Gave up sugar (added sugar) feel great for it

Options

Replies

• IIGuardian
    IIGuardian Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating sugar 9 and a half years ago. By sugar, I mean desserts of any kind -- cake, pie, cookies, donuts, sweet breads, and anything like that. That includes all the sugar-free varieties of desserts also. I gave them up because I couldn't stop eating them once I started, and I ended up weighing 215 pounds.

Here are the benefits I felt immediately: no period cramps. No crazy mood swings. No massive weight gains (in fact, I lost 20 pounds in about three weeks). No more homicidal rages. No more canker sores. Food like broccoli and fish and water tasted better.

I do eat non-dessert foods with refined sugar (Cheerios, ketchup, pizza) but I try to make sure that refined sugar is at least the fourth or smaller (fifth, sixth, etc.) ingredient in my meal. Sometimes I have a muffin for breakfast, so sugar is about 50 percent of my meal, but I pay for it later in the day because I start to feel moody and angry.

I don't feel nasty or in a bad mood when I eat fruit (yogurt, Cheerios, and applesauce, or cereal with a banana, or an orange in the afternoon, or a fruit salad with lunch). I have learned that chicken with mango salsa and pasta sets me off into a rage -- I don't know why, since ham and pineapple pizza is just fine. Anyhow, my point is that sugar in fruit doesn't mess me up while a Snicker's bar will send me down the rabbit hole.

So my overall point is, for some of us, refined sugar ("added sugar") is the devil while fruit ("natural sugar") is just fine.

I know this is tl;dr so thanks for all of you who stuck with me this far!

Great read. I'm going on almost three weeks in adopting a nearly identical lifestyle change. Nothing I've ever tried has given me such positive results and seemed so completely sustainable. Dare I say these changes are pretty damn easy? I am constantly full before reaching my calorie limit, because I can eat plenty of food when there is no allotment for sugary junk. It's nice to hear from someone who has been doing this for almost 10 years. Cheers.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    bett_boop wrote: »
    Also food like cakes and desserts tend not to have so many other nutrients, so if you are on a calorie restricted diet then you could be using a large portion of those calories on something with little nutrition.

so if I take a fiber capsule with my cheesecake it is now "better" because I have added "nutrients"…..

I'm assuming you know that fiber isn't a nutrient and are being argumentative for the Lolz. Unless you didn't know... In which case I assume you'll want to research that further.

In regards to your initial post I'm assuming you meant to say "is op claiming NATURAL sugar is better for you than added sugar". You had it mixed up which is why so much confusion stemmed from that post. As far as I could tell she didn't make such claims, she only shared a behavior that's benefited her.

Anyway, if cutting out "added sugar" helps assist in lowering overall calorie consumption then more power to OP. Generally if OP is getting sugar from "natural" sources it will be found in a low calorie, high micronutrient (vitamins and minerals), and high fiber package. If you're going to opt for something sweet why not get the biggest nutritional bang for your calorie buck?

I personally understand your argument that sugar is sugar, but that doesn't really matter in this context as op is not making fanatical dietary claims about how she's a doctor or such and such study proved naturally occurring sugar is molecularly different from non-natural sources and some fake voodoo magic is behind her feeling better. She never said "I am a reputable source for this information, I have proof, and this is the way it is (fact)".

We understand that she is simply a member of the general public and is providing anectodal evidence. Quite frankly if a new member runs across this topic and takes her advice as proof of the above without researching anything for themselves I'm sad to say their ignorance is their own problem.

Also, I'll just mention one last thing. The forums are here for people to share their experiences, learn, and interact with like minded people. So long as someone is sharing their experience and not providing intentionally or unintentionally dangerous/unfounded advice they should have an opportunity to share their experience.

For example, let's say someone chooses a low carb lifestyle and its helped them stick to their calorie goals and they've found success. There's no reason for us to all flood their thread and tell them how much of an idiot they are and why they're wrong. If it's worked for them then we can support them for finding something that worked for them and wish them luck on their way.

I think it's generally understood that we are not medical professionals, researchers, or the like capable of sharing most information as fact. If someone is spouting complete nonsense that is harmful sure, call them out, but let's not argue just for the sake or arguing.
  • tahni
    tahni Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    All of these comments from people not understanding the harm of added sugars is slightly alarming....

I definitely haven't completely given up added sugars (take 5's are just too good) but when I do cut out processed foods (laden with sugar and salt) I feel immensely better. Everyone questioning why the OP would ever give up added sugars should try it before they bash it. I remember how energized I felt every single day this summer when I wouldn't touch most processed foods.
  • sarahscrivner
    Options
    This is a really good lecture on the effects of fructose on the body: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    tahni wrote: »
    All of these comments from people not understanding the harm of added sugars is slightly alarming....

I definitely haven't completely given up added sugars (take 5's are just too good) but when I do cut out processed foods (laden with sugar and salt) I feel immensely better. Everyone questioning why the OP would ever give up added sugars should try it before they bash it. I remember how energized I felt every single day this summer when I wouldn't touch most processed foods.

No, it's alarming how people demonize sugar, and that is what people are getting called out on here.

How do you know that people sharing their opinions with the OP have not given up sugar for various reasons?

So, what I'm reading is, for you, giving up processed foods has increased your energy. That's wonderful. However, it's not the same for everyone else, and it does not mean there is anything wrong with processed foods.

Some people function just fine on sugar and processed foods and are able to control their weight and feel just fine.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

No, it's alarming how people demonize sugar, and that is what people are getting called out on here.

How do you know that people sharing their opinions with the OP have not given up sugar for various reasons?

So, what I'm reading is, for you, giving up processed foods has increased your energy. That's wonderful. However, it's not the same for everyone else, and it does not mean there is anything wrong with processed foods.

Some people function just fine on sugar and processed foods and are able to control their weight and feel just fine.

Here here! What a productive topic this has become! :)
  • Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I agree that cutting sugar is beneficial. Not 100% necessary if you are on a balanced diet, but certainly helpful.

But we are all different.

Please share why.

Why are we all different or why is it beneficial?

I'll answer the second. In my opinion sugar is a little like alcohol, an "empty calorie". In my anecdotal experience swapping sugar for stevia in tea and also trying to minimise my intake is resulting in a better weight loss for this stage* over the few weeks I have been trying it, as well as less hunger. And to clarify, I get most of my sugar intake from fresh fruit, mostly in the mornings.

That isnt to say I wont ever have a dessert if it fits into my diet/exercise plan etc. And it is just an opinion.

*I lost most of my weight in 2012/13 and didnt really worry too much about sugar at that point, just kept a balanced diet. But since hitting 80kg its been far harder to lose weight and so I figured for this post summer crack at MFP I'd try reducing sugar. So far the graph looks better than when I was doing MFP post summer a year ago.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Also food like cakes and desserts tend not to have so many other nutrients, so if you are on a calorie restricted diet then you could be using a large portion of those calories on something with little nutrition.

so if I take a fiber capsule with my cheesecake it is now "better" because I have added "nutrients"…..

I'm assuming you know that fiber isn't a nutrient and are being argumentative for the Lolz. Unless you didn't know... In which case I assume you'll want to research that further.

In regards to your initial post I'm assuming you meant to say "is op claiming NATURAL sugar is better for you than added sugar". You had it mixed up which is why so much confusion stemmed from that post. As far as I could tell she didn't make such claims, she only shared a behavior that's benefited her.

Anyway, if cutting out "added sugar" helps assist in lowering overall calorie consumption then more power to OP. Generally if OP is getting sugar from "natural" sources it will be found in a low calorie, high micronutrient (vitamins and minerals), and high fiber package. If you're going to opt for something sweet why not get the biggest nutritional bang for your calorie buck?

I personally understand your argument that sugar is sugar, but that doesn't really matter in this context as op is not making fanatical dietary claims about how she's a doctor or such and such study proved naturally occurring sugar is molecularly different from non-natural sources and some fake voodoo magic is behind her feeling better. She never said "I am a reputable source for this information, I have proof, and this is the way it is (fact)".

We understand that she is simply a member of the general public and is providing anectodal evidence. Quite frankly if a new member runs across this topic and takes her advice as proof of the above without researching anything for themselves I'm sad to say their ignorance is their own problem.

I was being facetious…

sarcasm much..?

as for what I bolded, if you think that then you have not been on MFP long enough ...
  • ndj1979
    Options

please explain how "added" sugar is more harmful than "natural" sugar….

As an FYI - we have already establish that they are the same in this thread…

• rainbowbow
    edited October 2014
    Options

I was being facetious…

sarcasm much..?

as for what I bolded, if you think that then you have not been on MFP long enough ...

I've been on MFP since mid 2011. ;)

But I recognize at this point that as a community we aren't responsible for the failure and success of each individual member.

But that's irrelevant, I shant derail this thread. Teehee.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I was being facetious…

sarcasm much..?

I've been on MFP since mid 2011. ;)

then I don't know why you would think that...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    IIGuardian wrote: »
    I stopped eating sugar 9 and a half years ago. By sugar, I mean desserts of any kind -- cake, pie, cookies, donuts, sweet breads, and anything like that. That includes all the sugar-free varieties of desserts also. I gave them up because I couldn't stop eating them once I started, and I ended up weighing 215 pounds.

Here are the benefits I felt immediately: no period cramps. No crazy mood swings. No massive weight gains (in fact, I lost 20 pounds in about three weeks). No more homicidal rages. No more canker sores. Food like broccoli and fish and water tasted better.

I do eat non-dessert foods with refined sugar (Cheerios, ketchup, pizza) but I try to make sure that refined sugar is at least the fourth or smaller (fifth, sixth, etc.) ingredient in my meal. Sometimes I have a muffin for breakfast, so sugar is about 50 percent of my meal, but I pay for it later in the day because I start to feel moody and angry.

I don't feel nasty or in a bad mood when I eat fruit (yogurt, Cheerios, and applesauce, or cereal with a banana, or an orange in the afternoon, or a fruit salad with lunch). I have learned that chicken with mango salsa and pasta sets me off into a rage -- I don't know why, since ham and pineapple pizza is just fine. Anyhow, my point is that sugar in fruit doesn't mess me up while a Snicker's bar will send me down the rabbit hole.

So my overall point is, for some of us, refined sugar ("added sugar") is the devil while fruit ("natural sugar") is just fine.

I know this is tl;dr so thanks for all of you who stuck with me this far!

Great read. I'm going on almost three weeks in adopting a nearly identical lifestyle change. Nothing I've ever tried has given me such positive results and seemed so completely sustainable. Dare I say these changes are pretty damn easy? I am constantly full before reaching my calorie limit, because I can eat plenty of food when there is no allotment for sugary junk. It's nice to hear from someone who has been doing this for almost 10 years. Cheers.
    I've been eating fairly similarly for about13 years. So glad I made the change. It's been much easier to maintain my weight loss all these years.
  • PotentiallyCrazy
    PotentiallyCrazy Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    conniedj wrote: »
    I have cut out refined sugar completely, as well as processed food as a result of it making me feel so yuck all the time. Over the years, I have come to understand the way my body responds to certain things.....I have NO tolerance (physically) for HFCS or Sugar made from sugar beet. And I know when I eat something that contains either one ( the lymph nodes in my neck swell)(My Dr. said it's probably due to the chemicals in the GMO's). I also definately notice the instant headache I get if I eat refined sugar.....and subsequent crash in blood sugar.

I always love seeing the "sugar is sugar" argument......I have never gotten sick from fruit and beg to differ. It seems that those in the scientific community would probably agree with me.

Great article in Scientific America about the difference in a short term consumption of fructose and glucose: http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/post/not-all-sugars-are-created-equal-2009-04-20/?id=not-all-sugars-are-created-equal-2009-04-20

So OP--way to go!!!

Thank you for the article! It is hard sometimes to explain the differences in sugars to people. HFCS is something I definitely avoid whenever possible, because your body processes it differently as well as the whole GMO craziness. That can take such a toll on a person's body.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    nadiabear1 wrote: »
    someone care to explain how "added" sugar is better than "natural" sugar….?

Fruit which has natural sugar has nutrients in it

i did not ask about nutrients…I asked why one form of sugar is superior to another …

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

i did not ask about nutrients…I asked why one form of sugar is superior to another …
    :trollface: WHY does it matter to you? Seriously? You've spent a lot of energy telling everyone they are wrong. Why does it matter what WE like to do? It's such a weird diet phenomenon.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I agree that cutting sugar is beneficial. Not 100% necessary if you are on a balanced diet, but certainly helpful.

But we are all different.

Please share why.

To use your words: because of how it makes us feel.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    50sFit wrote: »
    Well I'm not amazing right now coz I'm sick but I gave up things with added sugar entirely about 3 months ago, plus I stopped eating red meat 1 and a half months ago and haven't eaten fast food since primary school coz I hate the taste. I feel more energetic however I allow myself to eat sugar 10 days in the year and I make sure I follow through after awhile you don't even miss it it's the first 2-4 weeks that are hardest now I don't look back!!!
    Once I started logging my food intake, I saw how much sugar I was eating.
    OUCH!
    I cut that in half and still eat well. I was killing myself with sugar and did not realize it.
    Mmmmmmm.....

How so?
    I was 278 pounds, suffering sugar resistance and borderline diabetic.
    After moderating sugar, I felt better and my numbers went back to normal. This is how I began my weight loss journey.
    People consume way too much sugar in our nation, and this is nothing new.
    Jack Lalanne warned us 60 years ago...

• ndj1979
    Options

:trollface: WHY does it matter to you? Seriously? You've spent a lot of energy telling everyone they are wrong. Why does it matter what WE like to do? It's such a weird diet phenomenon.

because I am curious and want to know why someone would think that…

I am not talking about how it makes YOU feel, I am asking why, when we have already established that added sugar and natural sugar are the same, that one is somehow superior to another.

You are free to stop replying to me whenever you like...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

because I am curious and want to know why someone would think that…

I am not talking about how it makes YOU feel, I am asking why, when we have already established that added sugar and natural sugar are the same, that one is somehow superior to another.

You are free to stop replying to me whenever you like...
    LOL. you're "curious".

This discussion has been closed.