I'm underweight but my stomach looks big?

Options

Replies

• mnricha927
    mnricha927 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am just like you. I am not underweight, but I am small and thin. I don't have stomach fat (well some, but I don't care much), but I do feel like I have a distended stomach every time I eat. I try to always keep in mind that my spine will be happy if I practice better posture and it helps with that strange belly nonsense. You look lovely, though :smile:.
  • ifiwasurvampire
    ifiwasurvampire Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Just remember YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL! You're stomach does not look big or stick out.
  • kk1084
    kk1084 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    First of all, I need to say that I completely understand how you are feeling-- I do think that you might be experiencing some Body Dysmorphia, which I also struggle with. I have dealt with this for YEARS; it lead into my battle with eating and exercise disorders, which I continue to struggle with.

You do NOT have a big stomach AT ALL and you definitely, absolutely, 300% DO look like you weigh 113 lbs, which is positively underweight. At 5'4" and 113 lbs, I am considered a low-average weight. At four inches taller and the same weight, you are well underweight. Please, please, please consider counseling or nutrition education if you are still feeling this way... As someone who has experienced eating disorders and BDD, I cannot stress this more...
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    sarawr66 wrote: »
    Just thought I'd let everyone know I now weight around 118-120 lbs (its been fluctuating a bit) I've been doing lots of weights and I've started drinking protein shakes and I've been doing my damn best to eat more calories. Still only eating around 2100 but some days its more. In any case I HAVE gained weight. But I think I've also gained a bit of fat as well so I'm hoping that with more time and weight training that will tone up as well. :)

Keep up the good work :)

Seems like most new comments are not seeing this update from you!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    eek your belly doesn't look big to me, you know we have organs in there right? building up muscle can help flatten out the look as well as better posture. If you continue your weight lifting, and maybe even up your calories so that you can sustain muscle gain, your abs will begin to show and everything will *appear* more even.
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    you look fine to me and I agree for those who say you need professional help
  • sarawr66
    Options
    JosieRawr wrote: »
    Just thought I'd let everyone know I now weight around 118-120 lbs (its been fluctuating a bit) I've been doing lots of weights and I've started drinking protein shakes and I've been doing my damn best to eat more calories. Still only eating around 2100 but some days its more. In any case I HAVE gained weight. But I think I've also gained a bit of fat as well so I'm hoping that with more time and weight training that will tone up as well. :)

Thanks so much! And yeah I know :(
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    JosieRawr wrote: »

Thanks so much! And yeah I know :(

No one actually reads through all the comments. Definitely keep it up and learn to love the weights; it's my favorite thing, I love being strong!
  • sapnaaaaa
    sapnaaaaa Posts: 3 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Hey! I'm in the same boat as you. I'm at 110lbs but really struggling to eat my total calories. I'm recovering from an eating disorder but I guess I really need to have a look at even higher calorie foods while weight training.

Glad to hear it's working for you.

Thanks to everyone else for the helpful comments...hoping to tighten this stomach soon. :)
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    OP glad to hear you are listening to the folks on here, keep up the eating and lifting!!! :)
  • eatmindfully
    eatmindfully Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I think it's postural as has been mentioned. In our society we tend to push our hips forward. Tuck your hips in and pull your shoulders back for proper posture. Also your butt should stick out a little. So some yoga! You are also underweight so if you want to add muscle you will need to boost your calories.
  • shayetee
    Options
    hi there , i don't think you look underweight but you have a very very flat stomach ! you have nohing to worry about. but if you want to gain weight eat protien foods
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with your stomach.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

Thanks for the update. I was hoping that once you started the weight training you might find it easier to eat more overall cals? Remember that adequate protein intake helps that added weight lean more toward the muscle side than fat. Also adding fats helps you get more cals so make sure you have a balance.
    :D
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    TrainerLB wrote: »
    Hey sweet pea, ignore the idiot haters on here. First off, your body is beautiful and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise. Secondly, if you'd like to change the shape of any body part you need to develop some muscle mass. I recommend increasing your weight training to 3-4xs per week for a beginner and don't be afraid to lift a little heavier. It won't make you get "bulky" but help tone up a trouble spot. Putting weight on your abdominal exercises will really make a difference too. Heavy "russian twists" can really help change the shape of your tummy. Google "weighted abdominal exercises" and see what you think.

Hope that helps. <3

Advice like this is why we can't have anything nice! 'Merica.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,511 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Tilandra wrote: »
    I lost forty pounds over the course of a year, but didn't really realize it because I don't keep a scale in the house.
    Western medicine sucks, but as we get older there are things even diet and exercise can't fix. See a doctor, consult them on your exercise plans, and get tests done to make sure there isn't another cause.

wait- you lost somewhere between 4 and 6 dress sizes and didn't notice you're clothes weren't falling off???

And yeah- the horrors of western medicine- chemo for cancers- and vaccines for polo and tetanus and what not- flue shots- really tragic stuff. Western medicine is the devil.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion on western medicine. Some people prefer a more natural route. :)

yes- you're right- but let's not just assume it's all bad when it saves peoples lives. I can understand wanting to chose other paths- but the reality is western medicine can and will continue to improve our health.

Instead of dying of a simple broken arm- we can save the arm- AND live a full life. It's willfully ignorant to just dismiss it as the deeebbbbiiiillllll

^This. Seven years ago, I broke my tibia/fibula in such a fashion and severity that even -with- modern medicine, 30% of cases like mine result in amputation of the limb. Even 20 or 30 years ago, -if- I'd kept my foot/lower leg, I would have been hospitalized for literally a half year or more with my leg in traction, since even with my surgically implanted titanium nail (which runs the entire length of my tibia and is fixed in place with the equivalent of titanium deck screws) it took over a YEAR for the my tibia to heal to the point where it could have begun to bear weight.

Instead, I was in surgery the morning after, home from the hopital five days after that (I won't lie, it *kitten* sucked), partially weight bearing (on the boot) within 3 weeks of the accident, fully weight bearing (on the boot) at four weeks post-op. I got the boot off on my birthday, after 8 weeks total. I never put it back on, though I had that option. Then I spent 6 weeks in thrice weekly physical therapy, and the better part of the rest of the year adapting and healing the rest of the way (regowing pulverized bone kinda stings).

DSCN1791.jpg

Sorry for the thread hijacking, but my point is this:

All things considered, I much prefer modern Western medicine to the alternative.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    NIOCE!!!!

congrats on the recovery- that's a hell of a surgery!!!

quick edit- that horizontal suture reminds me of the episode of Criminal Minds where the guy was trying to graft a leg to someone else's leg. <shiver> creepy LOL
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Some ballet classes or barre work, yoga, and/or Pilates will help your posture greatly. These programs will also strengthen your core muscles which are contributing to the poor posture.

Second this! You Tube has many great free videos - my fav are Barre3. don't forget to strengthen your back as well. It is amazing how improving posture all day long contributes to 1) feeling great and 2) looking better!
  • MoochieRama
    MoochieRama Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    2 tablespoons grinded of papaya seeds & drink