New to MFP. Strength training not for me? Am I alone?

Options
Hello!
I am new here.. Well to the boards at least. I've been using MFP on and off in the past years in between pregnancies and whatnot. Now that family is complete, I am looking to lose the last 10 pounds or so, but seem to be unable so I started logging again to make sure I stay in the right calorie range.

Anyway... I am pretty fit, workout a lot. All the research and science seem to favour strength training over cardio nowadays, so I decided to try it out.. It seems that everytime I focus on strength over cardio, I get larger, can't fit in my clothes properly and look pudgier all over. I also gain weight, like, a lot! It seems like strength training doesn't agree with me. Then I go back to doing more cardio (mainly spinning) and some pilates, and the fat melts off quickly, and I fit in my pants again and the scale starts moving down. Within 10 days!

I'm confused, since everyone seems to insist that I must lift heavy to be ripped. My experience has been so negative with this that I am scared to try again! Anyone else with similar experience so I don't feel alone here?!

Replies

• 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    A well rounded program of fitness will usually involve some kind of strength training. I balance my training with 75% cardio and 25% resistance.
    For you, maybe swimming instead of heavy weight routines?
    The key is finding what works for you and is a routine you can stick with.
    I prefer calisthenics to weight training, so just experiment with different things.
    Good Luck!
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    It's not one or the other, it's doing both. You need to do cardio for endurance and to help with fat loss, and weight lifting will build muscle and core strength as well as tone up areas where you are losing fat -- check out StrongLifts 5x5 for an example routine and keep up with the spinning classes.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    That increase in pudginess is either you are eating too much or just water weight from the strength training.

when one embarked on a new workout routine, esp. strength training, you will tend to retain water in the muscle in order to protect them and aid in recovery. This will pass once you get used to the new routine, but keep in mind, it is not fat! Unless you are in a caloric surplus, then you will gain some muscle, some fat, and some water weight.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    You need strength training eventually especially as you age. I don't lift and don't have much of an interest. Pilates is strength training using your own body weight.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I agree, it doesn't have to be one or the other. I know strength training is vital for helping with my running, retaining muscle mass, burning calories and it's good for my bones so I do it a couple times a week. As I prefer cardio, I do that most of the time. There are others who only do strength training and abhor cardio. Find the balance that works best for you.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    kjm3579 wrote: »
    It's not one or the other, it's doing both. You need to do cardio for endurance and to help with fat loss, and weight lifting will build muscle and core strength as well as tone up areas where you are losing fat -- check out StrongLifts 5x5 for an example routine and keep up with the spinning classes.

this.
  • jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Ok I guess I wasn't clear. In adopting a program that focuses on strength, I don't forgo cardio altogether! It's just that the strength component takes precedence. So, for example, when I started following the intermediate schedule of the Rushfit program, there was 2 cardio days per week, and the other 4 days of training were workout dvd's of strength circuits focusing on core strength, upper bodyy and lower body as well. I broke a sweat, worked out and felt stronger. There was some cardio work in there as well.

My body seems to just respond better to 4 days of intense cardio and pilates for strength training instead of weight lifting and other strength. Does that make more sense to you guys?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Is this all just subjective? Based on you feel and/or think you look? Are you taking measurements?

When you say you gain weight? How much and over what period of time?
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    jvs125 wrote: »
    Ok I guess I wasn't clear. In adopting a program that focuses on strength, I don't forgo cardio altogether! It's just that the strength component takes precedence. So, for example, when I started following the intermediate schedule of the Rushfit program, there was 2 cardio days per week, and the other 4 days of training were workout dvd's of strength circuits focusing on core strength, upper bodyy and lower body as well. I broke a sweat, worked out and felt stronger. There was some cardio work in there as well.

My body seems to just respond better to 4 days of intense cardio and pilates for strength training instead of weight lifting and other strength. Does that make more sense to you guys?

Then do that. At the end of the day, it's all about doing something you can continue while getting both strength and cardio.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    IAll the research and science seem to favour strength training over cardio nowadays, so I decided to try it out

I don't believe this is correct. I think research shows a very clear need for both cardiovascular and resistance exercises.

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Is this all just subjective? Based on you feel and/or think you look? Are you taking measurements?

I would like to know this as well.

Also, specifically what program are you doing and are you logging/tracking all of your food during this time?
  • royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    You don't need to lift heavy weights to do strength training - like others have said, you can do resistance training eg PIlates (which in my opinion won't get you "ripped" if that's what you want, but it is body weights).

This is your life and it's imperative that you feel comfortable doing what it is you do. If you hate lifting weights don't do it. Do something else you can tolerate. That said, lifting weights is awesome and challenging and you will see results and muscles which is great! I think it's really effective and if you give it some time, the results are much more apparent than you'll get doing anything else.

ETA Your pudginess may be in your head, may be bloating from water retention or you may just be eating a lot more than you're burning - lifting weights gives you a good burn which makes you hungry, but it's easy to really overestimate the number of calories you're burning.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    You really want to do both, however cardio is not just for weight loss. The main reason to do cardio is for cardio vascular health. Heart disease is still the #1 killer in America, more than all types of cancer combined, so a regular cardio routine should be part of everyone's exercise regimen. The American Heart Association recommends 150 minutes of moderate cardio exercise per week (or 75 minutes of vigorous cardio). That's quite a lot. To support this, strength training at least twice per week will build the muscles you need to keep the cardio going and help avoid injury.
  • jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    Options

I gained about 6 pounds over the month I was trying it. I injured myself (just pinched a nerved) and stopped until it got better, doing my spinning instead to keep active. Over about 10 days, I lost 3 of the 6 gained. Of course there could be other factors, which is why I started logging my food intake to see where I stand.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Quick gains and losses are explained by water fluctuations. A new strength program will give you an in erase in size for a short period of time, ~2 weeks, because of increased water in the muscles. As you get used to the program the body becomes efficient at repair and doesn't need to hold as much water.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    10 days isn't long enough to really judge progress. A month is better, but even that is a little premature when starting a new routine. And 6lbs is well within normal fluctuation of body weight.

I'm not saying you did or didn't gain/lose... I'm just saying you may want to give it a bit more time, be a bit more patient, especially given all the other factors that could be in play (like calorie intake, water retention, etc).

What type of routine were you on?
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. I'm not a fan of lifting weights or using resistance machines at all. I did learn my lesson though. I was a cardio junkie up until July of this year. I started having issues with my back, went to the chiropractor and was diagnosed with ITBS and SI joint issues. Well, I've been doing about an hours worth of body weight exercises per day targeting core, glutes, and back. I finally feel back to normal now.

Lesson learned. Gotta do strength training.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    When you start using muscle you have not used, it becomes inflamed and you gain water weight. That's normal. Then the muscle heals and you lose the water weight.

If you do nothing but cardio work, you will lose lean muscle over time.

If you continue to do both cardio and strength training, over a longer period of time, you may not see the scale move, but you'll be smaller, because you've traded fat for denser muscle.

The scale is not always an accurate measurement of progress. A better measurement is how your clothes fit and measuring yourself.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

I gained about 6 pounds over the month I was trying it. I injured myself (just pinched a nerved) and stopped until it got better, doing my spinning instead to keep active. Over about 10 days, I lost 3 of the 6 gained. Of course there could be other factors, which is why I started logging my food intake to see where I stand.

You gained 6 pounds in a month? That could easily be fluid retention from exercise or sodium intake, hormonal changes, or over eating. Honestly, it was probably a combination of all of those. Especially since you weren't logging your food. Without tracking, you have absolutely no way of knowing that you were eating in a deficit. And without a deficit, you won't lose weight.

I would urge you to look into a compound lifting routine, coupled with spinning, and logging all of your food. If you are consistent with logging and exercise, you will get the results you want.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

water weight and retention.
    3 pounds is nothing.