Diet Drinks. Double D's.

Options

Replies

• curvy_gamer_loses
    curvy_gamer_loses Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I don't care if people drink it, as long as I don't have to.
  • FitFroglet
    FitFroglet Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    "In 20 minutes: The soda can trigger the production of insulin in your body"
    I wish this were true, I'm a Type 1 diabetic.
    Maybe I'm not drinking enough diet drinks...
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners.

Nothing wrong with those, or diet sodas. It's all about personal preference.
  • goosebeartalk
    goosebeartalk Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    @Hornsby and @ninerbuff, just because you don't like the one article I posted, the research isn't quackery. And I have no idea what the ADA has to do with knowledge of the effects of artificial sweeteners on any part of the body except teeth. We weren't talking about teeth. This isn't "my dental pal" for god's sake. If you'd like for me to dig up more articles, fun. I'm game. Interesting though that ALL (not some, ALL) of my friends who are registered dietitians caution against diet sodas based on insulin response alone. My sister in law, a geneticist at St Jude Children's Research Hospital, countless friends in medicine (not just "personal trainers who have studied nutrition and kinesiology") say the same thing.
    Again, if it's working for you, have fun. But don't act like the evidence isn't there just because you don't like it.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    When I gave up all sugar it included the fake ones too. No science was involved but just seemed logical at the time and still does. Water is the only natural drink I know about. :)

I do drink coffee and tea but no sweetener of any type. I do put coconut oil and heavy whipping cream into my coffee.
  • goosebeartalk
    Options
    I enjoyed this article, but it doesn't even get into any issues other than bladder infections (briefly) and focuses mainly on cancer risk, not on nutritional response within the body.
  • goosebeartalk
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    For everyone who didn't like my response, I never said that regular sodas are good for you. But you'll notice that the original poster asked what the potential harm of diet drinks/artificial sweeteners could be. If it's working out for you, great. But this post wasn't "let's defend artificial sweeteners and lambast someone who offers an actual answer to the question asked." At least, that's not what the original post said when I read it.

When you answer questions with quackery, you will get quackery in return. You basically said that people who drink diet soda are going to get diabetes and get fat. How do you think the people that are lean as hell and drink diet soda are giong to take that?
    Take it however you like
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @Hornsby and @ninerbuff, just because you don't like the one article I posted, the research isn't quackery. And I have no idea what the ADA has to do with knowledge of the effects of artificial sweeteners on any part of the body except teeth. We weren't talking about teeth. This isn't "my dental pal" for god's sake. If you'd like for me to dig up more articles, fun. I'm game. Interesting though that ALL (not some, ALL) of my friends who are registered dietitians caution against diet sodas based on insulin response alone. My sister in law, a geneticist at St Jude Children's Research Hospital, countless friends in medicine (not just "personal trainers who have studied nutrition and kinesiology") say the same thing.
    Again, if it's working for you, have fun. But don't act like the evidence isn't there just because you don't like it.
    The ADA is the American DIABETES Association.

And here please. http://examine.com/faq/do-artificial-sweeteners-spike-insulin.html
  • Sean_TheITGuy
    Sean_TheITGuy Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    50sFit wrote: »
    Most of these drinks are laced with chemicals galore as well as caffeine.

Everything we eat is made up of chemicals....everything.
    Then you can go ahead and eat everything....everything... o:)

I do, except beets. The chemicals they are loaded with makes them taste disgusting.
    Try mixing beets with better chemicals to improve the flavor.

My family does....just can't cover up that flavor of dirt.

My family is from Eastern Canada. Here they pickle beets. Beets and turnips are about all that they could get to grown in Newfoundland, so they used to grow beets, then chop them up and boil them in vinegar, then bottle them. So basically they just taste like pickles, with only a minor side of dirt.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2015
    Options

I am not sure you fully understand what insulin is.. your body releases it, every time you eat carbs and protein. Does it cause you to stop burning fat, yes.. but your body will cycle before fat burning and fat storing. Insulin also reduces hunger signals and many other things. Maybe you should read up on insulin. Below is a good start.

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

So you don't know what the ADA is and you have no idea what insulin does in the body? That's basically all you are saying here...
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/261179.php

Artificial sweeteners cause a spike in blood sugar, as well as an elevated insulin response, which turns off the brain's receptors that tell the body to stop storing fat. This insulin response can lead to diabetes.

STOP DRINKING DIET SODA. Unless, of course, you're trying to get fat and acquire a fun case of diabetes.

That's not accurate. There's no sugar in the soda, and there's no calories. It's 100% impossible for this drink to make you fat.

Besides, what credibility is there in the article, which just links you back to other articles, within that website? Where's the peer reviewed articles to substantiate your claim?

Wow. So, just because your sis-in-law is a geneticist and you have pals in medicine, we are supposed to just believe your claim (see above, it's copied verbatim :)) that drinking diet soda causes you to get fat and to get diabetes?

Well, you lost me. :D

Overconsumption of calories makes us fat, and diet soda has no calories.

Also, sugar or insulin spikes do not cause diabetes. Genetics and obesity are big factors. Here is a link on diabetes basics you might want to read. :)
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Thread was originally from October of 2014?
    ThreadNecromancer.jpg
    I summon Examine.com's well sourced article in attack mode:
    http://examine.com/faq/is-diet-soda-bad-for-you.html
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Aspartame can be a migraine trigger. If that's not a problem for you, then there is likely nothing wrong with them for you. They've been fairly extensively studied.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I actually JUST started drinking diet soda. I never drank regular much and definitely not diet. I'm excited about it personally. The diet A&W root beer...yeah.

Favorite diet soda right there, and my husband likes it too. It satisfies cravings for sweets, and since I'm consistently losing weight, it's working out for me. These studies don't generally say that results occur 100% of the time.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    For everyone who didn't like my response, I never said that regular sodas are good for you. But you'll notice that the original poster asked what the potential harm of diet drinks/artificial sweeteners could be. If it's working out for you, great. But this post wasn't "let's defend artificial sweeteners and lambast someone who offers an actual answer to the question asked." At least, that's not what the original post said when I read it.

I'm sure they're very interested since they asked a year ago.