• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Happy National Spicy Hermit Cookie Day!

I'd never heard of this old-fashioned cookie. Might have to make some to take for Thanksgiving visits. Recipe here: https://foodess.com/recipes/spiced-date-raisin-cookies-hermit-cookies/

Michele - I made cornbread muffins last night too! I've always made cornbread in the cast-iron skillet before, but it's kind of handy to have them pre-measured into single servings. They will go with the giant vat of chili Philip made over the weekend.

Tallee - My condolence about the death in your family and loss of your job. Sounds like you've set reasonable goals for moving forward.

Kelly - I kind of want to start swimming again, but I'm also lazy so I've been hesitant to make the commitment. The nearest pool that's open year-round is in the next town over. It's only about a 15-minute drive, but I know that can be enough to make me not do it. Back when I had a 24-hour pool five minutes from the house, I would eat lunch at my desk then take a break at 2 p.m. to swim before the after-school rush started. Lately, though, it's been hard to find time for a lunch break. I probably just need to convince myself that I can do it, then I'll make the time.

Pat - Loved your tale of your granddaughter playing with the boxes. I was the first grandchild, with four living grandparents and four great-grandparents, and they spoiled me rotten. One Christmas something got into me and every time anyone asked what I wanted I'd say, "A box of nothing." On Christmas morning, I received a beautifully wrapped box of nothing, wrapped in white tissue paper with colored flakes. To this day, that's one of the most memorable gifts I've ever received!

Margaret - There's nothing like having your computer and phone service down to make you realize how much you depend on them! Glad you are back online.

Welcome to our new arrivals!

I mentioned that Philip made chili over the weekend. It's a lovely treat, but I swear, that man... ;) I'd shopped for his chili ingredients along with the stuff to make some healthy breakfast sandwiches. He wanted to make a double batch of chili so I bought two pounds of ground round and two pounds of pork sausage for the chili plus a pound of turkey breakfast sausage for the breakfast sandwiches. When I got back from the river house I discovered that he'd used all of the sausage and only one of the packages of ground round, leaving me with nothing to use for the breakfast sandwiches. I'd have thought it would be obvious when you have two sets of two and one odd package left over which ones were for the chili, but my beloved is kind of an absent-minded professor sometimes. Guess that's what I get for letting him in the kitchen when I'm not home!

Y'all tell me if you've ever heard of hermit cookies, OK? Sounds like it might be a regional thing.

-Yvonne in TX
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,295 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    My veggie chilli was a success! By accident I put more cocoa in it than I intended! Oooops! It came out lovely and deep tasting and will be perfect as an ingredient for the "make yourself" tacos I intend for the Friday night next week. The meat eaters will have the additional choice of Barbecoa Beef from skinnytaste.com, except I'm going to use chuck this time as the eye of round was a bit tough.

I'm enjoying my alcohol free beers. Some, though not all, are low calorie as well. :D I have been drinking too much lately, so I'm pleased to have something I enjoy. The one I had tonight was 26 calories!

I even did a bit of memoir today! :bigsmile:

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies. I'm doing my best to stay focused and on track, but my life has been total chaos lately. Some of it is work...this is my busiest time of the year, but some is that I am starting to panic about DH leaving. We still don't have a date. How do they expect people to make travel and work arrangements with so little notice? UGH. Take care everyone. Meg from Omaha
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Yvonne I remember Hermit Cookies! And Snickerdoodles, too!

Growing up, we didn't have desserts and cookies at home very often, but when we went to a church or school function, someone would make cookies like these, plus Toll House and others...Yummy!

Karen in Virginia
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,073 Member
    Options
    Did anyone else see the experiment they did on PBS where they took pasta (starch) and gave it to volunteers to see the effect on their blood sugar? They found when there was a big difference between freshly cooked, chilled, chilled and reheated. In the study chilled and reheated had the least effect on blood sugar, chilled helped too. Freshly cooked was the worst. They did not go into how they reheated it (stove vs. microwave. ) Food for thought. Excuse the pun.

:heart: Margaret
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,622 Member
    Options
    been having crazy days at work.... crazy wind/rain. this morning on my way to the gym, realized i forgot my bike lock (took it home cuz it was starting to stick so kirby oiled it). kirby kept riding, i made a u-turn back. and i didn't have my glove liners or my rain pants (yes it was raining when i left). got to work found that i left that here.

yesterday, i TOTALLY forgot that i had to hurry up and get home cuz they gave kirby a late shift and he wouldn't b home b4 me so i had to hurry up and get home to let the dogs out. so i got lucky and a co-worker was able to take me to the bike locker and pickup my bike and take me home.

ughhhh.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Yvonne: You may need to write "Mine" on your next package of sausage in permanent magic marker. :devil:

Margaret: "Did anyone else see the experiment they did on PBS where they took pasta (starch) and gave it to volunteers to see the effect on their blood sugar? They found when there was a big difference between freshly cooked, chilled, chilled and reheated. In the study chilled and reheated had the least effect on blood sugar, chilled helped too. Freshly cooked was the worst. They did not go into how they reheated it (stove vs. microwave. ) Food for thought. Excuse the pun.

Very punny! No need for you to be excused. :laugh:

Yoga today went well but the cycling machine I got stuck with before yoga was "new and improved." I'll avoid it in the future. :grumble:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"Normally I'm quite normal . . ." The Gods Must be Crazy

• langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Hi all you gorgeous ladies,

Pat, Glad to hear the patient is doing well.

Michele in NC, I noticed that the colors were brighter. I had one done then the other so I could compare the before and after. I had been looking through a yellow haze. Amazing.

Janet, get plenty of sleep. When you are sleep deprived it screws up both your mind and body.

Joyce, what a nice lunch you had. Sounds like Jackie is a prize.

Sharon, I’ve had cortisone shots in my foot and the pain is unbearable. I had them in other places but the foot was the worst. You have a right to be tired, cranky and distinctly unfriendly! ((Hugs))

Heather, I had my binge day a few weeks ago. I looked forward to starting over too. Binges just do it for me like they used to. Happy Anniversary!

Lisa, enjoyed the blog. Wish I could write. It is truly a gift.

Karen, You hang in there girl. I know you can do it. ((Hugs))

Tammy, welcome. Glad you found us. I remember starting in May with MFP. The beginning was the hardest for me. Once you get into a routine it gets better. We all have our good and bad days, but I just try to plow right through the bad one and celebrate the good ones. I am prediabetes too and started at 237 lbs. I’m at 200 now. Everyone has to find what works for them. For me I can’t have any of the foods I would binge on in the house. If it is there it is almost painful trying to stay away. Also, I have to measure, measure, measure. I still haven’t started to exercise, but know that is the next step for me. I tried not to do everything at once but took little steps. I also gave myself permission to be imperfect. You can do it. WOOWHOO on the 1 lb. You are on your way.

Machka, great aerial view.

Pat, good thoughts sent your DH way for the stent removal.

Rye, I’d send ((Hugs)) for the hot flashes, but as we all know, a hug is the last thing we want when we are having a hot flash. LOL So I’m sending a an ((e-hug))

Tallee, ((Hugs))

Cheri, welcome back. Sounds like you had a really nice time in IN. Way to go not gaining any weight. Sound like a lot of traveling in your future.

Yvonne, hermit cookies sound familiar but I’m never made them.

Meg, it is understandable that you are starting to panic. It’s fear of the unknown and without a date that makes it harder. Hang in there. I’m sure you are doing the best you can do given the circumstances. ((Hugs))

Margaret, wish I had seen the PBS info on pasta. Very interesting.

Well as you might have seen, I’ve updated my picture. I can really tell the weight loss as it shows in my face. Also, someone asked for a picture of my haircut so it shows that too. LOL

Back to work.

Terry
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Terry ~ You look great! :)

Pip ~ Sorry you had problems this morning but glad your co-worker helped you get the bike home.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,295 Member
    Options
    Margaret - I saw a similar programme on our TV this year. Cooling and reheating makes it "resistant" starch and it takes longer to digest and affect the blood sugar. I posted the info on here and I think Lanette commented on it. Thanks for bringing it to our notice again. <3 It would be especially useful for anyone who was diabetic or pre-diabetic and thought they shouldn't eat pasta. I rarely eat it nowdays as I find I manage my calories better on a low carb diet, but I do love it. When we were in Hove we had pasta twice at a "homemade" place and pizza once at a wood fired place. Definitely worth it! :laugh:

My poor freezers are completely stuffed. The veggie chilli fits into the last corner! Help!

All this talk about hair cuts reminds me that I need to get mine trimmed and I can see my grey roots. I dye my hair myself, but I need a professional to cut it. I love my hairdresser <3 I always get a "wet cut" as it's pointless styling mine with all the exercise I do. I will make an appointment tomorrow. Terry - you are transformed!

Meg - (((HUGS))) Hard times for you.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

• langman22
    Options
    Peach1948 wrote: »
    Terry ~ You look great! :)

Pip ~ Sorry you had problems this morning but glad your co-worker helped you get the bike home.

Thanks
  • langman22
    Options
    Margaret - I saw a similar programme on our TV this year. Cooling and reheating makes it "resistant" starch and it takes longer to digest and affect the blood sugar. I posted the info on here and I think Lanette commented on it. Thanks for bringing it to our notice again. <3 It would be especially useful for anyone who was diabetic or pre-diabetic and thought they shouldn't eat pasta. I rarely eat it nowdays as I find I manage my calories better on a low carb diet, but I do love it. When we were in Hove we had pasta twice at a "homemade" place and pizza once at a wood fired place. Definitely worth it! :laugh:

My poor freezers are completely stuffed. The veggie chilli fits into the last corner! Help!

All this talk about hair cuts reminds me that I need to get mine trimmed and I can see my grey roots. I dye my hair myself, but I need a professional to cut it. I love my hairdresser <3 I always get a "wet cut" as it's pointless styling mine with all the exercise I do. I will make an appointment tomorrow. Terry - you are transformed!

Meg - (((HUGS))) Hard times for you.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

Thanks, I finally had a picture taken that I can live with. It was the new badge photo for work.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Rye, I take soy isoflavones to keep my hot flashes etc at bay. When I first started taking them, I took 3 per day, I'm down to 2 a day now. Not too expensive, and certainly worth a try!
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Friends,

Katla, that is great that your DH went to the boat with you. I do remember that it’s been a while. Are you still thinking about selling it or do you think there is a chance he will sail again? What wonderful news about your grandson. I hope he heals quickly.

Barbie, that’s wonderful that your eyes are in good shape. It has to be so hard to lose sight in advanced years.

Janetr OKC said:
    That poor pastor is probably looking for a different church That had me ROFL

Joyce, I watch the Good Doctor and just saw it today as we record it. It’s always an interesting show and I understand it has very high ratings.

Heather, the pic of Edie is sooo cute. I love that there is a child left in the world that will enjoy a box and their own imagination. Kudos to her parents!!!
    Ginger, glad to hear you are walking again. Keep it up stepping-in-*kitten*.gif.

What is all this “Edited by Mods” that I keep seeing under posts????

Heather, “Happy Anniversary” on Monday. You two sound so well suited for each other. Have a wonderful day.

Tammy, welcome. You will find great support here and answers to most any questions. Come often and join right in.

Tallee, welcome back. Sorry for your losses. Come often and take one day at a time.

Rye, I just hate you are having such a hard time with the Big “M”. I had lots of hot flashes but they didn’t take me down, just heated me up. Lol Hang in there and do what you can as this too will change. ((((Hugs))))

Heather, if you want to give the Grands an experience, maybe you and your DH could include a note that you would accompany them to …….? Just an idea.

Cheri, I hope you don’t overdo while helping with the move. That is a lot of work.

Yvonne, I am laughing at the ground meat mixup. You could have made sliders for breakfast. Lol

Margaret, very interesting info on the pasta and blood sugar. Thanks.

Terry, nice haircut and great new pic.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto all the Newbies. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Sending love, good thoughts and sunshine to all of you.

I Love youwriting-a-love-letter-smiley-emoticon.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,756 Member
    Options
    well here I am.. the last picture you saw of me is basically the cut just a bit shorter, same cut as Terry :)
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,147 Member
    Options
    Patsy- welcome back! Glad you are here with us!