Breakfast or no?

Options

Replies

• Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I never skip breakfast – I notice a significant difference in my energy level when I don’t eat it or have something that lacks substance. Not metabolism, energy level.

And I really don’t see the point in walking around with an empty stomach all morning, especially when I do an early workout and am “starving” afterwards, but to each his own…
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Some of us work out fasted, and some of us (like me) perform better fasted, and our energy levels are higher in general than normally when "well" fed.

It's not an either or.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    eldamiano wrote: »
    Ah yes, metabolism, the most overrated excuse/phenomenon is the non-weight loss world.

Funny how many people think that skipping breakfast is the solution. How about just skipping that huge burger you are looking to have instead at dinner time? I am sure that will help your metabolic rate.

how about just eat in a deficit and forget about meal timing all together?

let me guess burgers are 'bad'…????

Nowhere in my post did I say that.

There are however, plenty of people who think skipping breakfast helps. Funny how they dont suggest skipping a meal which tends to be much more calorific.

the why did you say "skip the burger"....I can fit a burger into my daily calorie allowance and macro target, what is wrong with that?

Show me a piece by which in general speech, saying 'Skip the burger' equates to 'Burgers are bad', and I will rest my case. Use common sense.

Moral of the story - if the poster is trying to look at avoiding more food to lose weight then much better to cut down on a highly calorific food than a bit of breakfast. Glory be.

if a burger is not bad, then why skip it?

Dunno mate. To help lose weight.... if that's what you are trying to do?.....

Why do you get out of bed if you have somewhere to go that day?
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Ah yes, metabolism, the most overrated excuse/phenomenon is the non-weight loss world.

Funny how many people think that skipping breakfast is the solution. How about just skipping that huge burger you are looking to have instead at dinner time? I am sure that will help your metabolic rate.

There are however, plenty of people who think skipping breakfast helps. Funny how they dont suggest skipping a meal which tends to be much more calorific.

the why did you say "skip the burger"....I can fit a burger into my daily calorie allowance and macro target, what is wrong with that?

Show me a piece by which in general speech, saying 'Skip the burger' equates to 'Burgers are bad', and I will rest my case. Use common sense.

Moral of the story - if the poster is trying to look at avoiding more food to lose weight then much better to cut down on a highly calorific food than a bit of breakfast. Glory be.

If it fits into your calories for the day and you're eating at a deficit, you will lose weight. Regardless of whether you have a burger or not.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    jasonmh630 wrote: »

If it fits into your calories for the day and you're eating at a deficit, you will lose weight. Regardless of whether you have a burger or not.

I do know this stuff my friend, but if one is considering skipping a light breakfast to maintain calorie deficit that it would be safe to assume not.

Did anybody actually read anything towards the beginning of this thread or just spot the work burger and get overly excited?
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    parkscs wrote: »
    I don't understand why some people think there has to be a universal answer to every question. If you prefer to eat breakfast, do it. If you find it helps you to skip it, skip it. Worry about what works for you, rather than what works for other people.

No one is looking for universal. You know that.

I think some of us are pushing for logical, rational, and reasonable.

High standards for MFP, I know. However, it is a good fight to fight.

I think some people are looking for universal or think they've already found it. Anyone who says
    Eating breakfast is smart. Its a proven fact that it reduces your chances of overeating

obviously thinks there's a universal answer to the question "should you eat breakfast?" I'd disagree, but that doesn't stop people from thinking their answer applies to other people. It'd be fine if people said "here's what works for me", but that's not how people present it and the implication from saying "Eating breakfast is smart" is pretty clear. But yes, logical, rational and reasonable would be nice.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    jasonmh630 wrote: »

I do know this stuff my friend, but if one is considering skipping a light breakfast to maintain calorie deficit that it would be safe to assume not.

Did anybody actually read anything towards the beginning of this thread or just spot the work burger and get overly excited?

Yes, I did read it. I didn't have any real objections to anything you said, sir. It's just the phrase "skip the burger" does imply that they are bad. Some people (like me) inferred that from the statement you made. Not saying that all will, but that's what the majority here seem to think. It just comes off that way, even if that's not what you meant by the comment.

• erinb419
    Options
    Breakfast is the most important meal of the day! It helps "break the fast" of sleeping for hours and hours. I find an overall improvement in my mood when I eat breakfast. That in my opinion is a more important reason to eat it than any "boost in metabolism".
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    rkalllison wrote: »
    erinb419 wrote: »
    Breakfast is the most important meal of the day! It helps "break the fast" of sleeping for hours and hours. I find an overall improvement in my mood when I eat breakfast. That in my opinion is a more important reason to eat it than any "boost in metabolism".

um...exactly who says its the most important meal of the day?

Breakfast cereal companies, mostly.

I agree with the poster above that you should eat breakfast if it increases your mood (along with fitting into your nutrition goals and no negative effects from it, etc), but I don't believe that's a universal. There have been people in this very thread who've said they have the opposite effect after breakfast. I know it's hard for some of us breakfast eaters to believe, but it does make some people sluggish or cranky in the morning. Again, eat it if you want, skip it if you want.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

so burgers make you gain weight? So if I eat a burger and am in a calorie deficit, I will gain weight, really?

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

this is just 100% wrong...

I would be curious to read the studies backing this up ...
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    yes breakfast and coffee for me daily

29509743.png
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I see everyone else so far has been giving opinions & arguing.
    How about some facts, research, etc.?

Yes, breakfast is associated with weight loss.
    And studies support having a large breakfast being associated with more weight loss than the typical US pattern of small breakfast, large dinner.

"Breakfast is associated with lower body weight ... "
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24898236

This study compared eating a small breakfast, medium lunch, and large dinner, [200, 500, 700 cal]
    with eating a large breakfast, medium lunch, and small dinner [700, 500, 200 cal].
    "The [large breakfast] group showed greater weight loss and waist circumference reduction ... fasting glucose, insulin [&] triglycerides ... decreased significantly to a greater extent in the [large breakfast] group."
    In addition, hunger was less and satiety was greater.
    Abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23512957
    Full text:
    http://genetics.doctorsonly.co.il/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Jakubowicz-at-al-Obesity-2013-oby20460.pdf

"subjects assigned to high caloric intake during breakfast lost significantly more weight than those assigned to high caloric intake during the dinner"
    Abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24467926
    Full text: http://www.tradewindsports.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Nutrient-Timing-and-Obesity-2014.pdf

"data suggest that a low-calorie Mediterranean diet with a higher amount of calories in the first part of the day could establish a greater reduction in fat mass and improved insulin sensitivity than a typical daily diet."
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24809437

51637601.png
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options

Nowhere did she say she was looking to avoid eating breakfast to lose weight, what the OP said was there was no time in the morning to eat breakfast and was wondering if it was ok to skip it.

And OP breakfast is a personal choice if you want to eat it or not, if you can go without breakfast then go without it, it doesn't make any difference if you get your deficit with lunch dinner and snacks or with breakfast included.
  • dbmata
    Options
    parkscs wrote: »
    obviously thinks there's a universal answer to the question "should you eat breakfast?" I'd disagree, but that doesn't stop people from thinking their answer applies to other people. It'd be fine if people said "here's what works for me", but that's not how people present it and the implication from saying "Eating breakfast is smart" is pretty clear. But yes, logical, rational and reasonable would be nice.

That person disappeared as soon as I asked for an academic study showing that. They were talking out of their chocolate starfish.

In other news, I just had granola for breakfast, and I'm super aggro right now. My all two small portion was actually TWO servings.
  • dbmata
    Options
    rkalllison wrote: »

um...exactly who says its the most important meal of the day?

erin does, therefore n=1, it is! lol. I kid.
  • lillyrose2020
    lillyrose2020 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    I don't know how you are, but... I get super aggro if I eat breakfast. Unless it's pancakes. Then I'm all huggy awesome and loving everyone.

Breakfast = Aggro.

Ahhh, I need to try pancakes for breakfast and see if I become more huggy awesome and loving everyone! Mostly I hate life and the entire world in the morning, mornings are not my friend.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    I see everyone else so far has been giving opinions & arguing.
    How about some facts, research, etc.?

Yes, breakfast is associated with weight loss.
    And studies support having a large breakfast being associated with more weight loss than the typical US pattern of small breakfast, large dinner.

"Breakfast is associated with lower body weight ... "
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24898236

This study compared eating a small breakfast, medium lunch, and large dinner, [200, 500, 700 cal]
    with eating a large breakfast, medium lunch, and small dinner [700, 500, 200 cal].
    "The [large breakfast] group showed greater weight loss and waist circumference reduction ... fasting glucose, insulin [&] triglycerides ... decreased significantly to a greater extent in the [large breakfast] group."
    In addition, hunger was less and satiety was greater.
    Abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23512957
    Full text:
    http://genetics.doctorsonly.co.il/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Jakubowicz-at-al-Obesity-2013-oby20460.pdf

"subjects assigned to high caloric intake during breakfast lost significantly more weight than those assigned to high caloric intake during the dinner"
    Abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24467926
    Full text: http://www.tradewindsports.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Nutrient-Timing-and-Obesity-2014.pdf

"data suggest that a low-calorie Mediterranean diet with a higher amount of calories in the first part of the day could establish a greater reduction in fat mass and improved insulin sensitivity than a typical daily diet."
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24809437

51637601.png

You realize the very first study you're linking says in the abstract:
    Conclusions: A recommendation to eat or skip breakfast for weight loss was effective at changing self-reported breakfast eating habits, but contrary to widely espoused views this had no discernable effect on weight loss in free-living adults who were attempting to lose weight.