I have been OFFENDED and everyone needs to KNOW IT!

Options

Replies

• EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Right now I get really offended when people don't add the -ly to adjectives. For instance, "That hurts so bad" I just cringe. I also hate things like "I did good", apparently not!
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    bugs.gif

Hard G, soft G,
    As long as well all agree,
    There is a G spot.

Was that a haiku?
  • april_mesk
    april_mesk Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I just want to say I'm really happy to see so many fellow Massholes in this thread. And I hope you all know I mean that in the best way possible.

I am not offended by "Masshole" as I do, at times, resemble the word. ;)
  • beyondjupiter
    beyondjupiter Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Maybe off topic? I had to look up how to spell colonel. Seriously. There is no R in colonel? Like CUR-NEL Sanders from KFC?

The only thing I can figure is *ahem* *deep south accent in place* coooo(r)l-nooool Sanders.
  • staplebug
    staplebug Posts: 189
    Options
    "cumferbull" instead of "comfortable"
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    "cumferbull" instead of "comfortable"

Agreed.
  • LisaMarie8713
    LisaMarie8713 Posts: 310
    Options
    When someone says "Pacific" instead of "specific".

I scream inside when I hear that. Like I'm sorry, I didn't realize we were talking about the ocean...

My coworker does that! And says "flustrated", as if flustered and frustrated had a baby....

It used to be funny, now it just irritates me.

I would advocate the inclusion of the word flustrated into the lexicon. Also, I very rarely like short hair on women but you look really good with short hair; it totally works on you.

Thank you! :)

This gal also says suposably... really!! $#*^$#*

So about Indiana, my boss says "warsh" instead of wash and she says "winda" instead of window. Lol, cracks me up every time!
  • MainahGirl
    MainahGirl Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I
  • laurabeth326
    laurabeth326 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Maybe off topic? I had to look up how to spell colonel. Seriously. There is no R in colonel? Like CUR-NEL Sanders from KFC?

The only thing I can figure is *ahem* *deep south accent in place* coooo(r)l-nooool Sanders.

It comes from the word's French origin. Though I'm not positive exactly how. (I looked it up once)
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    My friend says each time he hears the word " Crotchety" he feels super itchy.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    The one that always drives me up the wall is LOYyer instead of LAWyer. If you can't enunciate lawyer please just say attorney.

The correct pronunciation is closer to LOYer than LAWyer.

I'm also one of the offenders who mispronounces words I've read in books. The correct pronunciation of "plethora" was helpfully pointed out to me by my LOYyer.
  • beyondjupiter
    beyondjupiter Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is a southern thing either but I heard a lot of "warsher".

Do you need to use the warsher to warsh your clothes?
  • BenchPressingCats
    BenchPressingCats Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    I pronounce the silent "l" in "walk," "talk," and "calm."

In my English class in 8th grade, we had a crossword puzzle that was the phonetic spelling of words and one of them was "com" which really confused me because I just thought of dot com, not "calm." My teacher had to explain to me that the "l" is supposed to be silent, but people in the Midwest pronounce it anyway.

Oh, and I say "collar" like "color."
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options

yes it is! i hear it all the time. Im in Nashville.
  • BenchPressingCats
    Options

My college is near Colonel Glenn Highway and my friend always says "coll-in-al" and I want to correct her, but I know it wouldn't work.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    When someone says "Pacific" instead of "specific".

I scream inside when I hear that. Like I'm sorry, I didn't realize we were talking about the ocean...

My coworker does that! And says "flustrated", as if flustered and frustrated had a baby....

It used to be funny, now it just irritates me.

I would advocate the inclusion of the word flustrated into the lexicon. Also, I very rarely like short hair on women but you look really good with short hair; it totally works on you.

Thank you! :)

This gal also says suposably... really!! $#*^$#*

So about Indiana, my boss says "warsh" instead of wash and she says "winda" instead of window. Lol, cracks me up every time!

Being a born and bred resident of Southeastern Massachusetts, I frequently backslide into the accent of my youth. I actually made a conscious decision that I would learn to speak with a General American accent in elementary school but when I'm around people who have the accent, I instantly re-adopt it.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I love the pronunciation and grammar Nazi thread!

"I hereby rename Canada as Canadia."

We have always called it Canadia in our family. It is the logical extension of it being part of America.

I am deeply offended by "Feb-ewe-ary". It is MY month and it has TWO RS! Get it right, you month-mispronouncers!

Oh, and may I add STRAYA!! for solidarity purposes.
  • BenchPressingCats
    Options

yes it is! i hear it all the time. Im in Nashville.

I heard it all the time in Indiana

I also heard a lot of "A-rab" for "Arab" and "Nu-cu-lar" as "Nuclear."
    Thanks, Bush.
  • StephTanis
    StephTanis Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    How about "nother?" As in "a whole nother one" drives me crazy. It is ANOTHER not "a nother." It would be "a whole OTHER one." They even say it in movies and tv shows. Just sounds ignorant.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I am offended by nuke-yu-lar war and a certain past president of mine who said it that way every time.

I am offended by double prepositions. Don't jump off of it. Just jump off it.

I am offended by men who have trouble with their prostrate.

I am offended by those who don't know nuthn'. Because they really know everything.