Comments on Weight Loss by friends/family

Options

Replies

• NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    The best compliment I received came from a pharmacist clerk that I never remembered waiting on me. She said "Didn't you use to be extremely heavy?" She then added "you are looking good." Nothing like a comment by essentially a stranger...I don't have to wonder if she was just being kind.
  • jennifurballs
    jennifurballs Posts: 247 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I love it when people notice. A cheerleader at my son's school told me last night at a football game that I looked great. My Mom told me today that I look 20 years younger. Loved that one!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    love this topic.. here is what i think from my experience. When I got down to my goal weight before..people started commenting when i was about at goal. It happened all of a sudden.. and i wondered why people didn't say anything as I was losing? Honestly, i don't think they noticed until that point.

I also think that some people are afraid if might be rude or make someone uncomfortable to mention their weight in public.
  • sarieth05
    sarieth05 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Nobody I know has said anything to me, but I feel like I'm losing weight evenly so it may be harder to see. My husband did check out my butt in my jeans and told me it looked dumpy because of how baggy they were, so... that made me both chuckle and freak out about needing new pants. My mother-in-law apparently said something to my husband about noticing some of my weight loss, and I was kind of like... oh man, should have said that to ME.
  • salgal33
    salgal33 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My compliments have come from a few. I am down 36 pounds and I think for my co-workers its been harder for them to notice because the weight has come off slowly over the last 10 months and I haven't made any proclamations or talk about my food or fitness regimen.
    However I was at a business conference last week wearing a rather fitted (but appropriate) new outfit. Our COO approached me at a break and asked if I had been losing weight. He was very encouraging.
    Then I was at the high school for a practice and one of my girls said "Coach! you look hot! " ... Compliments from a 16 yr old....I'll take it. B)

• MegE_N
    MegE_N Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    So funny you should post this today! I was out with some friends last night and one was kind of drunk. I hadn't seen him in quite some time and he kept going on about how good I looked. When the conversation turned to just the two of us he was asking about it, I explained, and he just stayed on topic. I eventually managed to slip a conversation-change in there. At the end of the night I went to hug him goodbye and he kept going on, "You look great, keep it up, keep it up." I felt awkward - it seemed a bit like overkill, like drawing too much attention to it.

I guess it's just like anything - there's a polite way to do it and a not-so-polite way to do it.
  • fmpro
    fmpro Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My SW was 335 lbs and I can tell you that my efforts went unnoticed until I reached the 60-70 pound mark. I'm now down 120lbs and frequently get comments. Stick with it!
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    mhlew wrote: »
    I was curious what the general opinion was on this topic, but are most people hesitent to comment on weight loss? I am dying to hear my friends say "you look like your losing weight" or "have you lost weight?".

I have received maybe 3 comments one from my Mom, and the other from a friend (granted I have a lot to lose, I dont think 16 pounds is super noticeable yet going from 293 to 278) but in comparison pictures you can see it.

One friend who I am close with she said a lot of people do not like to give compliments. Now before everyone says "dont worry about comments, you need to do this for you and your health blah blah" Yes - these are my reasons too for losing weight, but a big motivator is looking and feeling great and people taking notice. I think that is awesome when peole take notice of your hard work. Thoughts?

For me, I don't always say something for a few reasons. The first is that if they really aren't losing weight, I wouldn't want to upset them. Also, I never know WHY someone is losing weight. Where I've work, we've recently had a LOT of people that have lost a LOT of noticeable weight, and it is because they have cancer.

Now if someone is telling me they are trying to lose weight, and I notice a difference in them, THEN I will say something!
  • Jennifer10723
    Jennifer10723 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I didn't hear anything until after 25 pounds lost. I got a couple .. "are you losing weight" and I got one .. you are looking really good! Made me feel good. It is nice to get that nod that what you are doing is working. It will come.
  • ashleybreanna13
    ashleybreanna13 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    It's a shame that people are "scared" to compliment people anymore. I mean, I do it a lot, and when I do, it's almost like people are thinking I am hitting on them? Not sure, but they can get used to it, cause I say what I think, and what I think, is a compliment!!
  • ashleybreanna13
    ashleybreanna13 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    PS. Once I lost about 30lbs, one of my co-workers said "Give it up already." She was mad because I didn't want to order a pizza with her.
  • keshabbaker
    keshabbaker Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I love compliments they keep me motivated and so far I have gotten a lot but it's because I post before and after pictures on facebook. I do that because that's how I got motivated to start losing weight by following certain people on instagram/FB and that got me off my butt and to the gym. Good luck I am sure if people saw before and after pictures they would be able to tell but it's really hard to notice when you see someone a lot.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I started getting comments after about 25 lbs (that's a lot on me, I'm 5'2.5"). There was one period of time when I couldn't go into the office or attend a meeting without someone saying something, and it felt like my physical appearance change had become overwhelming and was overshadowing my work. Now I get comments like "you're smaller every time I see you!" Other than DH and DD my family has no idea I've lost weight.

I always say thank you, and smile. They're all just being sweet and pleased for me, even though I forget all the time that I look different on the outside. I think I've had one negative comment.

However, I don't like it when they mention it in front of my daughter. I've focused very much on that I'm doing this for my health (e.g. I explain I'm weighing my food to make sure my body gets the protein, fat and fiber it needs), so when someone says "you've lost a load of weight, you look lovely and skinny!" in front of an 9 year-old girl, it makes me uncomfortable.
  • lkraus17
    Options
    I think the 2 biggest compliments I got recently were not about my appearance but my family as a whole. The first one was from another mom at my boys' school. "We see you guys walking everywhere now. My girls want to start walking to school now too." And the second one came from one of their teacher's "Your son is a different kid this year. Focused, energetic and very upbeat."
    And yes, while it would be nice to hear someone say you look fantastic, I'm more thrilled that my kids are living healthier and becoming role models to other students to get more exercise. :)
  • laurie62ann
    laurie62ann Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    JoshD8705 wrote: »
    I like the comments on my muscle gains more than my weight loss, but both are nice. I've had a few of both. It did feel good when my niece was able to give me a full hug, and she said I was getting small lol.

I agree with this!! I've been lifting and people are commenting on "my weight loss" and I respond "nope haven't lost a pound". I'm losing fat but gaining muscle. I'm down a pant size but haven't lost a pound!! Loving it!!
  • mhlew
    mhlew Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Fun thread, I enjoyed reading all the comments. I am glad I am already incorporating weight lifting into my workouts.
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    i went from 285 to 195. I think it takes a bit to get somewhere where peole will just naturally notice. By the time i was 250 everyone noticed and then as i'd get to 230/220/210 it really gets more and more obvious.

but at the same time, don't worry about compliments, you'll always notice the little changes before anyone else and as long as you're noticing it, you know you're on the right path.
  • lemonsurprise
    lemonsurprise Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I find older people compliment me more than younger! I'm self employed and my older customers are more blunt and will say I look like I've lost weight, or ask me if I have. Whereas the not so older ones won't say anything, or they'll say I look pretty, or another compliment that isn't weight related!
    Like others have said, I think it can be an awkward subject for some to broach.
    I've also heard off of a friends mum that she saw a group of my closest friends down the gym and they all said how well I'd been doing to her, but they haven't said a word to me! I think they must think by saying "you look really good" translates in to "you looked *kitten* before!"
  • Jazz_2014
    Jazz_2014 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I also only heard anything after 25- 30 lbs. It was minimal. Today one of customers I have not seen in a while came in and just dropped jaw. The comment following took me by surprise as she said the girls have been talking about me. I commented I hope it was all good. Then she added, yes, they said you were looking wonderful.
    So yes, people notice . . . but not everyone will say something.

I have to admit I am getting more comfortable with the compliments . . . certainly not used to getting them. I particularly like the supportive comments. Whatever you are doing is working, keep up the good work type of comments.
  • nicoleagafitness
    nicoleagafitness Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 20lbs. and nobody noticed except my husband who sees all of my hard work. He compliments my butt every 5 seconds lol. Nobody else though. I'm 5'2", and now weigh 145lbs.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!