Beginning runner using C25k

Options

Replies

• wulfax
    wulfax Posts: 93 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'd like to know from people's experiences though - when did you start noticing a change in a) stamina - or was it too gradual to notice, and b) your body shape/weight?

As far as endurance goes, it has been gradual, but that is the point of this program, to slowly work your way up.

As far as body shape/weight goes, well I look at myself every day so it is gradual as well. I am averaging about 2.5 lbs lost a week since I started seriously using MFP (including 11 lbs lost in 5 1/2 weeks of doing C25k). The scale is only part of the story I know, all my clothes are looser and people that haven't seen in a few months always comment on the fact that I have lost weight.
  • AnnSea97
    Options
    First of all, congratulations on getting out there and getting started! I too have had a similar goal of running and I decided to go with interval training because I felt that fit me best. You're clearly doing amazing but I thought you might be interested in checking this out so forgive me for being nerdy as I over explain myself. lol

I downloaded a podcast on iTunes called PodRunner Intervals. They have a bunch on there (5k, 8k, 10k) and you start very basic and move up. I (obviously) started with the 5k.

Week 1 Starts off with a 5 minute warm up and then you alternate between 60 seconds of running (sprinting I guess not jogging) and 90 seconds of walking and at the end there's a 3 minute cool down. The entire length is 27 minutes. You gradually move up to longer run times but the run/walk times stay fairly proportionate (i.e. you don't go from 60 sec run/90 sec walk to 5 min run/90 sec walk).

Once you get to Week 5 there are 3 different mixes so "week" 5 is actually 3 weeks. There are more weeks after that but that's all I've downloaded so far. =)

There isn't really too much more to it than that. You just run a couple times a week or however much you feel comfortable running--there's an intro to interval training on there that I didn't download that may go over all that. I was just going to use my best judgment if I ran more than once a week.

• LazyButHealthy
    LazyButHealthy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    AnnSea - that sounds really similar too the C25K programme too.
    -
    Good luck!
  • wulfax
    Options
    Program: C25k Week 6 Day 3
    Date: 11/16/2014
    Start time: 6:54 pm

Goals:
    • Complete run portions of program
    • Increase my pace
    • Take advantage of terrain

Distance: 3.1 miles
    Duration: 52:20 (8th out of the 18 I have done)
    Ave Pace: 16:52
    Change from last attempt: +02:52
    Change from W1D1 (Oct 7, 58:58): -06:38
    Change from fastest time (W2D3, Oct 18: 48:28): +03:52

This day was one 22-mintue jog.

Man was it cold! Granted this is AZ, so cold is subjective, but it was cold for me, about 63 F. I bought some gloves this weekend but they did not really seem to help much, will have to put on a thicker pair when I next go out. I think my pace and my focus was tested due to the cold, I know I was much stiffer, especially in my hips. It was also an odd feeling to have sweat running into my eyes and have them hurt because my sweat was so cold.

As far as the run went I did ok, I completed the entire 22 minutes, a new personal best as far as duration of run. So… WHOOHOO! I will be perfectly honest here and state for the record that I do not like to run. It is not really something that I have ever enjoyed doing, especially for distance. I am not going to argue the physical benefits or any of that stuff, just that it is not something that gives me pleasure or is enjoyable. It is something that I go at in almost a workman like manner. People keep saying that it becomes addictive, and that may be true. In general people do not like doing things that they are not good at, and I am not good at distance running, perhaps this will change. I hope so; perhaps that is what keeps me going as well. To be perfectly honest, I get more enjoyment out of writing this synopsis of the run, than out of the actual run.

So I want to say thank you to all of you who read these and comment on them. Around weeks 3-4 sometimes the only thing that kept me from stopping is the fact that I did not want to write on here that I stopped running. I know no one would have held it against me, but it gave me that extra bit of motivation to keep going, and sometimes that little extra is all you need.

On to the embarrassing item from last time. I tried the new underwear and unfortunately they did not work. I will have to go out, get the waist strap, and see how that goes. I do not really want to get compression garments, they are expensive, but I may need to. I have lost enough weight now that I am ‘giggly’ everywhere and it is very uncomfortable/painful when I pick up my pace.

Goal Achievement:
    o Completed all the run portions. Every time is a bit better. I have confidence that I will complete this program.

• Increase my pace
    o My GPS went all screwy and I wasn’t able to look at my splits. I felt slower on this one though, perhaps because of the cold.

o I put this as a goal on my last synopsis but didn’t address it. I run outside and around the neighborhood so I need to take advantage of dips in the terrain more. I notice that sometimes I have a tendency to put on the breaks going downhill instead of using gravity to my advantage. Work in progress.
  • wulfax
    Options
    AnnSea97 wrote: »
    I downloaded a podcast on iTunes called PodRunner Intervals. They have a bunch on there (5k, 8k, 10k) and you start very basic and move up. I (obviously) started with the 5k.

Week 1 Starts off with a 5 minute warm up and then you alternate between 60 seconds of running (sprinting I guess not jogging) and 90 seconds of walking and at the end there's a 3 minute cool down. The entire length is 27 minutes. You gradually move up to longer run times but the run/walk times stay fairly proportionate (i.e. you don't go from 60 sec run/90 sec walk to 5 min run/90 sec walk).

Once you get to Week 5 there are 3 different mixes so "week" 5 is actually 3 weeks. There are more weeks after that but that's all I've downloaded so far. =)

This does seem a lot like the C25k program, a bit different though. I will check it out. I am looking for my next step. I do not want to do anything more than a 5k, so I will not be moving one to longer runs. However, I do want to get a really good pace on the 5k, my eventual goal is to be less than 30 min, which would put my pace at a little better than a 10 min/mile, which I am WAY off at this point.

I have an android phone, so if anyone knows of any pace trainers for the 5k let me know. Some above recomended one, but unfortunatly it is iPhone only.
  • AShannon54
    AShannon54 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    wulfax wrote: »
    Program: C25k Week 6 Day 3
    Date: 11/16/2014

As far as the run went I did ok, I completed the entire 22 minutes, a new personal best as far as duration of run. So… WHOOHOO! I will be perfectly honest here and state for the record that I do not like to run. It is not really something that I have ever enjoyed doing, especially for distance. I am not going to argue the physical benefits or any of that stuff, just that it is not something that gives me pleasure or is enjoyable. It is something that I go at in almost a workman like manner. People keep saying that it becomes addictive, and that may be true. In general people do not like doing things that they are not good at, and I am not good at distance running, perhaps this will change. I hope so; perhaps that is what keeps me going as well. To be perfectly honest, I get more enjoyment out of writing this synopsis of the run, than out of the actual run.

Way to keep at it, running a full 22 minutes is definitely something to be proud of!!! That is a great accomplishment and more than most can do!

Even if you don't turn running into a life long activity, the long term benefits are still there. Once you complete the program, you will always have that satisfaction of know you did it, which is a great confidence booster! Maybe you turn to biking, swimming or kickboxing next... and then every once and awhile go out and run a 5K just for the heck of it. =)
  • MattNorrisUL
    MattNorrisUL Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Great job again. Not sure if we you answered this before but what do you do while running? Do you listen to anything? I'm not much of a running to music person but I highly suggest podcasts. I listen to podcasts by Kevin Smith, the former wrestler Steve Austin, and a few more. It helps those long runs fly by for me. I am not sure I could run without listening to something. It might drive me nuts...especially on a track or somethng haha.
  • wulfax
    Options
    BaltarVK wrote: »
    Great job again. Not sure if we you answered this before but what do you do while running? Do you listen to anything? I'm not much of a running to music person but I highly suggest podcasts. I listen to podcasts by Kevin Smith, the former wrestler Steve Austin, and a few more. It helps those long runs fly by for me. I am not sure I could run without listening to something. It might drive me nuts...especially on a track or somethng haha.

Actually out of all the things I have talked about, I don’t think that I have ever touched on this.

I listen to music. What I have done since W5D2 is edit music together to create my own song. So for instance, when I had to do W5D3 (20 minute run) I put a bunch of the songs I like into an editor, cut out the spaces between songs, some of the intro’s and outro’s of the songs, and then put a good fast-paced song I like at the end of the creation. I mostly listen to Rock (my wife says I run angry). I do have a bit of alternative and rap mixed in as well. I just want stuff that fires me up.

When I first started this, they said that I should jog at a conversational pace. I do not jog with anyone so what I do is breathe the songs while I am jogging, so if I can ‘sing’ them, I know that my pace is ok. If I am having trouble breathing the songs, means I probably need to slow down.

To be honest I have been thinking lately that I may download some podcasts or books. Now that the runs are getting longer, perhaps something that takes my mind off time will be better. Definitely something worth experimenting.

Also, I don’t run on a track, I run around my neighborhood. I used MapMyFitness and plotted out a 3.1 mile trek that takes me up and down the streets of my neighborhood.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Well done...22 minutes is amazing. Congrats on jumping the biggest hurdle C25k has to offer! I wouldn't be surprised if you start enjoying the runs more and more now, that you don't have to focus so much on each big "wall" you have to climb.

Let me know if you want podcast recs, especially science/culture ones. I love me some podcasts lol
  • AnnSea97
    AnnSea97 Posts: 2
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Oh, and as far as needing Android recommendations...I couldn't remember if I said I downloaded my podcast from iTunes (which I did) but I actually have an Android phone. I use iTunes because I happened to already have it on my home computer. It's super easy to move the files (just copy & paste) but if you just want to do it from your phone Podcast Addict for sure has Podcast Runner Intervals available.
  • wulfax
    Options
    Yeah I have iTunes as well, get all my music there. :smiley:

What I was referring to was an app like "5k Pacer" which after you get done with C25k would help you improve your pace. I couldn't find one for Android, the Pacer is iPhone only.
  • wulfax
    Options
    AShannon54 wrote: »
    Even if you don't turn running into a life long activity, the long term benefits are still there. Once you complete the program, you will always have that satisfaction of know you did it, which is a great confidence booster! Maybe you turn to biking, swimming or kickboxing next... and then every once and awhile go out and run a 5K just for the heck of it. =)

I actually plan to stick with this as long as my body will let me. Within the next month I am going to get what I need for my home gym and will start lifting 3 days a week and I still plan to run the 3 days a week.

I know (hope) that once I lose more weight and my body becomes accustomed to the running that it will not be as onerous as it is now.
  • wulfax
    Options
    Program: C25k Week 7 Day 1
    Date: 11/18/2014
    Start time: 7:15 pm

Goals:
    • Increase my pace

Distance: 3.1 miles
    Duration: 53:10 (11th out of the 19 I have done)
    Ave Pace: 17:08
    Change from last attempt: +00:50
    Change from W1D1 (Oct 7, 58:58): -05:48
    Change from fastest time (W2D3, Oct 18: 48:28): +04:42

This day was one 25-mintue jog.

Ok, I am officially not a cold weather runner. It was about 55 degrees and a bit windy when I did this day and all I could think about was how cold my hands were. I had gloves on (two pair actually, a set that let me use the touch screen on my phone and a heavier pair over those) but my fingers were still very cold, really to the point of distraction.

As far as the run goes, I ran the entire 25 minutes but I was pretty slow. While I am not going to push ahead of the program (as far as duration goes) I feel I need to do something about my pace. Part of the reason is that I don't feel that I am running to my potential, I always feel like I have a bit left in the tank when I finish the C25k portion of my day. I feel this is a real mental obstacle for me. When I run the longer portions I think that in my head I believe I will fail, so I go easy on myself so that I don’t risk failure. When I run during warm-ups or after I complete the daily program my pace is much faster (by 2 min/mi at least, sometimes as high as 4-5 min/mi). This is something I will need to explore on my next run. When I first started this program I know I was going too fast and that was the reason I wasn’t able to run/jog 20 seconds let alone a minute. But I have been at this for 7 weeks now and I beleive I may have gone too far the other way now. I think my conditioning has improved to the point where I need to challenge myself more.

I tried listening to a podcast on this day instead of music and it didn’t do too well for me. It may be that I have gotten so used to jogging with music that it throws me off when I don’t have it. The next two days for W7 are still the 25-minute runs, so I will listen to music again.

Goal Achievement:
    o Completed all the run portions. I do feel a bit stiff from the cold and sometimes my mind tells me that I can walk for a bit, but I push through.

• Increase my pace
    o Fail on this one. I didn’t even crack the top 50% of the runs I have done. I need to stop being so conservative on my runs and increase the pace! If the pace becomes too much, I can slow back down and then increase again when i recover. What I may do when I finish the C25k program is start it again from W1D1. However, instead of walk/jog I will do a faster pace/slower pace interval. Perhaps by doing this I will increase my pace and my cardio fitness, we shall see.

o I am getting a bit better at this, I am trying look for terrain changes and go a bit looser on the downhill and let gravity work for me instead of me working against it.
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Cold hands aren't any fun. For whatever reason my fingers get easily and first run I had on a very cold day my fingers were painful by the end, even with gloves. And as a new runner, I quickly learned that 'running gloves' dont' really help. But when I bought a pair of hands warmers to put in them inside...it made all the difference in the world.

I bought a 10-pack of handwarmers at Walmart for $6 and called it a day.
  • wulfax
    Options
    gabbo34 wrote: »
    I bought a 10-pack of handwarmers at Walmart for $6 and called it a day.

This is what I was thinking about doing as well. Everywher I have read said that you should run with your hands not in fists, but my fingers were so cold I was having to curl them in to my palms for warmth. I would also have to keep flexing them to get the blood flowing. Like I said, very distracting.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say I think you are very inspirational! I never thought I could do something like this. But what if I "just try it on"? I do walk up to 10 miles now and I have felt the feeling of wanting to run but felt I am still too heavy. If you started at 240 well so can I! Being if my body allows!
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    wulfax wrote: »

Firstly congrats on making it this far. Many before you have called it a day much sooner. Even more so that you say you don't really enjoy it.

Secondly I used to be like you. I loved being out on the bike but running was just horrible. I did it because I wanted to do a triathlon so had to. I never thought I would like it. It took a long time(over a year) before I got to the point where I enjoyed it and even then it was because I got to a point where I could go for a gentle run of a more substantial distance and not really feel it. Yes I was a sweaty mess but it wasn't a chore.

Now I fully embrace the pain I get from running and it's that masochistic part of me that pushes me to hurt myself and get better.
  • wulfax
    Options
    If you started at 240 well so can I! Being if my body allows!

I actually started this program when I weighed about 257, I am down to 244 now. It is all about listening to your body. At 244 I still consider myself 64 lbs overweight, at 257 I was 77 lbs over.

All our bodies are different. I have a friend that is 6'1" (1 inch taller than me) but he has a large bone structure and at 244 he would only be about 20-30 lbs overweight (depending on muscle mass).

If you are going to do it, just take it slow. You can always pick up the pace later (as I am trying to do now). However, if you try to do too much too fast you could hurt yourself and not be able to train for days, weeks, or even months and that could totally derail you.

Good luck to you!
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say I think you are very inspirational! I never thought I could do something like this. But what if I "just try it on"? I do walk up to 10 miles now and I have felt the feeling of wanting to run but felt I am still too heavy. If you started at 240 well so can I! Being if my body allows!

I'm 233 and do Ironman and Marathons. I'm nothing special so if I can do it so can you.

Good luck and ignore the bad days. You will have them but tomorrow is always another day!

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Another well done from me. I'm putting off starting, frankly because I'll have to bump up the length of my workouts (and hence my alarm clock) in order to get the same calorie burn that I do from aerobics. But I still love reading about your progress!!