Replies

• suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    <3
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Joyce, I meant to ask the other day if y'all record your Christmas Cantata. I'd love to hear it. Have to admit, I just haven't found a church home here. Jack, like your DH ,won't attend with me. I've tried a few but seems like they are either huge and I feel lost, or so small that everyone seems to be related. I do miss the fellowship and choir presentations.

Janetr OKC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    :) We got our eyes checked today and ordered new glasses. Our eyes are in good condition which makes me extra grateful.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gifStats for today:
    *13,000 steps
    *165 minutes walking Sasha and Bessie
    *123 minutes riding the exercise bike

<3 Barbie from windy, rainy NW Washington
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    ... or so small that everyone seems to be related.

The ones near me seem to be like that. I have attended the closest one to me a few times, but it seems like the core group there is a collection of brothers and sisters, and all their kids, and everyone was squabbling and bickering, like families do, before the service ... and it just felt like I had walked into someone else's family reunion.
  • Machka9
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Macka- take care of yourself! Your body needs rest to recover. I hope you feel like yourself soon.

<3
    Mary from Arizona
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Machka: I hope the discomfort in your jaw goes away ASAP. :flowerforyou:

In some very good news, my grandson was released from the hospital and is back at home. He was diagnosed with an infection and is doing much better now. :heart:

I guess I do have to remember that not only is the gum rather torn apart (and even the rather liquid-y food I'm still eating somehow gets caught in the stitches), but the bone was fairly significantly damaged too with all the drilling, and I guess if I had a fractured bone in an arm or leg it would take some time to heal.

Glad to hear your grandson is feeling better! :)

M in Oz

• janetr7476
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

The ones near me seem to be like that. I have attended the closest one to me a few times, but it seems like the core group there is a collection of brothers and sisters, and all their kids, and everyone was squabbling and bickering, like families do, before the service ... and it just felt like I had walked into someone else's family reunion.

Oh goodness, well these weren't that bad!! lol

Janetr OKC
  • Machka9
    Options

Janetr OKC

The first several times I went, they were between pastors and the core family group had taken it on themselves to lead the services ... which is great except, as I mentioned, all the squabbling and bickering about how it should be done.

I stopped going for a while.

Then I heard that they got a new pastor, someone from somewhere else. So I thought, "Ah good ... a new perspective!" But every time I've gone back since, he's been away for one reason or another, and the core family group has been in full force.

There's another one about a kilometre away (a hilly kilometre) I'm thinking of trying. Different denomination, perhaps a little more conservative. I attended that denomination when I lived in a small town in Victoria (mainland Australia) for a few years and liked it there.

M in Oz
  • janetr7476
    Options

Janetr OKC

The first several times I went, they were between pastors and the core family group had taken it on themselves to lead the services ... which is great except, as I mentioned, all the squabbling and bickering about how it should be done.

I stopped going for a while.

Then I heard that they got a new pastor, someone from somewhere else. So I thought, "Ah good ... a new perspective!" But every time I've gone back since, he's been away for one reason or another, and the core family group has been in full force.

There's another one about a kilometre away (a hilly kilometre) I'm thinking of trying. Different denomination, perhaps a little more conservative. I attended that denomination when I lived in a small town in Victoria (mainland Australia) for a few years and liked it there.

M in Oz

That poor pastor is probably looking for a different church :)

Janetr OKC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I know the cantata is recorded but I'll see if he sound guy can put it blind or lend it to me. Honestly I don't think anyone has been interested in it!

Terry, that you for the side suggestions. One of our traditional salads is the orange jello sald which I am sure is si liar to your peach salad, because of my sisters darter in law having severe diabetes, it is fixed in a very diabetes way which doesn't include the cream cheese and whipped cream. Now the sweet potatoes, I think my family would disown me if I didn't fix my tradional sweet potatoes and marshmallows, my youngest grand daughter loves to help make it. It's funny watching her, we fix the sweet potatoes part and then turn it over to her to put the marshmallows on. She is supervising the ever growing group of young ones being born into this world. She wants it done a certain way but yet she is supervising 3 and 4 year olds. They are all sitting on a table. So the end result isn't always pretty but the kids know they made it and of course the adults have to praise them on their 'creation'. Besides the marshmallows, the only thing bad in it is a little bit of brown sugar.

Lanette, I think it is you who has the excema, I have psoriasis and through the years it has pretty much cleared up except for under skin rolls. But arms, elbows, ankles have completely cleared.

Michele, the video is wonderful except there was no close up of you two. It looked like everything was fine and everyone had a good time.

Does anyone watch The Good Doctor? It's about an autistic savant young doctor. As the show goes on, he is communicating better with people. But he is very blunt I guess he doesn't understand emotin. Tonight he had to face an autistic teen. This was the first autistic person he had ever met and he had trouble accepting him as a person not just a case. In the end, they were pals.

Surprised at who went through to next week on Dancimg with the stars. I thought my one I am rooting for would have gone.

I will ask again if anyone has any experience with the Google Pixel 2 phone. If I don't get any replies, I will give it up. I am just trying to get actual people responses, not just the reviews who sometimes I wonder if they are real people.

I bought Ellie her birthday present from Amazon today and that got me in the mood for other things so I may start my shopping soon!!!!! Part of it will be ornaments that JanetR made.

Joyce, Indiana
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Joyce - Thank you so much, it makes me feel very humbled. Hope you are pleased with them.

I had not even heard of a Google Pixel 2 phone. I'm not very savvy about these things, and phones even less than PC, tablets, etc. I did go Google the Google (ha ha) and it looks great, but then its their advertising, right?

Janetr OKC
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Morning! Machka I second everyone's opinion that your #1 job is healing. Everything else goes to the bottom of the list, heal, and that takes time.

Allie keep on truckin' over to that gym around the corner, it will be such a stress reliever! you just won't believe it!

Really have no interest in all the food swirling around work this time of year, walking away from the treats table is easier and easier, as long as I've packed my lunch with lots of choices, colors and flavors--for me that is the trick.
    and I always would choose a cup of coffee to put in my hand, for some reason, people don't push food as much as long as I have a cup of coffee in my hand!

NYKAREN
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,786 Member
    Options
    M in Oz at my dental office we would have sent you to Oral surgery..sorry you in so much pain...may i.suggest warm salt water rinses after each meal will help you heal a bit quicker.im up having my tea..and having the girls over for a Christmas party on the 15 the of december.im conviently going to be sick that day so that I can prepare..
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Machka9
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I was finally back in Spanish class today!!

My husband and I missed one class because we were up north putting on a weekend of cycling events. Then we missed another class because I was madly studying for a final exam and we were trying to get our place ready for a house inspection. Then we missed another class because I was trying to recover from a rather invasive dental surgery. And meanwhile, my husband has been extremely busy with work.

So tonight, I returned to class ... but my husband has decided to drop out. Just not enough hours in his day right now.

Hola!

Oh, and then we went to the beach. :) For all about 5 minutes. He picked me up from class and we detoured by the beach on the way home. It's been such a lovely hot day, I couldn't resist. I just had to make a dash across the sand to stick my feet in the ocean water. The water is still freezing cold ... but I've been waiting months for this!!

Thanks everyone ... yes, I know I need to be patient about the healing. But I have trouble being patient about things like that.

In 2015, shortly before I started with MFP, I had my first uterus polyp removed under a general anaesthetic on a Monday. I did take the Tuesday off work, but returned to work on Wednesday. Little did I know there would be a LONG fire drill that day. I was stuck standing outside in a cold rain for about an hour and a half along with all my coworkers ... and then we all had to climb 5 flights of stairs back up to our floor. I really should have taken that Wednesday off too!!! I felt awful for the rest of the week. But I do tend to rush things.

M in Oz
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,084 Member
    Options
    Skimmed writing from work.

:heart: Margaret

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbie: Congratulations on new glasses! The best news is that your eyes are in good condition. :star:

Machka: We've been non-churched for a number of years because we couldn't find the right match when we moved here. The church we attended in our last town started out well but became progressively more clique oriented. I've heard that the pastor divorced his wife, resigned, and moved away. His wife and her inner clique is what drove us away. It is too bad that social snobbery can be so destructive and is so frequently a part of church going. :ohwell:

Yesterday DH & I went down to the boat and winterized things. He is feeling the pain today and says he'll never do it again. I hope that isn't true. Today I'm getting a haircut. I've gotten pretty shaggy and it is definitely time to take care of things.

We bought an Instant Pot after seeing so many of you sing its praises and our neighbor, too. Last night we used it for the first time to make beef stew. It was very good.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Hi beautiful ladies,

Katla, good news about your grandson going home and it wasn’t any more serious than an infection. Sounds like your days have been busy.

Allie, congrats on going to the gym.

Barbie, glad your eyes are doing well. I recently had cataracts removed from both eyes. Pretty easy surgery and I see so much better. Because they put in new lens I only need glasses for reading.

Machka, glad to hear you are healing nicely. It was a major correction so it would take a bit of time to heal. Guess patience is the name of the game for you. ((Hugs))

Joyce, I certainly understand how your recipes are traditional. Give the ones I sent you another time. I smile thinking of your GD helping. I don’t’ know anything about the Google Pixel 2 phone. Sorry I can’t help.

Heather, loved the picture. Food always is a nice gift. Every year I make my “famous” peanut brittle. I use to sell it at work and it sold really well. Now I pretty much make it for my own gifts. My cousin loves to get some. Here is the basic recipe if anyone is interested. You can also make it with different nuts. I’ve made it with chocolate chips or heath bar crunch bits (added after it is cooked and poured out). I’ve also made it with cayenne pepper for a spicy one.

Peanut Brittle
    NOTES:

1. You will need a candy thermometer.
    2. Have everything measured and ready ahead of time.
    3. Takes about 1 hour of interrupted time because you have to stir continuously. (Pull up a chair to the stove and sit and stir.)
    4. To clean pan, fill with boiling water and let set until brittle has melted off.

3 cups sugar
    ½ cup light corn syrup
    1 cup hot water
    ¼ cup butter (don’t use margarine) (cut into pieces)
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 jar (16 oz.) unsalted dry roasted peanuts

Combine:
    1½ teaspoons baking soda
    1 teaspoon water
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

 Grease two cookie sheets and keep warm in 200° oven.
     In a large pan, combine sugar, corn syrup and 1 cup hot water.
     Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with wooden spoon, until soft-ball stage (240°)
     Stir in butter, salt and peanuts.
     Continue heating, stirring constantly, until mixture reaches 300°.
     Remove from heat and quickly stir in baking soda mixture.
     Quickly pour half the mixture over each cookie sheet.
     Quickly spread out with wooden spoon into ¼ inch thickness.
     Cool.
     Break into pieces.

(Makes about 2½ pounds)

DH is home sick with a cold. When he is stuffed up he can’t use his sleep apnea machine which means he doesn’t sleep which mean it takes him a while to get over a cold. DD had it too. Hoping I don’t get it. Trying to stay away from them which is hard in a small house.

Well back to work. Terry
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Good morning all.

Hearing about bad church experiences makes me really sad. Sorry everyone that people are so petty and unkind. My boys and I were talking about something related a couple nights ago -- I reminded them that kindness is a fruit of the spirit (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness, ___, self control . . . I'm missing something.) but we don't spend a lot of time talking about it. We should spend more time on that and less time judging people. (stepping off my soap box.)

Step 1 of going to Israel is complete -- my husband is in Virginia for the week. Step two begins on Thursday when I drive my little guy up to my mom's house. Then very early Friday morning, I'll drive from her place to PDX and fly out to Virginia to meet my husband. From there, we will fly together to Israel. Although I say "together" very loosely because he will be upgraded and I won't. But I'm okay with that.

I had the "if something should happen to both of us while we're gone" talk with my two older boys last night. I just reminded them that there is a lot of insurance money, divided up between them, and that I want the two younger boys to go to my ex-sister-in-law's house. (Both boys think of her as their aunt, but she is really just the aunt of my two older boys.) My oldest son was a little insulted. "You don't think I can take care of them." I responded that I knew that he could take care of them but that I didn't want to put that on him when he is only 21.

Anyway, we have a sudden "huddle" downstairs at work, so I need to go. These last minute, "We all need to talk," make me nervous.

Love to all and healing wishes to those who need them, physically, emotionally, and spiritually.

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon