Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Exercise as a punishment in middle schoolers

Options

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    This isn't punishment, but a corrective and instructive measure. Military forces have this ingrained throughout their lives:

Not paying attention? 20 pushups
    Last man in line? 20 pushups
    Fall asleep in class? 20 pushups

My 9 year old son gets corrected for not paying attention in baseball and the team runs laps.

Punishment on the other hand incorporates an element of retribution.

Except that elementary school kids in gym class are not on a team and are not in the military. They are supposed to be getting educated along with participating in physical activity. This removes the education aspect in favor of a retributive measure. Athletic kids will do fine and probably will blow it off as easy, while the less athletic kids will be the ones who will find it miserable. Perhaps some of those kids will develop a distaste for exercise as a result. Maybe it will take them decades to develop a taste for it.

Ask me how I know.

so what do you think the punishment should be for cheating on a game? (which the OP mentioned above)
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    This isn't punishment, but a corrective and instructive measure. Military forces have this ingrained throughout their lives:

My 9 year old son gets corrected for not paying attention in baseball and the team runs laps.

Except that elementary school kids in gym class are not on a team and are not in the military. They are supposed to be getting educated along with participating in physical activity. This removes the education aspect in favor of a retributive measure. Athletic kids will do fine and probably will blow it off as easy, while the less athletic kids will be the ones who will find it miserable. Perhaps some of those kids will develop a distaste for exercise as a result. Maybe it will take them decades to develop a taste for it.

Ask me how I know.

That is how you interpreted it.

Is the flaw with the implementation or your interpretation?
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options

Ask me how I know.

He was an elementary school kid subject to peer pressure and possibly ridicule from the athletic kids - how else would you expect him to interpret it?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    A long time ago when I was school this happened all the time. I don't remember ever having a "for the rest of the year" thing but misbehavior in gym was always met with some form of exercise as punishment. "Since you obviously know all this so well that you don't have to listen, maybe you can come and show the class how to climb this rope (or do a chin up, or whatever)." "Since Joe can't follow the rules the whole class can go run laps for the rest of the period" "Since the boys think this is funny they can do calisthenics for the rest of period while the girls play basketball."

It was gym class. It seemed normal.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options

Ask me how I know.

Implementation. This is lazy teaching. Teachers are supposed to be professionals.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Ask me how I know.

6th grade isn't elementary school in many places. It's Middle school/Jr High.

IF 5 years haven't gotten the message across. It's time to turn up the volume.
  • stanmann571
    Options

Ask me how I know.

You did see that they were cheating.

IMO, that merits more than withdrawal of privilege and rises to merit punishment/retribution.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    mkeonem wrote: »
    My daughter came home the other day (11yrs old, 6th grade) and said that since they didn't follow the rules Friday last week in gym they are only going to be doing exercises--bodyweight stuff--for the rest of the year or until they can prove they can listen and follow rules.

While I agree they need to be given some kind of repercussion for not following the rules I do not think that exercises as a "punishment" is the healthy way to go. Not that working out is bad for them but because they are being taught that working out is a punishment for being bad/not following the rules. With obesity issues all over I think it is better to foster a positive relationship with exercising, not a negative one.

What do you think about using exercising in school PE class as a punishment? Any alternatives you recommend instead if you don't agree with it?

It could be that the 'not following rules' presented a safety concern during the usual group-type gym stuff - and therefore it will be solo activities until they behave.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

Ask me how I know.

IMO, that merits more than withdrawal of privilege and rises to merit punishment/retribution.

C'mon, gym teachers are teachers, right? Aren't they supposed to have curricula, and lesson plans, and goals and objectives for their students? Even if the kids were ALL egregiously cheating, the answer is to throw all the teaching away for an entire school year and just make everyone run laps every day?

I just went through an exercise with my high schooler where he got PE from an online course, for reasons I won't get into. The high school staff objected to this because the students wouldn't be getting the quality education and curriculum that the teachers developed. Ha! I should have told them that situps and pushups every day is a fine plan for PE.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

Ask me how I know.

And this probably wasn't the first time it happened. It probably has been an ongoing occurance. I used to teach elementary music and there were some groups of students who couldn't handle games without cheating and awful behaviour. It sucks for the few not involved but if it's the majority of the class omitting games at least for a while and retesting a few times to see if they handle it is the way to go.
  • stanmann571
    Options

Ask me how I know.

C'mon, gym teachers are teachers, right? Aren't they supposed to have curricula, and lesson plans, and goals and objectives for their students? Even if the kids were ALL egregiously cheating, the answer is to throw all the teaching away for an entire school year and just make everyone run laps every day?

I just went through an exercise with my high schooler where he got PE from an online course, for reasons I won't get into. The high school staff objected to this because the students wouldn't be getting the quality education and curriculum that the teachers developed.

The curriculum is move 45 minutes a day 3-5 days a week.

Anything beyond that is "health class" not Gym... although there's generally a substantial overlap
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

Ask me how I know.

I just went through an exercise with my high schooler where he got PE from an online course, for reasons I won't get into. The high school staff objected to this because the students wouldn't be getting the quality education and curriculum that the teachers developed. Ha! I should have told them that situps and pushups every day is a fine plan for PE.

You have no idea what went on and using the words of an 11 year old to judge the teacher.