what pace did you start with when you first started running? be honest!!

Options
13»

Replies

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Right now I do 1.5 miles in 19-20 minutes. I'm going to slowly add more distance to that and attempt to stay in the same 13-14 minute mile average range. I recently did a single mile in 12:12, and then my knees and one hip "locked up" (I'm not even sure how to describe the pain) as soon as I stopped running. So I'm going to take my sweet time and hope that by next year when all the 5k runs are going on that I will be able to do one in about 35 minutes.
  • AntiStrange
    Options
    When I started 2.5 months ago I ran too fast, couldn't do more than a 1.5-2k without stopping/walking. That was probably 9.5-10min/mile pace. I then started doing a bit of research (frustrated that I couldn't run further). I improved my form/breathing and started following the C25K plan. I ran at about 12min/mile pace. My first 5K was 11.5min/mile.

That was a little over a month ago. Now I run between 9.5 and 10.5 min/mile pace. I've also run three 10Ks. First one was 12min/mile pace the last one 11min/mile.

The general rule I followed starting out was the "conversation pace". Every once in a while I would say a full sentence out loud and if I couldn't do it without gasping for air I would slow down.

Once I got a few 5K's under my belt and wanted to improve my pace I would finish my 5K run with a sprint for the last quarter kilometer or so. There are other methods that generally involve sprinting relatively short distances, pushing your body towards its limit. Every time you do that it gets a little bit easier to run a little bit faster.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    When I started, back in 1993, I think I did about a 10-minute mile. At my fastest, in 1995, I could do a 6:45 mile (maybe faster; my running logs from back then are intermittent). I wasn't focused on speed, though, because every time I added any speedwork, I tended to do too much and get injured. Finally I wised up.

I started running again in January with C25K, running about 8:45-9:00 in the running phases. My best mile since then was 7:17.
  • fishcat123
    fishcat123 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've been jogging since high school, so I don't really remember where I started. Now I usually run about a 9-9:30 mile (for ~4 miles), would like to get down to about 8:30 or so but not really focusing on speed. I love running at night but it gets a little more treacherous (curbs, sticks, uneven sidewalks) so I have to go a little slower to make sure not to trip.

If you want to be faster, maybe try running with a friend who normally runs slightly faster than you - so you can push yourself to keep up. Also, maybe mix in some other sources of challenging cardio - I like zumba, fast paced dance, and long, steep hikes. After a month of other challenging cardio, you will likely be pleasantly surprised with how much faster and further you can run.
  • Kargicq
    Kargicq Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    After about ten months of running most days, my 5km time is 70% of what it was when I started, and I can run a 10km race and come in the first half of the runners. I'm very happy with that -- the actual numbers are less important as they're so personal!
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I started out at 12 min mile on a treadmill. Now I can do a mile on the flat ground in about 7:45-8:00 depending on the day. I have only done 5K trail runs up and down a mountain and my race pace is about 9:55 ish.
  • MamaGab92
    MamaGab92 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    DanaHerro wrote: »
    Oooo girl you sound JUST like me!! :)

I was going to say the exact same thing. I could have written the original post myself!
    I started running in February of 2013. I ran more slowly than I walked!! I could walk a 14:30 mile, but could only run around 15-15:30/mile. It was still a running movement though!! The more weight I took off, the faster I got - every 10 lbs seemed to be about a minute or so.

I started officially in June 2014 doing the Couch to 5K program. It has taken me all summer+ and I am finally on the last week of the program. My time tracking includes both the walking warm up and then the running, but my best time so far has been 15:30ish.

I ran a 5K last week. (Honestly I could run 25 minutes, but I couldn't run an entire 5K yet so I walked half of it.) It took me 53:03 to finish the 5K. That shows you how slow I am. Most of the "start" times I've seen posted blow me out of the water and I can't even imagine the faster ones. But I am going to keep plugging along, try to lose some weight, and hope that this time next year I'm running faster.

From what I've read, I don't think our slow times are that unusual. Just keep going and you'll improve over time.
  • sazrina
    sazrina Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    For a 5k I started at around 11.5 min miles and I'm now on 9 - 9.5 min miles after a year of running. Don't worry about your pace at all as long as you are getting some exercise and enjoying yourself. Remind yourself of how many people never even have a go at running!
  • IamOnMywayNow
    IamOnMywayNow Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    My pace is -slow as molasses LOL! I have been training for a Spartan Beast and my straight running pace is about a 10 min mile and with the obstacles I have in the back yard it is about 12 min mile. I am never going to be super fast (short legs) but I do have great endurance:) And that is what I focus on:) I hate running though and I am still waiting for the elusive "runners high".........
  • iheartinsanity
    iheartinsanity Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    13:00 when I started tracking my mileage...which was about 2 months into running. My first full marathon I paced around 10:00 in the beginning, but after the 10K time I slowed back to 13: and some change. I've been running over 5 years now and my average is 8:30-ish. Give it time!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    If you are working on increasing distance, then speed will automatically come. I wouldn't worry about what pace you are going at. The main thing is just stay consistent with what you are doing. Just keep putting your miles in. In time, both your distance and speed will improve.
  • flanabananas
    flanabananas Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As other posters have said, don't worry about your pace yet or compare yourself to others. Just getting out there is half the battle, right?

I've been running for a few years now. On shorter runs (3 miles - 3.5 miles), I usually run about a 10 minute mile. My PR for a 5K Road Race is a pace of 9:03. I ran the last mile at 8:40 and at the end, I wanted to vomit and I was gasping for breath. On longer runs or runs when I'm pushing my son in the jogging stroller, my pace will slow to 11:00 or more. I ran a 10K pushing my son in the stroller and my pace was 11:30. My pace on a recent 10 mile run was over 11:00, too. I was just happy to finish. Funny story, the 10 mile race was also a 20 mile race. The 20 milers just ran the course twice. The guy who won the 20 mile race actually beat me running the 10 miler. He crossed the finish line about 3 seconds before me lol. One thing that definitely helps improve my endurance and speed is to do interval training. You can google all sorts of training plans for it but the gist is this:
    - Warm up (5 minutes, very easy)
    - 3 minutes on. Run at a pace that you could not sustain for much longer than 3 minutes
    - 3 minutes easy. Slow down, catch your breath, but don't go all the way to your warm up pace
    - 3 minutes on
    - 3 minutes easy
    - 3 minutes on
    - 3 minutes easy
    - 3 minutes on
    - Cool down (5 minutes)

This concept is how I went from barely being able to run for 5 minutes to running my first race, which was a 5 mile race in 2010. It's also how I got my endurance back after pregnancy.

Just keep at it, and don't worry about the pace too much. Good luck!
  • bradsbaby1996
    bradsbaby1996 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    My first full mile was 19:10!! I finally got down to 11:20 after 2 months and ran my first 5K race last Saturday in 33:42 which was much better than I thought I could do!! On daily runs I average 11/11:30 mile..
  • altaclip
    altaclip Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Started running earlier this year in April/May.
    Pace was >15 min/mile and I didn't go more than 2-3 miles.
    July pace < 12 min/mi
    Aug pace < 11 min/mi
    Current pace for 5k (3.1 mi) 10:23 min/mi

Working on increasing distance to 10k at reasonable pace.
    Currently about 12.5 min/mi but I have done 5 mi at 11 min/mi.

Agree with others that mentioned mixing it up when training with other cardio, weights, hills, strides (sprints at end of run), etc.

Just when you think you're really improving challenge yourself to something different (i.e. steeper hilly course). It's good to keep challenging yourself.

• PeterStef003
    Options
    I agree with the comments about running at your own pace to begin with. I will add a link to a runners website that will give you some excellent advice and also training plans. The link I'm inserting here is to an article called "Your First Run". From there, you can have a look around the website and discover all that it has to offer. This is where I started my 'running career' and never looked back.

runnersworld.co.uk/beginners/your-first-run/9092.html

Good luck with the running.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    when I run 5 miles or less my pace is about 10-11:30 when i run 10+ it's 12:30-13:30 not science, I just seem to run slower when I run longer. I guess mentally I'm saving energy for the long haul.

even those numbers are kinda skewed because I stop at stop lights and my pace will go to like 20+ min/mile because I'm standing around. but over all, those numbers I posted are close.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind I didn't start running until I was at my goal weight and had been heavy lifting and then lifting for hypertrophy for months, so I had a decent fitness base. Amazing how heavy lifting will increase cardiovascular fitness and endurance if you start as a couch potato ...

My first 5K distance was late May right at 10 min/mi, and that was an easy pace, not a race pace. I was amazed that I could hold a good pace and feel like it was pretty easy.