I'm underweight but my stomach looks big?

Options
12346»

Replies

• Ellenr07
    Ellenr07 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem of a sticky out tummy, although I wouldn't even consider yours to be sticking out! I've found that doing various exercises that strengthen my core has improved both my posture and shape and while I haven't really changed my weight or measurements the difference is noticeable.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    2 tablespoons grinded of papaya seeds & drink

:huh:
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I have this exact problem because my lower back is really in sad shape and I have a "sway back" or really bad concave shape in my lower back where my stomach pooches out. It's not that the stomach is big it's that it is sticking out because your lower back is so curved. I work daily on trying to remind myself to work on posture. I'm also working on core and lower back strengthening so that I don't have such horrible slouching tendencies. I've always had lousy posture.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    2 tablespoons grinded of papaya seeds & drink

buut.... but

why?
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    NIOCE!!!!

congrats on the recovery- that's a hell of a surgery!!!

quick edit- that horizontal suture reminds me of the episode of Criminal Minds where the guy was trying to graft a leg to someone else's leg. <shiver> creepy LOL

I remeber that episode!

Thanks for the congrats. The horizontal wound was where my leg popped open like an overripe melon. The knee-cap incision(where the put the tibial nail in), the two on my ankle (2 screws) and the one up near the bend of my knee(two screws) were surgical.

I refer to it semi-jokingly as my bionic leg, the scarring is awesome and I set off metal detectors.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    not going to lie....

ew- so gross.

but yay on badass scars and setting off metal detectors.
    my dad likes to do that- with his titanium plate in his face.
  • Saxonvoter
    Saxonvoter Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    First of all, good to know you're doing better! Lifting is the way to go, muscle can make anyone looks bit firmer. But I don't think you even have "a big stomach" in that picture, it just looks like you're slim and you have internal organs... Haha, jk. I really don't think you have anything to worry about. :)

Anyway, if you feel like you feel too full and can't squeeze in the needed calories, try cooking some foods in a way that adds some extra calories from fat/choosing the normal fat option instead of the low fat! According to latest research, fat isn't all that dangerous, and most foods are "low-fat", which isn't really healthy in the long run either. It can add some extra calories, yet you won't feel that much fuller than if you add a meal or more food.
  • dallasdebbie
    dallasdebbie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    yes I agree weight training build muscle .
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Hey! We're the same size - 5'8, and my weight fluctuates between 125-140 lbs. I don't think you have image issues, I understand exactly what you are talking about. Your stomach is too soft to hold itself flat.

I have been as thin as 105 lbs and I still had the same issue you have now. The problem is that to get a "tucked in" stomach, you need to have strong ab muscles. You are currently what they call "skinny fat". You don't have enough muscle and you can't diet your way into it. You have to work out!

I am currently 139 lbs but for the first time in my life, I have abs. I never did before, even at my lowest weight. I achieved this by working out 3-5 days a week with a trainer and lifting heavy.

At this point, you want to actually put on weight. MUSCLE weight, not fat, of course. Work out your entire body, especially legs and core. Your legs are such large muscles that building them up takes a lot of calories to maintain. It pretty much sucks extra fat off your stomach - once you build up some abs to show! Stop focusing so much on the number, as that won't get you to where you want to be. Focus on body fat percentage instead of the scale.

A perfect example is my cousin, who is a body builder. She is 5'4, 145 lbs, and her stomach is TINY, rock hard, and tucked in. You would never expect that just by looking at the numbers. Keep that in mind!

Good luck!
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    holly55555 wrote: »
    Hey! We're the same size - 5'8, and my weight fluctuates between 125-140 lbs. I don't think you have image issues, I understand exactly what you are talking about. Your stomach is too soft to hold itself flat.

I have been as thin as 105 lbs and I still had the same issue you have now. The problem is that to get a "tucked in" stomach, you need to have strong ab muscles. You are currently what they call "skinny fat". You don't have enough muscle and you can't diet your way into it. You have to work out!

I am currently 139 lbs but for the first time in my life, I have abs. I never did before, even at my lowest weight. I achieved this by working out 3-5 days a week with a trainer and lifting heavy.

At this point, you want to actually put on weight. MUSCLE weight, not fat, of course. Work out your entire body, especially legs and core. Your legs are such large muscles that building them up takes a lot of calories to maintain. It pretty much sucks extra fat off your stomach - once you build up some abs to show! Stop focusing so much on the number, as that won't get you to where you want to be. Focus on body fat percentage instead of the scale.

A perfect example is my cousin, who is a body builder. She is 5'4, 145 lbs, and her stomach is TINY, rock hard, and tucked in. You would never expect that just by looking at the numbers. Keep that in mind!

Good luck!

calling someone "skinny-fat" because they don't have perfectly toned abs, but are perfectly healthy and look fine is insulting and ridiculous.
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    If you're eating, you should eat more. You're six pounds minimum under weight. Your stomach does not look big at all. It will extend a bit due to the food you've consumed. That's nothing to worry about. Reset your goals to gain those six pounds and if that is difficult and you continue to lose weight, seek professional help about trying to gain some of those pounds back.