Anyone feel like they can't run?

Options

Replies

• Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I was the same as you! About a year ago, I tried C25K and lasted about two weeks. I was miserable and I hated it. I was 195 pounds and it HURT! I restarted it lately, almost 15 pounds lighter and it feels so much better. So I can say it will definitely get easier as you lose weight and get some practice.

Today, I got some amazing new running shoes because I haven't been progressing the way I wanted. (I was sore for days after running.) I did so well but the last 5 minute run was a challenge. I had to tell myself that a few more minutes of being uncomfortable would pass and then I could be proud all day! Corny, but it's true!

It's wonderful to run outside, but no one will be watching you at the gym so don't worry!
  • tedsmama
    tedsmama Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I used to feel like I couldn't run. Now I feel like I cannot NOT run. :p
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Any tips for the breathing? Is it normal to feel like your lungs can't keep up with you at the beginning?! I've never had this with any other cardio!

I still use what my high school cross country coach taught us. Seriously it works! Download some military cadence songs (there are tons on iTunes) chant along with them as you run. You don't have to do it out loud but it will regulate your breathing. In through your nose and out through your mouth. I even had my kids do it when they were running to train for sports.
  • whitehorse67
    whitehorse67 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I had ACL reconstruction in my knee in 2007, so running is pretty uncomfortable for me. Plus, I feel uncoordinated while doing it n a treadmill.......I do think though, that running for 30 seconds to a minute each time will eventually put my mind at ease that my knee can handle it.

I would say.....try it for a short period each time you walk and then eventually it will get easier. For myself, the more weight I lose the easier I thin it will be to run.....and doing a %k is something that I think will make me feel like I have succeeded in my journey!

Good luck to you!.....you can do it!
  • 0torque0
    0torque0 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    i hate running too. but i started off with a very light jog first, like a little faster than a fast walk. then after a week or two went between that and jogging faster. you got this, don't feel like you have to go from zero to marathon all at once. Once I dropped some weight running got easier and easier. Sounds like you have already dropped some too and it just keeps getting better. I still hate to run but it works on days i don't have time to ride my bike.
  • pmur
    pmur Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    When you feel out of breath you are running too fast. Slow down. Start couch to 5k. Take it really slow. If you cannot hold a conversation whilr running, it just means you are going too fast. I tried and gave up many times before c25k. I started the c25k and gave up without even completing day 2. Then I found the c25k group here, followed all the tips and advices and nine months to the day of restarting the program I ran a half marathon. I know if I could do it, anyone can.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I do between 30-45 mins of cardio at the gym each day. No problems at all.
    I push myself, sweat buckets, and enjoy it. Apart from when I try and run.
    The whole thing is just awful. It's so uncomfortable, I feel like I need to be breathing way more than I'm actually able to, everything hurts and I feel so heavy and gross when I run. So far I've gone from 225 lbs to 190 but I don't feel like it's any easier AT all.
    I've read so many times that very often people that get in to fitness discover a love for running, where is this love?!

Maybe running is not your thing. Nothing wrong with that. :smile:
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I agree with SSL. There's many other ways to get a good cardio workout besides running. Nothing wrong with opting for something else you enjoy more. The only time I ran was to stay in shape when I was in my 20's because I was a wildland firefighter. I hated every minute of running. It's just not my thing.
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I run for two reasons:
    -Away from fires
    -To the ice cream truck

Honestly, if you want me to run either chase me with flames or have Mr. Softee 5 feet in front of me the whole time.

• brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    You've probably already been told this (haven't read all comments)...SLOW DOWN. Seriously, run way, way slower until you can breathe more normally and run longer. Don't be surprised if you run slower than you can brisk walk! It's okay. It's normal in the beginning.

It's the most common mistake most people make when first running (this includes me)....running too fast for your endurance level.

Following a C25K program or some other walk/run interval program will help you build up the endurance to run longer, and eventually faster. You'll be amazed at how quickly you do advance, once you get on a progression program and find the correct pace for yourself.

I took up running in January 2013, using a C25K program. I could maybe run for 2 minutes back then. Now, I'm training for my third half-marathon and my "short" runs are at least 3 miles. :D

Check out this excellent post with tips:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1217573
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    you dont have to run. there are so many ways to get exersize there is no reason for you to do anything you hate doing. forget about it. it doesnt even burn more calories than any other... some things burn way more (like the arc trainer)

unless you want to do it. in that case i suggest start slow, practice breathing methodically while you do it. wear shorts not capris, tank top not tee shirt. turn the fan on the machine or run outside during cool hours. run in bursts or rotate running with speed walking on an incline (which actually burns more calories than jogging, and almost as much as a sprint or more if you are at a high enough incline) gradually increase your workout. have the right music. i like a high energy techno like trance control... tune out everyone and forget if anyone is watching because you are absorbed in music and timing your footfalls with the beat.

i love running.
  • keithintokyo
    Options
    I agree with you that running is tough. I really don't like it at all, but not just because it's hard. I simply don't enjoy it. Put me on a bike, and I'll go for hours, even long hill climbs where I'm dying from oxygen deprivation and still have a smile on my face. I use running for those days when I can't go for a bike ride, but even then prefer running stairs or trail running over a straight up run. Some people love it and can't get enough. But it could be you're just not a runner. I say there are plenty of good options for cardio - better to choose one you will stick with because you like it (or at least don't hate it :) ) . On a bike, you have the chance to explore new places much further away than you'd ever see on a run. And it's a LOT easier on the joints.

All that said, you want to be sure not to fall into a habit where your body adapts to the exercise giving you diminishing returns.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    At the age of 43, after a lifetime of avoiding running, something in my brain said, "hey, let's try running!". So I accepted my brain's challenge, grabbed a c25k app and started in. Three years later, I'm still running and I do enjoy it.

As others have said, if breathing seems rough, slow down. I mean S L O W down. Speed and distance will come later - follow the c25k program and go as slowly as necessary to complete the time for each session.

If I can learn to run in my 40's anyone can! There are more success stories all over the boards from people of all ages, sizes, abilities - use the search feature and check 'em out.

Good luck!
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    If it's awful don't do it. You don't have to run to be healthy. There are millions of other things you can do. If it's not enjoyable don't make yourself do it.
  • NoelleED
    NoelleED Posts: 148
    Options
    I am much bigger than you and I run using the C25K program as well. Tips - make sure your shoes support running. Don't pick your knees up super high, don't pick your feet up super high either. You don't need to look like a champion runner with all limbs stretching in every direction to get the benefits of running. Also, if you feel really out of breath and clumsy, you are going too fast AND/OR you are not focusing enough attention on strengthening your core. Your core is what balances you while you run and if you are really out of shape in the tummy, it will be much harder. Push yourself at a pace that makes you feel a little out of breath and gets the burn going, but not at a crazy high rate of speed. If the C25K says "run for 30 seconds" then try a nice, simple jog for 30 seconds at a speed you can maintain. Other people have mentioned that they had to repeat weeks with the C25K program, and that is totally fine! With interval training, make sure that you FULLY RECOVER in the slow parts before you try to ramp it up again. Then, over time, just try to shave seconds off your recovery time and add seconds to your running time.
    -
    My thoughts :smiley:
  • kareljack
    Options
    There is one important component about running that has yet to be mentioned - your striking pattern.
    Are you heel striking? Heel striking is inefficient, leads to hip and knee discomfort/pain and makes you put in more effort than is necessary. You need to develop a mid-foot striking pattern.
    Search Youtube for mid-foot striking. I'm 43, 50lbs overweight, (down from 90lbs) have arthritis in both knees. Changing from heel to mid-foot striking was tricky at first but worth it. My knees are only sore/painful after the days I get into the zone and push myself way too hard.
    While treadmill running is different from outdoor running, I can now run at 5.5 mph for 25 minutes on the treadmill. When I first started, I was lucky if I made 5 minutes at 4mph.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I don't run...I have no intention of ever running ...I am fit in other ways though

It's not compulsory to run
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Love for running can come through racing, trying to improve yourself or better times, or being social. It is such an easy thing to do with other people
  • drazani
    drazani Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    If you really want to run i also recommend the c25k program, i cannot run either, i have tried before and failed at the less than 30 second mark, however i have now got myself a pair of running shoes and did day 1 of c25k and thoroughly enjoyed it, it took me longer to do the 5k in walk/run intervals than it would have taken me to walk it, but I run for every one of the run intervals and feel so proud of myself for doing that, i now cannot wait until i can run the full 5k. Btw i am 221lb. :-)
  • lemonsurprise
    lemonsurprise Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I'll ever enjoy running but the fact that I cannot perform a basic human function really, really irritates me. Plus, who knows when I'll REALLY need to run. It's always going to be a "handy" thing to excel at.
    I'll pursue with what I'm doing but if 6 months down the line I still don't enjoy it BUT I can long distance run - I'll give up!
    Again, thanks for all the info everyone.