Diet Drinks. Double D's.

Options

Replies

• caminoslo
    caminoslo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with diet drinks?
    I drink diet coke once maybe twice a week and I drink diet iced teas 2-4 times a week. I heard that diet drinks are bad for you but why?
    I don't have any urges to eat more like some people said is the effect of diet drinks. Also, I have have been losing body fat. So what's the real harm of diet drinks?

Tell me why does anyone have to make a TEa diet? if you just get your favorite tea bag and put it in ice cold water its great
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    If you can handle them, I have zero criticism for you. Good for you. They have a horrible, awful effect on me, one that I think has helped me pack on the pounds. I didn't want to even consider the possibility that the study that found that artificial sweeteners could be linked to weight gain. (webmd.com/food-recipes/news/20130710/could-artificial-sweeteners-cause-weight-gain) I loved Diet Coke, and I was going to drink it and don't even tell me I shouldn't.

But, I decided to go without my Diet Coke, among other cuts, to save a little grocery money. I took my kids to a pool party, where they served Diet Coke. A couple of hours later, I was hungry and could not be satisfied. Since that time corresponded with the beginnings of my attempt at losing weight, I realized that diet soda was going to be one of the things I'd have to give up for the rest of my life. I say that, because, even when I reach my goal, returning to the habits that got me fat will only serve to get me fat again. *sigh*
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Everything is bad for you.

• raw_meal
    raw_meal Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Check this out. Not sure if this is a good study but it could be an issue.
    Gut Bacteria, Artificial Sweeteners and Glucose Intolerance

wis-wander.weizmann.ac.il/gut-bacteria-artificial-sweeteners-and-glucose-intolerance#.VD7iWmLF-yX
  • mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I too have heard many times that diet sodas cause some people to crave sugar and indulge more often than they should. It does not seem that this is the case with you, so don't worry about it!
    We always had diet soda in our home while I was growing up and I have never had an issue with it either; it does not make me want any more food than I want without it. In fact I have, at points in my life, been a person who consumed 3-4 diet sodas a day and was 5'6" and a 122 lbs, so quite slim. However, I have seemingly developed stomach issues when I consume a lot of fake sweeteners and therefore try to stay away from them during the week, and really only drink diet soda as a mixer for alcohol or on special occasions.
    Do what works for you!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    vettim16 wrote: »
    I do think it's a personal choice. I agree with 50's fit, they are loaded with chemicals
    Actually an apple has more.
    The problem is the argument about chemicals is pretty invalid since everything we eat and drink is comprised of them. The whole "if you can't pronounce it, you shouldn't eat it" is another fallacy since many natural foods have chemicals that the average person couldn't pronounce without a dictionary.
    It is a personal choice though. I just think that people should make the choice once they KNOW the actual truth about them though.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Just cause every "Chemicals are bad" post needs this photo or one similar...

we-love-chemicals-620-450x636.jpg
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I rather drink the regular stuff, not diet drinks. They just taste much better. :D
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    If my diet coke is going to kill me, I've made my peace with it.

I'd rather die sooner with it, than live longer without them!!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    i'd drink diet soda if it didn't taste so horrid.

All I got. wish it tasted better, I love me some strawberry soda.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    i'd drink diet soda if it didn't taste so horrid.

All I got. wish it tasted better, I love me some strawberry soda.

If you ever get a chance get Tommy Knockers Strawberry soda. It's freakin' awesome. There beer is good but the Strawberry soda awesome. But yeah, NOT diet.
  • Ruzuki
    Ruzuki Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    The reason people say its bad has something to do with your body thinking you are eating sugar and messing up your insulin. Something along those lines. I never paid much attention because I hate how all soda tastes anyways >.>
  • goosebeartalk
    goosebeartalk Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/261179.php

Artificial sweeteners cause a spike in blood sugar, as well as an elevated insulin response, which turns off the brain's receptors that tell the body to stop storing fat. This insulin response can lead to diabetes.

STOP DRINKING DIET SODA. Unless, of course, you're trying to get fat and acquire a fun case of diabetes.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/261179.php

Artificial sweeteners cause a spike in blood sugar, as well as an elevated insulin response, which turns off the brain's receptors that tell the body to stop storing fat. This insulin response can lead to diabetes.

STOP DRINKING DIET SODA. Unless, of course, you're trying to get fat and acquire a fun case of diabetes.

And the people who drink diet soda while consistently losing weight? They are magic?
  • marykate_1203
    marykate_1203 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    There's research that will tell you that everything is bad for you. Do what you wish!
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    @goosebeartalk ONE study with a miniscule amount of participants does not equal valid, concrete scientific data.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I actually JUST started drinking diet soda. I never drank regular much and definitely not diet. I'm excited about it personally. The diet A&W root beer...yeah.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Ruzuki wrote: »
    The reason people say its bad has something to do with your body thinking you are eating sugar and messing up your insulin. Something along those lines. I never paid much attention because I hate how all soda tastes anyways >.>

wow for somebody who doesn't pay attention to it, and hating soda, it is strange to dig up such an old thread
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    A lot of people don't like the artificial sweeteners that most of them contain. I don't usually drink most of the "mainstream" diet sodas like diet coke and Pepsi, and stuff that uses sweeteners like sucralose and aspartame, but I do drink ones like Honest Fizz and Zevia, which are both sweetened with stevia, on occasion. For the most part, though, I just drink water, tea, and coffee. If I'm craving something fizzy, I usually just drnk a glass of my homemade kombucha. Cheap, yummy, and good for me! :)