YVW :)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    yes.
  • whiskeybiz11
    whiskeybiz11 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I liked when he got yelled at by Congress.

THIS. YES!! What a sell-out and snake oil salesman (I sound like my grandmother there!). Wonder what the (former) queen of daytime TV (Oprah) thinks of him now?!?

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    k8blujay2 wrote: »
    Dude, needs to stick to surgery and give up his day job as a snake oil salesman.

Snake Oil pays better :mrgreen:

That's true... but not THAT much better to totally dismantle your integrity as a physician... My Father in law was an anestheologist (spelling?) and he had a very comfortable life...
  • richardositosanchez
    richardositosanchez Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    He's an idiot!
  • dbmata
    Options
    Dude, needs to stick to surgery and give up his day job as a snake oil salesman.

Snake Oil pays better :mrgreen:

That's true... but not THAT much better to totally dismantle your integrity as a physician... My Father in law was an anestheologist (spelling?) and he had a very comfortable life...

Dollars to donuts ol Oz can buy a house per year your F-I-L was retired, off of the annual interest he earns from his SnakeOil Enterprises.

Being a huckster pays well.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    My impression of this guy is SNAKE OIL SALESMAN.
    Dr Oz is part of the weight loss skin game.
  • shutch2112
    shutch2112 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Truth.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    I can't watch more than 5 minutes of his show. I have a couple friends who (at least used to) love his show. Anytime they start a sentence with "Dr. Oz said..." I ask them what their doctor said. Does he or any of his team put any research into the products they're peddling or methods they're promoting. It doesn't seem like it.

Dr. Oz actually ignores research. My uncle is a tenured professor at the University of Chicago. A few years back Dr. Oz's partner who happened to be my uncles boss, approached my uncle to review their research related to their concept of "RealAge" and wanted him to be their partner. My uncle was unable to validate their data, said it was wrong, and refused to put his name on that product.

• SomeGirlSomewhere
    SomeGirlSomewhere Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    100% agree with you that Dr. Oz is a putz. I eat at least 50% of my daily calories late at night and have lost over 170 lbs in the past 13 months. Clearly he has NO idea what he is talking about!
  • blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    In for the yes- yes he is responses

because-- yes -- yes he is!
  • TinySeal95
    TinySeal95 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    He's full of crap. How the hell did he even get a PhD?? Furthermore, how the hell does he even get people to listen to him??
  • Phobos1618
    Options
    Dr. Oz is full of crap. That is true.

He's not actually entirely wrong about eating at night, though he may not know why. There is research that shows that the circadian rhythm does exist in humans and affects our hormones based on the time of day. Hormones control digestion, so the time of day does effect weight loss, calorie intake, nutrient absorption, etc.

This is not an easy ready and much of it is over my head , but I think it illustrates the point:

http://www.jci.org/articles/view/46043

Evidence for circadian integration of energetics, metabolism, and sleep in humans. In humans, many aspects of metabolism display circadian cycles, including 24-hour variation of glucose, insulin, and leptin levels (82, 83). Genome-wide association studies have also suggested connections between clock gene variation and fasting glucose levels (84, 85), obesity, and metabolic syndrome (86), raising interest in understanding the impact of circadian systems on human disease. One common clinical condition suggestive of interactions between circadian rhythms and metabolism in humans is that of shift work. Numerous reports have indicated that shift workers have a higher incidence of diabetes, obesity, and cardiovascular events (1, 87), although the mechanism underlying this association is uncertain. Scheer et al. recently tested the impact of forced circadian misalignment (a simulation of shift work) on neuroendocrine control of glucose metabolism and energetics (88). In participants subjected to circadian misalignment, the investigators observed hypoleptinemia, insulin resistance, inverted cortisol rhythms, and increased blood pressure (88). It is also interesting to note that patients with diabetes exhibit dampened amplitude of rhythms of glucose tolerance and insulin secretion (89); thus the relationship between circadian disruption and metabolic pathologies appears to be bidirectional in humans, suggesting that circadian disruption may lead to a vicious cycle and contribute to augmentation and progression of metabolic disease.

Direct genetic evidence in humans has linked the molecular clock with sleep (90, 91) through the positional cloning of mutations causing familial advanced sleep phase syndrome, which is characterized by early sleep onset and awakening (92). In the general population, observational studies have also found that short sleep, sleep deprivation, and poor sleep quality are associated with diabetes, metabolic syndrome (82, 93), hypoleptinemia, increased appetite, and obesity (94, 95). A recent study showed that sleep duration correlates with the magnitude of weight loss as fat in response to caloric restriction; short sleepers appear to have more difficulty losing fat compared to long sleepers despite similar amount of weight loss (96). Narcolepsy, a sleep disorder in which patients present with extreme daytime sleepiness due to loss of hypocretin-producing neurons (97, 98), has been associated with elevated BMI (99) and increased incidence of obesity (100, 101). Night eating syndrome (NES) is another instance in which disrupted rhythmic patterns of sleep and eating correlate with altered metabolism (102) and obesity (103). Patients with NES consume significantly more of their daily energy intake at night, although their total daily food intake is similar to that of control subjects (104, 105). They also have abnormal rhythms of metabolic hormones, including decreased nocturnal rise in leptin, a phase shift in insulin, cortisol, and ghrelin, and inverted 24-hour rhythms of blood glucose (104, 106). Interestingly, the nocturnal pattern of eating observed in NES patients is reminiscent of feeding alterations in the Clock mutant mouse. These animals exhibit increased feeding during the normal sleep period together with increased susceptibility to diet-induced obesity (107). A major goal is to determine whether the adverse metabolic consequences of sleep loss (and accompanying feeding alterations) are due to the disrupted circadian rhythms per se, to the altered sleep, or to some combination of the two. Nonetheless, the above observations in humans demonstrate that synchronization of feeding/fasting and active/rest periods with the environmental light/dark cycle influences body weight constancy.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Sooo what about us night shift workers that basically live at night. I Must be pretty screwed since that's when I eat ALL the calories!

I've never watched his show so I don't have first hand experience of his insanity but he sounds like an idiot.
  • Phobos1618
    Options
    Yes it will likely negatively impact you in the long run given the study I posted above.
  • dbmata
    Options
    change will likely to may.

Also, it's a review of published, existing data, and not a study. What I missed from it, was discussion of testing on humans. I'd take it with a grain of salt at that point.

There might be a correlation, there might not.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Phobos1618 wrote: »
    Dr. Oz is full of crap. That is true.

He's not actually entirely wrong about eating at night, though he may not know why. There is research that shows that the circadian rhythm does exist in humans and affects our hormones based on the time of day. Hormones control digestion, so the time of day does effect weight loss, calorie intake, nutrient absorption, etc.

This is not an easy ready and much of it is over my head , but I think it illustrates the point:

http://www.jci.org/articles/view/46043

Evidence for circadian integration of energetics, metabolism, and sleep in humans. In humans, many aspects of metabolism display circadian cycles, including 24-hour variation of glucose, insulin, and leptin levels (82, 83). Genome-wide association studies have also suggested connections between clock gene variation and fasting glucose levels (84, 85), obesity, and metabolic syndrome (86), raising interest in understanding the impact of circadian systems on human disease. One common clinical condition suggestive of interactions between circadian rhythms and metabolism in humans is that of shift work. Numerous reports have indicated that shift workers have a higher incidence of diabetes, obesity, and cardiovascular events (1, 87), although the mechanism underlying this association is uncertain. Scheer et al. recently tested the impact of forced circadian misalignment (a simulation of shift work) on neuroendocrine control of glucose metabolism and energetics (88). In participants subjected to circadian misalignment, the investigators observed hypoleptinemia, insulin resistance, inverted cortisol rhythms, and increased blood pressure (88). It is also interesting to note that patients with diabetes exhibit dampened amplitude of rhythms of glucose tolerance and insulin secretion (89); thus the relationship between circadian disruption and metabolic pathologies appears to be bidirectional in humans, suggesting that circadian disruption may lead to a vicious cycle and contribute to augmentation and progression of metabolic disease.

Direct genetic evidence in humans has linked the molecular clock with sleep (90, 91) through the positional cloning of mutations causing familial advanced sleep phase syndrome, which is characterized by early sleep onset and awakening (92). In the general population, observational studies have also found that short sleep, sleep deprivation, and poor sleep quality are associated with diabetes, metabolic syndrome (82, 93), hypoleptinemia, increased appetite, and obesity (94, 95). A recent study showed that sleep duration correlates with the magnitude of weight loss as fat in response to caloric restriction; short sleepers appear to have more difficulty losing fat compared to long sleepers despite similar amount of weight loss (96). Narcolepsy, a sleep disorder in which patients present with extreme daytime sleepiness due to loss of hypocretin-producing neurons (97, 98), has been associated with elevated BMI (99) and increased incidence of obesity (100, 101). Night eating syndrome (NES) is another instance in which disrupted rhythmic patterns of sleep and eating correlate with altered metabolism (102) and obesity (103). Patients with NES consume significantly more of their daily energy intake at night, although their total daily food intake is similar to that of control subjects (104, 105). They also have abnormal rhythms of metabolic hormones, including decreased nocturnal rise in leptin, a phase shift in insulin, cortisol, and ghrelin, and inverted 24-hour rhythms of blood glucose (104, 106). Interestingly, the nocturnal pattern of eating observed in NES patients is reminiscent of feeding alterations in the Clock mutant mouse. These animals exhibit increased feeding during the normal sleep period together with increased susceptibility to diet-induced obesity (107). A major goal is to determine whether the adverse metabolic consequences of sleep loss (and accompanying feeding alterations) are due to the disrupted circadian rhythms per se, to the altered sleep, or to some combination of the two. Nonetheless, the above observations in humans demonstrate that synchronization of feeding/fasting and active/rest periods with the environmental light/dark cycle influences body weight constancy.

Nope. I work nights, and have worked nights for the past 4 years. I sleep during the day. Other than being over weight (which I have successfully lost in the past) I am healthy. This is a load of crap.
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Oh really. Well I have dinner around 9-10pm most days but have been unsuccessful w/putting on a few lbs so maybe he can tell me what I'm doing wrong, lol.