JUST FOR TODAY ....... One day at a time ..... Daily Commitment Thread for 2018

Options

Replies

• acrylicfox
    acrylicfox Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    I’ve not posted any goals. I tried them couple of days but it’s too soon. I can’t do it.
    Feel like I’m failing at a lot of things atm :cry:
    Feeling really miserable today. Feel like 3 kids is more than I can handle tbh.

Hey, sorry to hear you're feeling down,
    I for one, think you're fantastic.
    just sayin' :smile:
  • toaljasa
    toaljasa Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    toaljasa wrote: »
    I’ve not posted any goals. I tried them couple of days but it’s too soon. I can’t do it.
    Feel like I’m failing at a lot of things atm :cry:
    Feeling really miserable today. Feel like 3 kids is more than I can handle tbh.

Well, of course you can't set goals. And thank goodness because I believe we'd have to vote you off the island for being a dang superwoman!! Okay, so no doubt there is a long list of perceived "failures" that you would jot down at the moment. But share your top number one or two items that are really causing life to tumble around you.

We mommas feel your pain, and sense of abject failure. And we would like nothing more than to swoop in, put you in a hot tub of water and lavender oil, fire up the stove and cook you a freezer full of food, all while sweeping and tidying and laundering. We really would. (I recall with our third or fourth my mom was helping out. She had been cooking all day and minding the children and I asked her if she could do something...don't recall now...and quick witted woman that she was, turned, with an arched eyebrow (only one) and asked, "Would you like me to stick a broom up my rear and sweep as I cook???" We both doubled over cackling! But really, it seems never ending and that's with two of us trying to keep up!!!

We love you Bex. Now, back to the original question. What one or two items on your list are at the very top?

Just the breastfeeding, last night I was so tired I expressed whilst she was asleep and got 3oz, and bought a small bottle of formula incase it wasn’t enough.
    So she drank 3oz BM and 1oz F. So 4oz total, no problem.
    BF her this morning. Asleep for 3 hours. Fine.
    Formula for her next feed because the house was just hectic and I just needed to get her fed and back down again ASAP before chaos struck.
    And 4oz of formula and she was asleep by the end of the bottle.
    Afterwards when she was sleeping and things calmed down I managed to express 3oz because I missed the feed so was feeling full. And the plan was to save it for the last feed tonight if I needed it. So the next feed I started a 4.15-5.30pm and whilst she fed on one side the other side leaks and I decided to catch it in a sterile bottle! (Another oz!!)
    But even after 1hr30 of feeding she was still unsettled so I gave her that oz. still unsettled after that so she’s not even getting a full feed of me in 1hr 30.
    Anyway she DID go sleep with some help but then the other kids acted up. The younger one started screaming which is her response to everything and woke the baby, the same child also has lost the dummys i have for the baby. I then spilt juice everywhere (all the while everyone else is having tea) so I burst into tears, can’t even eat a pizza, baby was wailing at this point and I just walked away and went upstairs, leaving me to feel even more worse.
    My partner brought my food up and managed to get me to eat, I felt better but still had pounding headache.
    I ended up giving her that 3oz to get her full and asleep and she drank it, yet she’s thrown it back up so that was pointless and a waste of my time and effort. And she’s still awake now.

Breastfeeding, well feeding in general, I suppose, is such an adjustment. And you have the jaundice issue to consider which just adds on. And of course this is all new to baby Casey. No doubt she has moments taking in all the hub-bub she'd like nothing more than to be back in that dark cozy womb! The only thing I might suggest is with your darling older daughters. For me, the chaos and topsy turvy, and kids acting wild/rude/out of sorts and out of control just about sent me over the edge...When the days began to be more structured, my time with the baby was less stressful somehow.

And it is quite an adjustment for them as well, eh. What really helped ease my stress a bit (and you may be doing this) was to not only get the baby on a schedule but the children as well. I explained that a family means that not only do we play together we work together. I then posted a job chart with various age appropriate jobs for them. I then showed them how to do the job that I had assigned them (I found out that a child does not know how to tidy a bathroom and wipe down counters without a bit of educating,lol) But they can sweep, wipe counters, sweep outside, pick up clothes, wipe door knobs and around them, set the table, etc. Maybe your partner can help implement this. The key is to consistently have them complete the tasks and praise and thank you's, etc. (again, hoping your partner can assist). And although it didn't help with the baby, it did ease my tension and stress as the house was more orderly and the kids were calmer...and somehow that just made me able to cope with the baby's struggles better. Anyway, my two cents worth of "what if you tried"...and probably not worth that much!!!

Okay, we will all keep you in our thoughts and prayers over this BF struggle. I remember crying and feeding the baby at the same time...YOU ARE DOING GREAT, Bex. And please just keep connecting with us on here...you don't need to set goals or anything...just come.
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Well said @toaljasa . Adjusting to a new baby when you have little ones already is so so hard! And breastfeeding tough enough to begin with, let alone with the pressure of the prolonged jaundice. I ditto everything toaljasa said and would also add to just be kind to yourself and do what you have to do to get through this initial stage. Don’t stress about being perfect, if they miss nursery or watch a load of TV it’s no big deal. They need you to stay healthy so you must make that your top priority. Eat and rest whenever you can, hydrate as much as poss as breastfeeding is a killer for dehydrating you, and no guilt! X
  • Faebert
    Options
    I feel a bit pathetic now as I was going to have a whinge about falling off the wagon for Friday night.

Me today:
    - exercise early ✅
    - Leave early to go in and fix data ✅
    - Stay within calorie goal :s
    - 12k+ steps ✅
    - Water water water! :|
    - Update email for parents ✅
    - Parents evening appointment allocation ✅
    - Remember cash for birthday present ✅
    - Early night - no Friday night sugar binge! :|

I don’t really even have any reasons. Just tired from a long week and said sod it! But you know what, I’m going to take my own advice above. No guilt! It’s done, I’m fine (actually weighed in slightly underweight by BMI this morning so obviously been pushing too hard). Just another stumble in the path to balance. I will learn from this and move on to a peaceful weekend hopefully.

Hugs and strength and high fives to all of you x
  • toaljasa
    toaljasa Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    And I agree with you @faebert! Get yourself in a good place, Bex, so you can have enough to give to your children! Taking care of yourself is vital. <3
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,200 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I am so far behind in reading all these posts -- but wanted you guys to know I am still here, and will soon start posting my goals again!
    I have been to the disability office off and on all week - collecting letters from doctors, therapists, and taking them in. Then we are leaving for the funeral of my niece's husband .... so this week, I barely logged any food or exercise, and barely even got on here. Too many other things to do and think about.
    SO its been an emotional, and very hectic week. But I am trying to eat healthy, no binge eating, and just hanging in there.
    I think of all of you, and hope you are all doing OK. I'll be back on here soon! :)
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Checking in from Friday
    1. Log accurately. ✔ Log lunch before heading out. ❌ Tea. ✔ Morning meds. ✔
    2. Type and print Week 11 plans. ❌ Create quiz for Friday and test for next Friday. ❌ Review Week 5 discussion. ❌ WRITE THE STUPID PART 1 OF THE STUPID ESSAY! ✔ Play Kahoot! to review figurative language. ✔ Admit that I have no friggin clue what I'm doing. Feel useless and incompetent. ✔✔✔ PRINT PROGRESS REPORTS ❌
    3. Daily 5-min meditation. Yeah like that ever happens. Update class website. ✔ Add thrift store donation & used bookstore to Saturday's plans. Review freshmen unit after spring break and brainstorm ideas. Check on cart for April 13. NO CART 26-27. Print rubrics for ungraded assessments. ✔ Email D about book order.
    4. PLANNING: a - TYPE AND PRINT THAT STUPID ESSAY DADGUMMIT!!! ✔ b - TYPE AND PRINT WEEK 11. ❌ c - Grade ALL freshman work and 2 assignments EACH sophomore class. ❌ d - Input grades. ❌
    5. 1 set body exercises (10 lifted push-ups ALL THE WAY DOWN, 10 lunges each leg, 70 sec plank, 40 sec forward fold, 20 sec triangle each side, 40 sec down dog, 30 sec crane/tree each leg, 15 side leg lifts) aim for 2. ✔ Feel weak and pathetic. 5k steps at school; aim for 6. ✔
    6. PRINT THAT STUPID ESSAY AND TAKE IT HOME. ✔ Reply to I. ✔ Dinner with B? Meet at Sonic, go to gym briefly, eat at Panera. ✔
    7. Gym for Day 3 strength; run to 10k; aim for 12. ✔ Chop the last of the celery. ✔ Check on Zumba and yoga for tomorrow. ✔ Teeth flossed, rinsed, brushed; in bed by 9:45. ✔

JFT Saturday
    1. Log accurately. Tea. Morning meds. Daily 5-min meditation. 1 set body exercises (10 lifted push-ups ALL THE WAY DOWN, 10 lunges each leg, 70 sec plank, 40 sec forward fold, 20 sec triangle each side, 40 sec down dog, 30 sec crane/tree/warrior 3 each leg, 15 side leg lifts) aim for 2.
    2. Zumba and yoga; check FB, meetup, texts for changes to plans. Alternate: jog to 5k steps.
    3. Check terms; create test for next Friday. Review Week 5 discussion. WRITE THE STUPID PART 2 OF THE STUPID ESSAY. Next week check with K about book order; email D? Check with J&L about poetry scaffold; send to B?
    4. INPUT GRADES. SET UP PROGRESS REPORTS. Pay car registration and put in mail. WEEK 11 PLANS MUST BE STELLAR.
    5. Lunch & game day with in-laws. Groceries? Library for Akata Warrior. Clothes to donation center. Books to used bookstore. Check with B about dinner tomorrow.

Scale goals

November: 183.6
    December: 176.6
    January: 174.6
    February: 173.6
    March 1: 172.4.
    March 31 goal: 170.4
    March 19 goal: 173.5

March 16: 183.6. I'm trying really hard not to hate myself but some days make that harder than others.
  • HGSmith0920
    HGSmith0920 Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Okay, so let's finish this now. Lol

JFT, 3/16/18

1. Log all food :)Eating at M&M's it's always approx and the measurements for what's actually in the food is my best guess. But I did the best I could! Lol
    2. Water! :)Hit my goal. Thanks to a 3-32oz at M&M's
    3. Up @ 7 :)Yes, fell asleep on the couch for 1.5 hours though! Lol
    4. Morning stuff/Breakfast :)Was later than I wanted it to be but It happened. Lol
    6. Meditate/Bible :)This, in particular, was a great way to start off my morning!
    7. Yoga :):)Finally did this again and it felt great as well!
    8. Gym :)Didnt want to go but I made myself. I was going to wallow in self pity about my lack of a job and my unhireability. However, I had 3 hours to kill before I was supposed to be at M&M's so I went. I had a good time as well.
    9. Email Bank :)Bud(my HR guy) emailed me back and said that I would find out their decision the beginning of next week. HAHAHA
    10. Meal Prep :'(The sleeping late/DH being home kind of screwed that all up. Lol. Gonna do it tomorrow
    11. Lunch :)Was only going to have an apple but I ended up eating some dip and veggies(my new fav!) All logged. Lol
    12. Send out 3 resumes :):DDid this at about 1. Got the call with the offer at about 4
    13. Dinner at M&M's :)Had a really REALLY good time. She made a great dinner and then we sat at the table and talked about my past(mostly). I've mentioned before that she is my Mom's best friend. But there were about 10 years where my life was hell. I was in a *kitten* place mentally and emotionally. My mom never lived any kind of the circumstances I did. She doesnt have the ability to commiserate or even really understand certain things I talk about or things that I did or participated in. But Godmom gets it. She didn't exactly live what I have but she saw the dark side of life that Mommy didn't. She understood me back then and even now understands that part of my life way better than my own mom. I love them equally but it's nice to have another woman to talk to about my past who understands it.
    14. Bed by 12 :|Kind of hit or miss with this one. Probably at or right after.

You've probably all read my news if you've gotten this far, so I won't repeat myself. I'll just say that it was one of the best days I've had while the DH worked in a VERY long time.

So onto tomorrow!

JFT, 3/17/18

1. Log all food
    2. 94oz water
    3. Up by 7:20 w/ DH
    4. Coffee/Tea time
    5. Bible/Meditate/Pray
    6. Yoga
    7. Gym
    8. DROP OFF THE DANG BOOK!
    9. Shower
    10. Meal Prep
    11. Lunch/Dinner in the Crock
    12. Take out leftovers for tomorrow
    13. Needles(possibly)
    14. Clean kitchenette/walls
    15. DH time
    16. Dinner/Dishes
    17. Bed by 11

I hope everyone has a great night!
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,072 Member
    Options
    It’s 3.30 am, baby is BFing again. I feel a bit better. Got myself in a right funk yesterday!

Hoping and praying for a better day today! It is my birthday after all!
  • cschmitz110515
    cschmitz110515 Posts: 3,477 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday @Bex953172! Wishing you a wonderful, restful day.
  • Faebert
    Options
    Happy birthday @Bex953172!
  • Faebert
    Options
    Congratulations @HGSmith0920! How typical that the call came just when you were starting to think about other jobs! Hopefully this one is meant to be and you love it. Enjoy your last days of freedom!
  • Faebert
    Options
    I forgot to post weekend goals last night as I was in a bit of a funk. But I have some things I want to achieve (just for today) so...

- exercise early
    - Hot yoga
    - 10k steps
    - 2ltr+ water
    - Pay balance for P’s easter drama club
    - Find and book easter club for L
    - Cancel L hosp appt
    - Speak to alarm company about getting a kitten
    - Research cattery costs and automatic cat feeders
    - Laundry and grocery shopping

As you can see, I’m thinking about getting a kitten. The girls have been desperate for a pet for a while and a family friend has some looking for a good home. I’m just feeling a bit nervous about it. As a single parent working full time, I really don’t need any extra responsibilities. But I would love to give the kids this gift and maybe they can learn from taking on some of the duties too? Don’t know!

Any wisdom from the pet owners amongst you??
  • Faebert
    Options
    @clicketykeys please don’t hate yourself. Your lists each day are incredible. I can see the sheer amount of work you do in your job and you still focus on health goals too - that is much much more than most people manage. Be proud of that and don’t let a stupid number affect you.

Spring is coming and hopefully you are due a work break soon (not sure of terms where you are?) I’m sure with a rest and re-set you will see the results you want. Hugs x

@joan6630 - just wishing you strength for the funeral and all the stress you’ve had with your daughter’s stuff. Well done for staying focussed. X
  • bookmeister86
    bookmeister86 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Yesterday's commitments:

- Log everything I eat :)
    - Stick to food plan :| I had 2 extra G&Ts (c. 100 kcals). My and the boyfriend felt like getting Friday p#ssed
    - Take a 45+ minute lunch break :'( Nope, was far too behind on work to do this
    - Stop work by 6.30 :neutral: 6.45, because I had to in order to get ready for evening plans!

Today I'm having a girly day out with my oldest friend (she's actually my youngest friend, lol... But we've been friends since we were 3!). I'm going to allow myself to over indulge a little today - we're going for a nice meal - but not going too mad!

Today's commitments:

- Log everything I eat
    - Make and stick to food plan
    - have fun!
  • sarah74_vt
    sarah74_vt Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the new job, @HGSmith0920!!

Happy Birthday, @Bex953172!! Glad you're having a better day!

JFY (Friday)
    1. Drink 8 glasses of water :)
    2. Log all the food I eat :)
    3. Stay in the green with my food intake :/ (Went over a little, it was my son's 19th birthday...wow, I feel old!! LOL)
    4. Go to the gym (Yeah, no shoveling today!!!!) :)

JFT (Saturday)
    1. Drink 8 glasses of water
    2. Log all the food I eat
    3. Stay in the green with my food intake
    4. Go for a walk
  • asclepsia
    asclepsia Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Asclepsia:
    Taking a page from cschmidt; if it's out there for others to see, I'll be more committed.
    Height: 5- 8.5 inches
    Weight: starting weight--168
    1/1/ 2018=168.0
    2/1/2018: 164.0
    3/1/2018: 166.
    3/15/2018: 165.2
    Short term goal: 162 by April 1

Back to logging food and being accountable; I've been slacking off the last month or so, and it shows. When I got weighed at the doctor's office yesterday, I had gained about 3-4 pounds--obviously going in the wrong direction. I didn't get any lectures, but I felt disappointed in myself.
    JFT:
    Log all food, even little snicky-snacks. :)
    Water: 6 cups--5, I think
    Exercise: 20" or more---15"
    Study for master gardener's class--yes--got folder organized and study sheets run off.
    Tidy living room area--organ tuner arrives tomorrow, and there needs to be a path to the instrument. yes--and the organ sounds so much better; the pedals work now! Yahoo!