Diet Drinks. Double D's.

Options

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    For everyone who didn't like my response, I never said that regular sodas are good for you. But you'll notice that the original poster asked what the potential harm of diet drinks/artificial sweeteners could be. If it's working out for you, great. But this post wasn't "let's defend artificial sweeteners and lambast someone who offers an actual answer to the question asked." At least, that's not what the original post said when I read it.

I'm sure they're very interested since they asked a year ago.

awww aren't you sweet

You're salty.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    @Hornsby and @ninerbuff, just because you don't like the one article I posted, the research isn't quackery. And I have no idea what the ADA has to do with knowledge of the effects of artificial sweeteners on any part of the body except teeth. We weren't talking about teeth. This isn't "my dental pal" for god's sake. If you'd like for me to dig up more articles, fun. I'm game. Interesting though that ALL (not some, ALL) of my friends who are registered dietitians caution against diet sodas based on insulin response alone. My sister in law, a geneticist at St Jude Children's Research Hospital, countless friends in medicine (not just "personal trainers who have studied nutrition and kinesiology") say the same thing.
    Again, if it's working for you, have fun. But don't act like the evidence isn't there just because you don't like it.

I am not sure you fully understand what insulin is.. your body releases it, every time you eat carbs and protein. Does it cause you to stop burning fat, yes.. but your body will cycle before fat burning and fat storing. Insulin also reduces hunger signals and many other things. Maybe you should read up on insulin. Below is a good start.

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

I was just getting ready to post that.

To the thread in general on the subject of insulin, "fat storage mode" as something that exists as a thing unto itself on a permanent level outside of energy balance doesn't exist. Insulin and how it works, with all the press out there from various sources, is totally misunderstood.

If you're eating too many calories, you'll gain weight, whether you're drinking diet soda or not.

If you're not eating too many calories, you won't gain weight, even if you're drinking diet soda.

This has nothing to do with insulin.

I'm going to go have some diet Dr. Pepper. I've lost a total of almost 60 pounds, 55 here on MFP. I think I've got a handle on this thing.

• mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Revives an old thread, goes on rampage calling others fools while looking foolish themselves. Well done goose!!!
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I would personally rather put water in my body or eat a hydrating fruit than drink a bottle full of carbonated chemicals. In the long run you probably won't notice much of a difference, but if I can avoid things produced in a lab in favor of things produced in nature, why not. :)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I would personally rather put water in my body or eat a hydrating fruit than drink a bottle full of carbonated chemicals. In the long run you probably won't notice much of a difference, but if I can avoid things produced in a lab in favor of things produced in nature, why not. :)

Do people typically need much justification for non-harmful pleasures?
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

Notice a difference in what?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of diet Dr. Pepper or other diet sodas when that isn't available and diet teas. It's the sodium content that is bad.

This is a myth. The sodium contents of diet sodas are no different to regular sodas and neither are much different to most other drinks, including tap water.

You can actually get as much sodium in your tap water if you use a water softener than you would get in most sodas, diet or otherwise. The obvious difference is "mixers" like club soda and tonic water.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    FitFroglet wrote: »
    "In 20 minutes: The soda can trigger the production of insulin in your body"
    I wish this were true, I'm a Type 1 diabetic.
    Maybe I'm not drinking enough diet drinks...

yeah. I am T2Dm and I test often, sometimes just for the curiosity to see what different foods do to my blood sugar. I have seen no rise in my glucose numbers after drinking a diet soda. I tested just before drinking it and every 15 minutes afterwards for an hour. No spike.

• booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    @And I have no idea what the ADA has to do with knowledge of the effects of artificial sweeteners on any part of the body except teeth. We weren't talking about teeth. This isn't "my dental pal" for god's sake.

kue0hlnat1bd.png

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Insulin for diabetics is produced in a lab.
    Cyanide is produced in nature.
  • tschlach
    tschlach Posts: 33 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    My opinion. I drink 1 diet Pepsi a day. I have fibromyalgia. I quit drinking the diet soda because I read that it could cause symptoms of fibro, lupus, and other similar conditions. I quit drinking diet soda for quite some time. Symptoms never went away. I started drinking my 1 a day again. Yes they say it can cause cancer but really what doesn't. Everything in moderation is how I look at it.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    peaty.jpg
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Insulin is made by bacteria
    Nice try though
    Scientists at Genentech and City of Hope inserted synthetic genes carrying the genetic code for human insulin, along with the necessary control mechanism, into an E. coli bacterial strain which is a laboratory derivative of a common bacteria found in the human intestine. Once inside the bacteria, the genes were "switched-on" by the bacteria to translate the code into either "A" or "B" protein chains found in insulin. The separate chains were then joined to construct complete insulin molecules.

It may be done in bacteria, but it's done in a lab with scientists manipulating the bacteria's DNA. It's not something that is naturally occurring.

http://www.diabeteswellbeing.com/synthetic-insulin/
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Insulin is made by bacteria
    Nice try though

So the pharma companies go find bacteria out in the wild and harvest it for insulin (not in a sterile lab)? Is that honestly what you are suggesting?!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    FitFroglet wrote: »
    "In 20 minutes: The soda can trigger the production of insulin in your body"
    I wish this were true, I'm a Type 1 diabetic.
    Maybe I'm not drinking enough diet drinks...

yeah. I am T2Dm and I test often, sometimes just for the curiosity to see what different foods do to my blood sugar. I have seen no rise in my glucose numbers after drinking a diet soda. I tested just before drinking it and every 15 minutes afterwards for an hour. No spike.

This seems to vary by individual. I have more than a few diabetics in my family. Some of them see a spike with diet drinks and some don't.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I want to test this out. I have a blood sugar tester. What do I do? Just drink the soda and check my blood sugar 30 minutes later?
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I want to test this out. I have a blood sugar tester. What do I do? Just drink the soda and check my blood sugar 30 minutes later?

I would take your sugar before you drink the diet soda, then in ten minute increments for maybe 1/2 hour. so 10 min after, 20 min after and 30 min after. If you have that many test strips.