Paleo Diet/Way of Life

Options

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Paleolithic peoples ate lots of food that every paleo poster here would hurl over, but what they did differently was everything after they got out of bed, try that and see if you don't want a burger or a donut because it won't matter, you'll sleep just fine.
  • sheahughes
    sheahughes Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^ very well thought out and written post. Kudos to you and thanks for the 'food for thought' as an Aussie.
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Ignore user steve098, it's a fraudulent account using a stolen picture.

Thank you for that information. I really did not want to waste my time responding so thank you once again.

• LeenaGee
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Thank you Tracy, I also enjoyed reading your post and I just wanted to reassure you that Paleo is not about increasing meat consumption and certainly encourages everyone to eat a wide range of protein and to increase their vegetable and fruit intake.

For me personally, cutting out wheat has been a blessing but I can certainly see what you mean in regards to feeding the world without the use of wheat and grains. It would be an economical disaster.

Please don't get me started on the Gluten Free range as it is just another commercial push. Modern day Paleo when used in a sensible way is just healthy eating, leaving out the foods that effect you personally and avoiding sugars, additives and preservatives.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    Thank you Tracy, I also enjoyed reading your post and I just wanted to reassure you that Paleo is not about increasing meat consumption and certainly encourages everyone to eat a wide range of protein and to increase their vegetable and fruit intake.

For me personally, cutting out wheat has been a blessing but I can certainly see what you mean in regards to feeding the world without the use of wheat and grains. It would be an economical disaster.

Please don't get me started on the Gluten Free range as it is just another commercial push. Modern day Paleo when used in a sensible way is just healthy eating, leaving out the foods that effect you personally and avoiding sugars, additives and preservatives.

I still think it's hilarious when people advertise really dumb things as gluten free. Like "our strawberry and cream dessert is gluten free!". Well no *kitten*. Or rice cereal. Or salads.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options

What we put in our body and on our bodies matter and so for 20 years or more I have followed this theory and received lots of criticism and snide remarks from my friends as I try to eat as close to nature as my budget would allow. I eliminated most processed foods and as many additives as I could years ago and my remarks such as "Coke being poison" never went down well.

Interesting. You don't like criticism and snide remarks from your friends about your diet but you feel free to tell them Coke is poison.

And wonder why it didn't go down well.

Hmmm. ;)

• LeenaGee
    Options
    My friends are exactly that, friends. We comment, exchange views and generally enjoy being together. They never took it as a snide remark and instead researched and found out for themselves. They never drink coke now and as the years have progressed their eating habits have changed. Some have even given up smoking. It may not have gone down well but they were comfortable with our conversation and our friendships endured and strengthened.

• LeenaGee
    edited October 2014
    Options
    syren527 wrote: »
    Thank you all for your advice! I will definitely research it a little more during the week :smiley:

I forgot to mention to Syren, the poor girl that started this thread and whose head must be spinning at the moment, that there is a Paleo/Primal Support Group on this site if you are interested. Lots of interesting things there to help you.

Don't bother with Paleo unless you are prepared to give up wheat and eat more vegetables than a vegetarian. I personally don't follow the ancient Paleo but a more modern version as I think our world has changed so much and we have to change with it.

• paperpudding
    Options
    My friends are exactly that, friends. We comment, exchange views and generally enjoy being together. They never took it as a snide remark and instead researched and found out for themselves. They never drink coke now and as the years have progressed their eating habits have changed. Some have even given up smoking. It may not have gone down well but they were comfortable with our conversation and our friendships endured and strengthened.

That's great then.

But still not getting why their comments about your diet were 'snide remarks' ( your words) but you commenting on their diet was 'exchanging views'

• tracylbrown839
    tracylbrown839 Posts: 84 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @ Leena

Frankly, I think the Swiss are on the right track with their pyramid. (Someone had talked about the American food pyramid and how it is inverted - I think this person was trying to make a case for meat being on the bottom - which is never going to happen.)

With the Swiss Pyramid - water is on the bottom. Then the next level is vegetables - your "green leafies" are here (but not all veggies) and fruit. So, they are recommending a plant based diet (and I agree with you, when really followed correctly, Paleo is or should be a plant based diet, first - it's name is actually not to it's credit, and strongly implies that the focus is elsewhere.)

The next level up is starches - So it contains rice, cereals and grains, starchy vegetables like potatoes and yams and beans - so Legumes fit here, too.

Then comes the protein portion - fish, meat, dairy, tofu, eggs, cheese

Then next comes the fats - nuts, oils, butter. (It's high up because of calorie density and a little goes a long way.)

The top of the pyramid is sweets - as just a tiny "delight" from time to time.

I think this is the type of pyramid that is most cutting edge. The nutrition is good. The balance of starches is good - they are not featured on the bottom but nor are they eradicated - they stand in balance and perspective to the other veggies. It's quite environmentally friendly and more sustainable. And each level also provides enough choice to construct a diet in many, many ways - either excluding something like wheat, or excluding something like meat (for vegetarians).

I think it's a pretty well thought out model. Contrary to this model - I have seen ads and people's personal pictures where the plate is simply split in half with meat on one side, fats on the other and a note that says, "it's not that hard, people". This view of Paleo, I think will be just a fad - and, in my mind actually deserves to be called out.

http://www.agroscope.admin.ch/forschung/05832/index.html?lang=en
  • LeenaGee
    Options
    You are right Tracy, it is an interesting pyramid. Does ours even have water on it?
    My guess would be with Paleo, water at the bottom followed by vegetables, meat, fruit, oils and nuts at the top. I know in one of the recent book I read it had a chapter titled "You're not doing Paleo right unless you're eating more vegetables than a vegetarian."
  • LeenaGee
    edited October 2014
    Options
    [/quote] But still not getting why their comments about your diet were 'snide remarks' ( your words) but you commenting on their diet was 'exchanging views' [/quote]

Have no idea Paperpudding, perhaps I have more insecurities than I thought I had. :)

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    You are right Tracy, it is an interesting pyramid. Does ours even have water on it?
    My guess would be with Paleo, water at the bottom followed by vegetables, meat, fruit, oils and nuts at the top. I know in one of the recent book I read it had a chapter titled "You're not doing Paleo right unless you're eating more vegetables than a vegetarian."

if you are not doing paleo, then you are doing it right...
  • tracylbrown839
    tracylbrown839 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    To be fair - I do believe that most modern diets recommended by nutritionists and health professionals believe that "eating fresh food" or "real food" is very important and that highly processed foods are not very good for you, often containing, additives, extra sugar etc. etc.
    -
    So, the idea of eating "whole foods" is certainly not restricted to a Paleo lifestyle but rather is featured in most modern "named" diets that are focusing on promoting good health and proper weight management. Paleo does not have a lock on that.

With that in mind, here is a super interesting article from Scientific American that really serves to highly how complex the digestion process is, and in my mind, also highlights that "over-processed / fast foods" are really something that we should be avoiding - no matter what name or style of diet we choose.

It's titled "Why calorie counts are all wrong" and it tries to provide a glimpse of how extremely complex our bodies and the process of digestion really is.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/science-reveals-why-calorie-counts-are-all-wrong/

It's "slightly" off topic - but still speaks to the op's desire for general advice on how to fashion a diet style for herself - and there is no doubt - the first thing to ditch is highly processed foods with little to no nutritional value and often, high calorie content that is "easily digestible".

• LeenaGee
    Options
    But still not getting why their comments about your diet were 'snide remarks' ( your words) but you commenting on their diet was 'exchanging views' [/quote]

Have no idea Paperpudding, perhaps I have more insecurities than I thought I had. :)

[/quote]

I asked my friend last night if she remembered how I used to tell her years ago "Coke was poison" and she said "Sure I do, I listened to you and cut down my Coke and just added more Bourbon!" :D

• paperpudding
    Options
    But still not getting why their comments about your diet were 'snide remarks' ( your words) but you commenting on their diet was 'exchanging views'

[/quote]

I asked my friend last night if she remembered how I used to tell her years ago "Coke was poison" and she said "Sure I do, I listened to you and cut down my Coke and just added more Bourbon!" :D

[/quote]

Haha - clever answer B)

I like your friend's logic <3

• vgnfarmer
    vgnfarmer Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I love the Primal Blueprint Podcast. Primal fits better with my lifestyle
  • TanyaMarlee
    TanyaMarlee Posts: 5 Member
    Options
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    steve098 wrote: »
    If all the nutritionists and dietitians took a five-year vacation, the world would not know the difference.

Is that being cruel?

Ignore this poster. Known fraudulent account using a stolen profile picture. :)