Different names for foods - UK/US

Options

Replies

• Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I went to Michigan once and had 'biscuits' for breakfast they were like English muffins (also just known as muffins here in the UK). I was totally expecting Rich Tea biccies or equivalent.

Either (1) they were out of biscuits and just substituted an English muffin without telling you, or (2) they made really bad biscuits (but even in Michigan, which I don't think qualifies as the biscuit capital of the U.S., a bad biscuit should be readily distinguishable from an English muffin -- it has a lot more fat in it, so the texture is very different --a biscuit is closer to a croissant than to an English muffin), or (3) your unfortunate foreign palate lacks the ability to distinguish between a (U.S.) biscuit and a (U.S.) English muffin -- rather like a non-native English speaker whose native tongue doesn't have the same set of phonemes as English, so they have lost the ability they were born with to hear and pronounce "r" and "l" or "b" and "v" as different sounds. If the latter is the case, I weep for you. A (U.S.) biscuit can be a sublime thing, all flaky and tender, still warm from oven, not really needing butter but able to dance with the butter to greater gustatory heights than either could achieve on its own. Sigh.

Maybe our British palates can't tell the difference between a US "biscuit" and a so-called "English" muffin, but I think Beckilovespizza was trying to make the point that a "biscuit" in the UK is actually what Americans would call a cookie. That would be weird for breakfast. (Then again, in the US, maybe not).

Yes, that was what i meant, thanks! @lissabenjamin :smiley:
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,704 Member
    Options
    I'm a Canadian living in the UK. Biscuits back home were savory scones, dropped with a spoon rather than cut on the baking sheet.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Nothing separates a people like a common language.
  • RedheadQuine
    RedheadQuine Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    This thread is funny. I'm bi-dialect-al, having lived back and forth between the UK and US and being married to a Yank. ;)
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    This thread is funny. I'm bi-dialect-al, having lived back and forth between the UK and US and being married to a Yank. ;)
    As am I. My wife is a Brit, but I'm a Canuck with a "shed load" of American friends.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Cheese (uk) = processed plastic (US)

Thank god we followed french tradition for good cheese. One more heavily processed, rubbery "cheddar" in the brit tradition would drive me bananahammock.
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    As a Canadian I am enjoying this thread because we use some of these British words for foods, some US words, and we also have our own words for things. :D
  • dbmata
    Options
    I always used to wonder what a biscuit was in the US! When I read a book and they'd have biscuits and gravy. I thought it would be a bit weird pouring gravy over a custard cream! I think gravy is different too, more creamy in the US?

A biscuit is a brilliant thing.
    Flour, baking powder, salt, lard/shortening - cut all those together in a bowl. Add buttermilk, or milk, or water but just enough to barely bind it. Fold it together, pat out, cut and bake. It's flaky, bread like. When it comes out of the oven, brush it with butter.

For the gravy for that, you start with a bechamel and add breakfast sausage, and that breakfast sausage would be a more herbed, less salted version of bangers.
  • dbmata
    Options
    For brit biscuits, is that the generic term? Or is that a specific type?

Would you call a tuxedo, a shortbread, and a gingersnap the same thing? Are those all biscuits?
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    shaumom wrote: »
    UK-US
    herbal infusion - herbal tea - this is for those that solely for drinking
    tisane - still called herbal tea - this is for those that are supposed to be medicinal

Oh, and to add to the fun apple cider issue, in the USA, we also have something called Apple Jack - where you take alcoholic (hard) apple cider and cool it to freezing, skimming of the ice that forms and therefore raising the alcohol content.

Rootbeer (a soda) is an American thing that you don't really find in the UK - most UK folks I know who tried it when they came to American thought it tasted like cough syrup.

Most common chocolate in the UK: cadbury
    Most common chocolate in the US: Hershey's

I thought root beer was like our ginger beer? I've never tried it in the US though.

Jacket potato (UK) = baked potato (US)
    I always used to wonder what a biscuit was in the US! When I read a book and they'd have biscuits and gravy. I thought it would be a bit weird pouring gravy over a custard cream! I think gravy is different too, more creamy in the US?

Don't know about typical Brit gravy, but there are several types I'm familiar with.
    Brown gravy is made from the fat rendered by cooking turkey or chicken or beef etc. With a thickener (usual flour, sometimes corn starch) and broth or stock.

White or cream gravy is made the same way, but with milk (or half and half) rather than broth. Usually made from the drippings of pork breakfast sausage and heavy on the pepper. Amazing served over split buttermilk biscuits with the crumbled sausage.

Then there's red eye gravy. This is made from country ham drippings and with coffee rather than broth. Not my favorite.

I'm from a good old southern family. We know gravy.

Oh and I think ginger beer is called ginger ale here. I think root beer is awful, but I love good ginger ale.
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    kristydi wrote: »
    UK-US
    tisane - still called herbal tea - this is for those that are supposed to be medicinal

Oh, and to add to the fun apple cider issue, in the USA, we also have something called Apple Jack - where you take alcoholic (hard) apple cider and cool it to freezing, skimming of the ice that forms and therefore raising the alcohol content.

Rootbeer (a soda) is an American thing that you don't really find in the UK - most UK folks I know who tried it when they came to American thought it tasted like cough syrup.

I thought root beer was like our ginger beer? I've never tried it in the US though.

Don't know about typical Brit gravy, but there are several types I'm familiar with.
    Brown gravy is made from the fat rendered by cooking turkey or chicken or beef etc. With a thickener (usual flour, sometimes corn starch) and broth or stock.

White or cream gravy is made the same way, but with milk (or half and half) rather than broth. Usually made from the drippings of pork breakfast sausage and heavy on the pepper. Amazing served over split buttermilk biscuits with the crumbled sausage.

Then there's red eye gravy. This is made from country ham drippings and with coffee rather than broth. Not my favorite.

Oh and I think ginger beer is called ginger ale here. I think root beer is awful, but I love good ginger ale.

Biscuits and sausage gravy is the best breakfast comfort food I can think of. Highly recommended for any visitor to the American South.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    kristydi wrote: »
    UK-US

Biscuits and sausage gravy is the best breakfast comfort food I can think of. Highly recommended for any visitor to the American South.

I'll keep that in mind if I visit! I've only been to California and Nevada. I don't think I ate anything particularly 'American'. I didn't even try the chocolate. I regret not trying sourdough bread in San Francisco.
  • dbmata
    Options
    You'll get better biscuits and gravy in CA. ;)

I've had them throughout the east, south, midwest, and west. CA has the best, hands down.

Although I did find one place in WA that is fairly legit.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Nope, been there done that. Cat sick.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    For brit biscuits, is that the generic term? Or is that a specific type?

Would you call a tuxedo, a shortbread, and a gingersnap the same thing? Are those all biscuits?

One of them is an item of clothing.

In general biscuits is a wide term and would encompass ginger snaps, shortbread, chocolate coated biscuits etc etc

Here's a search for "biscuit" at a UK grocery store
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    Cider is actually alcoholic, not a simple sparkling apple juice.

Cider can be alcoholic or non-alcoholic. Non-alcoholic cider isn't carbonated, though.

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Brown Sauce (UK) = Steak sauce, sorta (US). There's no exact eqiuv. in the US.
    Salad Cream (UK) = Salad Dressing, sorta (US). There's no exact equiv. in the US. Tastes a bit like mayo.
    Pastie (UK) = Empanada or Calzone are closest (US) but not quite.
    ploughman's pickle/ Branston pickle (UK) = Chutney/Pickled Chutney/Relish (US). It's not common stateside.
    Soured cream (UK) = Sour Cream (US)
    Bangers (UK) = Sausage (US)
    Mash (UK) = Mashed potatoes (US)
    Fairy Cake (UK) = Cupcake (US)
    Jam Roly-Poly (UK) = Jelly Roll/Jelly Roll Cake (US)
    Whelk (UK) = Snail (US)
    Kebab/Kebap (UK) is doner kebab. In the US, if you say kebab, people think you mean shish kebab (served on a stick).
    Milky tea (US) = Tea with milk (US)
  • Basilin
    Basilin Posts: 360 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Pastie (UK) = Empanada or Calzone are closest (US) but not quite.

Pastie (US) = Nipple cover for exotic dancers. What's the British word for that? B)

(I dare anyone to google image search this. You get a nice selection of delicious looking pastries mixed with near-naked women. LOL)
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Nipple covers or tassels
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    I went to Michigan once and had 'biscuits' for breakfast they were like English muffins (also just known as muffins here in the UK). I was totally expecting Rich Tea biccies or equivalent.

Either (1) they were out of biscuits and just substituted an English muffin without telling you, or (2) they made really bad biscuits (but even in Michigan, which I don't think qualifies as the biscuit capital of the U.S., a bad biscuit should be readily distinguishable from an English muffin -- it has a lot more fat in it, so the texture is very different --a biscuit is closer to a croissant than to an English muffin), or (3) your unfortunate foreign palate lacks the ability to distinguish between a (U.S.) biscuit and a (U.S.) English muffin -- rather like a non-native English speaker whose native tongue doesn't have the same set of phonemes as English, so they have lost the ability they were born with to hear and pronounce "r" and "l" or "b" and "v" as different sounds. If the latter is the case, I weep for you. A (U.S.) biscuit can be a sublime thing, all flaky and tender, still warm from oven, not really needing butter but able to dance with the butter to greater gustatory heights than either could achieve on its own. Sigh.

Maybe our British palates can't tell the difference between a US "biscuit" and a so-called "English" muffin, but I think Beckilovespizza was trying to make the point that a "biscuit" in the UK is actually what Americans would call a cookie. That would be weird for breakfast. (Then again, in the US, maybe not).

Oh, I got that point. I just didn't want the comment to mislead people as to what a U.S. biscuit is. It's not remotely similar to what is called an "English muffin" in the U.S.

Biscuit: high fat for a bread product, tender, flaky, frequently served with "red-eye" or sausage gravy, at home both at breakfast and dinner, usually baked on site if you're getting it at restaurant (if it's not baked on site, don't bother -- and don't bother with the pitiful refrigerated cylinders of biscuits found in the grocery store).

"English muffin": much less fat, known for "nooks and crannies," usually served toasted with butter and/or jam or as the bottom layer of eggs benedict, pretty much only served for breakfast, practically never baked on site if you're getting it at a restaurant (come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen an English muffin that wasn't the packaged product of a commercial/industrial bakery, as opposed to one freshly baked by a home cook, restaurant, or retail bakery that does its own in-house baking).