Jeans from the 80s vs Jeans from today

mvhm32aytaqb.jpg

When I was jeans shopping today the girl working asked me what size I was. Because I have been losing weight I really didn't know. So she brought out a few different sizes to try and I got a nice fitting pair on sale.

When I got home I pulled out an old pair from many moons ago which I remember wearing in high school.
I had heard of vanity sizing and wanted to see it for myself. I was pretty surprised. (See pic)

Why are the size numbers now so much lower than they used to be. Are clothing companies afraid to hurt our feelings?

Replies

• ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited February 2018
    I can only speak about men's jeans, which have always been sold by waist and inseam. The waist measurements have always been approximate at best, since even standard fit jeans sit not at the waist but just above the hips. But yes, I'm convinced that jeans run at least 2 inches larger for the stated waist measurement than they used to. My true waist measures about 33 inches, but 32 inch Levi's are very loose on me -- that's what I'm wearing right now, and they'd fall off without a belt -- and I can comfortably fit into 30 inch. I never bothered measuring my waist when I was younger, but when I was about the same weight as I am now 30 years ago, 32 or 33 inch jeans fit me just right.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    32W is supposed to be a measurement, not like the size 6/8/4 you often see in women’s clothing that change brand to brand. Have you tried measuring the waist band to see if it is in fact 32”?

Hmmm, interesting. I just measured the waistband.

It is 37 1/2"

Interesting. In that case they are definitely vanity sizing. I have no come across that with measured sized myself.
  • krael65
    krael65 Posts: 306 Member
    This is something that perplexes me. I'm 5'2, 115#. I wear size 6 or 8 jeans. When I was this weight in the early eighties, I wore size 3/5.

I wear XS, sometimes XXS in tops & Tshirt type dresses.

I'm always amazed when I hear of women who are 5'2, 150# wearing smaller jeans than I do. I just don't get it! I guess vanity sizing doesn't apply to me. It's not like my body is oddly disproportionate...
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    rkmomm wrote: »
    This is something that perplexes me. I'm 5'2, 115#. I wear size 6 or 8 jeans. When I was this weight in the early eighties, I wore size 3/5.

I'm always amazed when I hear of women who are 5'2, 150# wearing smaller jeans than I do. I just don't get it! I guess vanity sizing doesn't apply to me. It's not like my body is oddly disproportionate...

Yeah you seem opposite to everyone else. And congrats for being the same low weight as years ago!
  • krael65
    krael65 Posts: 306 Member
    rkmomm wrote: »

Yeah you seem opposite to everyone else. And congrats for being the same low weight as years ago!

Thank you!!
  • lois1231
    lois1231 Posts: 331 Member
    they were a lot smaller.
  • TonyB0588 wrote: »
    I don't wear jeans, but I fully agree that clothing sizes are inconsistent across brands and country of manufacture. It's almost impossible to buy anything without trying it first.

Yeah, I can't go by my measurements when I buy things or they won't fit. You pretty much have to try things on if it is fitted. I really don't see much of a difference in those jeans.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    I don't wear jeans, but I fully agree that clothing sizes are inconsistent across brands and country of manufacture. It's almost impossible to buy anything without trying it first.

Yeah, I can't go by my measurements when I buy things or they won't fit. You pretty much have to try things on if it is fitted. I really don't see much of a difference in those jeans.

You would if you saw me trying to squeeze my *kitten* into the old ones. Lol
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I'm surprised you have pants from the 1980's still. I think my oldest clothing item is a sweatshirt from 1996ish.

Size numbers have always been kind of useless. I do think jeans from back then were higher up on the waist and not stretchy so that may make the sizes different not just vanity.
    I don't remember what size pants I wore in the 1980's. I was really thin and had trouble getting things that fit well I remember. Boy's pants seemed to fit my body shape better. Maybe I had narrow hips?

A previous thread on vanity sizing with waist measurements being off looked like it depended on brand how badly off they are-
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/992561/i-hate-vanity-sizing

Does the stated waist measurement of the pants that fit you match your current waist measurement?
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    I’m in the Target at this very moment, shopping for jeans for my 12-year-old son. It’s somewhat easier than buying jeans for me. I’m standing here in jeans that are too big and I won’t even try buying some for myself until I have to.