Dr Oz is a putz.

Options

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Phobos1618 wrote: »
    Dr. Oz is full of crap. That is true.

He's not actually entirely wrong about eating at night, though he may not know why. There is research that shows that the circadian rhythm does exist in humans and affects our hormones based on the time of day. Hormones control digestion, so the time of day does effect weight loss, calorie intake, nutrient absorption, etc.

This is not an easy ready and much of it is over my head , but I think it illustrates the point:

http://www.jci.org/articles/view/46043

Evidence for circadian integration of energetics,... <snip>

I skimmed the article but this doesn't account for a calorie deficit I don't think so it doesn't apply. Are they magic calories at night? It may affect digestion and metabolic syndrome (ie. your health) in a sustained regimen but you can't get blood from a stone.

• Airportchick
    Airportchick Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    He looks like a grown up Eddie Munster.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    He looks like a grown up Eddie Munster.

He does. I never realized that before.

• leadslinger17
    leadslinger17 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Its a very basic statistics error to confuse correlation with causation. Eating calories at night and weight gain do correlate, but not because eating calories at night is the cause - just because many people who do that probably have other habits that are the cause (overeating, eating junk, etc).

I once read this study that mothers who eat blueberries during pregnancy were X times as likely to have a healthy child as mothers who dont. It's not that eating blueberries during pregnancy magically protect your child from sickness for their life, but probably the type of mother that has the financial means and makes the healthy decision to eat fresh fruits during pregnancy is probably also the type of mother that would provide their child with similar nutrition throughout childhood. And that is what makes the kid healthy.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Oh, you guys are so darned mean talking bad about Dr. Oz!

o-DR-OZ-facebook.jpg

No really. Just wanted to stir things up.

He is a big putz.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    synchrony7 wrote: »
    Its a very basic statistics error to confuse correlation with causation. Eating calories at night and weight gain do correlate, but not because eating calories at night is the cause - just because many people who do that probably have other habits that are the cause (overeating, eating junk, etc).

I once read this study that mothers who eat blueberries during pregnancy were X times as likely to have a healthy child as mothers who dont. It's not that eating blueberries during pregnancy magically protect your child from sickness for their life, but probably the type of mother that has the financial means and makes the healthy decision to eat fresh fruits during pregnancy is probably also the type of mother that would provide their child with similar nutrition throughout childhood. And that is what makes the kid healthy.
    Yes. More shark attacks happen on the beach when the ice cream stands are open (in the summer).
    I guess to reduce shark attacks we should close the ice cream and banana stands...
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Debmal77 wrote: »
    Would really like to tell him where to put his green coffee bean extract, raspberry ketone and garcinia cambogia :s

in with the toilet yoga, obviously. B)
  • fozzgate2
    Options
    He is not correct but I would never eat a hugh meal and then go to bed. Every person is different so it may be true for one person but not all. I can not eat for two hours before bed are I gain. So I know my limits and that is what I stick to. I refuse to watch him. He has no clue.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    TinySeal95 wrote: »
    He's full of crap. How the hell did he even get a PhD?? Furthermore, how the hell does he even get people to listen to him??

We have Oprah to thank for his popularity (and his new TV series that will be on her network).
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Whatever, raspberry ketones are amazing. I just sit on the couch all day....
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    DjinnMarie wrote: »

you do realize that raspberry keytones have NEVER been proven to do anything?

I'm pretty sure she was being a smart @rse.

• DjinnMarie
    Options

I don't need science for proof. I eat and eat and eat, take raspberry ketones, watch soaps day and lose weight and build muscle. That's all the proof I need. Lol at those who exercise and eat healthy.
  • DjinnMarie
    Options

I don't need science for proof. I eat and eat and eat, take raspberry ketones, watch soaps day and lose weight and build muscle. That's all the proof I need. Lol at those who exercise and eat healthy.

and they are in better shape than you...lol. Go ahead and keep fooling yourself.

This may be true, but they don't look better than me naked. And that's all that matters.

• DjinnMarie
    Options

and they are in better shape than you...lol. Go ahead and keep fooling yourself.

This may be true, but they don't look better than me naked. And that's all that matters.

um...I'm sure they do.

You've seen me naked? Was that you rustling my bushes last night? Mirin my delts??
  • SamanthaKersul
    SamanthaKersul Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    While I agree he is not correct on a number of things, many posters are complaining that he promotes nutritional supplements that he actually doesn't. He did an entire episode {one of the few I've actually seen} talking about how companies are using his picture and name illegally to promote their products. Green coffee bean extract being one of the many. He actually asked viewers to send photos and details to the show when they come across these promotions in the stores so he can contact the store/company and take legal action. Just wanted to help set the record straight on one aspect of this thread.