I can't ever seem to stay under my calories!!!

Options

Replies

• lemonsurprise
    lemonsurprise Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1,400. Recently raised it from 1,200 and I always have to consciously make up that extra 200 at the end of the day.
    This is coming from somebody who was 225lbs, I'm 5'4 and at one point was addicted to food eating 5000+ calories a day.
    My best advice is to plan meals in advance, especially at the beginning. Replace your meats with veggie options (or vegan alternatives -even better!), and eat loads of veggies.
  • NakeshiaBeard
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    could you consider not eating the Chocolate Almond Butter Protein Balls?

maybe have an oreo instead?

you'd save hundreds of calories

:grinning:

Haha those balls are packed full of calories but I make them myself and can tell you they are a lot healthier than an Oreo!! I've also just recently cut out all sweets and foods high in refined sugar - aside from the odd few squares of chocolate, we all need our treats! I think adding more vegetables is a great idea :-)
  • HereLieWe
    HereLieWe Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    What do you use in the chocolate almond butter protein balls? That sounds delicious. Can I have the recipe?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    So how much exercise do you do?

General comment, I would lower your carbs, add some more protein and fats to help with satiety. And then add more veggies.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    could you consider not eating the Chocolate Almond Butter Protein Balls?

maybe have an oreo instead?

you'd save hundreds of calories

:grinning:

Haha those balls are packed full of calories but I make them myself and can tell you they are a lot healthier than an Oreo!! I've also just recently cut out all sweets and foods high in refined sugar - aside from the odd few squares of chocolate, we all need our treats! I think adding more vegetables is a great idea :-)

Well

they may well be healthier but they are also over 120 calories each and you're logging 3 to 4 of them as a snack most days

Are you surprised you find it difficult to stay at 1400 when you're 'snacking' 360 calories plus on a healthy home-made snack - that's an entire meals worth of chicken, veg, potato

But it's your journey so if it works for you and you get your calorie defecit ... great
  • NakeshiaBeard
    Options
    HereLieWe wrote: »
    What do you use in the chocolate almond butter protein balls? That sounds delicious. Can I have the recipe?

Here's the recipe:

http://m.kidspot.com.au/best-recipes/snacks+13/peanut-butter-protein-balls-recipe+3451.htm

I only use 1/4cup of honey and use coconut oil instead. Also sometimes use almond butter and almond meal instead of peanut butter and oats
  • NakeshiaBeard
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

General comment, I would lower your carbs, add some more protein and fats to help with satiety. And then add more veggies.

At the moment I cycle for 4-5 hours over a week, as well as walking for at least half an hour a day. I also do yoga once or twice a week but I don't log that as it barely burns any calories. I'm aiming to add 3 strength training sessions a week eventually too.

• HBMairi
    HBMairi Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Looks like you're eating convenience foods. Swap them out for homemade stuff, will make you feel fuller. Ive been off plan for the last 8-9 weeks. But I was on 1300 calories and it felt like I was eating a lot as it was all fresh / homemade etc.
  • HBMairi
    Options
    Forgot to say, up your protein intake. Makes you feel less hungry, and lower carbs.

I was doing: Protein 150g, Carbs - 85g and 40g of fats per day, and about 1300 calories
  • NakeshiaBeard
    NakeshiaBeard Posts: 83
    edited October 2014
    Options
    HBMairi wrote: »
    Looks like you're eating convenience foods. Swap them out for homemade stuff, will make you feel fuller. Ive been off plan for the last 8-9 weeks. But I was on 1300 calories and it felt like I was eating a lot as it was all fresh / homemade etc.

Which convenience foods? I make most my meals myself

• psuLemon
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

At the moment I cycle for 4-5 hours over a week, as well as walking for at least half an hour a day. I also do yoga once or twice a week but I don't log that as it barely burns any calories. I'm aiming to add 3 strength training sessions a week eventually too.

Then there is really no need to eat 1200 calories. That mark is generally people who are sedentary or have low metabolisms (not many people). Heck, most women I know eat 1700-2100 and still lose weight.

Based on your stats and using the TDEE method, I would put you at 1800 calories and macros at 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fats.

Also, do you use a food scale?

• NakeshiaBeard
    Options
    Yup I use scales, all my meals marked 12wbt are meals from a weight loss program I did a while back, the recipes are set to be under 400 calories each, everything is carefully measured and weighted, all well balanced and nutritious and made myself
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Yup I use scales, all my meals marked 12wbt are meals from a weight loss program I did a while back, the recipes are set to be under 400 calories each, everything is carefully measured and weighted, all well balanced and nutritious and made myself

12wbt???
  • HBMairi
    Options
    sorry my mistake
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If you aim for a more moderate loss rate and do some exercise you should be fine at 1400. I am 5'3 and about 139, and was at 1400 plus exercise calories for most of the last 25 lbs I've lost. I just made sure I was active before adding any exercise calories (I'd consider all walking and light biking part of daily activity). I ended up eating on average more than 1400 (I'm at 1650 now), but that was with a good amount of exercise.
  • NakeshiaBeard
    Options
    12wbt = Michelle Bridges 12 Week Body Transformation... I completed 3 rounds of the programming, lost and kept off 8 kgs
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    pre-log and don't have your goal so aggressive.
  • mildammm
    mildammm Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Okay, we all know that 1200-1400 calories is not a lot of food. We are trying to lose weight here, and eating less is how it happens. You're bound to get a little hungry at times. A lot of us (formerly) overweight people are afraid of hunger - but that's how we got to be overweight in the first place. Feeling hungry for a couple of hours isn't going to kill you. Hunger isn't evil, it isn't doing anything horrible to you. So calm down. Make your dinner plans, go shopping for ingredients, make food and measure it. The food will taste so much better later.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    AAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!

*pants* :(

1400 doesn't ever seem to be enough calories. I'm always going over! I'm short (5'2") and weigh 147lbs (so overweight according to most charts, I *should* weight around 130lbs) so every gram shows on my frame, and every weight loss calculator tells me I need to eat only 1200 calories AND exercise intensively to lose weight. One calculator even put my on 900 calories :\

I just can't go that low, I would either faint or kill someone from being so hangry!

Anyway, just venting my frustration. I guess all I can do is stick at 1400 calories and up my exercise. Hopefully the lbs start melting off soon!

Hello!

Yea ... for us more 'fun size' peeps (I'm 4'10" :D ), the calories are a challenge ... initially. But once you get use to eating smarter you'll look back & wonder how you could have consumed so much. I use to be able to eat 1 1/2 footlong subs in one sitting. Now I probably still can force myself to consume an entire footlong sub but I'd feel so awful afterwards Ichoose not to. SO your body will eventually adjust consuming less but it will take consistency.

The key for us (shorties) is to:
    • PLAN your meals - HAVE TO. Otherwise yea before you know it you've maxed out your daily calories and it's only 11 a.m. lol
    • Choose foods high in protein & low in calories so that you feel satisfied longer. ie. egg white 12 - 17 calories but very filling.

There's no magic way around it. If you can't reign in your eating the exercise will give very minimal results. As one of the "Biggest Loser" coach Bob Harper said, "you can't out gym a poor diet."

P.S. 900 is WAAAY too low - ignore that. At 4'10" I was on the 1200 daily caloric allotment.

Best of luck to you!
  • Joanjett88
    Joanjett88 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I would suggest looking for alternative snacks other than your protein balls. It seems that they are just way to high in calories to be eating 3-5 in a day. You can get the same amount of protein from other foods with WAY lower calorie intake. This might also help with feeling satisfied through out the day and keep you from going over your goal.

I bet they are delicious, but I would maybe take a break from them for a while and come back to them maybe once you hit maintenance.