30 lbs in 90 days challenge

Options

Replies

• BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Just for reference I eat 1400 cals a day in balanced meal in smaller portions.

See, now are you netting that? Because that doesn't sound that bad if you eat some of your exercise calories back. To attain 3 lbs up you'd have to be eating like a bird. The reason I jumped the gun is, typically to lose an aggressive amount of weight we're talking like 900 gross calories. People who are under eating and being reckless. Sure 30 in 3 months might sound catchier but be careful what crowd that attracts. There are a lot of people with ED on mfp or calorie counters in general. My worry is the encouragement to lose weight recklessly.
  • missjazminenicole
    missjazminenicole Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Just for reference I eat 1400 cals a day in balanced meal in smaller portions.

See, now are you netting that? Because that doesn't sound that bad if you eat some of your exercise calories back. To attain 3 lbs up you'd have to be eating like a bird. The reason I jumped the gun is, typically to lose an aggressive amount of weight we're talking like 900 gross calories. People who are under eating and being reckless. Sure 30 in 3 months might sound catchier but be careful what crowd that attracts. There are a lot of people with ED on mfp or calorie counters in general. My worry is the encouragement to lose weight recklessly.

Ya I understand, but I'm eating super healthy and also not killing myself in the gym. I net about 3 days a week in the gym and I pretty much fall between 1200-1400 a day in cals. But the whole point is a life style change. Yes, we're doing the challenge but all of the encouragement is to do your best while doing it healthy and making it a life style change. By no means do i encourage anyone to harm their body. But no harm in shooting for the stars the healthy way :)
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I think this is fine as long as you don't think falling short constitutes a failure. There are many of us who have had similar goals and have made very positive life style changes. The fact that we started out losing 2plus lbs and then started to slow down wasn't due to not giving it a decent effort or that we didn't have the gumption to shot for the stars. So, as long as you don't develop a "by any means necessary" approach and this happens, good for you. However, if you start to have less weight loss per week but continue to see progress, you will also be a success. The problem is that sometimes folks have big (and perhaps unrealistic) plans and when they don't happen they throw in the towel. Wherever you start, the key is to know where you want to get to and keep an eye on this. The speed to which you get there isn't as important as staying healthy and motivated. I wish you the best on your journey and hope you reach your weight loss and health goals (whenever!)
  • bazarn
    bazarn Posts: 80 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    When I was obese I lost at around 10 lbs a month, partially because, well, I was obese, and, well, I wanted to get out of the obese range due to the ever impending threat of prediabetes hanging over my head. After losing the first 50 lbs or so I've since lost slowly (being that I feel I'm out of the "danger" region now, and am now 65 lbs into my weight loss btw, with no real rush to get to goal), so I think it really depends on what your reasons are for losing weight, and how much you have to lose. But, I would guess that you're right that it's not the best thing for the average person, nor would I encourage a "challenge" to lose that much; too harmful for the psyche I think. Hard to say though.
  • bazarn
    bazarn Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    NextPage wrote: »
    I think this is fine as long as you don't think falling short constitutes a failure. There are many of us who have had similar goals and have made very positive life style changes. The fact that we started out losing 2plus lbs and then started to slow down wasn't due to not giving it a decent effort or that we didn't have the gumption to shot for the stars. So, as long as you don't develop a "by any means necessary" approach and this happens, good for you. However, if you start to have less weight loss per week but continue to see progress, you will also be a success. The problem is that sometimes folks have big (and perhaps unrealistic) plans and when they don't happen they throw in the towel. Wherever you start, the key is to know where you want to get to and keep an eye on this. The speed to which you get there isn't as important as staying healthy and motivated. I wish you the best on your journey and hope you reach your weight loss and health goals (whenever!)

This. Exactly why I mentioned a challenge could potentially be hard on the psyche. But, like I said, it allll depends.
  • missjazminenicole
    Options
    The challenge starts tomorrow! Are you guys ready to weigh in :) ???
  • missjazminenicole
    Options
    For those of you who joined the challenge. Don't forget today is week 2 weigh in! Go weigh in here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10010991/week-two-weigh-in-11-14-14
  • missjazminenicole
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10032603/week-6-weigh-in-12-12-14 Week 6 weigh in is today! Go weigh in if you are apart of this challenge :)
  • missjazminenicole
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10034957/week-7-weigh-in-12-19-14#Head

Go weigh in for the 30lbs in 90 days challenge! We're halfway there! I'm at 14 down total for the challenge and we've just hit halfway mark. Where are you? We started October 31st. We welcome newbies to join on and use their loss as starting from that date!
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I started my life style change at the 1st of October.
    I lost about 51 pounds.
    Insane ..yes
    But i am happy with it. I eat around the 1350 calories a day ( was 1200) but i am doing it slowly up because i started walking 3 miles a day and some exercising.

I feel wonderful
    My out of breath and heart racing has stopped and is normal again. My BP went from 152/112 to 123/73 in those 11 weeks.
    and my high blood sugar level is normal again.
    I was holding water in my left knee and ankles and hands ( all gone).
    This is all monitored btw.

Indeed losing a lot of weight can be dangerous But being extreme obese too. I had the option. Excepting the horrible feeling i was going to die or do something about it.
    So i did something about it.

All healthy food, i eat 6 times a day.
    No adding sugar or salt. And careful with grain products.
    Walk a minimum of 10K steps a day
    Lots of water.
    I can eat everything only in moderation ( i weigh everything) Everything fresh.
    Fish/meat/nuts/fruit/vegetables/lets not forget herbs/ some dairy and grain products.
    I make and develop my own recipes ( i had a restaurant when i was younger and love cooking) And next to that i listen to my body, when it asks for more like 2 weeks ago i up my calories. I have no gravings, nor being hungry.

People here jump on you ( me) when i say/tell/post this.
    Warn me about the danger and anorexia people who jump on my post because of all the weigh loss. But consider this. Those kinda people with an ED, will find always an excuse to criticize their body. And i would be happy if they eat 1350 calories a day because at least they eat something. Besides that, i am not responsible for the fact that they have the wrong idea about them self and find them self overweight or ugly fat. They will find all over the internet the information they want to hear. Not what they really need to do. They only pick out the info that suits them.

I am on my own life style journey and it works for me. This doesn't mean it works for somebody else. But it seems that people always find the need to judge, criticize others. In the end your all self responsible for your actions.

oh and btw.... i know in time the weight loss slows down.. A lot of water weight in the beginning ( and i had a lot).

• missjazminenicole
    Options
    I started my life style change at the 1st of October.
    I lost about 51 pounds.
    Insane ..yes
    But i am happy with it. I eat around the 1350 calories a day ( was 1200) but i am doing it slowly up because i started walking 3 miles a day and some exercising.

I feel wonderful
    My out of breath and heart racing has stopped and is normal again. My BP went from 152/112 to 123/73 in those 11 weeks.
    and my high blood sugar level is normal again.
    I was holding water in my left knee and ankles and hands ( all gone).
    This is all monitored btw.

Indeed losing a lot of weight can be dangerous But being extreme obese too. I had the option. Excepting the horrible feeling i was going to die or do something about it.
    So i did something about it.

All healthy food, i eat 6 times a day.
    No adding sugar or salt. And careful with grain products.
    Walk a minimum of 10K steps a day
    Lots of water.
    I can eat everything only in moderation ( i weigh everything) Everything fresh.
    Fish/meat/nuts/fruit/vegetables/lets not forget herbs/ some dairy and grain products.
    I make and develop my own recipes ( i had a restaurant when i was younger and love cooking) And next to that i listen to my body, when it asks for more like 2 weeks ago i up my calories. I have no gravings, nor being hungry.

People here jump on you ( me) when i say/tell/post this.
    Warn me about the danger and anorexia people who jump on my post because of all the weigh loss. But consider this. Those kinda people with an ED, will find always an excuse to criticize their body. And i would be happy if they eat 1350 calories a day because at least they eat something. Besides that, i am not responsible for the fact that they have the wrong idea about them self and find them self overweight or ugly fat. They will find all over the internet the information they want to hear. Not what they really need to do. They only pick out the info that suits them.

I am on my own life style journey and it works for me. This doesn't mean it works for somebody else. But it seems that people always find the need to judge, criticize others. In the end your all self responsible for your actions.

oh and btw.... i know in time the weight loss slows down.. A lot of water weight in the beginning ( and i had a lot).

I love your post. Thanks for sharing and congrats on your lifestyle change and weight loss. People are quick to criticize but we're all just doing our best as healthy as possible. Keep it up! Sounds like you are doing great :)
  • DeterminedFee201426
    Options
    lol
  • The_WoIverine
    The_WoIverine Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I find it pretty funny how most of the answers are about "too aggressive" and "you won't be able to sustain it".

I personally think it is possible unless the person is not used to workout hard (I understand not everybody is at the same fitness level) and do walks in the park for a workout. It wasn't my goal, but doing P90X I lost 30 lbs in 90 days. So yes, it is possible.

Also, sustainable? That applies for fast and slow weight lost. If the person losing weight focuses on doing this for 90 days and then stop working out and go back to bad eating habits, anyone will gain the weight back. Nothing new there.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I find it pretty funny how most of the answers are about "too aggressive" and "you won't be able to sustain it".

I personally think it is possible unless the person is not used to workout hard (I understand not everybody is at the same fitness level) and do walks in the park for a workout. It wasn't my goal, but doing P90X I lost 30 lbs in 90 days. So yes, it is possible.

Also, sustainable? That applies for fast and slow weight lost. If the person losing weight focuses on doing this for 90 days and then stop working out and go back to bad eating habits, anyone will gain the weight back. Nothing new there.

What is being discussed, as far as I read it, is people who may have only about 30-50 lbs to lose. Losing that weight at the clip required to finish in 90 days would be aggressive, and come at a caloric level that would be hard to sustain and at the sacrifice of LBM.

If you have 100lbs to drop, ya...30 in 90 is doable. If you have less than 50, then that may be asking too much. It's about the context.

My main point in responding though:

It has nothing to do with whether or not a person is used to working out hard, and if you need to continue to "workout hard" to maintain....you're doing it wrong. Your fitness level should have zip, zero, zilch to do with it..

• morganeats
    morganeats Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It can be done, not by everyone I'm sure but I believe a lot of people underestimate themselves. This guy dropped over 100lbs in just 5 months with a strict but simple approach.

reddit.com/r/loseit/comments/2q73l1/male_24_years_old_61_295_to_191_lbs_in_5_months/
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    It sure can be done and not for everybody maybe. Everybody is different I am pretty lucky that i have no hunger and no gravings at all.
    I lost 52 pounds now since the first of October and still going strong.

Of course you have to watch what your doing. My daily goals are getting all my nutrition in that i need. And when my body asks for more i up my calories. I get fitter so my exercises get heavier and longer. So you need more fuel. I started with those 1200 for some weeks and now i am around the 1450. Some days over some days under. All depends. But as soon as i notice that i need more, i will go to 1500 a day.

I also get a kick out of the postings..."you lose fast so you will gain it back fast too".
    Its all about the calories in and out. That's all.
    I lost 60 pounds in 9 months before and didn't gain it back for more than 20 years.
    The moment i was tied to a chair and couldn't work or do any kind of sport ( had an injured leg) i started gaining about 10 pounds.

So the whole myth "you lose fast so you will gain it back fast too" i dont believe in.
    When you maintain you just have to watch it that you dont eat more calories than you burn...that's all.

Pretty simple system ;)
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I lost 41lbs in 3 months (as of yesterday). I work out 5x a week and spend my calories very wisely. I don't feel hungry or weak. I may have lost muscle but it's not discernible to me. I lift heavy can see more and more definition as the fat burns off. I've worked out for more than 20 years prior to gaining weight (after an injury and surgery). I kept a lot of the muscle I had so I think that's helped me.

I have no interest in losing weight really slowly. In 3 months my endurance and fitness level has increased significantly. I feel so much better and can't wait to get all the way back to a normal weight for my height and body composition. Whether I gain it back will not depend on how fast I lost it. I hated being fat and it really caused me physical problems. I never want to experience that again.
  • veronakings
    Options
    awesome astrose. I wish I saw this thread in October. i'm totally in.