I can't ever seem to stay under my calories!!!

Options

Replies

• Joanjett88
    Joanjett88 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I also agree with pre-logging. I usually log about a week out and it definitely helps me stay in my cal goal.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I don't know how much fat you're eating, but I can only go that low if I eat a higher protein, higher fat diet and really avoid grains in favor of a metric buttload of veggies.

That said, good lord, yes, PLAN your meals! It helps a lot.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    you need to eat food that keeps you full longer, also try drinking water before you eat. our body confuses hunger and thirst. so you could really be thirsty.
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Plan in advance. You'll see where you're at risk of going over and you can adjust accordingly. Sometimes it's as simple as skipping the chicken sandwich and putting your chicken into a big salad instead. I like seeing my day in advance because it helps me make choices. "Okay, if I skip the chai latte tomorrow morning I'll have room for a glass of wine tonight" LOL. What I've come to learn in my struggles with maintenance is that calculated choices need to be made every single day, because if I eat without planning it all goes downhill. Look realistically at what you have to work with (1400 calories) and get creative if you have to in order to make that number work for you. You may need to experiment. I find eating most of my calories after 12 noon satisfies me best and keeps me from feeling hunger.
  • psulemon wrote: »
    So how much exercise do you do?

General comment, I would lower your carbs, add some more protein and fats to help with satiety. And then add more veggies.

At the moment I cycle for 4-5 hours over a week, as well as walking for at least half an hour a day. I also do yoga once or twice a week but I don't log that as it barely burns any calories. I'm aiming to add 3 strength training sessions a week eventually too.

4 to 5 hours a week at cycling is def some calorie burn, are you logging these. Remember if you are not and then you are not taking in calories to replace the excercise, you are in effect starving your body. If your plan is to take in 1400 calories and do 400 calories off of excercise you are essentially only taking in 1000 calories and that is not enough for your body to run on so it kicks in to starvation mode and keeps every bit of fat it can onboard. Strength training will benefit in the long run because every lb of muscle you add burns an additional 50 calories of fat at rest.
    I agree with the suggestions of adding veggies and fruits to your diet...if you don't like veggies then eat MORE FRUIT....use low cal yogurts and fruits and oats to make shakes that are yummy and healthy.
    Good luck in your journey.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Your carb intake is very high and your protein and fat intake is low (with the exception of a couple days).

Try starting your day with protein and fat instead of pure carbs (like oatmeal and bananas). For example, eggs and bacon.

Try to stay away from highly processed foods that are high in carbs. Stick to lean meats, nuts, seeds, fruits, veggies, avocados, olive oil, nut butters, quinoa, etc.

You should NOT be hungry eating 1400 calories a day so if you are, you aren't eating the right foods.

Also, make sure you are drink at least 10 cups of water a day.
  • stonegirldancing42
    stonegirldancing42 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have a 1400 calorie diet and something that works for me is eating similar meals each day. Also, as others are saying, eat as clean as possible.

Best to you.
  • Tammy_1971
    Tammy_1971 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Joanjett88 wrote: »
    I would suggest looking for alternative snacks other than your protein balls. It seems that they are just way to high in calories to be eating 3-5 in a day. You can get the same amount of protein from other foods with WAY lower calorie intake. This might also help with feeling satisfied through out the day and keep you from going over your goal.

I bet they are delicious, but I would maybe take a break from them for a while and come back to them maybe once you hit maintenance.

THIS... and that premium beer.... lol

• LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height and weight as you with a very similar goal weight. I also don't really lose unless i'm eating around 1200 cal/day (or at least under 1300. I've experienced the same thing as you, where I'm so hungry I could kill and eat someone! I have found that if I cut out artificial sweeteners and stick to whole foods with full fat and lots of protein (like steak!), I'm able to stick to 1200 calories without it hurting too much!
    I was shocked at how much cutting out artificial sweeteners helped, since I always had viewed diet coke as a diet aid, but since replacing it with unsweetened sparkeling water, I've been less hungry and less bloated. The research supports this, too.
  • LazyFoodie
    LazyFoodie Posts: 217 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    How long have you been trying to eat 1,400cals? If you are used to eating a lot of carbs and sugar, try eating only low GI foods without working about calories for a few days to get off the crazy blood sugar spike train and you might find that you do not feel so hungry on 1400 cals. If I eat a lot of white rice, bread etc I am constantly hungry every 2 or 3 hours no matter how many calories I am eating. Plus when your body is used to eating a lot, it will probably be hungry when you feed it less because it is expecting more food but the hunger will probably not last for too many days if you are eating foods that keep you full (lots of protein and high volume and low calorie things like soup and vegetables).

For me, after a few days of not eating crazy amounts of easily to digest carbs, I can be pretty full on just 1000-1200 calories of things like vegetables, lean meats, tofu, eggs etc. Because of this even though I'm averaging about 1600 calories a day, I have room in my calorie goal some for some candy, cheese, and some meals out.

If you have only been doing this for a week, try sticking with it a little longer and see if the hunger subsides. Its not sustainable to always be hungry but being hungry for a few days while your body adjusts to a lower calorie intake does not seem like a huge hardship to me.
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    At the moment I cycle for 4-5 hours over a week, as well as walking for at least half an hour a day. I also do yoga once or twice a week but I don't log that as it barely burns any calories. I'm aiming to add 3 strength training sessions a week eventually too.
    What kind of deficit does that 1,400 represent for you? And are you using the MFP method and eating back your calories?
  • MISSYIRENE
    MISSYIRENE Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would cut out the beer for sure. It's not worth wasting calories on that if you could eat them instead.
  • MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Joanjett88 wrote: »
    I would suggest looking for alternative snacks other than your protein balls. It seems that they are just way to high in calories to be eating 3-5 in a day. You can get the same amount of protein from other foods with WAY lower calorie intake. This might also help with feeling satisfied through out the day and keep you from going over your goal.

I bet they are delicious, but I would maybe take a break from them for a while and come back to them maybe once you hit maintenance.

+1
  • LoraKay131
    LoraKay131 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    i log my calories before i eat, in the morning, over coffee. :) that way i can tweak it as needed. :)
  • Debbjones
    Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    1400 calories is more than enough to keep you full. Swap out junk food for more healthy stuff, like fresh fruits and veggies. Drink water. Eat lean, white meat. Whole grain breads. Low or no-fat dairy.

It is really hard to get to 1400 every day if you eat only healthy food. You're just so stuffed.

Totally agree with this^ I haven't eaten 1400 calories in one day once, in over 2 years. With my small frame that is how I maintain my 90 pound weight loss. I achieved my numbers by reading all food labels and going with the mentality every calorie matters! I cut out virtually all fried foods, never use butter or margarine and consume a lot of salad, vegetables and fish. When I eat breads, I go for lite, multigrain options that offer high protein and low calories (40 calories per slice).

Reading food labels totally changed my life... (well that, sugar elimination and portion control).

You can do this! ;)
  • susanb573
    susanb573 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    1. Exercise daily. You get more calories.
    2. For the love of humanity drop the four ball a day habit. That is 1/4 of your daily calories and the carbs make me cringe.
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I agree that planning ahead helps a lot. When I plan my meals ahead, I can see what snacks I can enjoy (some days it may be strictly fruit, other days I may be able to enjoy something a little sweeter). When I don't pre-plan (and I think we all have those days at times), I usually am way over.
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I don't know how much fat you're eating, but I can only go that low if I eat a higher protein, higher fat diet and really avoid grains in favor of a metric buttload of veggies.

+1

I eat a rotation of steak, chicken breast, fish and pork for meats always with a huge pile of veg typically roasted with EVOO. I am not having issues with hunger, but if I am going to have a beer it's going to be in addition to the 1400 calories of food I am going to eat. Much under 1400 of food and unless I am having a very unusual day I will be more hungry than I want to be.
  • nomad1000
    nomad1000 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I am eating just a bit more than you (1440/day) and know that I have to keep my snacks to a minimum every day (no way can I have 360 cals of snacks and then booze too, I would be starving).

I see those calorie "expensive" treats every day. 360 is a lot of calories on something that must not be very filling. Throw the booze on top and of course you are going to be hungry. Cut out some of the treat balls and add in some good protein rich items. That will help make you feel full longer. On days you drink, skip them all together since you need the cals for your protein. Did I mention that getting enough protein will help with the hunger? :-D

Pre-logging is also great because it gives you a road map for the day and means it is less likely you will end up with no cals at the end of the day. For me, today, since I knew I was going to have lots of treats (a doughnut for breakfast and caramel popcorn in the afternoon as a snack) I am having soup with chicken, good on the protein levels, for both lunch and dinner since it is low cal and filling.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    could you consider not eating the Chocolate Almond Butter Protein Balls?

maybe have an oreo instead?

you'd save hundreds of calories

:grinning:

Haha those balls are packed full of calories but I make them myself and can tell you they are a lot healthier than an Oreo!! I've also just recently cut out all sweets and foods high in refined sugar - aside from the odd few squares of chocolate, we all need our treats! I think adding more vegetables is a great idea :-)

If the protein balls put you over your calorie goal, and an Oreo does not, the Oreo just became a healthier choice.