Short people get the shaft

Options

Replies

• not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    If I'm not mistaken, I think all who have chimed in with significantly higher than the typical/estimated numbers have also all been weight training for a while. I would wager that the extra lean body mass per their current weight is probably a major factor there as well - raising BMR. MFP has us enter current weight, sex, and age since the typical person doesn't actually know their LBM - so they would have to use something like the Harris-Benedict formula to estimate based on the typical person with those stats. It would definitely under-estimate for someone older that isn't a couch potato.

Perhaps it contributes, but most of us also spend A LOT of time in the gym/training weekly, which I'm sure is a much larger contributor to TDEE than a few pound of extra lean mass.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    If I'm not mistaken, I think all who have chimed in with significantly higher than the typical/estimated numbers have also all been weight training for a while. I would wager that the extra lean body mass per their current weight is probably a major factor there as well - raising BMR. MFP has us enter current weight, sex, and age since the typical person doesn't actually know their LBM - so they would have to use something like the Harris-Benedict formula to estimate based on the typical person with those stats. It would definitely under-estimate for someone older that isn't a couch potato.

The added RMR from increased LBM has been chronically inflated for some time. The real number has been found to be something closer to 6-7 kcals per pound, which is a stark contrast to the old 60-65 that used to get thrown around.

Does it make a difference? Sure. Is it a large amount for anyone who isn't a Mr. Olympia contender? Nope.
  • not_a_runner
    Options

The added RMR from increased LBM has been chronically inflated for some time. The real number has been found to be something closer to 6-7 kcals per pound, which is a stark contrast to the old 60-65 that used to get thrown around.

Does it make a difference? Sure. Is it a large amount for anyone who isn't a Mr. Olympia contender? Nope.

Exactly!

And Lol @ whoever is wooing us for saying that training burns a lot of cals?!
    Loool
    I train 2+ hours, 5-6 days a week. Of course I need a lot of food.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

I don't do heavy lifting. I have strength trained, but with light to medium weights and have taken very long breaks because I go through spells where I don't particularly like weight lifting or feel too lazy to drag out my equipment.

I've done spells of just body weight training too.

I was completely sedentary (except for walking a lot and riding my bike a lot when I was a teen) until I was 52 years old. I don't know that I have appreciable muscle mass.

My high TDEE comes, as WinoGelato said, from getting myself from being a very sedentary person to being a person who's really not happy sitting around for long stretches of time. I'm very fidgety and active now, and believe me, that is something I worked to make happen.

I used to truly be a couch potato.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »
    5'1" 55 year old with a high TDEE chiming in here.

People aren't saying you're lazy, but they are saying that having a low amount of NEAT is a choice.
    Strange. I see everyone saying if I were more active I wouldn't have a problem, so it's my fault for being lazy.

Not sure how I'm choosing a low NEAT: 3 to 5 hours a week swimming, 2 to 3 hours of aqua fit classes a week, twice weekly biking to the gym pool ( 6 miles weekly) 6000 steps average (according to Apple Watch) and a minimum of 30 minutes on stationary bike in non swim days -- yet the argument here is that I'm choosing to have a low NEAT (lazy).

No nothing is wrong. I'm older, I was majorly affected by menopause and I'm short. 1200 cals = approx 1/3 to 1/4 pound weight loss a month for me. I log accurately but with such a tight calorie budgetI could be off without my ability to know. I.e. one pot roast ( 4-5 meals) that was a bit fattier than the USDA average, one treat slice of pizza and a nutritional label with a 20% error in a week (a not unlikely scenario in a week's time) sure will eliminate a small calorie deficit easy peasy. (And, no I'm not lying)

All I keep saying is 1200 leaves no margin for error, and calorie counting isn't an exact science so someone with a 1200 calorie budget has it tougher in satisfaction/being sated and in being able to meet the budget. That a treat of 10% of a calorie budget is harder to fit in than a treat of 4% of a budget. ( Same 125 cal treat).

All I see most saying is if someone has a 1200 calorie allowance it is obviously their own fault so they don't really have it harder than us tall or super high NEAT folks. I disagree.

It obvious to me people are intentionally ignoring math.

If I had $1200 to spend a month, once I paid rent and utilities ( say $800) I would have 400 to spend on food. I probably would not spend $40 on a restaurant meal because it was too large a part of my budget. The person with $2000 could afford that $40 restaurant meal maybe even 2 or three times a month. The person with more money has it easier (financially) than the person with not quite 2/3's the money.

The person with less money could get a second job and have more to spend overall. In weight management terms this would be exercising (moving more), so you have more calories to play with your caloric intake.
  • not_a_runner
    Options
    I'm not seeing anywhere where (recently, anyhow) where someone said "you're just lazy" or doing anything wrong.

People are different. Some may naturally have a higher TDEE.
    I posted my stats because saying "Short people can't eat 2000 cals/can't eat as much as teller people/whatever" is obviously not true for everyone.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

People aren't saying you're lazy, but they are saying that having a low amount of NEAT is a choice.
    Strange. I see everyone saying if I were more active I wouldn't have a problem, so it's my fault for being lazy.

Not sure how I'm choosing a low NEAT: 3 to 5 hours a week swimming, 2 to 3 hours of aqua fit classes a week, twice weekly biking to the gym pool ( 6 miles weekly) 6000 steps average (according to Apple Watch) and a minimum of 30 minutes on stationary bike in non swim days -- yet the argument here is that I'm choosing to have a low NEAT (lazy).

No nothing is wrong. I'm older, I was majorly affected by menopause and I'm short. 1200 cals = approx 1/3 to 1/4 pound weight loss a month for me. I log accurately but with such a tight calorie budgetI could be off without my ability to know. I.e. one pot roast ( 4-5 meals) that was a bit fattier than the USDA average, one treat slice of pizza and a nutritional label with a 20% error in a week (a not unlikely scenario in a week's time) sure will eliminate a small calorie deficit easy peasy. (And, no I'm not lying)

All I keep saying is 1200 leaves no margin for error, and calorie counting isn't an exact science so someone with a 1200 calorie budget has it tougher in satisfaction/being sated and in being able to meet the budget. That a treat of 10% of a calorie budget is harder to fit in than a treat of 4% of a budget. ( Same 125 cal treat).

All I see most saying is if someone has a 1200 calorie allowance it is obviously their own fault so they don't really have it harder than us tall or super high NEAT folks. I disagree.

If I had $1200 to spend a month, once I paid rent and utilities ( say $800) I would have 400 to spend on food. I probably would not spend $40 on a restaurant meal because it was too large a part of my budget. The person with $2000 could afford that $40 restaurant meal maybe even 2 or three times a month. The person with more money has it easier (financially) than the person with not quite 2/3's the money.

So I just took some guesses at 150lbs and 40 years old at 5'3 (which I don't consider short). I went with moderate option (4-6 hours moderate exercise). TDEE is 2200. So 1200 is a 1000 per day calorie deficit. Even assuming that's over by a couple hundred calories which i unlikely given how active you say you are, that's still 1500 calories per day to lose 1lb per week.

That's not dissimilar to what my numbers are at 5'5.

You are active. All anyone is saying is there are ways to be more active if you choose. I'm sedentary, I know I could perfectly easily increase my NEAT and not rely on exercise exclusively for my extra calories but I'm fine with what I do, if and when I want to be able to eat more then I will find ways to move more incidentally. It's on me and I'm not a good or bad person for doing or not doing it and neither is anyone judging me because they point that out. it's just the truth.

So I don't know where you're getting your numbers from because they're not nearly as woe as me as you seem to think they are.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It seems like short people are always complaining that we get the 'short' end of the stick with low calorie requirements (my BMR is like...1200 or something). Tall people on the other hand are blessed with TDEEs of 2,000+! Jerks!

But! I wonder:

Do short people actually get less hungry than tall people? Do tall people feel like their 2000+ calories are insufficient unless properly nutritionally mapped out? Are short people not really considering that tall people are hungrier than us and at the end of the day it all balances out and puts us in the same boat?

HMMM......

ETA: OK, for everyone listing their TDEE/BMR, cool, just replace the 2000+ with your number and assume that shorter people of equal activity levels are much less. :-) The question still stands, and is interesting!

I'd say yes, it's all relative. I'm a 5'10" male I maintain on about 2800 calories per day (more when I'm training)...when I diet, yes...2300ish calories is a struggle...yes, I'm hungry, though I'm not ravenously so because when I diet I make sure I'm eating things that are going to help keep me full longer where as in maintenance I can have some of those not so filling but more calorie dense treats...but yeah, what sounds like a lot of calories to a female or shorter person is very much a restriction for me...

My wife is 5'2"/5'3" and she definitely gets full before I do. She's quite active so she maintains on 2200-2300 calories per day...and yes, she feel it when she cuts, but she cuts weight easily on about 1700-1800 calories per day...she definitely feels it, not the way she would if she were sedentary and had to eat 1200 or something
  • not_a_runner
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Compassion - your grocery bill is less.

Wait, that's not compassion... Nvm
    I'm sorry you can't drink wine every night?
    There :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

@ryenday If you're doing all of that exercise, then you'd be able to eat those calories back to up your daily calories, right? If you're only eating 1200 calories then i assume you are not accounting for your exercise burns??
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    I guess what it comes down to is whether telling someone that they can increase their calorie allowance through increased activity is encouraging/helpful, or rude/unfeeling. (Is 'uncompassionate' a word?)