Anyone feel like they can't run?

Options
I do between 30-45 mins of cardio at the gym each day. No problems at all.
I push myself, sweat buckets, and enjoy it. Apart from when I try and run.
The whole thing is just awful. It's so uncomfortable, I feel like I need to be breathing way more than I'm actually able to, everything hurts and I feel so heavy and gross when I run. So far I've gone from 225 lbs to 190 but I don't feel like it's any easier AT all.
I've read so many times that very often people that get in to fitness discover a love for running, where is this love?!

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a couch25k program?
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I couldn't even run 30 seconds in June. I mean, it, not even 30. I dowloaded the C25k app, and I stuck with it. It sucked. It was horrible. I had to do each day twice, and sometimes 3x. I completed the 9 week program on Labor Day weekend and can now do the full 5k to 4 miles in less than 40 minutes.

My point is, there is hope!! Start small, even 30 seconds will make a big improvement if it's consistent.

I still hate it, but I do it :)
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess you're running on a treadmill? If I'm right, do yourself a HUGE favor and get off the dreadmill and go outside! :smiley:

I can only take 10-15 minutes on the dreadmill, but can run for 90+ minutes outside. :)
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Just relax, go for it and feel the love.... running rocks....
  • Jessimaaka
    Jessimaaka Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Yup, I third the C25K program. Makes a world of difference. You've got this :smile:
  • lyrics09
    lyrics09 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm with you. I'd love to run but I just feel like those baby deer that can't coordinate or something lol. I do high intense cardio on elliptical and arc on pretty high resistances for 30-45 min at a time. I do great, no stops. But I try and run on the treadmill and I feel like a total moron/out of place.

No idea how to break that.
  • rach3649
    Options
    You can download a c25k app on your phone for nothing and its a great way to start.
  • lemonsurprise
    lemonsurprise Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    No I'm too ashamed to try at the gym! It's just out in field etc
    Happyfeetrebel, this is where I'm at now. 30 seconds would be a victory!
    I've looked at the C25k challenge briefly but, even with that name, thought it would be too advanced for someone who can't even run for a minute?
  • Contred
    Contred Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Love for running doesn't happen until you hit routine running. It took my about 4-5 weeks of running 15 miles a week to get "runners high" (endorphin). Remember to vary your exercises as running can cause some joint problems.
  • lemonsurprise
    Options
    Any tips for the breathing? Is it normal to feel like your lungs can't keep up with you at the beginning?! I've never had this with any other cardio!
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    There are different ones.
    The one I have on my phone (Zombies,Run5k...it's not free but there are a bunch of free ones) starts off with like 15 sec run bursts. Example workout:

10 min brisk walk
    _____
    1 min brisk walk
    15 sec run
    **repeat 10 x
    ----
    10 min free walk/run
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    running uses a specific set of muscles, and ligaments and bashes you about in a way I think only running does. I bike 15 miles a day and can go on the elliptical for over an hour but running for half hr hurts if I haven't done it for a while. I've been there before though and I know that when people keep it up it does stop being so uncomfortable. I like the idea of run/walks above as well - this is exactly how I got into running Good luck, I hope you get it because it is brilliant when you do
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I'll run when chased.
  • 12_oz_Curls
    12_oz_Curls Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Any tips for the breathing? Is it normal to feel like your lungs can't keep up with you at the beginning?! I've never had this with any other cardio!

I've been running most of my adult life and I still feel like my lungs can't keep up. The difference is when you hit this point. Trust me, start small. It's miserable. running 1/2 a mile is misery, running a mile is misery. Running 3 miles is misery. Then suddenly you're looking forward to that 6 mile relaxing run. But it takes a LONG time to get there, so don't sweat it.
  • mysmileighs
    mysmileighs Posts: 103 Member
    Options

My mom used to run track and she always told me to breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth. I usually try to time each breath to last 2-3 strides. In In In, Out Out Out........

If you keep trying and you still don't like it, don't do it! All things are not for all people. Find something you enjoy and do that! :flowerforyou:
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I'll run when chased.
    10500342_501575876655765_5383642930137258114_n.jpg?oh=a9da4f9b0c8822246cb63c04bd8765c4&oe=54B0376F

• lemonsurprise
    Options
    The bursts sound good to me too. I'm a dog walker so it'll be really easy to incorporate.
    Thanks for all the advice - I'm starting tomorrow!
  • fswku
    fswku Posts: 19 Member
    Options

When I first started, I felt the same way. The hardest thing for me to get into my head is "if you can't breathe, you're going too fast."

Before I ever started using C25K, I went for a brisk 1.5 mile walk 3 times a week. After a week or so of that, I upped it to every day. Once that was comfortable, I did the same pattern with 3 miles. Only when I was comfortable walking 3 miles at a brisk pace every day did I start C25K.

When you start actually running, don't try to go flat out. Instead, work on controlling your breathing. Aim for a pace that would let you carry on a conversation comfortably, but shorten your breathing pattern if you need to. If two steps in, two steps out is too hard, then slow down until you can manage that. It doesn't matter how fast you're actually going as long as you're using a running motion instead of a walking one. The speed will come with time. If you concentrate on your breathing, then you'll be able to maintain a steady pace, and will find that pace increasing over the course of the program.

Trust me when I say I know how hard it is starting out. And I'm not gonna lie, the first couple of days where there's no walking allowed were BRUTAL. But if you stick with it, you WILL get better. I'm on Week 9 of C25K and can maintain a 3-in, 3-out cadence for all but the final push I do at the end of a workout (which is maybe 300 yards tops). Even then, I don't go faster than would be comfortable at a 2:2 cadence.

Finally, I still can't say I LIKE running, but I love how much better it makes me feel afterward. I also like the time it gives me to let my mind wander and sort through whatever is bugging me at the time.

Stick with it and you'll get there! :smile:
  • jillyrose0711
    jillyrose0711 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    When I run, I run for spurts until the breathing becomes an issue and I feel like I'm straining. Then I stop to walk for as long as I need to fully catch my breath, breathing in and out slowly through my nose. Then I go back to running. If you try this for 20-30 minutes without timing yourself or worrying about how long your "breaks" are, you should slowly be able to run for longer periods without even realizing it. At least that was my experience, as someone who has never experienced the "runner's high" and still feels like running is a chore
  • consideritdonemi
    consideritdonemi Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    It took me a month to even be able to start to run. But I've found endurance running is boring for me, although I **do** like the intermittent HIIT 1 minute run/2 minute walk thing (15-20 mins of that with 5 mins each warm up and cool down). I especially like the fact that you don't have to put in as much time in to effectively burn decent calories. I agree with taking your running action outside on occasion. I bore easily so I have a few different parks with tree-filled/paved paths (Michigan has an excellent parks system). I am okay with the fact that I will never be a marathoner.