Different names for foods - UK/US

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    aspic is interesting stuff. Take a flavorful stock, mine preferred is chicken or veal. Then thicken it with gelatin, and you eat it chilled. It's a nice garnish, first step in making soup dumplings (xiao long bao). It's also when heated up, it's what you use as the gel base for headcheese.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    sucampbeN wrote: »
    kristydi wrote: »
    Paracetamol? I came across that one reading a short story and, based on context clue,s I think it's a pain killer like Tylenol or Advil.
    And don't you Brits call Band-Aids plasters?

ETA oh wait, you asked about food. Ignore me.

You are right, Paracetamol is a painkiller. I'm from New Zealand and we use more British names than American. I live in Australia though and there are even different names for foods here than there are in New Zealand.

Tylenol is a brand of paracetamol
    Advil is a brand of ibuprofen

Brits use the drug name whilst Americans use the brand name.

Brits call band-aids plasters, or sometimes we use the brand name Elastoplast.

Another one: q-tips are cotton buds.

Paracetamol is marketed in the US as acetaminophen and sold under different brand names (like Tylenol.) There is no such thing as paracetamol here. Only acetaminophen (sold as Tylenol.) :)

"Elastoplast" here is a generally used for special kind of medical tape, lol.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    aspic is interesting stuff. Take a flavorful stock, mine preferred is chicken or veal. Then thicken it with gelatin, and you eat it chilled. It's a nice garnish, first step in making soup dumplings (xiao long bao). It's also when heated up, it's what you use as the gel base for headcheese.

Oh ,ok - I haven't heard of that.

But, no, I would not call it jelly.
    Jelly is sweet ( either sugared or artificially sweetened) and is a dessert thing, often eaten with fruit and custard.

• paperpudding
    Options
    FredDoyle wrote: »
    lolli = sucker

breakie = breakfast

tea = lunch

crisps = potato chips

chips = French fries

carvary = Buffet w/ chicken & prime rib roasts

sunday dinner = roasted chicken & potatoes

All the Brits I know call the evening meal (supper or dinner) tea. Not lunch.

Same in Australia - tea is always the evening meal.( unless it is the drink ie as in tea or coffee ) Lunch is always the middle of day meal. Dinner is bit interchangeable but tends to refer to a main cooked meal, whether one eats it at lunch time or tea time

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    US / UK ?
    grits/
    cole slaw/
    hush puppies/
    Do you have chili/mac (chili over macaroni and cheese?)
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    lolli = sucker

breakie = breakfast

tea = lunch

crisps = potato chips

chips = French fries

Calling the evening meal 'tea' is a Northern thing. I grew up in the North, but I live in the South now, and we say 'dinner'. Supper is something you eat before bed.

A carvery is just where they carve some meat for you, and you help yourself to veg and gravy.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    US / UK ?
    grits/
    cole slaw/
    hush puppies/
    Do you have chili/mac (chili over macaroni and cheese?)

We have coleslaw.

Hush Puppies is a brand of shoe.

Never heard if chilli over mac and cheese. In fact, mac and cheese isn't that popular here.

• handyandy9x
    handyandy9x Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    UK don't have grits at all.... I've often wondered what it is when I see it in movies
    Root beer is similar to Dandelion and Burdock
    And no chilli mac .. well not when I was still living there
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Hush puppies are deep fried scorn meal batter.
    Grits are like polenta -- often served at breakfast with butter and salt.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

Oh ,ok - I haven't heard of that.

But, no, I would not call it jelly.
    Jelly is sweet ( either sugared or artificially sweetened) and is a dessert thing, often eaten with fruit and custard.

The only time aspic is commonly used is as the 'jelly' inside a pork pie.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

My wife and I tried to find out what grits are in a Florida supermarket. The ingredients label said "Corn grits". We're none the wiser.

In general it seems to me there is more use of brand names in the US than here in the UK, so if I put Jello into Google I get a load of stuff about Kraft Foods product Jell-o, but Jelly gets me a wikipedia page about all the uses of that word.

As well as the wobbly dessert, "jelly" in the UK can be a form of jam made from just the fruit juice rather than the whole fruit. Also there are semi-savoury things like redcurrant or cranberry jelly.
    http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/question84.htm

Other forms of jelly include the gelatine found in canned pet food, pork pies or older preserving recipes like jellied eels.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Never heard if chilli over mac and cheese. In fact, mac and cheese isn't that popular here.

Indeed, when I saw Gordon Ramsay making it on one of his US shows I was aghast ! That, and meatloaf. How the mighty have fallen.
  • WhoWasGivenToFly
    WhoWasGivenToFly Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    In parts of the US Sh*% on a Shingle refers of creamed beef served over toast, usually for breakfast.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

My wife and I tried to find out what grits are in a Florida supermarket. The ingredients label said "Corn grits". We're none the wiser.

Grits is ground hominy. Hominy is dried corn that's been soaked in lye to remove the outer hull then dried again and cooked into a savory type of porridge. Its similar to how they make masa, which is the main ingredient in corn tortillas.

I hear its also almost the same as polenta, but I've never tried polenta so I don't know.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grits

Most stuff online says it's usually a breakfast side dish, but that's not really how this Georgia girl sees it. Growing up we usually had grits as a super side dish when we had pork chops with BBQ sauce. And you haven't lived to you've had good shrimp and grits. Creamy grits topped with sauteed shrimp in a spicy sauce, heavenly.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

I went to a shopping mall in Beverly Hills and had a jacket potato, and they put that disgusting squeezy cheese on it. You'd expect posher cheese in Beverly Hills!

Oh gosh that's my pet peeve. I discovered cheese fries here at that chain called Nifty Fifties... so absolutely delicious, real cheddar, no aftertaste. I tried them at several other places and it was horrible, they're using that squeezy artificial cheese on it and it has a horrible aftertaste. Never again.
  • Roony02
    Roony02 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Erbs=Herbs
    Biscuit=Bread roll
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    lolli = sucker

breakie = breakfast

tea = lunch

crisps = potato chips

chips = French fries

Calling the evening meal 'tea' is a Northern thing. I grew up in the North, but I live in the South now, and we say 'dinner'. Supper is something you eat before bed.

I'm northern and I used to call it 'tea' but then I moved to the South and had to learn to call it 'dinner'. I notice that some places still call it Sunday lunch as it's sometimes eaten earlier, about about 2pm.

Posh southerners call it 'supper'. I used to die laughing on the tube, listening to all the business call their wives and ask what was for supper, darling ;-)

Up north, supper is a sandwich or the like that you have before you go to bed.

• blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    I also notice that we haven't even *started* on the minefield that is bread yet.

Up north a bread roll can be called a bap, a barm, a cob, a muffin (as in - chip muffin). So a muffin can be anything from a bread roll, to a type of cake often sold in paper, to a flat bread like thing that McDonalds sells sausage and egg mcmuffins in.
  • Sandigesha
    Sandigesha Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Refuse! Resist!
  • paperpudding
    Options
    I also notice that we haven't even *started* on the minefield that is bread yet.

Up north a bread roll can be called a bap, a barm, a cob, a muffin (as in - chip muffin). So a muffin can be anything from a bread roll, to a type of cake often sold in paper, to a flat bread like thing that McDonalds sells sausage and egg mcmuffins in.

Ah yes - my husband comes from UK - once I bought us 2 finger buns as a treat.
    Me - would you like a buttered bun?
    him- can I have lettuce, cheese tomato
    Am thinking to myself no, he can't possibly want that, so I took it out to show him, You really want lettuce cheese tomato on a bun???.
    Oh you mean a finger bun I thought you meant a bread bun..

Which to Australians is a bread roll.