1/3 lb a week pretty steady for 6 mos if we include initial water weight) in 1200 calories daily allotment. I do eat closer to 1400 on swim days. I have made plenty of lifestyle adjustments including regular exercise.

The picture I posted is of a calculator predicting an Average person of my size and age and height's maintenance calories allotment and weight loss allotment. I posted it to support my opinion that short people get the shaft. Mine are clearly lower, but if you do the math it is still within a 20% margin of error, so probably there are plenty of folk like me out there on MFP silenced - unwilling to be attacked like I have been here.

Advice and support? Lol, that would be someone saying something like " gosh, that looks hard to do on that low calories, you have done great sticking with it! Maybe if you are miserable take a break from those low calories, or try IF so you have some extra calories to play with .... One person on the thread DID try, she put together a meal plan for a day in that restricted way to do it. I thanked her.

The dang thread is "do short people get the shaft" and my opinion is they do. Why? B/c MATH folks. So I posted my opinion. Then the snarky, strange you are doing it wrong comments started and I tried to defend myself and support my opinion.

So you can all pat yourselves on the back and be smug about your above average NEATS and TDEES that you obviously deserve because you loved losing weight and are positive and happy about weight loss and worked so hard to up your calories.

I'm proud of my 20ish hard fought miserable experience weight loss pounds gone. Yes, I think it sucks to be miserable. So, I happily accept good advice that can be implemented. I've never given up, and am doing the best I can with what nature is giving me to work with : a below average but within a 20% of normal predicted calorie allotment/burn.

Short people get shafted, yes that is my opinion. I tried to support that opinion with a calorie allotment calculator screen shot ( I believe in response to something someone said about it is never necessary to go down to 1200 to lose weight, short or not), I tried to support the opinion with my own experience. But that was obviously MFP blasphemy and personal attacks ensued. I made the mistake of trying to defend myself and my opinion. More personal character attacks.

So I make my last post. Have fun in your mutual admiration society - congratulations on how well you've done.

Don't bother with me, the person whose still doing her best to get to the maintenance side of the fence, I'll not trouble you further with realism instead of blind optimism, with math instead of hope, and with my blasphemous unpopular opinions. I'll be too busy working on getting fitter and healthier. - Off to swim, now. Bye.

This is fine, if your maths were right, but it's not. As has been displayed by many here using their own stats and having a guess at yours and running them through calculators.

Shrug. Carry on. But don't think your height is what is making you worse off. It's probably logging accuracy TBH because there's nothing wrong with your TDEE regardless of what you think.

or extended periods of dieting have caused adaptive thermosis (or whatever the word is) - tied with an increase in cortisol which hampers weight loss
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    The dang thread is "do short people get the shaft" and my opinion is they do. Why? B/c MATH folks. So I posted my opinion.

Nothing wrong with your opinion, but the thread isn't really about support (other threads are, of course, but this is debate) and as I understand it the idea that someone 5'1 will have a lower TDEE than someone 6'1, on average, all else equal (and BIG factors are included in my "all else equal") was a given. The question is whether it evens out because someone 5'1 needs and probably desires fewer calories than someone 6'1, in rough ratio to their TDEEs, or not.

IMO, no idea, can't say. I am inclined to the idea that people (not food insecure) more often than not want to eat because food is tasty and available and others around them are eating and it looks desirable, and not just hunger. So while I would agree that someone will usually be able to be not hungry on their actual TDEE, whatever it is, I do think those factors might be harder for someone short (and I'm 5'3, so sort of short, although not very).

If you go so far as to say that it's harder for short people because short people can't have wine without skipping breakfast or can never have pizza, that I would personally disagree with, but of course someone with a TDEE of 1800 can fit in pizza or wine less easily than someone with a TDEE of 3000, presumably.

As for TDEE, my predicted TDEE (if sedentary) is 1550, for maintenance. But that's for sedentary. If I just walk enough to be lightly active it's more like 1850. If I do some intentional exercise, it's more. Can I still go over it easily without thinking if I am thoughtless or if I indulge in some high cal foods? Of course, but does this make it harder for me than for someone 6'3 and super active? IMO, can't say. Even for myself how easy it has been has varied from time to time (sometimes it's hard, sometimes it's not), and my height has not changed at all.

Yes. that mostly corresponds with my opinion on it as well.
  • sheepingly
    sheepingly Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'6" but got 1200 too
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    ha. I'm 5'1" and am ALWAYS hungry.