Beginning runner using C25k

Options
Yesterday (10/07/2014) I started the C25k program and I wanted to make a series of posts detailing this journey (I will also post it in my blog, but I hope what I have to say here will help someone) because prior to my ‘run’ yesterday I was feeling very discouraged. But first, a little background to put some things in perspective.

I turn 40 next month and have been overweight for about 17 years, from about the age of 23. I spent from age 18 to 28 in the US Navy. At my most fit, around age 21, I weighed 174 lbs. and had about 9% body fat (by Navy measurements). When I was 23 I was in an accident that resulted in my lungs being damaged and I went from full 100% capacity to about 40%. Because of the damage to my lungs I did not stay as active as I had been (but kept taking in the same calories) and I was also put on medication that contributed to my weight gain. At my heaviest, around 2001 or so, I weighed 332 lbs. (had depression issues, in a bad marriage). Eventually I ended up losing weight (not that I was trying, even with my sedentary lifestyle my body was not meant to be that heavy) and by Jan 2013 I weighed 290 lbs. (so 12 years to lose 42 lbs.). Then in June 2013 I moved from the Seattle area to the Phoenix area and just due to the heat and a (slightly) more active lifestyle I dropped another 20 lbs. and when I made a conscious decision to try to lose weight on Sep 1st 2014 I weighed 270.2 lbs.. I now weigh 255.

Another important piece of my background is that I **NOT** a long distance runner and never have been. In my opinion long distance is anything over 100 meters. Going back as far as I can remember I have never been a distance runner. In 9th grade I ran 1.5 miles in 9:40 (in gym class), but I would run 100 meters then walk a bit, repeat. The one and only time that I ran a complete distance was to graduate from boot camp, and I ran 1.5 miles in about 9.5 minutes or so (we were not allowed to walk). I did 10 PRTs in the Navy, and in every single one I would run, walk, run, walk, and repeat. I was always a good speed runner, in 11th grade I did the 100 meters in 11 seconds, not a world record or anything, but not too bad (in my opinion at least).

When I first decided to lose weight I decided that I would get my calorie intake under control before I worked on my calorie burn. So from Sep 1st to Sep 8th I concentrated on my diet. Then starting September 9th I started walking. My first week I walked 8.87 miles (only 5 days that week), the next week 16.9, then 13 miles, then last week I walked 16.6 miles. Originally I decided that I wanted to get my weight under 240 lbs. before I started running (I didn’t want to hurt my joints or my feet). But when I was out there walking and listening to my music, a song would come on, it would pump me up, and I would want to run. So I decided, screw it, I will try to run.

The above background is to lay the foundation to why I was disappointed and/or discouraged before starting the C25k program. When I started looking around for some type of running program a few weeks ago I found C25k and I thought it was awesome because it catered to how I used to run (the run then walk program) but just worked on getting the running portion of the workout longer and longer. So last Friday (10/03/2014) I wanted to do a preview of the program for myself, just so I would have an expectation of how I would feel when I did it. So I took a couple of puffs off my inhaler and went out to do the program. It was a disaster. Within the first run period my calves were burning and my shins were killing me. I think I only made it through 5 run periods before I couldn’t do any more, and to be honest of those 5 run periods I think I maybe only completed the first, I quit early on the other 4.

Have to admit, I was disappointed. So I did what I do and did some research for ‘beginning’ runners. Once again big disappointment. Some people’s advice for beginning runners were ‘go out and run for 5 minutes, see how you feel.’ 5 MINUTES!!! I couldn’t get through 60 seconds. I subscribe to mapmyfitness and on their Couch to 5k program; the first thing it has you do is run 10 minutes. 10 MINUTES!!! What the crap! Most of the information I found about beginning to run was a lot like that. These are NOT beginning runs!

I did see some common threads on some of the sites though. One of them is that you should be able to carry on a conversation when you are jogging. Could it be that even though at my fastest ‘run’ I was only doing about a 14-15 minute mile (and was averaging probably around a 16-17 minute mile for the runs) I was just going too fast for what my body could handle? As it turned out the answer was yes. I slowed down and was able to complete the entire C25k week 1 day 1 program. So, if there are people out there like me, and running is killing you and everywhere you look people are saying you go run 5 or 10 minutes and you can’t do 30 seconds, slow down.

On one of those sites I looked at (I cannot remember which one) there was one of those inspirational posters. It had a picture of a fat guy chugging along on a track, his belly hanging out of his shirt and sweat pouring off him. The caption read, ‘No matter how slow you are going, you are still lapping the guy on the couch.’ I am taking that to heart.

Replies

• wulfax
    wulfax Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Program: C25k Week 1 Day 1
    Date: 10/07/2014
    Start time: 6:40 pm

Goals for this run:
    • Run and walk with head up, not down
    • Keep arms from crossing over chest, elbows at 90 degrees
    • Keep comfortable ‘talking’ pace
    • Complete run portions of program

Distance: 3.14 miles
    Duration: 58:58
    Ave Pace: 18:45
    Fastest run 10th of a mile: 16:34

Overall I felt good, I completed the C25k program at about 1.8 miles, but continued to walk for the rest of the 3.14 miles. I did jog once afterward for about 60 seconds when I was trying to get out of someone’s way (I got out of the way in a few seconds but decided to jog for 60) and my time on that one was 12:27, but that is an aberration. I am looking for total time here, not a split time.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure which C25K program you are doing (because there are many), but none that I know of have an hour duration. Try the Zen Labs version. It's a half hour workout. Going for an hour at a time isn't a good idea as a beginner. It's just going to burn you out.
  • wulfax
    Options
    I am using the one from Zen Labs. The program itself is only 30 minutes but I complete the rest of the 3.1 at a walk. The walking part is not bad for me. Since I started walking in early September I average about 2.3 miles a day, started with only walking about 15 minutes then worked my way up.

I only plan on doing the C25k 3 times a week, Tuesday, Thursday, and then Saturday.
  • georgiaTRIs
    georgiaTRIs Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    wulfax wrote: »
    Yesterday (10/07/2014) I started the C25k program and I wanted to make a series of posts detailing this journey (I will also post it in my blog, but I hope what I have to say here will help someone) because prior to my ‘run’ yesterday I was feeling very discouraged. But first, a little background to put some things in perspective.

I turn 40 next month and have been overweight for about 17 years, from about the age of 23. I spent from age 18 to 28 in the US Navy. At my most fit, around age 21, I weighed 174 lbs. and had about 9% body fat (by Navy measurements). When I was 23 I was in an accident that resulted in my lungs being damaged and I went from full 100% capacity to about 40%. Because of the damage to my lungs I did not stay as active as I had been (but kept taking in the same calories) and I was also put on medication that contributed to my weight gain. At my heaviest, around 2001 or so, I weighed 332 lbs. (had depression issues, in a bad marriage). Eventually I ended up losing weight (not that I was trying, even with my sedentary lifestyle my body was not meant to be that heavy) and by Jan 2013 I weighed 290 lbs. (so 12 years to lose 42 lbs.). Then in June 2013 I moved from the Seattle area to the Phoenix area and just due to the heat and a (slightly) more active lifestyle I dropped another 20 lbs. and when I made a conscious decision to try to lose weight on Sep 1st 2014 I weighed 270.2 lbs.. I now weigh 255.

Another important piece of my background is that I **NOT** a long distance runner and never have been. In my opinion long distance is anything over 100 meters. Going back as far as I can remember I have never been a distance runner. In 9th grade I ran 1.5 miles in 9:40 (in gym class), but I would run 100 meters then walk a bit, repeat. The one and only time that I ran a complete distance was to graduate from boot camp, and I ran 1.5 miles in about 9.5 minutes or so (we were not allowed to walk). I did 10 PRTs in the Navy, and in every single one I would run, walk, run, walk, and repeat. I was always a good speed runner, in 11th grade I did the 100 meters in 11 seconds, not a world record or anything, but not too bad (in my opinion at least).

When I first decided to lose weight I decided that I would get my calorie intake under control before I worked on my calorie burn. So from Sep 1st to Sep 8th I concentrated on my diet. Then starting September 9th I started walking. My first week I walked 8.87 miles (only 5 days that week), the next week 16.9, then 13 miles, then last week I walked 16.6 miles. Originally I decided that I wanted to get my weight under 240 lbs. before I started running (I didn’t want to hurt my joints or my feet). But when I was out there walking and listening to my music, a song would come on, it would pump me up, and I would want to run. So I decided, screw it, I will try to run.

The above background is to lay the foundation to why I was disappointed and/or discouraged before starting the C25k program. When I started looking around for some type of running program a few weeks ago I found C25k and I thought it was awesome because it catered to how I used to run (the run then walk program) but just worked on getting the running portion of the workout longer and longer. So last Friday (10/03/2014) I wanted to do a preview of the program for myself, just so I would have an expectation of how I would feel when I did it. So I took a couple of puffs off my inhaler and went out to do the program. It was a disaster. Within the first run period my calves were burning and my shins were killing me. I think I only made it through 5 run periods before I couldn’t do any more, and to be honest of those 5 run periods I think I maybe only completed the first, I quit early on the other 4.

Have to admit, I was disappointed. So I did what I do and did some research for ‘beginning’ runners. Once again big disappointment. Some people’s advice for beginning runners were ‘go out and run for 5 minutes, see how you feel.’ 5 MINUTES!!! I couldn’t get through 60 seconds. I subscribe to mapmyfitness and on their Couch to 5k program; the first thing it has you do is run 10 minutes. 10 MINUTES!!! What the crap! Most of the information I found about beginning to run was a lot like that. These are NOT beginning runs!

I did see some common threads on some of the sites though. One of them is that you should be able to carry on a conversation when you are jogging. Could it be that even though at my fastest ‘run’ I was only doing about a 14-15 minute mile (and was averaging probably around a 16-17 minute mile for the runs) I was just going too fast for what my body could handle? As it turned out the answer was yes. I slowed down and was able to complete the entire C25k week 1 day 1 program. So, if there are people out there like me, and running is killing you and everywhere you look people are saying you go run 5 or 10 minutes and you can’t do 30 seconds, slow down.

On one of those sites I looked at (I cannot remember which one) there was one of those inspirational posters. It had a picture of a fat guy chugging along on a track, his belly hanging out of his shirt and sweat pouring off him. The caption read, ‘No matter how slow you are going, you are still lapping the guy on the couch.’ I am taking that to heart.

• georgiaTRIs
    georgiaTRIs Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    you are using a great program. It takes you through the walk/jog/run phases. Great blog. I started being overweight in my 40's and now love to run and bike. Looking forward to great messages from you. Good luck with the running. You will get to love it -- I promise
  • wulfax
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Program: C25k Week 1 Day 2
    Date: 10/09/2014
    Start time: 7:22 pm

Goals:

Distance: 3.1 miles
    Duration: 54:59
    Change from last attempt: 3:59
    Change from Week 1, Day 1: 3:59
    Ave Pace: 17:45
    Fastest 10th of a mile: 15:55

I did want to add that all these runs are run on sidewalks around my neighborhood, not on a treadmill.

I was a little worried during the first interval of this run. My muscles started to burn and my lungs were distressed a bit after running for about 30 seconds. I had also forgotten to take a few puffs off my inhaler before I started. I may have been going a little too fast in the beginning so I slowed my pace and by the end of the program I felt good. I did a bit of stretching and the 5 minute warm up walk, but I may need to stretch and get warmed up a bit more before starting as I was stronger at the end of the run than at the beginning.

Goal Achievement:
    _____o I don’t seem to have too much of a problem running with my head up, but when I walk I have a tendency to look at the ground. I have noticed that my airway is restricted with my head down, I need to work on keeping my head up, and thus my airflow, when I am walking.
    _____o Because of my weight and body composition, this is sometimes problematic. Naturally, I want to have my arms in the correct position, so once I notice and correct my positioning, I am good for the remainder of the run portion.
    _____o At first, I thought I was a little off, going a bit too fast, but looking at my 1/10 mile split times I stayed around 16:30-17:10 the entire time. I think the difficulty I had was not being properly warmed up and using my inhaler before exercise.
    _____o Although I was worried at the beginning that I wasn’t going to be able to do this, once I was warmed up I completed all portions. I end up losing track of where I am in the series (run/walk/run/etc.) (and I run C25k behind mapmyfitness, and my phone sometimes crashes when I go back and forth between the two). I would like to run faster during the last run portion so I need to do a better job of staying focused and keeping track.

• bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Good for you! You're listening to your body and not taking things too fast. Those are both crucial to success as a beginning runner. Don't be afraid to repeat a day if need be.

If you want more support, the C25K subReddit is very supportive (especially for Reddit!).
  • meg091380
    Options
    I was in the same boat as you. I started week 1 and thought that it was too much for me to even start! The first workout was really tough. I am now on W4D2 (going out after work) and it has become progressively more doable. I now get towards the end and actually smile because I know I am going to make it to the end.

I am also a "looker-upper". I am constantly looking at what can make me better. I have found that my lungs want to huff, puff, and give up before my body. For me the solution was belly breathing. I have previously been breathing in through the nose, out the mouth and with my chest. Apparently all wrong! Breath in and out through an open nose and mouth while breathing in with the belly. Not sure if it will help you at all, but was the most helpful thing I have found.

Keep up the great work!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I'm where you were ie hoping to lose some weight before starting a running program again, but now I'm thinking I may just wait until daylight savings ends (or begins, whatever) because it'll be cooler out. I'm hopefully going to be able to make my own routine using a timer app because I want a longer workout and especially a longer warm up bc I live way at the top of a hill and I want to walk all the way down before starting any running.

I'm a terrible looker-downer so I'll work on that part for sure, great advice! I also learned from my last shot at this to keep your hands loose ie not clenched in a fist so that's something to maybe add to your list if you're clenchy.
  • wulfax
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    I'm where you were ie hoping to lose some weight before starting a running program again, but now I'm thinking I may just wait until daylight savings ends (or begins, whatever) because it'll be cooler out. I'm hopefully going to be able to make my own routine using a timer app because I want a longer workout and especially a longer warm up bc I live way at the top of a hill and I want to walk all the way down before starting any running.

I'm a terrible looker-downer so I'll work on that part for sure, great advice! I also learned from my last shot at this to keep your hands loose ie not clenched in a fist so that's something to maybe add to your list if you're clenchy.

I live in Arizona and you can see that I start my workouts pretty late, the heat is a killer. I usually try to go out at dusk or dark.

Strangly enough I was thinking about the hand clenching last night when I was out. I carry my phone with me (apps for C25k, mapmyfitness, and my music) in one hand and try to alternate it back and forth, but being right handed I feel more comfortable with it in that hand. I think I need to get one of those arm bands that I can put my phone in so I don't have to carry it.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    You caught onto the problem with starting "running". The running is really a jog, especially for people who start without any conditioning under their belt.

If you are running full out during the run phase of the walk-run, you are working too hard.

During the walk, try jogging as slow as possible, hopefully slow enough that you can speak in full sentences during the run portion of your training.

Also search for ThickMcRunFast's post " so you want to start running" for advice for beginners.

I didn't use the C25K program, but it took me a month before I could run (at a 14 min pace likely) a full mile.

• chrisyonker
    chrisyonker Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When I began to get nervous about the "long run" in C25K, I read somewhere...probably here...that you set the pace YOU are comfortable with. It's not a race.

BTW I'm a big guy, 270 lbs/6'2", have horrid memories RE: running in my (also fat) youth ("to the tree over there and back during baseball practice still gives me the willies), athsma etc.

You can do it, and more than likely will learn to love it. Finishing that first 5K (with no onlookers, nobody to congratulate me but myself on my "sad" 14+ minute/mile pace) felt a w e s o m e.
  • amykay9377
    amykay9377 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    First off, just want to throw this out there - YOU ARE A BADASS! Congrats on starting C25k!

Okay, with that out of the way, I just wanted to support you. I completed C25k in July, and it's the BEST program out there (for me). I started it a year or so ago, and quit after the first week because the first week seemed so easy, and then the second week seemed so HARD. Yeah, I was a quitter.

I decided to try again this past spring, and to NOT GIVE UP, no matter how hard it seemed. I told myself that if I needed to repeat a day, I could. I NEVER repeated a day. By running slower than you think you should, you can go longer than you think you can! I am still slow as molasses (no seriously, my first all-run 5k was done in 50 minutes), but I RAN the whole thing!

You got this, just keep on keepin' on and you will go faster and go longer.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    wulfax wrote: »
    Strangly enough I was thinking about the hand clenching last night when I was out. I carry my phone with me (apps for C25k, mapmyfitness, and my music) in one hand and try to alternate it back and forth, but being right handed I feel more comfortable with it in that hand. I think I need to get one of those arm bands that I can put my phone in so I don't have to carry it.

I use a SPIbelt. It's like a small elastic lumbar pack. Because of the elastic, the stuff you put in it doesn't bounce around. It's not waterproof, though, so if you sweat a lot, or run in the rain (what fun!), use a ziplock bag for anything that might be damaged by moisture.
  • wulfax
    Options
    amykay9377 wrote: »
    I am still slow as molasses (no seriously, my first all-run 5k was done in 50 minutes), but I RAN the whole thing!

This is what I am aiming for. Right now, my speed walk is faster than my jog but I know with repitition speed will come. My goal is by December 20th to be able to jog the entire 3.1 miles no matter how long I take.

Why December 20th? I signed my wife, my 2 children, and myself up for a toys-4-tots chairity 5k. I am a goal oriantiated person and this gives me a definitive goal. I have 11 weeks to get this. So if I have to repeat a day or so, I have the cushion.
  • slakkmichael
    Options
    It gets better I promise. I am on W7D1 and just ran 20 minutes straight which is about 18 minutes more than I ever thought I would do LOL. I am 47 and until a year ago was 100 pounds overweight - I am now down to the last 10.

I read some of the post here with people running 10 minute miles and laugh. I am thrilled with my 14 min miles! Woo Hoo.

I am also a goal oriented person so I signed up for a half marathon next May and am trying to train for it. Yes that is insane but it is something I always secretly wanted to do and so I decided why not?

The hardest mental block for me was going to 5 minutes, then I started hating the breaks to a walk so I love the continuous run now. Keep it going it is a fun program!
  • wulfax
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Program: C25k Week 1 Day 3
    Date: 10/12/2014
    Start time: 6:27 pm

Goals:

Duration: 54:54
    Change from last attempt: -00:05
    Change from Week 1, Day 1: -04:04
    Ave Pace: 17:42
    Fastest 10th of a mile: 14:38

Originally I meant to do this on Saturday (the 11th). But my back hurt a little in the morning and by evening I was in a lot of pain and having trouble walking, let alone running. I felt better today and decided that if I still felt good by the evening I would go out.

I remembered to take a few puffs off my inhaler before I went out today and my lungs were happier for it. I noticed that when I am doing the run portions, my shins start to burn, then my calves burn. I wonder if it has to do with my running motion? My upper legs never burn or get fatigued. I assume that as I get in better shape and open up my running motion my upper legs will get more of a workout.

I also did a better job of tracking where I was in the C25k program this time around. When I got to the last run portion, 8 of 8 I believe, I stretched out and ran a bit faster. At the peak my tracker said I was doing a 9:22 min/mile, but over the 10th of a mile it was 10:00. I like the challenge of trying to push myself a bit on the last portion of the run.

Next week it looks like it is 90 seconds of jogging followed by 2 minutes of walking, for a total of 20 minutes. It appears to be 6 portions of each. So the change from week 1 to week 2 is that over the course of 20 minutes it is an increase from 8 minutes to 9 minutes of jogging. It is the little things to keep in mind, so what I will tell myself when I feel the burn next week is that I can do anything for 1 minute, because that is all it is, one more minute.

Goal Achievement:
    o Once again, not too much problem running with my head up, but still walk with my head down.
    o Did pretty good on this one.
    o Did a good job of this.
    o Achieved! Looking forward to week 2 day 1 on Tuesday.
  • agal129
    agal129 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    good luck! I just finished week two of this program. Look forward to your next posts.
  • wulfax
    Options
    Program: C25k Week 2 Day 1
    Date: 10/14/2014
    Start time: 7:40 pm

Goals:

Duration: 55:34
    Change from last attempt: +00:40
    Change from Week 1, Day 1 (58:58): -03:24
    Ave Pace: 17:54
    Fastest 10th of a mile: 15:20

Last week at the end of week 1 I was looking forward to this, I believed I was ready and was therefore excited. Well, on Monday I decided to try to do some other exercises and on Tuesday I was sore. I still went out and did the program and I think I did ok, once I got loosened up the soreness didn’t bother me.

Even though I ran for an extra minute than I did last week, I was slower by 40 seconds. At first I thought that perhaps because of the extra running, my walking portion was slower, but I was actually faster from mile 2 to 3 than I was last week. Generally I am done with the C25k program at about 1.8 – 1.9 miles and walk the last 1.2 – 1.3 miles.

When I went and looked at the splits, I saw that I was actually slower on the run portions. I think I did this subconsciously in that I wanted to complete the run portions so I did not run as fast as I did last week (even though I am slow as it is). I did forget to take a few puffs off my inhaler before I went out again, and I think this also led to me being a bit conservative when I set my pace.

Overall I am pleased with what I have accomplished. I am listening to my body more instead of trying to force things with my willpower. When I completed the C25k portion, I felt like I probably could have done another one. This led me to two conclusions, and I will test them out on Thursday. One is that I can stand to push myself a bit harder in the run portions of the program. The other is that I am just deluding myself and that if I started running again everything would hurt.

For the last run portion I did increase my pace again, although I wasn’t able to keep up the increased pace for the entire 90 seconds, I was close. I also run/jog the last .1 miles of my route, I equate this to seeing the finish line and sprinting towards it. 

Goal Achievement:
    o I actually did pretty good on this one. I have started to walk with my head back and nose in the air as a way of keeping my head up. While my head does slowly start to sink down, I usually catch it before I am staring at the ground. One issue I have with this is that I live in Arizona, and I go out at night, so as I am walking/jogging there are a lot of things moving on the ground and I need to make sure one of them isn’t going to bite me.
    o Did pretty good on this one.
    o Did a good job of this.
    o Achieved! On Thursday I am going to look at increasing my pace with the run portions.
  • agal129
    agal129 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    good job! (*)