What do you do with your hair?

Options

Replies

• 122ish
    122ish Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    My hair has gotten damaged from pony tails so I just braid it and deal with it bothering me. Sometimes I do braid it and pin the braid up
  • Chickyjd
    Chickyjd Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I put it in a pony tail then use one of those hair clamps to pin it up away from my neck :)

As I have in pic! lol
  • holly273
    holly273 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    My hair is annoying because it's layered, so I usually like doing a low braid, but if I do the top/front parts come out. So, I generally pull all the front/top shorter bits together in a tighter braid down the back of my head, then pull it all in together to a plait from the top of my neck. That's for lifting, and it's good because it's out of the way but I can still lie on the bench. For cardio, I just take the plait and tie it into a bun. Oh, and TONS of bobby pins and clips all over the front and top to keep stray hairs in control. My hair can get a bit crazy. On the plus side, once I get sweaty enough it all sticks to my head anyway! Lovely.
  • OpenHeaven
    OpenHeaven Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    The bun is just so heavy that after a mile or so, it starts pulling the whole pony down and start bouncing until it has unwound itself. What's the best way to secure it so it doesn't do this? I have bunheads pins, spin pins, claw clips, they all come down at some point. My pony tail braid is down to my hip, so it likes to wrap itself on my arm as I run and then I pull it accidentally. Many have said high ponytail, but that equals 3 feet of hair bouncing and swishing around--not safe and a mess when finished. My hair is too thick and long for a French twist. Scrunchies? Scrunchies do not hold my hair for longer than a minute.

I try to do a bun or topknot, but if I am running or jumping, I have the same problem...it starts pulling which annoys me SO MUCH! LOL!!!! I have gotten to the point where I put it in a high ponytail and let it fly...it seems to be the best way to prevent pulling (but I feel your pain with the messy result after the workout!) Another tip to try....it works for me...put your hair into a high pony. Wrap that elastic tight. Braid your hair. Make a bun and secure the bun with another tight elastic (or a couple). I NEED to have that first elastic in there to really hold my hair up because I have so much of it...it anchors my hair to the top of my head. My hair is down to my lower/mid back BTW.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I did actually find large ponytails that are for THICK hair. I never thought my hair was that thick until I tried them. SO. MUCH. BETTER. than regular large ponies. They are the only things that will hold a ponytail the least bit securely for me. I might try a high braided bun, but what to secure it with? Has anyone tried multiple spin pins? I only have 2 large ones at the moment, but it might be worth investing in more if they will hold my bun.
  • faytherubea
    faytherubea Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My hair isn't long anymore - but I had it down to my waist for years. (Donated it & I am growing it back) Anyway - I braided it, then twisted it into a knot, & used a small metal barrette to anchor the end on top of my head. Only took me a few minutes & kept it in place. Even if it comes a little undone - it doesn't slap your neck or back. Hope this helps.
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Celebrate it's presence
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    What exactly is a top knot? Is it different than a bun? How do you secure it?
    0f9fe93aa36759fd6ad53ee45e95f7a3_zps2343d778.jpg
  • dbm037
    dbm037 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    cut it
  • musenchild
    musenchild Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Cut it off
  • perfkdrug
    perfkdrug Posts: 24
    Options
    low braid/ponytail tucked into your shirt or bra so it doesn't flap around
  • jmbond06
    jmbond06 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Sock bun. Best way to keep your hair up and it stays in place!
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I have pretty long hair, I put it in a pony tail, then I messy bun that pony tail. It falls out a lot and is annoying, but works better than smacking me with sweaty hair :)
  • koko12
    koko12 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    put your braid in a bun
  • WilmaDennis91
    WilmaDennis91 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    High ponytail or messy bun.
  • liznsmith
    liznsmith Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I have really thick hair that reaches my waist... and it's wavy.
    Before I work out I take a shower and put it up in a bun while it's still wet. This ensures that the bun will grow tighter as it dries.
    I french braid the hair along the frame of my face to ensure it stays out of my face =)
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Princess Leia buns.... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do the Princess Leia buns... Always wanted those growing up but never had enough hair.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Mine's shoulder length, so a ponytail for most things. When I'm doing weights with the trainer, I pull it part way back through the band so it loops, since squats involve the bar on your upper back.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I just leave mine down, but yours makes mine look short!!
  • yogaga1
    yogaga1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    My hair is about 3 or 4 inches longer than yours. I wish we could get away with top knots and buns! DONT use spin pins!!! I did this and nearly dug a hole in my head during a long run. Our hair is just too heavy for it!

I laughed at the braid slap- I get that all the time too. Have you done the "squat and accidentally clench your braid in your buttcheeks on the way up and snap your head back" move yet?? Yeeeeahhh....that sucked. Ha!

The best thing I have found is to do is a very low pony tail. Your hair is going to be a rats nest after you run, but at least you wont have black and blue marks from the braid slap!!! I spray my hair a few times with a detangler before I go out for my run so the brush through afterwards doesn't take hours.