Why am i turning into a vegetarian?

Options

Replies

• weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I can go a couple of days without eating meat and hardly notice it. I usually have one serving or less a day. Mostly because it is expensive and I'm on a college student budget. I do keep frozen chicken and salmon and will usually have that for dinner.
  • habit365
    habit365 Posts: 174
    Options
    I am eating more meat since I'm shooting for 100+g of protein per day for satiety and muscle retention while losing weight. If I eat according to my whim I eat much less protein so I have to focus on it. I am also eating more vegetables (I tend toward being a crapcarbarian if I don't watch it).
  • JaelenSnow
    JaelenSnow Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    "I'm becoming more vegetarian"
    I'm just using the adult term for it. OP's an omni.

"Why am I turning into a vegetarian?"
  • svpracer
    Options
    when we stopped "eating out" we did the same thing. Consumed considerably less meat. chicken is the staple for protein in our home, my GF wont eat fish. We both love red meat, we just do not buy because of the cost. Lots of salads, soups, and pasta's with meatless sauces (Blasphemy). I supplement about via shakes and bars.
  • thinkpositive92
    thinkpositive92 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    oh and fyi.... if you're eating chicken and fish, you're not turning into a vegetarian, be careful with your terminology..... if you chose to eat only fish that may make you a pescatarian, please learn about dietary preferences to include proper terminolgy, it is a good thing to be knowledgable about on this site.

...........popping popcorn...................

^ You needa chill! :cookie:

And I totally agree OP! Definitely less work in the kitchen eating more veg :relieved:

nope- it's a totally correct statement. Saying you eat fish and chicken and you start calling yourself a vegetarian is just flat out incorrect.

If you are eating meat- you aren't a vegetarian- you don't need a label for "I only eat meat once in a while" it just makes you a person who only eats meat once in a while. not a vegetarian.

Secondly- HELL NO. I love meat way to much to ever give it up. I try to aim for at least 2 meals a day that are meat based.

Just to clarify I am pretty sure the OP said "turning into a vegetarian" Meaning that they feel that they are beginning to exclude meat more and more.. So yes they may eat meat now and are not necessarily vegetarian at the moment, they are expressing their concern, or stating that they feel they are BECOMING one.. not that they have already.

^ Thank you!!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I actually started eating more Dead Animal [TM] when I was losing in an effort to keep up the protein, but I've always eaten a lot of veggies anyway. Now that I'm in maintainence I'm reintroducing vegetarian main courses because I really like them.

This, except I'm not quite to maintenance yet.

I've never found that calories or health reasons prompted me to eat less meat or limit my choices to fish and chicken (although I've always eaten lots of fish and chicken), and for me vegetables and meat aren't remotely a trade off, but go well together. Lots of my quick vegetarian meals were rice or pasta based, and my trend when losing has been to eat less of those, though I still eat everything.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    The healthier I eat and become, I find myself naturally eating less meat. At this point, the only meat I usually have is fish and chicken. It works out because it allows me to eat more with way less calories and a lot cheaper for the most part. Anyone else feel like this?

No...there's nothing unhealthy about meat...in fact, if you don't eat meat you should be supplementing B vitamins...also protein is pretty awesome. I actually eat more lean meats and poultry and fish than I used to...particularly fish and salmon...mmmmmm

• musiche
    musiche Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Good for all of you with eating less meat! The Western diet is completely messed up when you look at:

a) the rest of the globe,
    b) evolution of humans, and
    c) our health.

We were never, ever meant to eat this much meat or animal protein and fat (butter, milk, cheese, eggs)--not at every meal, not every day, not even every week. The majority of the planet's human beings eat a plant-based diet, and it's only the western world that relies so heavily on animals (animal protein and fat). Plant-based cultures live longer, incur less disease, and recover from disease where modern medicine fails.

It's also only westerners who have a 50/50 chance of dying from heart disease (yes, that 1 out of 2 of us will die from heart disease), and the rest primarily dying from cancer and diabetes--ALL of which are directly caused BY OUR DIET. With cultures that eat plant based diets (most of the rest of the world), heart disease, cancer and diabetes are uncommon. As these huge populations gravitate towards a western diet (Asia, India, Japan, Thailand, etc..), they are not only getting fat like us, but they are going from next to no heart disease/cancer/diabetes, to rates just like ours.

We desperately NEED to stop consuming so much meat, dairy and eggs--we're killing ourselves at an astounding rate, not to mention we're killing the planet with all of our factory farms (methane (from the 1.5 billion cows crapping tons of poop every single day, plus pigs, chickens, sheep, etc.) is 21 times (not percent) more efficient at capturing UV raise and heating up the planet than CO2). Factory farming is the leading cause of global warming, not CO2, deforestation or automobiles.

Me personally--I ate meat and animal products for 32 years. I had the Standard American Diet (SAD). For the last three years, I was focused on a high-protein diet full of animal products (Atkins diet - note Dr. Atkins himself was fat, out of shape and died of heart disease). I ate a ton of fish, greek yogurt, milk, chicken, turkey, etc.. Lean protein, whole grains, fruits and vegetables. The 'usual' diet foods, always restricting my calories. My health, in the last three years, has been horrendous (not to mention I've yoyo'd with my weight and after three years actually weighed 20 pounds MORE than when I started). Looking back on it now, when I feel so great and am doing so well, I was suffering and I didn't even know the half of it...

Four months ago I went vegetarian, and two weeks after that I went vegan (I just felt like going there). The profound effect is has on your health is amazing. Even more so, the effect is has on your mentality, your moods, and your ENERGY LEVELS is incredible! Not to mention, I've never known a vegan or vegetarian who didn't lose weight.

• musiche
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    The healthier I eat and become, I find myself naturally eating less meat. At this point, the only meat I usually have is fish and chicken. It works out because it allows me to eat more with way less calories and a lot cheaper for the most part. Anyone else feel like this?

No...there's nothing unhealthy about meat...in fact, if you don't eat meat you should be supplementing B vitamins...also protein is pretty awesome. I actually eat more lean meats and poultry and fish than I used to...particularly fish and salmon...mmmmmm

The ONLY nutrient you don't get in a plant-based diet is B12. All other B vitamins are actually more available in plants. It has been shown that you can survive without B12 as well. Meat is actually very unhealthy when consumed regularly--Dr. Otto Heinrich was awarded the Nobel Prize for proving that cancer cells simply CANNOT survive in an alkaline body. Our body's are naturally neutral, and plants make us alkaline (where cancer cannot survive, which is why there are so very many accounts of plant-based diets preventing and CURING cancer). Even lemons alkalize our blood. Animal protein specifically (not plant protein) acidifies our blood. If this happens on a regular (daily) basis, we are constantly acidic and cancer can proliferate.

The average human being will encounter cancer 6x in their life. We will all get cancer at some point, and most of us probably have mutated DNA in us right now. It's whether or not those cells are allowed feed, grow and to reproduce and spread through our whole body. Cancer is not a disease itself, it's a symptom of our failing immune systems. The 'cure' for cancer is not getting it in the first place, and treating the cause(s), not the symptomatic tumours. Our bodies are made to heal themselves. We just have to let them.

So, no, animal protein is pretty damn awful. It's a great, 'complete' food for when plants are scarce and we're going to die if we don't eat, SHORT TERM FOOD, but we were never meant to eat meat all the time, at every meal, every day.

And just for the record, these discoveries were only made in the last year for me. The prior three years I was eating a very high-protein, animal-product diet (before that I was an omnivore too). I loved fish, chicken, pork and dairy--cheese, milk, greek yogurt, and eggs, etc.. It ruined my health literally. I only realize this now, but my body was so acidified that it leached the calcium right out of my bones. (The calcium in milk doesn't make up for the calcium you lose when your body tries to neutralize the acidification from the milk protein). I developed really bad arthritis in my back and knees in the last three years specifically and it's gotten to the point that my spine has worn itself away. The holes that my nerves come out of have been worn away to the point that my nerves have been permanently crushed and damaged and I'll never be the same. This started when I was only 29, when I started eating an Atkins-type diet (high animal protein and inevitably animal fat, low carb). Four months on a vegan diet and my arthritis is gone for the first time in three years.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I am glad you have found something that works so well for you musiche.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    musiche... any citations for your claims?

They're rather outlandish. Particularly claims of cancer rates, your misunderstanding of evolution, and claims of "mutated dna".

Also as a meat eater, I'd love to see peer reviewed research supporting your claims of the evils of animal protein, anything I can do to extend my life would be great, and if there is science showing animal protein is bad, I'd love to see it.

As unfortunately, I have been unable to find any modern research that supports your claims.
  • elephant2mouse
    elephant2mouse Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I'm actually the opposite.
    I toyed with being a vegetarian a couple months ago and gained 20 of the 40 lbs I had lost... I was eating lots of pasta and potatoes though.
    Also I failed at being vegetarian and when I started eating meat again (also became more loyal to mfp ;) ) I'm back down those 20 lbs. :) Just my body/experience... but I'm definitely not giving up my meat again! :D
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    habit365 wrote: »
    (I tend toward being a crapcarbarian if I don't watch it).

Now I have a name for my diet.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,957 Member
    Options
    musiche wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

The ONLY nutrient you don't get in a plant-based diet is B12. All other B vitamins are actually more available in plants. It has been shown that you can survive without B12 as well. Meat is actually very unhealthy when consumed regularly--Dr. Otto Heinrich was awarded the Nobel Prize for proving that cancer cells simply CANNOT survive in an alkaline body. Our body's are naturally neutral, and plants make us alkaline (where cancer cannot survive, which is why there are so very many accounts of plant-based diets preventing and CURING cancer). Even lemons alkalize our blood. Animal protein specifically (not plant protein) acidifies our blood. If this happens on a regular (daily) basis, we are constantly acidic and cancer can proliferate.

The average human being will encounter cancer 6x in their life. We will all get cancer at some point, and most of us probably have mutated DNA in us right now. It's whether or not those cells are allowed feed, grow and to reproduce and spread through our whole body. Cancer is not a disease itself, it's a symptom of our failing immune systems. The 'cure' for cancer is not getting it in the first place, and treating the cause(s), not the symptomatic tumours. Our bodies are made to heal themselves. We just have to let them.

So, no, animal protein is pretty damn awful. It's a great, 'complete' food for when plants are scarce and we're going to die if we don't eat, SHORT TERM FOOD, but we were never meant to eat meat all the time, at every meal, every day.

And just for the record, these discoveries were only made in the last year for me. The prior three years I was eating a very high-protein, animal-product diet (before that I was an omnivore too). I loved fish, chicken, pork and dairy--cheese, milk, greek yogurt, and eggs, etc.. It ruined my health literally. I only realize this now, but my body was so acidified that it leached the calcium right out of my bones. (The calcium in milk doesn't make up for the calcium you lose when your body tries to neutralize the acidification from the milk protein). I developed really bad arthritis in my back and knees in the last three years specifically and it's gotten to the point that my spine has worn itself away. The holes that my nerves come out of have been worn away to the point that my nerves have been permanently crushed and damaged and I'll never be the same. This started when I was only 29, when I started eating an Atkins-type diet (high animal protein and inevitably animal fat, low carb). Four months on a vegan diet and my arthritis is gone for the first time in three years.
    Can anyone say "kool-aid"

• ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Yes, and one trip to the grocery story meat market will give me sticker shock. I tend to buy my meat at Costco and freeze it. I don't eat nearly as much as I used to. I try to eat a completely vegetarian meal a few times a week. As long as I'm keeping up the protein in other ways I just don't worry about it.
  • musiche
    Options

They're rather outlandish. Particularly claims of cancer rates, your misunderstanding of evolution, and claims of "mutated dna".

Also as a meat eater, I'd love to see peer reviewed research supporting your claims of the evils of animal protein, anything I can do to extend my life would be great, and if there is science showing animal protein is bad, I'd love to see it.

As unfortunately, I have been unable to find any modern research that supports your claims.

Hello!

For sure, I'm not going to give you direct links (there would be far too many because there are dozens if not hundreds of studies spanning the last 50 years), unless you want them, but if you're truly interested, look up these:

Dr. Colin T. Cambpell -- started out living/working on a dairy farm, then began studying protein for the US government to help solve the world hunger crisis in the 60's. He stumbled upon the antithesis of his work--that animal fat/protein was actually harming us. He has done countless studies since (one ongoing since the 60's that has never stopped getting funded because it's so relevant -- The China Study [read the book]). Countless studies on animals and people. All supportive of his discoveries.

Dr. Essestyn -- Heart Surgeon. Has also done countless studies spanning decades on the effects of animal fat and protein on the body. Eventually began working with Dr. Campbell and have collaborated on studies together. Countless studies, mostly on his patients and colleagues (nurses and doctors).

Dr. Fuhrman -- again, countless books, studies and application to human study and animal study.

Kris Carr -- who is not a scientist, but cured herself several years ago of cancer when she was given 6 months to live and has made it her life's work in promoting a plant-based diet to prevent and cure cancer. Her book "Crazy, Sexy Diet" provides number footnotes directing you to the links for all of her citations.

Need more?

And really, all you need to do is think for yourself. When the MAJORITY of the planet is living off of a plant-based diet, and they're not dying of heart disease, cancer or diabetes... And in the western world, HALF OF US will die of heart disease alone (not including cancer or diabetes), then really... Food is medicine. We are what we eat. We all know this, but we're literally addicted to fat and salt and the truth threatens our addiction: of course we don't want to believe it.

And if you say you haven't been able to find anything, I know it's because you haven't looked. That's a bit disheartening... I just typed "Animal protein and cancer" in my browser and tons came up in support of what I'm saying (and some against, obviously).

• musiche
    Options

My misunderstanding of evolution -- please elaborate. I don't think there's any debate that we evolved primarily on a mostly plant-based diet, especially when MOST human beings on this planet still consume that diet and most of them never develop heart disease, obesity, cancer or diabetes. Meat-eating was an INFREQUENT thing in our diet, not a staple. Plants have always been our staple.

Mutated DNA IS cancer. Potato potato... Some mutations are good, some are bad. Evolution itself is DNA mutation, and the only reason for the diversity of life on our planet. Of course it's happening all the time... Dr. Colin T. Campbell states that we have three chances to stop or reverse cancer: at the source, when the DNA replicates improperly--our healing mechanism can repair it here. If it fails, we have another opportunity to heal our body when that cell replicates itself (and starts to become a collection of mutated cells, a tumour). After that, our body has the opportunity to isolate that tumour and stop it from growing further. If all three of these mechanisms fail, those mutated cells spread and we die from cancer.

And seeing as you're having such a hard time finding anything on the internet in support of a plant-based diet (>.<), here's some more doctors you can look up:

Neal Barnard, MD
    Dean Ornish, MD
    Michael Klaper, MD
    Jeffrey Masson, MD
    John McDougal, MD
    Russ Curran, Epigeneticist
    etc............

And just to round out that list: Bill Clinton, after having chest pains, was diagnosed with heart disease. He underwent two heart surgeries, and after complications, was recommended a plant-based vegan diet. He lost 30 pounds and REVERSED his heart disease (which does not happen with statins or surgery, they just control the symptoms of heart disease). Heart disease is not NORMAL, at ALL. We need to get passed this mentality that "just because everyone has it, it's ok". Everyone is dying from it, that's not ok.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian diets can be as healthy or more healthy than meat eaters' diets. As someone else pointed out, if you go meatless, you're going to need a B-12 supplement. Ask your doctor how much and what kind. Don't ask the "experts" working in the vitamin store.

I like the Natrol B-12 because it is strawberry flavored. Some B-12s taste terrible. Another perk of the Natrol is that it dissolves super fast. I pop it in my mouth and by the time I'm done getting my other vitamins out of their jars, it's almost done dissolving. If I sounds like I work for them, I don't, lol. I just take B-12. :)

Another thing to keep an eye on is protein. Soybeans are great, but are the only complete protein in the non-meat world. The rest have different kinds of protein, so you want to balance them out. Vegetarian sites on the Internet do a really good job of helping people watch their protein.

You don't need meat. :)
  • musiche
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Vegetarian diets can be as healthy or more healthy than meat eaters' diets. As someone else pointed out, if you go meatless, you're going to need a B-12 supplement. Ask your doctor how much and what kind. Don't ask the "experts" working in the vitamin store.

I like the Natrol B-12 because it is strawberry flavored. Some B-12s taste terrible. Another perk of the Natrol is that it dissolves super fast. I pop it in my mouth and by the time I'm done getting my other vitamins out of their jars, it's almost done dissolving. If I sounds like I work for them, I don't, lol. I just take B-12. :)

Another thing to keep an eye on is protein. Soybeans are great, but are the only complete protein in the non-meat world. The rest have different kinds of protein, so you want to balance them out. Vegetarian sites on the Internet do a really good job of helping people watch their protein.

You don't need meat. :)

Just in addition: B12 lasts in the body for about 3 months, so you don't need to supplement often. Also, there are people that DO survive without it just fine. B12 is also derived from dirt (which is where herbivores get it when they're eating plants right from nature).

And, it's honestly very hard to not get enough protein on a plant-based diet, as long as you're not eating vegan junk food (Oreos, for example, lol). It's just that the western world's protein RDA (recommended daily allowance) is designed in support of the meat and dairy industry (we have the highest RDA for protein compared to the rest of the world). Even still, it's only 46 grams (or 0.8g of protein per kg of body weight) of protein for the average female, and that's easily obtained through whole grains, leafy greens, etc., and soy (if you want, but I rarely eat it, if ever). :)
  • dukslayer4051
    dukslayer4051 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    i eat meat cuz i like it and i am a very efficent hunter so its cheap for me to eat meat