I can't ever seem to stay under my calories!!!

Options

Replies

• NakeshiaBeard
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Just to clarify, I'm not eating four protein balls at once! That would be insane. I might eat two as a morning snack to tide me over until lunch, then I'll have another one or two when I get home from work because I'm literally shaking and my blood sugar is gone. I still have to cook dinner and a snack before dinner stops me feeling faint. This is not every day mind, usually just on days that I've cycled to and from work (1 hour ride each way), or been especially busy at work so I'm burning calories from rushing around the office like a headless chicken.

The beauty of having low blood pressure is that I need to eat every 3 hours or so to stop myself becoming faint. I have this problem due to a medication I'm on. Some days it's a fine line between choosing to eat something and going over my calories, or not eating and my body going into meltdown (cold sweats, shaking, nausea, dizzy spells, fainting). I'd rather eat a little more than faint!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    The reason people are focusing on the almond butter balls is that they are 121 calories and only about 6g of protein each, so you could definitely be making choices that are WAY more filling.
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    The reason people are focusing on the almond butter balls is that they are 121 calories and only about 6g of protein each, so you could definitely be making choices that are WAY more filling.

^This. Exactly. Get more bang for the "calorie buck" sort of speak.
  • missyme10
    missyme10 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am the same height and weigh 165lb at present and I get by happily on 1200-1300kcal per day.

I am only ok with the low level because I plan in advance, and I eat an awful lot of vegetables that fill me up - I already know what I will be eating tomorrow.
    I home cook healthy food and freeze, always have portions in the fridge etc. so I never have to make poor choices, and never get caught out.

You can't get by on such low calories any other way, you have to be well organised to achieve a low calorie diet, and you have to make good choices.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Exercise always gives you latitude. And it doesn't make you hungry.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »

^This. Exactly. Get more bang for the "calorie buck" sort of speak.
    For the same number of calories, roughly, as three balls, you could have two apples and a cup of nonfat greek yogurt or a protein shake. Tons more volume, and more protein. You don't have to give up your treats entirely, but you're spending a lot of your calorie budget on something that doesn't take up a lot of room in your stomach and doesn't keep you full for very long.

• cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I know it's already been said, but it really does come down to pre-logging and making filling choices.....veggies, lean protein, and fiber. I don't think I go more than 2 hours ever without eating unless I'm asleep, but I pre-plan and pre-log my snacks generally and try to pick snacks that have some bang for their calories like a snack can of tuna, some raw veggies, or a yogourt. Nothing wrong with the protein balls per se, except you aren't coming in at your goal, so they maybe don't fit well all the time and you need to think outside them. I also noted your beer in recent days. Again, nothing wrong with it, but if you aren't coming in at goal and you're hungry, why waste calories on beer?
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I agree with the pre-planning and spending your calories a bit wiser. The pre-planning really helps and you would be surprised at how much you can fit in with vegetables and lean meats. They keep you full a lot longer.
  • NakeshiaBeard
    NakeshiaBeard Posts: 83
    edited October 2014
    Options
    OK I protein balls aren't the best choice, can we stop focusing on them now!!!

Goodness, I made one batch just to try something new and apparently that's the whole reason for me being over weight? If you look closely protein balls are a vast improvement on my earlier entries that included chocolate bars and cookies! At least the balls have some nutritional value. Obviously I just found them a little tempting and had a couple too many in a day, no biggie!

Anyway, I like the suggestions of more vegetables. I think I might look into juicing some vegetables. I'd rather not over do fruit as it causes havoc with my blood sugars. Berries are usually OK but can be expensive. Thanks so much for all your help everyone :-)
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Did you drop right away from whatever you used to be eating down to 1400? If you're having problems with that amount, try eating how you used to eat and log it. Then drop down 100 calories a week until you get to that 1400 mark. Maybe if your body has a chance to get used to it gradually, you won't feel so ravenous.

I'm 5'1, started at 205 lbs and 1440 calories. Every month or 2, my calories dropped 50 as I lost weight. I'm now down 132 lbs and 1200 calories. Because the change was gradual, I'm ok with that on days I don't exercise. With exercise calories, I'm usually at 1400-1500 calories a day. I have to make smart food choices. I tend to eat a lot less carbs than I'd like, and focus on getting in lots of protein. I'm not low carb by any mean, but when it comes to what keeps me full, protein over carbs any day.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you could slowly decrease the calories and see if that helps. Some people can't just drop down their calories that fast.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    AAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!

*pants* :(

1400 doesn't ever seem to be enough calories. I'm always going over! I'm short (5'2") and weigh 147lbs (so overweight according to most charts, I *should* weight around 130lbs) so every gram shows on my frame, and every weight loss calculator tells me I need to eat only 1200 calories AND exercise intensively to lose weight. One calculator even put my on 900 calories :\

I just can't go that low, I would either faint or kill someone from being so hangry!

Anyway, just venting my frustration. I guess all I can do is stick at 1400 calories and up my exercise. Hopefully the lbs start melting off soon!

I was at 1400 calories for a while. I nearly died (exaggeration, but you get the idea). Up it to 1500. It'll be slower, but you'll still lose.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I tend to eat around 1400 when I exercise (I net 1200), and if I'm eating around 1400, I feel fairly satisfied, but I eat small meals in between. I would agree with everyone about the protein balls. They are very high calorie, and if the problem is that you aren't getting enough food and you're hungry, you would be better off eating snacks that are higher volume and low calorie. Check out my diary. I'm often eating things like cottage cheese or yogurt in between meals. Also, you're drinking some of your calories. If you drink regular coffee with a couple of splenda and skim milk instead of a latte, then that 120 calories toward the latte can go toward a yogurt or a piece of cheese or fruit.
  • Myrmilt
    Myrmilt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I won't look at your diary, but when I have had problems feeling satisfied, I start switching my meals to mostly raw foods, with some fatty substance thrown in. For example, I feel super hungry, my lunch will be 2 whole bell peppers, 3 cups of spinach, an apple, some carrots and about a cup or two of raw broccoli. The protein/fatty substance might be cheese, hummus, or a butter. I don't use dressings. That much chewing tends to inhibit hunger for me. That lunch might max out at 500 - but it takes me a good couple of hours to eat it.
  • Myrmilt
    Myrmilt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Also, a lot of my lunches recently have been canned black beans. A whole can might be 350 calories, it's pretty dang filling.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    OK I protein balls aren't the best choice, can we stop focusing on them now!!!

Goodness, I made one batch just to try something new and apparently that's the whole reason for me being over weight? If you look closely protein balls are a vast improvement on my earlier entries that included chocolate bars and cookies! At least the balls have some nutritional value. Obviously I just found them a little tempting and had a couple too many in a day, no biggie!

Anyway, I like the suggestions of more vegetables. I think I might look into juicing some vegetables. I'd rather not over do fruit as it causes havoc with my blood sugars. Berries are usually OK but can be expensive. Thanks so much for all your help everyone :-)

It's not the reason for you being overweight - it's the reason you find 1400 calories so difficult to stick to

There are lots of small meal options that are quick to prepare that will help with eating frequently and fill you eg

30g porridge made with water with a teaspoon of honey for 100 cals

Slice of toast with low fat cottage cheese, avocado and tomatoes for 160

Huge plate of carrot batons, pepper slices and 40g hummus for 150 calories

Egg white omelette with mushrooms and cheddar cheese for 100 to 150

Hope that helps

• 3lazlow
    3lazlow Posts: 15
    Options
    I'm the same weight and height as you are and I too find eating 1200 calories a day to little. One thing I do is eat 6 small meals a day and drink a glass of water before each meal. The water makes me feel fuller and helps to digest the food faster I find. Stay away from pastas because those are break down into mainly sugars. (Breads expand in your stomach and bloat you, not fill you up, that's why you feel so full after you eat, but then hungry not to long later). That's what's working for me, but I feel your pain lol
  • chicacherry666
    Options
    How is it hard seriously you just need to push yourself to eat healthy cut back on alcohol (so many empty cals) and effing junk food. Just suck it up seriously!!!!! I'm 5'3 eating 1100 calories (I'm 18 I used a calc worked out this my healthy minimum) a day and it's easy as long as you're eating healthy food as it's more filling
  • chrisdraper90
    chrisdraper90 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    AAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!

*pants* :(

1400 doesn't ever seem to be enough calories. I'm always going over! I'm short (5'2") and weigh 147lbs (so overweight according to most charts, I *should* weight around 130lbs) so every gram shows on my frame, and every weight loss calculator tells me I need to eat only 1200 calories AND exercise intensively to lose weight. One calculator even put my on 900 calories :\

I just can't go that low, I would either faint or kill someone from being so hangry!

Anyway, just venting my frustration. I guess all I can do is stick at 1400 calories and up my exercise. Hopefully the lbs start melting off soon!

That's because 1400 is stupid low.

I suggest going onto IIFYM.com using their calculator to work out your proper macros.
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    As has already been said-- eat more vegetables. A cup of most vegetables is about 50 calories (or less). 2 cups makes a very filling meal.