Please flag the spam !

Options

Replies

• minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Yes a proactive solution like auto moderating new users or requiring human validation (catch a etc) would be good.

In the absence of same at least 5 of us can now zap the nonsense from clogging up the forums.

@Yarwell , Can you list the "5 of us", if you know the names, so that we can help direct them to spam, if they are not yet alerted to it?
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    minizebu wrote: »
    Yes a proactive solution like auto moderating new users or requiring human validation (catch a etc) would be good.

In the absence of same at least 5 of us can now zap the nonsense from clogging up the forums.

@Yarwell , Can you list the "5 of us", if you know the names, so that we can help direct them to spam, if they are not yet alerted to it?

I believe yarwell means 5 members in general on MFP ... anyone is able to flag once and then who ever comes along flags etc. In the past members were not able to flag for spam. I believe that's what he meant. :)

I'm around, just been busy with flagging and dancing when I get the 5th flag! :D But I do glance at this thread to see if any need flags to close them out.

Good Morning All :)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Correct, any five members can flag a post and it is hidden for moderator review.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    minizebu wrote: »

I believe yarwell means 5 members in general on MFP ... anyone is able to flag once and then who ever comes along flags etc. In the past members were not able to flag for spam. I believe that's what he meant. :)

I'm around, just been busy with flagging and dancing when I get the 5th flag! :D But I do glance at this thread to see if any need flags to close them out.

Good Morning All :)
    Correct, any five members can flag a post and it is hidden for moderator review.

Got it. Of course. It was the wee hours of the morning and I hadn't had any coffee. I wasn't thinking.

But, I thought that I had remembered reading something that Olivia had written mentioning the option of giving some individuals a limited moderator-type status that would allow them to remove spambot accounts, but not have other moderator duties, but again, it was early in the morning. Perhaps I dreamed this whole thing up in my head.

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Tincan, would you please leave this thread? We get that you don't want to flag spam and that's your choice. No one is forcing you to do anything. However, your negativity and dare I say almost hostility toward other members who do, is really not appreciated. I was raised to help others, not put them down for trying to help. ;)

For those that do want to help, this one needs 2 more:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10221324/you-can-save-lots-of-money-and-time#latest

No, thank you. I would prefer to stay and continue a conversation on the merits of this approach. As this is an open forum and I am on topic with no violation of the TOS, I believe I will stay.

Disagreement is not hostility. I've not been hostile to anyone in here, but if any of you have taken it as such, I apologize. It was not my intent. My issue is with MFP, not the members who are helping, and I believe I have consistenly directed my criticisms of this process towards the admins and development team (not even the mods).
  • tincanonastring
    edited July 2015
    Options

In the presence of same, MFP has no motivation to be proactive.

They didn't achieve much when they did have what you perceive as "motivation" prior to the introduction of the flagging system.

I guess it's a bit like litter on the street - you can pick it up or sit and moan that there isn't a system for doing so.

So, you're saying their solution was to implement a flagging system so users could take care of the problem? That's kind of the opposite of what they were going for, right?

You're using a false analogy there. A city/town government has no means to take away a citizen's ability to throw trash on the ground. An effective development team can design a system in which spambots are unable to post. See the difference?
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    I can't even keep spam out of my email with spam filters. Not quite sure what people are expecting, but I'm more than happy to help when I can.

It's a bit different. Plus, you don't develop software for a living, do you?
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    I can't even keep spam out of my email with spam filters. Not quite sure what people are expecting, but I'm more than happy to help when I can.

Not even close, lol. I just trust that they are doing their best and working on a solution. Whatever they come up with may end up having bugs of it's own, or it may just not be any more effective than what we have. I'm not holding my breath and I'm not complaining. It's the Internet. It's a free forum. In my opinion, a certain amount of spam posts and undesirable people are going to get in no matter what happens. So, I just go with the flow, accept that it is what it is, and help where I can. I just don't see that it's worth getting all riled up over.

I completely get that, and it's a reasonable position. I'm not riled, but I see how my posts would make it seem so. Everyone is, of course, free to flag or not flag as they see fit. I'm simply pointing out an unintended consequence to the user group assisting in anti-spam efforts, i.e. MFP having no real incentive to provide a better solution.

I've been on other forums and have seen much lower rates of spam posting because those boards properly block the spambots from actually posting.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    This reminds me we haven't got the user blocking feature back.
  • Hearts_2015
    Options

too funny! I was just going to type this very same thing in! LOL
  • tincanonastring
    Options

Yeah, it's awesome to avoid dissenting opinions! I love that!
  • Hearts_2015
    Options

Not even close, lol. I just trust that they are doing their best and working on a solution. Whatever they come up with may end up having bugs of it's own, or it may just not be any more effective than what we have. I'm not holding my breath and I'm not complaining. It's the Internet. It's a free forum. In my opinion, a certain amount of spam posts and undesirable people are going to get in no matter what happens. So, I just go with the flow, accept that it is what it is, and help where I can. I just don't see that it's worth getting all riled up over.

@HappyCampr1 Love your outlook! Seeing the positives in a situation makes all the difference in the world. <3
  • tincanonastring
    Options

Yeah, it's awesome to avoid dissenting opinions! I love that!

like a dog with a bone

Sorry, thought you understood how conversations worked. Good to know you're trolling, though.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I regret having ever posted in this thread. Not only did I pick up 9 irony!flags in the early pages of it (which is why I flounced from it the first time), but now I wake up every morning to 15-30 notifications from it with the amount of spam being posted overnight in my timezone.

It is frustrating to see the amount of spam happening here. We're told in this thread that improvements are coming and we're told in the forum feedback thread that no improvements are coming until the updates promised 10 months ago come through. As an outsider, it sure seems like we'll be waiting another 10 months for the next set of improvements.

And when someone voices that frustration you guys add yet more notifications by trying to kick him out of a thread when you know full well that's not how these forums work (honestly, how many times have you seen newbies try that to no avail around here?).

This feels like trolling at its finest, at this point.
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    I regret having ever posted in this thread. Not only did I pick up 9 irony!flags in the early pages of it (which is why I flounced from it the first time), but now I wake up every morning to 15-30 notifications from it with the amount of spam being posted overnight in my timezone.

It is frustrating to see the amount of spam happening here. We're told in this thread that improvements are coming and we're told in the forum feedback thread that no improvements are coming until the updates promised 10 months ago come through. As an outsider, it sure seems like we'll be waiting another 10 months for the next set of improvements.

And when someone voices that frustration you guys add yet more notifications by trying to kick him out of a thread when you know full well that's not how these forums work (honestly, how many times have you seen newbies try that to no avail around here?).

I thought I was the only one! I felt like I was taking crazy pills!

I can't believe you've kept the notifications for this thread active for so long! You must have the patience of a saint!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

I can't believe you've kept the notifications for this thread active for so long! You must have the patience of a saint!

Not at all! I keep the option on to notify me if anything I've posted in gets a response. So for me, turning off notifications for this thread means losing notifications for everything else. I'm too lazy to go back and find everything I want to save to star it, so I have to accept the notifications on this thread as part of the deal.

• Hearts_2015
    Options

Not at all! I keep the option on to notify me if anything I've posted in gets a response. So for me, turning off notifications for this thread means losing notifications for everything else. I'm too lazy to go back and find everything I want to save to star it, so I have to accept the notifications on this thread as part of the deal.

@diannethegeek You can request the mods remove you from convo's on the boards so you won't get the notifications for those particular ones anymore. Someone may post in chitchat and forever get notifications, if you ask a mod to remove you posts from this thread or any other that should free you from continued notifications. I've done that several times. It's like a sense of freedom not waking up to 58 notifications each day on whatever topic I posted in.

So there is a way out of threads... Cheers and Good Luck :) Oh Also if you speak to a mod about getting the flags removed from your account if you got them in here simply for helping out as some like to spam the cleaners. lol
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Not even one spam link?

Forum feedback thread on the Suggestions site, for anyone who gives a hoot about the repeated requests from the flaggers to keep this a spam flagging thread. Forum Admin Olivia reads it and responds and updates there regularly:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10063124/mfp-forum-feedback/p1