Jeans from the 80s vs Jeans from today

Options

Replies

• Just_Jon
    Just_Jon Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Were both of them washed and dried? Maybe the ones from the 80's have gone through many more dryer (i.e. shrinking) cycles?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Sizes have unquestionably changed, but given that this is a waist measurement, I still think a major reason for the apparent difference (at least based on the photo) is that the waist in the '80s jeans hits higher, and so would have to be narrower than jeans cut to end at the hips somewhere (which even in a 32 will involve a higher measurement since someone with a 32 in waist is assumed to be larger around the hips).
  • HDBKLM
    HDBKLM Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I feel like the difference between high and low rise is accounted for already. I mean, I wear my low-rise jeans around my 39-inch hips but they're marked a 30 rather than 39 (for the record my waist is 31" so the waist estimate is close even though the jeans don't go up that high). Maybe I'm missing something, but although I think it's getting harder for us to be individually certain whether sizing variations these days can be attributed to vanity sizing or the brand-by-brand free-for-all, the article linked on the previous page lays out the timeline of first vanity sizing and later free-for-all pretty plainly. I also suspect there was a time when UK and US sizing was the same, and we were not saying stuff like 'I wear a UK12/US8.'
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I don't wear jeans, thus cannot comment on those. But I found a pair of trousers in a charity shop the other day, still with label. Nothing unusual. But these trousers are exactly the same that I had bought, and loved in around 2004 (I still have the original, by now torn ones in case I ever find the right fabric). Yep, same size, same fit, same pants. I'm also lighter than I was in 2004. Guess what: my body has changed too much and they are a bit tight here and there. Still fit, but it's interesting to see that bodies even of adults still change a lot.
  • betty_veronica4
    betty_veronica4 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I don't care too much about sizes. I try everything on because fit is so important. But, yeah, I think vanity sizing is a real thing. That being said, as I have gotten older, I have learned what looks best on my body, and I appreciate some of the new materials in jeans and other clothes today. Lemme tell you, my jeans size may have been smaller in college, but I look much better now - thank you, Old Navy sculpting jeans!
  • HDBKLM
    HDBKLM Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I don't care too much about sizes. I try everything on because fit is so important. But, yeah, I think vanity sizing is a real thing. That being said, as I have gotten older, I have learned what looks best on my body, and I appreciate some of the new materials in jeans and other clothes today. Lemme tell you, my jeans size may have been smaller in college, but I look much better now - thank you, Old Navy sculpting jeans!

Definitely true about the benefits of modern jeans despite vanity sizing. How do I love thee, stretch denim? That and low waist. I have a super short torso such that, as I've posted elsewhere, low-rise jeans are nearly normal rise on me, normal rise are high rise, and high rise are halter tops. In fact, until low-rise jeans came onto my radar around 2001 (I was already 27 by then so way past puberty and hip expansion) I exclusively bought boys jeans and wore them at my hips.
  • tolorii
    tolorii Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Can I just say, I LOVE that you've held onto that pair of jeans for over thirty years! <3
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Just_Jon wrote: »
    Were both of them washed and dried? Maybe the ones from the 80's have gone through many more dryer (i.e. shrinking) cycles?

The 80's ones were washed many, many times. But jeans didn't really shrink a lot back then. Then denim did not have any stretch to them. After wearing them for about an hour they felt a little less restraining but did not stretch out lIke thsee days.

The new ones were not yet washed. Straight from the store.

If I am ever small enough to actually get a leg in and brave enough to squash myself into the old ones I will post a picture of me in both pair. But that could be a long time. Lol
  • GOT_Obsessed
    Options
    tolorii wrote: »
    Can I just say, I LOVE that you've held onto that pair of jeans for over thirty years! <3

Thanks. When I stopped wearing them my Mom hemmed them and wore them herself for years. She was 2 inches shorter than me (5'2") so they are pretty short in kength.

I have been trying to think of someone I know who could fit them. (although they would be short) Then I could stand beside them in the ones that fit me.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    Options
    **length
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I hate buying jeans full stop.
    it seems that EVERY bran think that the fact I need a bigger waist size also means I have a giant thighs and a massive bum
    every pair I try that fit nicely around the middle hang off my bum and legs, looks like Iv been playing dress up with my mums clothes

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I hate buying jeans full stop.
    it seems that EVERY bran think that the fact I need a bigger waist size also means I have a giant thighs and a massive bum
    every pair I try that fit nicely around the middle hang off my bum and legs, looks like Iv been playing dress up with my mums clothes

opposite problem here. lol.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I got the old Jeans on and zipped.

Congrats! That's awesome

I still have the jeans I wore on my first date with my husband back in 1999. Not quite as impressive as yours, lol, but I intend to fit back into them again if possible after what 2 babies did to my hips :wink: Right now they go up and buttoned but won't zip, and it ain't pretty :lol:
  • GOT_Obsessed
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    I got the old Jeans on and zipped.

Congrats! That's awesome

I still have the jeans I wore on my first date with my husband back in 1999. Not quite as impressive as yours, lol, but I intend to fit back into them again if possible after what 2 babies did to my hips :wink: Right now they go up and buttoned but won't zip, and it ain't pretty :lol:

Thanks!
    Oh such a cute goal you have! And you will get there! Best of luck.

Psssst. The shirt is covering a bit of a muffin top. The jeans in the 80s were sooooo high wasted.
  • OpulentSin
    OpulentSin Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Most of the world is getting FAT. Obesity is on the rise; obesity will likely soon be the norm! Clothing lines want to sell clothes and fat people, particularly women, tend not to shop when faced with having to purchase clothes in the double digits, let alone in the twenties or with too many Xs, so clothing manufacturers got the bright idea to change scale their sizes down.
  • fruitily
    fruitily Posts: 75 Member
    Options
  • fruitily
    fruitily Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Primark just changed their sizing, removing numerical and going to an extremely vanity sized s, m, l format. Size 6/8 US is now a small
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    fruitily wrote: »
    Primark just changed their sizing, removing numerical and going to an extremely vanity sized s, m, l format. Size 6/8 US is now a small

This is just a shame.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    OpulentSin wrote: »
    Most of the world is getting FAT. Obesity is on the rise; obesity will likely soon be the norm! Clothing lines want to sell clothes and fat people, particularly women, tend not to shop when faced with having to purchase clothes in the double digits, let alone in the twenties or with too many Xs, so clothing manufacturers got the bright idea to change scale their sizes down.

The biggest problem with this is that it becomes more difficult to buy smaller sizes. If you are an adult and get to a size 6 in Australia your only options really are teen shops and children's clothing. Very few department stores and adult boutique shops go lower than an 8 and when they do it is only in a select few lines.