Replies

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,828 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,894 Member
    Options
    I don't want to wait till i retire (1-3.5 yrs) to get healthy! but how to fit exercise in while working long days...
    My ultimate goal is to lose 30-35 lbs but I would be happy w/ half that!
    In the last 10 days I have not lost a pound!

I also have an office job.

Some of the things I do include ... getting up and walking flights of stairs on my morning and afternoon breaks, walking as part of my commute to and from work, and going for a walk at lunch. It all adds up!

Then after work, my husband and I often walk or cycle and talk to each other ... it's our distraction-free daily debrief time. Like a mini-date.

I will also add that when I signed up with MFP, I stuck to my calorie limit (1250 cals) like glue. I weighed and logged every single thing I ate, and I only ate back 50% of my exercise calories. I was absolutely meticulous.

For the first 10 days ... I lost nothing. I was about ready to throw in the towel, but decided to stick with it for a total of 3 weeks and if I had lost nothing by that point, that would be that.

On Day 11, I started losing weight.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »
    Hi ladies.

Definitely been better. My hot flashes have ramped up from mildly intrusive to five alarm fires every hour or so. Very difficult and embarrassing now that I’m working again.

Would like to see the Dr again, but not only can’t we afford it, ( except the one go wellness exam per year the Dr. visits cost us 170 to 250 dollars on our “insurance”) and we can’t afford medication anyway - we pay full Costco prices for husbands two meds and their regular full price is cheaper than our “insurance” price.

Sorry. trying to remember to be grateful that we are not starving or homeless but quite frankly when I can’t sleep and feel so panicked and horrible so often (hot flashes) and can’t afford to do anything to get help I just want to scream.

You can't do hormones, right? Neither can I.

So you might want to revisit alternative options.

Personally, I found that Evening Primrose Oil helped various symptoms a bit, possibly including the hot flashes a little bit.

Valerian helps calm me, settle me, and helps me sleep.

Magnesium, B12, and Ginkgo Biloba also seem to help keep me calmer and less agitated than when I don't take them. Plus it seems like if I'm feeling really scattered and unable to focus the Ginkgo Biloba seems to help.

Vit D and a B-complex might give me a bit more energy when I need it, or at least make me feel better about life.

Vit E may help relieve some PMS symptoms and hot flashes:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17664882

When my hot flashes were really bad, I started taking Black Cohosh and after I was on it for about 6 weeks, the hot flashes went away. I stayed on it for a couple more weeks, then went off.

St John's Wort is another one that can apparently help too, although I haven't tried it.

There may be more as well, and there are heaps of suggestions on the internet. At times I feel like I might be taking too much, but I got blood test results back from my Dr recently and she checked all sorts of vitamin and mineral levels in my blood. Turns out everything is right in the middle of the normal range. Plus the report showed my last 3 blood tests ... and they're all right in the middle of normal.

Setting all these things aside, I've also found that making a quick dash to the toilet and running my wrists under cold water can help. And I've got a little USB powered fan on my desk which gets employed from time to time.

Dressing in layers helps a lot ... some days I feel like I'm constantly putting a jacket on, and taking it off, and putting it on, and ...

Also traditionally I've worn fairly high necked clothing ... my chest feels the cold quickly plus I've never thought of that part of me as particularly attractive. However, in the last year or so, I've added a number of scoop-neck tops into the mix because they seem cooler. I also often have a lightly scented spray-on antiperspirant on hand which can be good for keeping the great sweat patches at bay.

One way or the other, I hope you can find relief soon.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    After 3 beautifully hot days ... it even got to 30C on one day ... today it is 13C and rainy.

When you live in Tasmania, you've really got to pay attention to the forecast when getting ready in the morning. Thank goodness I grabbed a fleece jacket to put on under my rain jacket.

M in Oz
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    B)
  • Machka9
    Options
    Regarding Holidays ...

Thanksgiving isn't celebrated here in Australia, so there will be no big turkey dinners or anything like that for me.

Christmas, on the other hand, is celebrated. We get Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's Day off. They are statutory holidays. I'll also probably head home early on Friday the 22nd too ... as will 99% of my coworkers. In addition to that, my office is closed the 27 - 29th. So I will end up being off work from sometime mid-afternoon on the 22nd until the morning of Tuesday 2 January ... 10 days off.

Of course, my initial thought is always ... TRAVEL TIME! :) But unfortunately, that's my husband's busy season. He has to take Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's Day off (stats) but chances are he will be working 10-12 hour days the rest of the time.

So, I treat that time sort of like I'm at a fitness spa or something. I plunge into walking, cycling, weightlifting, etc.

I also get some extra sleep, get out in the sun, and try to get several projects done in the house. That's pretty much the only time of year I bake as well. I enjoy baking, but ... calories.

The next few week be preparing and building up to those 10 days.

As for gifts ... my husband and I don't exchange gifts. Most of whatever else we exchange are just token bits and pieces with certain family members. And probably the main gift I send out is for my nieces and nephew.

Last year, I contacted a place in their city on the other side of the world from me, and was able to purchases gift certificates so the kids could go there for a day. The year before I collected a small package of Australian-specific books and mailed them. The year before ... I think it was an Amazon gift certificate.

But I'm kind of running dry on ideas ... and they're getting older. Hmmm ... have to give it some thought.

Machka in Oz
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Meg: I live near Englewood and have plenty of tea and sympathy. Just say when. I'm not travelling nearly as much as before, so even short notice works.

Don't know who mentioned turkey drumsticks in the slow cooker, but thanks for that great suggestion! I fast on Thanksgiving Day, but DH likes all the traditional foods, so I do cook and we both enjoy the leftovers.

Took DH to a new dermatologist today. Two years ago he had a massive melanoma dug out of his forehead via MOHS surgery....twice! Seems to have grown back. New dermatologist did a second type of biopsy to confirm the diagnosis. We'll know more in a week.

I have started to utilize a caregiver part-time to help with cooking, especially when I am out of town. The one we had has left the company, which is so disappointing. We LOVED her. Oh well. Tomorrow I get to orient a new person in preparation for coverage while I am in New York the first week in December.

Oh, and work has been inn-terrr-essting. We have a new 'chief' for our department. Very different personality from all of her predecessors. Time will tell how this will work out.

Stay well friends. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,555 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

wahoo hrm not working, all apple watch

bike ride hm 2 gym- 14.12min, 8.3amph. 1.9mi= 79c
    *manual* TREADMILL walk/incline for 20min, 15incl, 3.8sp then skip, scissors/sidestep for 20min, 5incl, 3.8 etc.- 1.90mimi = 259c
    fl exercised - 2sets of 10ea, 3diff exercises and ab sliding crunches- 5.39min = 56c
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 6.01min, 14.1amph, 1.4mi= 48c
    bike ride puy 2 sumn sta- 17.09min, 10.7amph, 3mi= 120c
    jog sta 2 wk- 5.32min, 10.21min mi. .5mi= 55c
    jog wk 2 sta- 5.25min, 10.27min mi, .5mi = 65c
    ride dome 2 hm- 22.17min, 7.1amph, 2.6mi =152c

total cal 832
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    oystereyes wrote: »
    Hello everyone! I want to come back...will you accept me? I know that with the holidays coming, I will need all the support and advice I can get. If I have any tidbits of help, I would be delighted to share. Getting through this sugary time without sinking into a chocolate fog is always a challenge.

I am still here in my little creative dungeon on the north Oregon coast. It is me and my husband and our labradoodle Katie here. I have scanned through this very active and positive site. You all seem so supportive and positive. I am finishing up a couple of children's books to kick out the door into the wild blue yonder. We will see where they land. Writing has one sit for long periods of time. Not really great for burning calories. Ah, that's the rub...as Shakespeare so aptly put it.

It is raining again...still!
    Patsy

Welcome back!
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    M, thanks! There are several you mentioned that I haven’t tried yet. Unfortunately nothing I have tried yet seem to have any effect. (Black Cohosh, evening primrose oil, magnesium, soy isoflavins and my favourite: daily tomato juice).

Until I started losing weight I had the hot flashes under control, I even thought (hoped) I was past them for 8 months or so. But losing weight seems to be a trigger in my body (not a surprise- I suppose, weight loss will effect hormones). The problem right now is the flashes that come with panic attacks. All of a sudden I’m drenched in sweat and panicked out of my mind. Well, the other problem is that for the past few weeks, I’m only getting 1/2 an hour to an hour of sleep between hot flashes.

So time to try some more home remedies and cross my fingers as hard as I can. I appreciate your list, it has some new stuff to try!

Rye
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,926 Member
    Options
    1056287i3zmwzup2m.gifStats for today:
    *15,000 steps
    *177 minutes walking Sasha and Bessie
    *124 minutes riding the exercise bike
    *line dance class

:)Patsy, glad to see you posting here again. I'm north of you on the North Olympic Peninsula in Washington with my darling husband, lovely dogs, Bessie and Sasha, and loving cat, Bernie. I am fortunate that we don't celebrate the holidays with food and I routinely say "no thank you" when offered food that's not on my food plan.

:)Meg, hugs to you during this trying time. This is a really good time to redouble your efforts to stay in the moment and just do what is right in front of you.

:)Marcelyn, your pottery is awesome.

<3 Barbie
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Rori, hope everything works out for your DH. A caregiver sounds like a great idea and will take some of the stress off of you.

Marcelyn, boy you have been busy. They look great.

Rye, I hope you can find some relief for your hot flashes soon. No one understands the toil it takes on all parts of your life until you’ve had them. (((Hugs)))

One winter tradition DH and I have is homemade hot chocolate. DH will make it in the evenings with a slice of bread and butter. We dip the bread in the hot chocolate which melts the butter into the chocolate . Tonight was the first time this winter. Figured out the calories and was amazed. Guess I won’t be having that every night. Will have to have it as a treat. I didn’t even have the bread tonight to cut out some of the calories. Good thing I did well on calories throughout the day. Even having it I didn’t go over my 1200.

Every morning I get up and the first thing I do is weigh myself. Still have not hit below 200. Still at 200.2. Aagghh! So frustrating. On a good note, my boss (who I have shared my weight loss with at work) whispered to me today that she could really see the weight loss. Felt good to hear.

Well I guess that’s it for today. Supposed to be in the 20s tonight and snow. Hopefully not too much snow as my snow tires don’t go on until next Tuesday.

Terry, off to bed and book here in VT.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Well I did a stupid ing today. And the worst part is that I have done it before. It start d that I couldn't sleep last night. I think it was to much tea yesterday. I finally took one Benadryl around und 3 and got to sleep around 7 and woke up at 1, that is PM. So infixed a meal and took my medicine. After I set the pill keeper down I realized it was the bedtime pill keeper. Yes, I had taken my sleeping pill, my pain medicine and my Clonazapen. So around und 3 I kind of had no choice but to go to bed. I told Charlie to wake me up at 6:15 thinking that I might be able to make it to choir practice. But I knew there was so safe way I could drive. In fact here it is a little after 9 and I am in bed again. But I can't take my pain pill! I have my appointment with my doctor for the every 4 month pain contract and I will pee in a bottle. I don't want to risk having to much Narco in my system. Hope I can sleep.

I hope everyone has a good day, Joyce, Indiana
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    ⚓⚓
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    DJ: DH went to the boat with me yesterday and helped to winterize it but he was not happy about it and claims he won't do it again. I'm seriously thinking about what to do with it, probably for the first time. I don't know what the decision will be. :sad:

Patsy on the N Oregon Coast: It is good to see you again! Of course you are welcome. :smiley:

Rori: Sending good thoughts for your DH and for you finding a good caregiver for the times you need to travel. :heart:

Joyce: I'm sorry about the medications mix up. I hope you'll get things straightened out soon. :flowerforyou:

Michele in NC: I love your new ceramic critter. The colors are delightful. :bigsmile:

My phone is updating although I clicked the remind me later button. It started updating anyway. I've been reading a book on it and was cut off. :grumble:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"Normally I'm quite normal . . ." The Gods Must be Crazy