Breakfast or no?

Options
dmegk5
dmegk5 Posts: 26 Member
So I'm a college student (enough said). I'm living just off campus and it's always late nights studying it seems for me. I started out the year eating breakfast (special K cereal) but then it slowly got pushed out of my morning schedule. I shower in the morning and sometimes make lunch and stuff and it seems like I'm always rushing out the door to work or class. I've heard that breakfast helps boost metabolism. I could wake up ten minutes earlier to fit it in but is it really that important? Thoughts?

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    There's no boosting anything, that's a myth. If you need to eat breakfast, then eat it. If you would rather not, then don't. It's your overall calories that matter.
  • glasshalffull713
    glasshalffull713 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    What the furby said.

How do you feel? Try and pick a few days when you make time for it and see if you feel more energy, have less cravings, etc. I personally love breakfast and wouldn't want to skip it. I get too hangry. But everybody's different! I think the breakfast being important thing might be becoming antiquated thinking.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    breakfast has zero impact on metabolism. if you want to eat it great, if you do not want to eat it, then that is fine too ..

just go by how you feel ….
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is nothing more than personal preference and what your own goals are.... Whatever works for you to adhere to your daily caloric intake is what you should do... Best of Luck
  • dmegk5
    dmegk5 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I wanted to see what other people thought of it. When I was little I would feel sick if I ate too early so I never really got into the habit of eating it. I've grown out of feeling ill but I'm used to not eating so I'm not really hungry until later.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I don't know how you are, but... I get super aggro if I eat breakfast. Unless it's pancakes. Then I'm all huggy awesome and loving everyone.

Breakfast = Aggro.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I should have breakfast with Sebastian Steve.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Ah yes, metabolism, the most overrated excuse/phenomenon is the non-weight loss world.

Funny how many people think that skipping breakfast is the solution. How about just skipping that huge burger you are looking to have instead at dinner time? I am sure that will help your metabolic rate.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Lol, I read this thread just in the hopes to see if Steve had posted yet.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    Ah yes, metabolism, the most overrated excuse/phenomenon is the non-weight loss world.

Funny how many people think that skipping breakfast is the solution. How about just skipping that huge burger you are looking to have instead at dinner time? I am sure that will help your metabolic rate.

how about just eat in a deficit and forget about meal timing all together?

let me guess burgers are 'bad'…????
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It's your choice whether you eat breakfast or not. Your metabolism never stops working, so there's nothing you need to do to kick it up in the morning. Some people need to eat first thing, others feel ill if they try to and wait until lunch for their first meal. I have to eat it or else I'll be snacking throughout the day.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    You should eat it. Take a cereal bar or a banana on the go and eat it.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Make something the night before (crock pot oatmeal is a great one)...or get things you can eat on the go (make breakfast wraps ahead of time and then just grab one on the way out the door) or do granola bars, power bars, bananas...go-gurt LoL j/k
  • ndj1979
    Options
    You should eat it. Take a cereal bar or a banana on the go and eat it.

why should you eat breakfast?
  • CarolinaAcorn
    CarolinaAcorn Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    If I do it's usually a greek yogurt or a quest bar....but sometimes it's just coffee.
  • InfamousFox
    InfamousFox Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone here that the whole breakfast thing is a myth. If you're up late and you're having your last meals late, you might not really need breakfast to keep you going. I have my last meal around 6PM, so by 8AM, I'm hungry. I never skip it :O
  • Boccellin
    Boccellin Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    If it would be a major inconvenience for you, it's not strictly necessary, but I find eating breakfast really starts the day off right. I usually eat an enormous breakfast, sometimes it has more calories than my dinner. Really wakes me up and makes me feel great. Gives me a lot more energy. However, even if it's just something as simple as eating a granola bar while you're walking to class. For me, it does wake up my metabolism, and it allows me to eat normally throughout the day, because I'm not starving by lunch. However, if it's too inconvenient, you could probably achieve the same thing by keeping a few snacks handy and munching on them between meals.