Short people get the shaft

Options

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    gatamadriz wrote: »
    Here's what I learned from my nutritionist and also my personal trainer when I lived in Europe:

Short men and women gain muscle more rapidly than taller people.

Wow, that is interesting. I do appear to gain muscle very quickly, is there science behind this? (I'm short.)

Also as far as my original post, I was basically just trying to propose the idea that short people who typically get TDEEs lower than tall people (or at least I thought, before someone posted otherwise) are not actually as hungry as tall people, hence why they need less calories. Or, are short people just as hungry as tall people so weight loss is harder for them than it is for their 6' peers? I got TDEE, BMR, BMI, and the other acronyms all confused. :P

I would say that No- we aren't as hungry (for a similar activity level). The problem is that when out at a bar/party/restaurant/etc with others, we still often also want to have that yummy dessert or a tasty burger or that glass of wine, etc (and the calories aren't there for it).

This may be true for you, but not for me.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Yeah, Us shorties are majorly forked. Want a glass of wine once a week? Well then you can't have breakfast that day. A slice of cake on your birthday? That means no lunch since that is about ithe total calories I would allot to an entire lunch.

So we are forked but are we hungrier than our tall friends? No telling, but I doubt it. Not hungrier but short folks are much less satisfied eating within their calorie goals than taller folk, is my take on it.
  • CaloricCountess
    CaloricCountess Posts: 202 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Your BMR is meaningless.

TDEE is where it's at, and unless you have health issues, that is entirely within your control.

I'm old and short and my TDEE is around 2000-2200.

Saying that, I'm perfectly content on around 1800 calories of food, which is around my goal weight maintenance on a bit less exercise than I'm currently doing.

Smaller bodies need less energy to fuel them in much the same way smaller cars need less gas to fuel them.

I never have seen the point in comparing food intake with other people. My husband is a foot taller than me. It would stand to reason that he should eat more food.
    THIS. YOU create your TDEE. You want to consume more, then you need to burn more.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

That's weird because whenever anyone asks what kind of exercise burns calories, they're always told to exercise for fitness not for food.

Exercise for many's like the food mart version, of the housing market & we saw, how that went!
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I can make that 1 glass of wine work nightly unless the dance venue is follow-heavy and a slow style. (unfortunately, the studio tango venue tends to be where the wine flows more freely - since we can bring our own bottles- and usually has more sitting).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is meaningless.

TDEE is where it's at, and unless you have health issues, that is entirely within your control.

Saying that, I'm perfectly content on around 1800 calories of food, which is around my goal weight maintenance on a bit less exercise than I'm currently doing.

Smaller bodies need less energy to fuel them in much the same way smaller cars need less gas to fuel them.

I never have seen the point in comparing food intake with other people. My husband is a foot taller than me. It would stand to reason that he should eat more food.
    THIS. YOU create your TDEE. You want to consume more, then you need to burn more.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

That's weird because whenever anyone asks what kind of exercise burns calories, they're always told to exercise for fitness not for food.

Exercise for many's like the food mart version, of the housing market & we saw, how that went!

What? There's an exercise bubble?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Your BMR is meaningless.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

What? There's an exercise bubble?

Of course! Go to gym, earn 300 exercise calories (salary), then buy 500 calorie cupcake (home), with 100 earned exercise salary down payment, borrow 400 calorie loan via tomorrow's budget, overspend by 200 calories of the next days budget, be unable to repay 200 of those calories upon time, foreclose on weight riddance goals & gain debt (weight)!

Yes, some people over-estimate calorie burn from exercise.

Not really sure what that has to do with the fact that exercising or being active DOES give even short people a higher TDEE.

Also not seeing the connection with the housing bubble which had to do with lots of specific factors not worth getting into here that seem quite distinct from the TDEE situation, but I'm sure I'm being overly literal.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

He he. Alas, our small efficient bodies don't burn a whole lot exercising. (At ~74 calories/mile, the +700 calories to get to the 2200 TDEE mentioned above requires the equivalent of running 9.5 miles on a daily basis..I usually only manage that on the weekends).
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I'm like @WinoGelato - I'm 5'3", 149 and maintain on 2700cal a day (relatively active, but even on weeks when I do little to nothing and eat the same I maintain)...

according to the calculator that @ryenday post - I should be gaining weight rapidly (since their 2lbs a week is less than what I consume on a daily basis) - yet I've been weight stable for at least 2 months and have increased my calories over 150 a day in that time
  • StarvingAuthor
    StarvingAuthor Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Oh, there is another thought to stoke the flames (lol with actual numbers this time):

I have a BMI of 20.3 - 5'4, 118lb, female, 25
    If I do moderate exercise (3-5x/week) I will have a TDEE of 1,961 calories to maintain.
    If I am sedentary, I will have a TDEE of 1,518 calories to maintain.

Another woman has a BMI of 20.4 (I couldn't get the .3, lol, close enough) - 5'8, 134lb, female, 25
    If she does moderate exercise (3-5/xweek) she will have a TDEE of 2,172 calories to maintain.
    If she is sedentary, she will have a TDEE of 1,682 calories to maintain.

The taller woman gets ~200 calories more than me, doing the same thing. Not as significant as I originally thought - but on average then, wouldn't it be in line to say that the taller woman is actually hungrier than me? I know we're dealing with an abstract here and its hard to gauge how hungry someone actually is - but still interesting. :-)
  • milligan013
    milligan013 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    After reading the title, I came here hoping for pictures : (