Diet Drinks. Double D's.

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/261179.php

Artificial sweeteners cause a spike in blood sugar, as well as an elevated insulin response, which turns off the brain's receptors that tell the body to stop storing fat. This insulin response can lead to diabetes.

STOP DRINKING DIET SODA. Unless, of course, you're trying to get fat and acquire a fun case of diabetes.
    Lol, totally opposite of what the ADA recommends.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,066 Member
    Options
    To be fair, that was posted when the thread was current in 2014 - it is the post after which drags it up.

The one which drags up a year old thread to shout at us all not to drink diet soda because it will make us fat and diabetic.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I prefer just water with lemon or green tea I make myself.
    My trust for anything that comes in a can, box or bag is close to nil.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i have at least one diet coke a day.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,119 Member
    Options

Artificial sweeteners cause a spike in blood sugar, as well as an elevated insulin response, which turns off the brain's receptors that tell the body to stop storing fat. This insulin response can lead to diabetes.

STOP DRINKING DIET SODA. Unless, of course, you're trying to get fat and acquire a fun case of diabetes.

And the people who drink diet soda while consistently losing weight? They are magic?

I must be magic!! :smiley:

• rebeccahunt718
    rebeccahunt718 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of diet Dr. Pepper or other diet sodas when that isn't available and diet teas. It's the sodium content that is bad.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

So, by "trying to get fat" do you mean "lose 116 pounds"? Because that's the way it actually worked out for me. And by "acquire a fun case of diabetes" do you mean mean "drastically improve all your blood work such that your doctor wants to put you on a poster in his waiting room"? Because, yeah, that's how it worked out for me, too.

"Chemicals." Wow. Just wow.

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,066 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of diet Dr. Pepper or other diet sodas when that isn't available and diet teas. It's the sodium content that is bad.

This is a myth. The sodium contents of diet sodas are no different to regular sodas and neither are much different to most other drinks, including tap water.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Just cause every "Chemicals are bad" post needs this photo or one similar...

we-love-chemicals-620-450x636.jpg

Thank you! In for double d's.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    50sFit wrote: »
    Most of these drinks are laced with chemicals galore as well as caffeine.

Everything we eat is made up of chemicals....everything.
    Then you can go ahead and eat everything....everything... o:)

I do, except beets. The chemicals they are loaded with makes them taste disgusting.
    Try mixing beets with better chemicals to improve the flavor.

My family does....just can't cover up that flavor of dirt.

Beets? As in beetroot? The bright red stuff? The stuff that's awesome on burgers or sliced up as a side?
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Seems like a whole lot of scare tactics.

The way I imagine it going is some guy is like "don't drink diet coke, it is full of chemicals" while smoking a cigarette or something similar.

• Primmalim
    Primmalim Posts: 13 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    If you feel fine drinking them then by all means, go ahead. I tend to avoid them because something in them upsets my stomach but I know that's not the case for everyone.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners...

...are awesome! I agree completely!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Not a thing is wrong with them. Personally, I don't like the after taste.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    RGv2 wrote: »
    Most of these drinks are laced with chemicals galore as well as caffeine.

Everything we eat is made up of chemicals....everything.
    Then you can go ahead and eat everything....everything... o:)

I do, except beets. The chemicals they are loaded with makes them taste disgusting.
    Try mixing beets with better chemicals to improve the flavor.

My family does....just can't cover up that flavor of dirt.

Beets? As in beetroot? The bright red stuff? The stuff that's awesome on burgers or sliced up as a side?

Beets...as in pickled beets.....that no matter how pickled they are still taste like dirt.
  • goosebeartalk
    goosebeartalk Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    For everyone who didn't like my response, I never said that regular sodas are good for you. But you'll notice that the original poster asked what the potential harm of diet drinks/artificial sweeteners could be. If it's working out for you, great. But this post wasn't "let's defend artificial sweeteners and lambast someone who offers an actual answer to the question asked." At least, that's not what the original post said when I read it.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    For everyone who didn't like my response, I never said that regular sodas are good for you. But you'll notice that the original poster asked what the potential harm of diet drinks/artificial sweeteners could be. If it's working out for you, great. But this post wasn't "let's defend artificial sweeteners and lambast someone who offers an actual answer to the question asked." At least, that's not what the original post said when I read it.

When you answer questions with quackery, you will get quackery in return. You basically said that people who drink diet soda are going to get diabetes and get fat. How do you think the people that are lean as hell and drink diet soda are giong to take that?