Jeans from the 80s vs Jeans from today

Options

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »
    I can only speak about men's jeans, which have always been sold by waist and inseam. The waist measurements have always been approximate at best, since even standard fit jeans sit not at the waist but just above the hips. But yes, I'm convinced that jeans run at least 2 inches larger for the stated waist measurement than they used to. My true waist measures about 33 inches, but 32 inch Levi's are very loose on me -- that's what I'm wearing right now, and they'd fall off without a belt -- and I can comfortably fit into 30 inch. I never bothered measuring my waist when I was younger, but when I was about the same weight as I am now 30 years ago, 32 or 33 inch jeans fit me just right.

I bought 2 pairs a few years back of 505 40 W. one pair sat comfortably around my waist and thighs... the other felt like they were going to crush my thighs for at least a few hours till I got them to stretch out.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    32W is supposed to be a measurement, not like the size 6/8/4 you often see in women’s clothing that change brand to brand. Have you tried measuring the waist band to see if it is in fact 32”?

This was my thought as well. Vanity sizing usually applies to sizes (6/8/4) not to inch measurements. That's weird, although in the picture the waists of the jeans don't look much different.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    32W is supposed to be a measurement, not like the size 6/8/4 you often see in women’s clothing that change brand to brand. Have you tried measuring the waist band to see if it is in fact 32”?

This was my thought as well. Vanity sizing usually applies to sizes (6/8/4) not to inch measurements. That's weird, although in the picture the waists of the jeans don't look much different.

The waist size is difference is pretty big actually. There is nearly an inch on each side. The picture does it no justice.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    ITUSGirl51 wrote: »
    I mean even Lane Bryant only goes up to a 26/28. ( They shouldn't even go up that higj.) .

wat. Yeah, anyone larger should be covered in a king size blanket. I don't think so.

Wow...
  • WillingtoLose1001984
    WillingtoLose1001984 Posts: 240 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I mean even Lane Bryant only goes up to a 26/28. ( They shouldn't even go up that higj.) .

wat. Yeah, anyone larger should be covered in a king size blanket. I don't think so.

Wow...

I am big. I just think it is a wake up call to not fit in sizes that are plus size and it would help some bigger people to not experience the suffering of being big if they stopped at a smaller size and get the wake up call sooner. I got to a 26/28 and knowing I couldn't get any bigger halted my weight gain. I just wish that would have happened sooner. It is a lot of pain to be over 300 lbs
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »
    I can only speak about men's jeans, which have always been sold by waist and inseam. The waist measurements have always been approximate at best, since even standard fit jeans sit not at the waist but just above the hips. But yes, I'm convinced that jeans run at least 2 inches larger for the stated waist measurement than they used to. My true waist measures about 33 inches, but 32 inch Levi's are very loose on me -- that's what I'm wearing right now, and they'd fall off without a belt -- and I can comfortably fit into 30 inch. I never bothered measuring my waist when I was younger, but when I was about the same weight as I am now 30 years ago, 32 or 33 inch jeans fit me just right.

I bought 2 pairs a few years back of 505 40 W. one pair sat comfortably around my waist and thighs... the other felt like they were going to crush my thighs for at least a few hours till I got them to stretch out.

Check the labels for where they were made. Levi's are no longer made in the US, but all over. I have Levi's made in Mexico, Egypt, Honduras, and Bangladesh, and they all fit differently. (And are of different quality. The zipper broke on the Bangladesh-made jeans a couple of weeks after I bought them.)
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Here's another complication: I once saw a video of a stack of garments being cut- the pieces on the bottom came out a different size than the pieces on the top. It's an expected variation.

Yep. I experienced this at Ann Taylor. I tried on a pair of jeans that fit me perfectly, so I grabbed a second pair of the exact same style and size. After I got home I put on the second pair and it was WAY to big on me. I wasn't happy heading back to the store to return them.
  • krael65
    krael65 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Here's another complication: I once saw a video of a stack of garments being cut- the pieces on the bottom came out a different size than the pieces on the top. It's an expected variation.

Yep. I experienced this at Ann Taylor. I tried on a pair of jeans that fit me perfectly, so I grabbed a second pair of the exact same style and size. After I got home I put on the second pair and it was WAY to big on me. I wasn't happy heading back to the store to return them.

Same thing happened to me at Ann Taylor Loft! Except the pair that fit me must have been from the "bigger" batch. When I went back to grab more of the same size, they were too snug. :(
  • ITUSGirl51
    ITUSGirl51 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    rkmomm wrote: »
    sandylion wrote: »
    Mslmesq wrote: »

Why people that post here are in denial that this is a real thing is beyond me. I don’t care that I’ve seen sizes shrink per se. but it is kind of funny. No offense, but today’s size 6 means you probably are on a diet.

Or you're more than 5 feet tall. I see plenty of people that are a size 6, 10, or even 14 that don't need to diet. But they're 5'8, 5'10 or 6'1. Not everyone is meant to weigh 100lbs. Health BMI for me (haven't been there in years! but it exists) is 170 lbs. I'd still be at least a size 12, and I wouldn't be on a diet.

I don't deny vanity sizing is a thing. But I also don't believe a size 6 necessarily means you need to diet. I'm 5'2, 115#, size 8 jeans. I'm well within the healthy BMI range and fairly happy with my stats. (apologies for the crappy pic!)
    hcosnc22qv2j.jpg

Are those US 8 jeans? I’m 5’8” wearing size 8 jeans and I’m not as slim as you. A UK 8 is like a US 4.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I remember noticing the size issue when I was a kid in the 80"s though too. I remember very specifically realizing that name brand pants were much smaller than cheap ones, which is funny, because now it seems to be the other way around.
  • krael65
    krael65 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    rkmomm wrote: »

Why people that post here are in denial that this is a real thing is beyond me. I don’t care that I’ve seen sizes shrink per se. but it is kind of funny. No offense, but today’s size 6 means you probably are on a diet.

Or you're more than 5 feet tall. I see plenty of people that are a size 6, 10, or even 14 that don't need to diet. But they're 5'8, 5'10 or 6'1. Not everyone is meant to weigh 100lbs. Health BMI for me (haven't been there in years! but it exists) is 170 lbs. I'd still be at least a size 12, and I wouldn't be on a diet.

I don't deny vanity sizing is a thing. But I also don't believe a size 6 necessarily means you need to diet. I'm 5'2, 115#, size 8 jeans. I'm well within the healthy BMI range and fairly happy with my stats. (apologies for the crappy pic!)
    hcosnc22qv2j.jpg

Are those US 8 jeans? I’m 5’8” wearing size 8 jeans and I’m not as slim as you. A UK 8 is like a US 4.

Yes, these are US 8.
  • jrochest
    jrochest Posts: 119 Member
    Options

Nope, vanity sizing is about the same in the 'waist measurement' sizes as well: this image is from an Esquire magazine article from 2010: http://ckthomascustomapparel.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/vanity.jpg

• Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

If this was true, there would only be size 0 in the petite department. But petite clothing is for 5'4" and under. Plenty of 00's, 0, 2, and size 4 in the regular ladies department for women 5'5" and taller.

• Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Also, my point is not that all size six women need to diet. My point is that vanity sizing is a real thing, so whereas a size six used to mean you were as thin as could be, now you will find *some* women wearing a size six on a diet. And not because they are anorexic.