Different names for foods - UK/US

Options

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

@karenjanine Tuxedos are Oreos, just the generic name for two cracker style cookies around a filling.

So a cookie in the uk is a chocolate chip cookie?
    18476lrg.jpg

Because if that's the case, that's all I need.

Yep - that's definitely a cookie @dbmata
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Zucchini = Courgette
    Forgive my ignorance.

But I honestly never realized those were the same thing. :open_mouth:
  • SomeNights246
    edited October 2014
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Hunh? Every time I've ever seen pigs in a blanket, they were an appetizer of mini hot dogs that had been cooked in some kind of flaky pastry that was wrapped around them

That sounds like a Sausage Roll (UK).

Pigs in blankets (UK) = sausages wrapped in bacon.

Sausages (UK) = Links (US) ? (if not a tubular thing it would be called "sausage meat" in the UK)

Here, pigs in a blanket usually refers to hot dogs wrapped in croissants. Sometimes with cheese. (though, I've also heard those called 'pigs in a poke')

And sausage links are right. All other sausage is just sausage usually. Or sausage patties.
  • SomeNights246
    Options
    kristydi wrote: »
    Paracetamol? I came across that one reading a short story and, based on context clue,s I think it's a pain killer like Tylenol or Advil.
    And don't you Brits call Band-Aids plasters?

ETA oh wait, you asked about food. Ignore me.

ignoring is mean :) yes, paracetamol is a pain killer, and we call band aids plasters. :)

i have often wondered what Americans call cider, (alcoholic apple based drink) because what you call cider doesn't seem to be alcoholic as far as i can tell.

and cold cuts sounds so much tastier than our processed meat.

oh thought of one
    linseed (uk) flaxseed (us)

I always thought there was a difference between US "cider" (non-alcoholic) and "hard cider" (alcoholic). But maybe I'm wrong.

o.O In my neck of the woods, there is. Maybe that differs in the US by state.
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    US - Cider is made from pressed apples, not filtered and usually cloudy, apple juice is filtered and usually pasteurized. Cider can be fermented which is then called hard cider.
  • SomeNights246
    Options
    myrtille87 wrote: »
    US: steel cut oats / UK: pinhead oats
    US: frosting / UK: icing
    US: can (for tomatoes, beans etc.) / UK: tin (cans are what fizzy drinks come in)
    US: applesauce ??? I am not quite sure what this is as it seems to be something people eat on its own and add into recipes. UK: apple sauce - made from Bramley apples, served with roast pork and that's pretty much it.

I think it's pretty much the same thing?

Apple puree. Or as I call it, adult baby food.

Except here in the US, it is often eaten as a dessert, for breakfast, or used in recipes. You very rarely see Americans eat it at dinner or lunch.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Fairy Cake... cute.

It's amusing how many French words people in the UK use for veggies!

Coming from a French person, I have to say that there is good cheese in the US, mostly good cheddars (and mostly from the North). But we find a lot more imported cheeses now thankfully.

And US chocolate is crap.

Also there is both ginger beer and ginger ale in the US. Ginger beer has a much stronger flavor and is typically sold in glass bottles as opposed to cans (as far as I know).

There is no real equivalent for custard here sadly. I mean, you can make it, but you won't be able to find it already made at the store.

• kerenelly
    kerenelly Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    Cider is actually alcoholic, not a simple sparkling apple juice.
    In my part of the country (which has a lot of orchards), the alcoholic cider is often called hard cider (for clarity), and in the fall you can buy fresh pressed, unpasteurized cider, which is not alcoholic.

I live in the UK.. and what we call cider is alcoholic!
  • kerenelly
    kerenelly Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    lisajo89 wrote: »
    UK - USA
    Pork shoulder - Pork butt
    Streaky bacon - Bacon
    Ice lolly / Lolly ice - Popsicle
    Prawns - Shrimp

Prawns and shrimp are different!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Fairy Cake... cute.

It's amusing how many French words people in the UK use for veggies!

Coming from a French person, I have to say that there is good cheese in the US, mostly good cheddars (and mostly from the North). But we find a lot more imported cheeses now thankfully.

And US chocolate is crap.

Also there is both ginger beer and ginger ale in the US. Ginger beer has a much stronger flavor and is typically sold in glass bottles as opposed to cans (as far as I know).

There is no real equivalent for custard here sadly. I mean, you can make it, but you won't be able to find it already made at the store.

I think of cupcakes as bigger than fairy cakes with more icing (frosting) on them.

You use an Italian word..zucchini ..while we use the French word, courgette.

I went to a shopping mall in Beverly Hills and had a jacket potato, and they put that disgusting squeezy cheese on it. You'd expect posher cheese in Beverly Hills!
  • lsgibbs83
    lsgibbs83 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Cheese (uk) = processed plastic (US)

I was going to say exactly the same thing yesterday when I first looked at this thread, but was too scared!

We do have processed crap like "American Cheese" in the UK thanks to the likes of Kraft, and other processed cheese-like substances made from whey and the like, what are "good" cheeses in the US ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_cheeses didn't inspire.

This is why I only buy imported European cheeses.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

@karenjanine Tuxedos are Oreos, just the generic name for two cracker style cookies around a filling.

So a cookie in the uk is a chocolate chip cookie?
    18476lrg.jpg

Because if that's the case, that's all I need.

Yep - that's definitely a cookie @dbmata

It doesn't have to have choc chips in it though. You can get oat cookies, raisin cookies, peanut butter cookies.....

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Jelly (US) Jam (UK)
    I always thought peanut butter jelly sandwiches sounded horrible!

Well, Jelly and Jam are two different specific things.

Jelly: it's a congealed spread made from sweetened fruit juice.
    Jam: it's a congealed spread made from sweetened and crushed fruit

No - in Australia (and UK?) jelly is not a spread - it is a gelatine dessert thing - what you call jello, I think.

Nobody spreads jelly on sandwiches here .

In the US they are different things. We have them both.

But yep - your jelly is our jello I believe.
    Is aspic called jelly as well?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    re: cheeses in america. There's been quite a strong revitalization of the festishization of handmade "farmhouse" and gourmet cheese.

Now we have quality cheeses like 3 and 4 year cave aged new york cheddars that smell like bile and taste like heaven. Or my personal favorite, humboldt fog, which is a soft and moldy cheese with a line of vegetable ash in the middle. We still have a far cry to go before we can really compete with the germans and french though. :)

btw, just found out today that shrimp and prawns are from two different orders. no *kitten*. that's pretty cool.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I thought I was sorted with most of this until I moved from England to Ireland. Here if you ask for crisps (chips ) you automatically get cheese and onion flavour instead of ready salted. Bacon is a big lump of cooked pork that I would call ham. If you want sliced bacon you have to ask for rashers. Aaaargh!!!
  • boombalatty123
    boombalatty123 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I agree, Americans have had decent quality cheeses available for at least the past ten years. They are a lot more expensive than the processed crap, but they are available.

If you ask my husband, most Americans would call aspic gross, lol (actually most of them wouldn't know what it was). Americans today don't eat it. I haven't seen head cheese in a grocery store for a very long time, and that's the only aspic use I can recall seeing. We eat Jello, but that's a sweetened dessert. The unsweetened gelatin is really only used here as a thickener or a drink/treatment to improve fingernail quality.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,034 Member
    Options
    Jelly (US) Jam (UK)
    I always thought peanut butter jelly sandwiches sounded horrible!

Well, Jelly and Jam are two different specific things.

Jelly: it's a congealed spread made from sweetened fruit juice.
    Jam: it's a congealed spread made from sweetened and crushed fruit

No - in Australia (and UK?) jelly is not a spread - it is a gelatine dessert thing - what you call jello, I think.

Nobody spreads jelly on sandwiches here .

In the US they are different things. We have them both.

But yep - your jelly is our jello I believe.
    Is aspic called jelly as well?

I don't know what aspic is.

In Australia, ( and. UK) jam is the spread made from fruit that people spread on toast,crumpets etc.
    Jelly is the dessert thing made from flavoured coloured gelatine crystals, mixed with boiling water and set in fridge. (Which in USA is called jello)
  • fobs13
    fobs13 Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    I thought I was sorted with most of this until I moved from England to Ireland. Here if you ask for crisps (chips ) you automatically get cheese and onion flavour instead of ready salted. Bacon is a big lump of cooked pork that I would call ham. If you want sliced bacon you have to ask for rashers. Aaaargh!!!

Are we that different in Ireland. Knew the crisp thing as we just call them taytoes.
  • 1stplace4health
    1stplace4health Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    lolli = sucker

breakie = breakfast

tea = lunch

crisps = potato chips

chips = French fries

carvary = Buffet w/ chicken & prime rib roasts

sunday dinner = roasted chicken & potatoes

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    lolli = sucker

breakie = breakfast

tea = lunch

crisps = potato chips

chips = French fries

carvary = Buffet w/ chicken & prime rib roasts

sunday dinner = roasted chicken & potatoes

All the Brits I know call the evening meal (supper or dinner) tea. Not lunch.