30 lbs in 90 days challenge

Options

Replies

• BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    That sounds highly aggressive and probably not sustainable.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    That's more than 2 lbs a week, or, quite a bit more than 1,000 cal deficit a day would be required. Seems like a set up for failure.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 pounds in the first 60 days. 140 by 1 year anniversary. Over 160 by 20 months and have been maintaining for almost 1 year now. How much you have to lose and how determined you are play a huge roll.

The statistics are staggering for the sustainability for most of us. Over 90% gain back weight.

Nothing can stop you if you are determined and work with your doctor's approval and advice.
  • snowflake930
    Options
    P.S. and many people here have lost even more in a shorter time. Just saying, it can be done.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    yes, it can be done - by burning muscle, which will in turn mean your body will burn less calories in the long run, making it harder to keep weight off. most of the people here who lose weight fast say they keep losing the same weight over and over.

also losing that fast is against the mission statement of the group, which are to " lose the weight in a natural and healthy way" and "learning to eat better and changing our habits", but you can't learn healthy eating habits by losing weight too fast to be healthy.

you can lose fast OR you can use patience and lose healthy while learning new eating habits. the two just don't go together.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    Options
    P.S. and many people here have lost even more in a shorter time. Just saying, it can be done.

Right but not at the sacrifice of muscle. Which, I happen to enjoy looking leaner at goal and not risk jeopardizing my overall health.

You're right, it can be done...it doesn't make it correct
  • snowflake930
    edited October 2014
    Options
    You are right it does not necessarily make it correct.

My point that I clearly did not make is that a huge percentage of people, and believe it or not that includes the ones that do it "correctly" (however that determination is made), will gain back weight.

BTW, who determines what is correct, because I decided with the help of my physician, not from advice on an internet forum, and my advice is not worth any more, or less than yours, and it has worked for me so far 31 months into this.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    Options
    You are right it does not necessarily make it correct.

My point that I clearly did not make is that a huge percentage of people, and believe it or not that includes the ones that do it "correctly" (however that determination is made), will gain back weight.

BTW, who determines what is correct, because I decided with the help of my physician, not from advice on an internet forum, and my advice is not worth any more, or less than yours, and it has worked for me so far 31 months into this.

Look, the ability to keep the weight off doesn't make the path that was chosen to do so right or wrong. Anyone can relapse into old habits.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/weight-loss/expert-answers/fast-weight-loss/faq-20058289

the morbidly obese may have to do an extreme diet for health reasons. YOU were under medical supervision and clearly had far more to lose than OP. With less weight to lose, the body is more likely to have negative health impact including lowered RMR and muscle loss, hair loss, and I'm sorry health to me is a far more important factor then getting the weight off quickly.

My friend actually jumped on a Shakeology bandwagon and combined it with a VLCD and did so for a year. She lost weight very rapidly but now suffers from a metabolic disorder.

When I weigh the options...unless I were at risk of death by not losing weight rapidly, I would choose slow and steady, every time.

• snowflake930
    edited October 2014
    Options
    That is you, and that is wonderful, and right for you. Congratulations! Slow and steady DOES NOT guarantee long term success any more than losing rapidly does. Everyone is different in how their metabolism works. We have to find what WORKS and is sustainable for ourselves, with our doctors advice. We can not determine that for others. Weight loss is not sustainable without making permanent changes in eating habits, and the overwhelming statistics back this up. Your friend is one person, it does not mean this happens to everyone. Did your friend do this with a doctors approval? If so, I hope she found another doctor.

BTW, my biomarkers were all good when I started. I was fortunate to only have an issue with bad knees, which is hugely improved now. I was not at risk of death because of my weight. I have done this without the aid of surgery or pills. Just by eating less and not eliminating any foods, other than trying to avoid processed foods as much as possible, but not totally. Lean meats and fish, fresh or frozen fruits and vegetables, low fat dairy, whole grains. Water is my beverage of choice, but I do have an occasional glass of wine. So this is sustainable...................for me. I don't know what the future will bring, but I will continue to log on MFP for as long as I am able. Hopefully, I will not revert and be part of the huge statistic that gains back weight. That is my long term goal.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I understand that a lot of people on MFP lose weight at 0.5lbs a week, and that's cool. But I don't think the 2lb/weekers should be deamonized. Maybe they just have more weight to lose, maybe that's just where their body settles with weightloss.

My micro goal is to lose 10lbs a month. My mini goal is 30lbs by Jan 1st. They are nice round numbers, I like the sound of them. Are they aggressive? Yes. But it more means that I wont slack off and be lazy and think, "oh but I can just eat 700 more cals and still lose weight" and then the next day, "oh well an extra 800 cals and I'll still be at a deficit..."
    Making myself actually WORK for it keeps me focused. Keeps me striving to be better, be healthier.

I eat lots of protein, lift weights and do cardio. I don't cut out any food groups and make sure to watch my nutrition. And I don't do ANYTHING to try to lose the weight that I dint think I could do for the rest of my life.

It's possible to lose 2lbs/week in a safe, healthy way.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    30 lbs in 90 days is almost 2.5 lbs a week. 10 lbs a month is 2.5 lbs a week. That's really aggressive. It doesn't seem very wise to shoot for a number that requires a 1200-1500 calorie deficit (think about how many calories one would have to burn overall, and how little one would have to eat, to even carve out such a deficit). Good luck, but I think this is a set up for unnecessary self-inflicted pain and disappointment.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I think its ambitious amd how you lose the weight is importnat. I note peoples concern about losing extra muscle, but you should also consider what the weight is of the individual as well. Heavier people can lose the weight more eaily than those who have les to lose.

The MFP suggestion is 1-2lb a week. Its nearly 13 weeks so 26lb. The extra 4lb, then I wouldnt be worried too much about it and you cna take action to limit the muscle loss. All depends how you do it.

The danger of an ambitious target is that you start beating up on yourself if you fail or you have an unprepared unhealthy approach. The key to getting the extra 4lb imo would be exercise incluing some weights.
  • missjazminenicole
    missjazminenicole Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    That sounds highly aggressive and probably not sustainable.

Everyone is welcome to go at their own pace. However, 30 lbs in 90 days is only 10lbs a month. that's only a bit more than 2lbs a week. That's the rate I'm losing at now by just watching my portions, choosing healthier foods, and exercising a few times a week. This may work for some but not others. But shoot for whatever goal is best for you! Our goal is to provide encouragement here :)
  • missjazminenicole
    Options
    I understand that a lot of people on MFP lose weight at 0.5lbs a week, and that's cool. But I don't think the 2lb/weekers should be deamonized. Maybe they just have more weight to lose, maybe that's just where their body settles with weightloss.

My micro goal is to lose 10lbs a month. My mini goal is 30lbs by Jan 1st. They are nice round numbers, I like the sound of them. Are they aggressive? Yes. But it more means that I wont slack off and be lazy and think, "oh but I can just eat 700 more cals and still lose weight" and then the next day, "oh well an extra 800 cals and I'll still be at a deficit..."
    Making myself actually WORK for it keeps me focused. Keeps me striving to be better, be healthier.

I eat lots of protein, lift weights and do cardio. I don't cut out any food groups and make sure to watch my nutrition. And I don't do ANYTHING to try to lose the weight that I dint think I could do for the rest of my life.

It's possible to lose 2lbs/week in a safe, healthy way.

I love your response! Your approach seems great. My mindset and journey seems quite similar to yours. Just healthy eating, portion control, and moderate exercise :)! Everybody has a different body. Do what is most healthy for yours!
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options

Op how much weight do you have to lose?

Those who have a large amount of weight to lose can see these results at the beginning of their diet, but as you reduce your bf% and body mass these results become dangerous and unhealthy goals.
  • missjazminenicole
    Options
    That is you, and that is wonderful, and right for you. Congratulations! Slow and steady DOES NOT guarantee long term success any more than losing rapidly does. Everyone is different in how their metabolism works. We have to find what WORKS and is sustainable for ourselves, with our doctors advice. We can not determine that for others. Weight loss is not sustainable without making permanent changes in eating habits, and the overwhelming statistics back this up. Your friend is one person, it does not mean this happens to everyone. Did your friend do this with a doctors approval? If so, I hope she found another doctor.

BTW, my biomarkers were all good when I started. I was fortunate to only have an issue with bad knees, which is hugely improved now. I was not at risk of death because of my weight. I have done this without the aid of surgery or pills. Just by eating less and not eliminating any foods, other than trying to avoid processed foods as much as possible, but not totally. Lean meats and fish, fresh or frozen fruits and vegetables, low fat dairy, whole grains. Water is my beverage of choice, but I do have an occasional glass of wine. So this is sustainable...................for me. I don't know what the future will bring, but I will continue to log on MFP for as long as I am able. Hopefully, I will not revert and be part of the huge statistic that gains back weight. That is my long term goal.

Your plan sounds great! This is also my approach. Life style change. By no means am I suggesting that everyone crash diet lol. Let's do this the healthy way and be proud of whatever results we get!
  • missjazminenicole
    Options
    I would just like everyone to consider that no one loses weight at the exact same rate. What natural and slow weight loss is for one person may be different than what your natural slow rate loss is. That's life. For me, 2.5lbs a week is coming off with out much extra work. I am not crash dieting. I just decided to eat healthier and eat in a bowl instead of on a platter lol. Do what works for you. The entire point...if you read the title of the group, is to make a LIFE STYLE CHANGE. However you have to do it that makes it sustainable for you, that is the way you should do it :)
  • missjazminenicole
    Options

Those who have a large amount of weight to lose can see these results at the beginning of their diet, but as you reduce your bf% and body mass these results become dangerous and unhealthy goals.

I'd say roughly 70 lbs total from beginning to end.
  • Jennifer10723
    Jennifer10723 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this for 15 weeks and have lost 31 pounds so far. That is about 2 pounds a week.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options

I'd say roughly 70 lbs total from beginning to end.

You may be able to sustain this for a few months, but I would suggest every 20lbs dropping your goal loss by 1/2lb a month.