Don't forget to get your Flu Shot!

Options
12346

Replies

  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    salladeve wrote: »
    I'll never get another flu shot! I got one last Thursday morning and by Thurs evening I was broke out all over with terrible hives. My face arms & chest are covered in raised painful hives, and now I'm taking prednisone to try to counteract the reaction.

    Come to find out thimerosal is a preservative in the flu shot I got.

    From the CDC FAQ "Although no evidence suggests that there are safety concerns with thimerosal, vaccine manufacturers have stopped using it as a precautionary measure.The only vaccine that still includes thimerosal as a preservative is the multi-dose inactivated influenza vaccine. There are other formulations of flu vaccine that do not include thimerosal. "

    WARNING if you have a sensitivity to this preservative, I found out the hard way.

    Can I ask what country you are in?

    again, because in Australia we do not use multi dose flu vaccines - all flu vaccines are single use only.
    But, just like we dont have nasal spray vaccines here, they may be in other places.

    Anyway, like PP said and your own quote says, there are other formulations without thimerosal so why dont you just have one of them?



    I live in the US. Yes I have found that there are other formulations, but I'm just guessing that the preservative is the problem, dr would not confirm or deny. Nothing other different that day or even days prior to the shot, so I draw my own conclusions. Do I want to do this again next year just to confirm.... Hell no. I'll take my chances with the flu.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    salladeve wrote: »
    I'll never get another flu shot! I got one last Thursday morning and by Thurs evening I was broke out all over with terrible hives. My face arms & chest are covered in raised painful hives, and now I'm taking prednisone to try to counteract the reaction.

    Come to find out thimerosal is a preservative in the flu shot I got.

    From the CDC FAQ "Although no evidence suggests that there are safety concerns with thimerosal, vaccine manufacturers have stopped using it as a precautionary measure.The only vaccine that still includes thimerosal as a preservative is the multi-dose inactivated influenza vaccine. There are other formulations of flu vaccine that do not include thimerosal. "

    WARNING if you have a sensitivity to this preservative, I found out the hard way.

    Can I ask what country you are in?

    again, because in Australia we do not use multi dose flu vaccines - all flu vaccines are single use only.
    But, just like we dont have nasal spray vaccines here, they may be in other places.

    Anyway, like PP said and your own quote says, there are other formulations without thimerosal so why dont you just have one of them?

    Most adults in the US will get the single dose shot. The multi-dose version is usually for those that have a medical condition requiring them to get several lower dose versions of the shot over a period of time because they have an increased risk of reaction.
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Had mine today--free at work. I hate getting them. I must have minor allergic reactions to them...I always have flu-like symptoms for a week or so afterwards (yes, I understand it's not a live virus so I don't actually have the flu). Even with the reaction, I would rather keep my family safe, so I take the precautions!
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    FYI. If you are sick for 2 days that is not the flu. Thats a bad cold or another virus. Influenza will knock you out for a week. The flu shot is super important for anyone coming into contact with those who are imuno compromized or cannot get the shot.
    I get it every year. I do my part to help make society healthier. Also I cannot afford to miss a week of work...so theres that.
  • KandGRanch
    KandGRanch Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I work from home, and my only outing is to the feed store. If you're immunocompromised, please refrain from buying anything from me so as not to risk contamination. Otherwise, it is not my responsibility to keep you healthy. In return, I will do my part by staying home if I get sick (which is where the stupid problem comes from-all the dingbats who are vomiting, achy, and running a 102+ fever and say, "But I think i'll go to walmart.")
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Never had the shot, never plan to get one :-) Never had the flu either. I'll take my chances and let my immune system do it's job.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    last time I had the flu shot I had an alergic reaction and was in bed for 2 weeks...I'll pass =)

  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Remus42 wrote: »
    No you are exercising your right to choose to have a shot or not. The flu shot is only good if they happened to get the correct strain this year. If not, you'll get the flu anyway. Not to mention that multi-dose vials of the flu vaccine contain small amounts of mercury used to keep it from developing bacteria. On top of that a small percent of those who get the flu shot can develop Guillain-Barré syndrome.
    I am neither for or against flu shots. It is as far as I am concerned a choice that adults should be able to make on there own. Now if on the other hand it was 99.9% accurate and prevented the disease, ie the measles vaccine, then I would be all for it. But until that time I feel it is a choice.

    http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/guillainbarre.htm

    http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/thimerosal.htm

    http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/vaccineeffect.htm

    My mom developed Guillain-Barré syndrome after a flu shot. She was paralyzed for two months. Still has a little numbness in her toes and occasional nerve pain.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    salladeve wrote: »
    I'll never get another flu shot! I got one last Thursday morning and by Thurs evening I was broke out all over with terrible hives. My face arms & chest are covered in raised painful hives, and now I'm taking prednisone to try to counteract the reaction.

    Come to find out thimerosal is a preservative in the flu shot I got.

    From the CDC FAQ "Although no evidence suggests that there are safety concerns with thimerosal, vaccine manufacturers have stopped using it as a precautionary measure.The only vaccine that still includes thimerosal as a preservative is the multi-dose inactivated influenza vaccine. There are other formulations of flu vaccine that do not include thimerosal. "

    WARNING if you have a sensitivity to this preservative, I found out the hard way.

    Can I ask what country you are in?

    again, because in Australia we do not use multi dose flu vaccines - all flu vaccines are single use only.
    But, just like we dont have nasal spray vaccines here, they may be in other places.

    Anyway, like PP said and your own quote says, there are other formulations without thimerosal so why dont you just have one of them?

    Most adults in the US will get the single dose shot. The multi-dose version is usually for those that have a medical condition requiring them to get several lower dose versions of the shot over a period of time because they have an increased risk of reaction.

    No, thats not what is meant by single dose and multi dose vaccines.

    children under 9 here have 2 doses too and there is a half strength dose for children under 3 and I believe a very few adults in specific risk groups - but they still get each shot via a single use dose, not a multi dose vial.

    Multi dose vials are used for very few things, certainly no vaccines here.
    But things like insulin where one draws several doses out of the one vial - thats what is meant by multi dose.

  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Got mine!
  • Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    KandGRanch wrote: »
    I work from home, and my only outing is to the feed store. If you're immunocompromised, please refrain from buying anything from me so as not to risk contamination. Otherwise, it is not my responsibility to keep you healthy. In return, I will do my part by staying home if I get sick (which is where the stupid problem comes from-all the dingbats who are vomiting, achy, and running a 102+ fever and say, "But I think i'll go to walmart.")

    You can have it, be asymptomatic and contagious.

  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    I haven't had the flu in many many many many.. Blood moons.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,276 Member
    Options
    I work at a hospital, am not getting a flu shot, never will, and am not sorry about it. *coughs all over everyone*
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Cait_Sidhe wrote: »
    I have a terrible phobia of needles. Hyperventaliating and all. I'd rather get the flu. SOO.. no thanks. :pensive:

    Just FYI, most influenza vaccines are a nasal spray.

    really???

    Not in Australia they aren't - all influenza vaccines here are an injection.

    Have not heard of nasal spray flu vaccines - afaik, no vaccines for anything are yet available as nasal sprays. I certainly havent come across any in many years of working in immunisation.

    Please let us know which country you are in, where there are nasal spray vaccines.

    I'm in the UK and nasal spray vaccines are being offered to 4 yr olds, and maybe some other sections of the population (can't remember exactly which people are being recommended them and which are recommended the injections)

    they're definitely real.
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    http://www.vox.com/2014/11/16/7223443/causes-death-america

    Flu is killing 6 times more people now (with the vaccine) than in 1900 (with no vaccine) according to this graph which has no explanation behind it that I found on www.vox.com. Let the conspiracy theories begin!
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    No thanks! :) It flares my chronic illness badly.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    Cait_Sidhe wrote: »
    I have a terrible phobia of needles. Hyperventaliating and all. I'd rather get the flu. SOO.. no thanks. :pensive:

    Just FYI, most influenza vaccines are a nasal spray.

    really???

    Not in Australia they aren't - all influenza vaccines here are an injection.

    Have not heard of nasal spray flu vaccines - afaik, no vaccines for anything are yet available as nasal sprays. I certainly havent come across any in many years of working in immunisation.

    Please let us know which country you are in, where there are nasal spray vaccines.

    I'm in the UK and nasal spray vaccines are being offered to 4 yr olds, and maybe some other sections of the population (can't remember exactly which people are being recommended them and which are recommended the injections)

    they're definitely real.

    Yes, so I found out earlier in the thread.

    they are real - but they are not available in Australia.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options
    No thanks, I am not putting that garbage inside my body. Do you have a quota to fill?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    darkrose20 wrote: »
    http://www.vox.com/2014/11/16/7223443/causes-death-america

    Flu is killing 6 times more people now (with the vaccine) than in 1900 (with no vaccine) according to this graph which has no explanation behind it that I found on www.vox.com. Let the conspiracy theories begin!

    That is odd - the graph I saw at that link shows that for pneumonia or influenza: in 1900, there were 202.2 deaths per 100,000 and 16.2 deaths per 100,000 in 2010.

    That is actually a death rate from pneumonia or influeza of more than 12 times higher in 1900 than in 2010... and vaccines were available in 2010.

    I think you mis-read the graph.