Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    nadiabear1 wrote: »
    someone care to explain how "added" sugar is better than "natural" sugar….?

Fruit which has natural sugar has nutrients in it

i did not ask about nutrients…I asked why one form of sugar is superior to another …
    :trollface: WHY does it matter to you? Seriously? You've spent a lot of energy telling everyone they are wrong. Why does it matter what WE like to do? It's such a weird diet phenomenon.

because I am curious and want to know why someone would think that…

I am not talking about how it makes YOU feel, I am asking why, when we have already established that added sugar and natural sugar are the same, that one is somehow superior to another.

You are free to stop replying to me whenever you like...
    LOL. you're "curious".

yes, curious as to why added sugar is the devil and natural sugar is manna from heaven ...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

i did not ask about nutrients…I asked why one form of sugar is superior to another …
    :trollface: WHY does it matter to you? Seriously? You've spent a lot of energy telling everyone they are wrong. Why does it matter what WE like to do? It's such a weird diet phenomenon.

I am not talking about how it makes YOU feel, I am asking why, when we have already established that added sugar and natural sugar are the same, that one is somehow superior to another.

LOL. you're "curious".

yes, curious as to why added sugar is the devil and natural sugar is manna from heaven ...

hyperbole thy name is ndj1979. :drinker: cheers.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options

LOL. you're "curious".

For me added sugar brings nothing else to the table. Natural sugar does.
    With sugar from fruit I also get fiber, vitamins and minerals.
    When I eat candy, I get sugar - way too much sugar and nothing else beyond those empty calories.
    I get your point. Sugar is sugar. We can't live without it.
    My point is all this demineralized, processed junk with added sugar gives me way too much of a good thing, and for me it was addictive.
    No thanks to that!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited October 2014
    Options
    50sFit wrote: »

LOL. you're "curious".

For me added sugar brings nothing else to the table. Natural sugar does.
    With sugar from fruit I also get fiber, vitamins and minerals.
    When I eat candy, I get sugar - way too much sugar and nothing else beyond those empty calories.
    I get your point. Sugar is sugar. We can't live without it.
    My point is all this demineralized, processed junk with added sugar gives me way too much of a good thing, and for me it was addictive.
    No thanks to that!

And how it makes us FEEL (for the short term, for the long term) is perfectly germane to the conversation. And I KNOW without a doubt, that my continued conscious limiting of refined sugars and refined foods in general is why I'm part of the very small minority of folks who've kept their weight off for a long long time. No doubt about it.

• 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    And how it makes us FEEL (for the short term, for the long term) is perfectly germane to the conversation.
    What has this conversation to do with the Germans?
    haha - just kidding... >:)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    50sFit wrote: »
    And how it makes us FEEL (for the short term, for the long term) is perfectly germane to the conversation.
    What has this conversation to do with the Germans?
    haha - just kidding... >:)
    LOL!

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    bett_boop wrote: »
    Also food like cakes and desserts tend not to have so many other nutrients, so if you are on a calorie restricted diet then you could be using a large portion of those calories on something with little nutrition.

This is the key. My problem is when people try to suggest that it goes beyond that, that even if the foods fit in your calories or you choose to organize your diet differently to cut other things you see as not especially nutritious to keep some dessert items in, that it's more healthy or virtuous or you will feel better if you cut sugar.

For example, people like to give a litany of symptoms that cutting (added) sugar cured them of, and if it caused me such symptoms I'd probably avoid it, but it does not, certainly not in the amounts I currently consume.

I just don't understand the love for cutting items and announcing it to the world. Cake rarely fits into my diet and so I rarely eat it. But why give up cake? It's possible to almost never eat it if that's what I want without some silly rule, and then I don't feel like I'm cheating if I share a piece of cake at some special dinner out or otherwise choose to have some once in a while and I learn to turn down offered cake without having to claim that added sugar is the devil or something I'm allergic to or being all in your face about not eating it. But maybe I'm reading to much into this from other similar threads.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

I'm not in favor of cutting out "added sugar" but the obvious difference is that one typically comes with nutrients and one does not. What most people mean is that they are giving up high calorie low nutrient foods.

Of course, one wonders why this means that you must make adding a bit of sugar to some rhubarb or maybe to some steel cut oats verboten, and why high calorie low nutrition foods without sugar get a pass--it all seems illogical--but I do think that's usually the basic idea.

The other being a claimed inability to eat sugary treats in moderation which is clearly not about sugar itself, or people would be gorging on bananas.
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I'm not in favor of cutting out "added sugar" but the obvious difference is that one typically comes with nutrients and one does not. What most people mean is that they are giving up high calorie low nutrient foods.

Of course, one wonders why this means that you must make adding a bit of sugar to some rhubarb or maybe to some steel cut oats verboten, and why high calorie low nutrition foods without sugar get a pass--it all seems illogical--but I do think that's usually the basic idea.

The other being a claimed inability to eat sugary treats in moderation which is clearly not about sugar itself, or people would be gorging on bananas.

I wonder if it's related to how easy it is to eat. I'm guilty of seriously overeating fruits, and I love juice so much it rarely gets a place in my refrigerator, for the same reason that cookies rarely show up in my pantry. (I also limit the higher calorie no sugar foods-I'll eat as much peanut butter without sugar as I will peanut butter with added sugar.)
  • lemurcat12
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Maitria wrote: »

I wonder if it's related to how easy it is to eat. I'm guilty of seriously overeating fruits, and I love juice so much it rarely gets a place in my refrigerator, for the same reason that cookies rarely show up in my pantry. (I also limit the higher calorie no sugar foods-I'll eat as much peanut butter without sugar as I will peanut butter with added sugar.)

I think it's mostly just that some find the combination of fat and sugar (butter, flour, sugar, usually) extremely palatable and yet it's carby enough to be less filling or have that sugar spike thing that makes some hungry.

I can generally eat sweet treats in moderation, but I know ice cream is no problem at all, whereas a pie would be more challenging, although I think that's more psychological. The ice cream will be fine In the freezer, whereas with the pie it has to be eaten before it goes bad.

Fruit has fiber which just makes it more filling, but for me the desire to overeat isn't really about hunger anyway, and I don't find that I have some uncontrollable urge with sweets that I don't with cheese or steak, although those two are more filling IMO.

Funny this is all about the rule against sugar and not red meat. I'd rather give up added sugar if I had to choose.
  • bett_boop
    bett_boop Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Also food like cakes and desserts tend not to have so many other nutrients, so if you are on a calorie restricted diet then you could be using a large portion of those calories on something with little nutrition.

This is the key. My problem is when people try to suggest that it goes beyond that, that even if the foods fit in your calories or you choose to organize your diet differently to cut other things you see as not especially nutritious to keep some dessert items in, that it's more healthy or virtuous or you will feel better if you cut sugar.

For example, people like to give a litany of symptoms that cutting (added) sugar cured them of, and if it caused me such symptoms I'd probably avoid it, but it does not, certainly not in the amounts I currently consume.

I just don't understand the love for cutting items and announcing it to the world. Cake rarely fits into my diet and so I rarely eat it. But why give up cake? It's possible to almost never eat it if that's what I want without some silly rule, and then I don't feel like I'm cheating if I share a piece of cake at some special dinner out or otherwise choose to have some once in a while and I learn to turn down offered cake without having to claim that added sugar is the devil or something I'm allergic to or being all in your face about not eating it. But maybe I'm reading to much into this from other similar threads.

"when we have already established that added sugar and natural sugar are the same" not when the GI is different.
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Someone has chosen to omit something from their diet, and is proud of what they have achieved, but everyone's turning it into a sugar war!
    congrats chicacherry, on choosing what to omit and sticking to it :D
    i've cut alcohol, as the calories just aren't worth it.

Yes congratulations honey, be proud of what you have achieved.

For me, too much sugar is an addiction. It is like a little devil inside me, with huge tentacles forcing me to eat everything in sight which leads to me feeling sick, headachy and generally unwell. (Probably candida).

I limit fruit to two or three pieces a day and try to stay away from as much junky sugar as I can. Works for me and my body thanks me for it. :)
  • bett_boop
    bett_boop Posts: 89 Member
    Options

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/spotlight-low-gi
  • LeslieTSUK
    LeslieTSUK Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I gave up all sugar, best thing I ever did, grinz
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited October 2014
    Options

I feel the same with "IIFYM" converts. It's it fits 40/30/30 regardless of what it is, it's superior. RegardLess of what their 40/30/30 is composed of. Rather than what work for them. I'm not talking the whole "you don't get extra credit for eating more vegs. I'm talking about IT IS SUPERIOR AND THE ONLY WAY posts I see often here. I guess all zealots and recent converts seem annoying to others. Again. We've covered this territory before. And you don't see the IIFYM zealots as annoying or even zealots perhaps. But on the other side, I do. Perhaps we should say IIFYM too then Point out our carb goals. Dunno. Cheers
  • tahni
    tahni Posts: 45 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    tahni wrote: »
    All of these comments from people not understanding the harm of added sugars is slightly alarming....

I definitely haven't completely given up added sugars (take 5's are just too good) but when I do cut out processed foods (laden with sugar and salt) I feel immensely better. Everyone questioning why the OP would ever give up added sugars should try it before they bash it. I remember how energized I felt every single day this summer when I wouldn't touch most processed foods.

please explain how "added" sugar is more harmful than "natural" sugar….

As an FYI - we have already establish that they are the same in this thread…

Personally, I think it's quite obvious that eating a cookie is less healthy than eating an apple. A tomato sauce made without additional sugar is inherently better for you than one that contains the sugar of the tomatoes plus sugar that is added in. Thank you for that "fyi." Sugar does indeed usually come from sugar cane and sugar beets. Crazy. The seeds of apples have cyanide- Just because it has a "natural" source doesn't mean I want to eat them.

In all due respect, perhaps you should post a thread on why you think that foods that have sugar added to them are beneficial. That way you and all the other posters who are "pro added sugar" can enjoy each other and we can all enjoy the people that think similarly to us.

I think we would all appreciate it if you would stop replying to all of our comments and move on. We all are happy avoiding added sugars and I can't see what else you expect to get out of pestering all of us. Have a good day friend.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,149 MFP Staff
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to provide a brief explanation for locking this topic.

The forum guidelines include this item:

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic in an existing thread, and post new threads in the appropriate forum. Taking a thread off-topic is considered hi-jacking. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    Olivia
    MyFitnessPal Community Manager
This discussion has been closed.