Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fast Food Addiction - Can Anyone Else Relate?

Options

Replies

• fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    It's carbs and sugar! Can it not be addictive?

Wrong!!!! Problem with fast food is that they have a lot of high carbs, high fats and moderate/to low protein which in total makes up a huge amount of calories.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    Thank you for commenting but please don't tell me that I'm not addicted. Fast food can be addictive. I did research on it, and a lot of research says it is. Some people can go and get fast food, and be fine like my boyfriend can. But other people, like me for instance, thinks about it constantly. Even the next day, I just ate a very nutritious breakfast full of protein but I am still craving that hamburger. So yes, for me it is an addiction. One that has take me months to break, and it's definitely a work of progress.

Yeah it is. If I stop eating fast food I get headaches, fuzzy thinking, lethargy, irritability and cravings that keep me up and wake me up at night. I feel just like I did when I quit smoking (and nobody argues that's addictive, right?) I don't care what anyone says, I know what I feel and some peer-reviewed scientific studies back me on this (I've posted them before.) After a few weeks of abstinence, if I go back to eating fast food (because mmm mmm Taco Bell!) The cycle starts all over. Before I am accused of this, I do not use this as an excuse, I use it as another tool to fight the addiction.

OP: I'm trying to stay away from the fast food, it's the only way I know to take and keep control. Stay strong!!

OK, I've stayed out of this whole addiction debate, but this comment got to me... specifically, which fast food is causing this reaction? Pizza? Burgers? Fries? Tacos? Milkshakes? Chicken fingers? And does eating a french fry clear your thinking, because if it does, I'm headed to McDonalds :)

I know you're being sarcastic but I'm going to answer this as if the question was serious: No, eating a french fry does not exactly clear my thinking, and I haven't been able to stop at one fry since I was 5 (not an excuse. We all have something that we fight; this is mine) but if I eat the fries I stop obsessing over them for a while and I can think about something else. Although I am sated for a while, eating the fries just brings on a cycle of: Obsessing over __________ fast food or junk food; eating the food; obsessing over another fast/junk food. Every time I "quit" the fast/junk food I act exactly the way I did when I quit smoking. The only difference is that I've never wanted to start smoking again. I also tend to "phase out" when eating fast/junk food, I don't realize how much I've eaten until it's gone. I once ate an entire 9" chocolate cake and I only remember "tasting" the frosting at the beginning. And throwing away the empty box in shame so my family wouldn't know.